Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 am 

Osore wrote:
Astra Zeneca has been renamed to Vaxzevria, which sounds even worse. Both give me oriental feel and zero metal references, yikes.

No, that's definitely even more Therion-like. :D

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:22 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Osore wrote:
Astra Zeneca has been renamed to Vaxzevria, which sounds even worse. Both give me oriental feel and zero metal references, yikes.

I'm not familiar with Therion's music, I know them only by the name. That fortune teller reference reminded me of local references to vidovita Zorka and kraljica Kleopatra ''shows''. XD
Spoiler: show
:lol:

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm 

Osore wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Osore wrote:

I'm not familiar with Therion's music, I know them only by the name. That fortune teller reference reminded me of local references to vidovita Zorka and kraljica Kleopatra ''shows''. XD
:lol:

Talk about a blast from the past. :D

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:18 am 

The nicest thing about doing tool updates on a Saturday is the quiet. I can concentrate because no-one else is logged in & competing for attention. Sharepoint/InfoPath is a horrible crabby bastard, too, so having peace and quiet is lovely :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 pm 

Hey, I did another strongman show today. Let’s talk about it!

Videos of all my event runs:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CODxcGDJoO0/

Tl;dr: Came in 10th of 13, Iron Cross is the hardest thing ever, and I significantly PR’d on keg loading.

Long version: I competed in Peabody, MA today in my second strongman contest ever. It was my first contest as a heavyweight, and I ended up being 260 lbs. for this (I normally walk around in the low 240s).

First event was a 225 lbs. axle clean and press for reps, and I ended up getting 2 reps. Looking at the video, I definitely could have tried for a third, but just didn’t. Oh well, do better next time. Placed T-8th with one other athlete that only got 2 reps as well.

Second event was a 550 lbs. wagon wheel axle deadlift for most reps. Straps were disallowed, and that plus the weight led to all but three of the 13 athletes in my weight class zeroing the event, myself included. Can you even say you tied for 4th when you’re tying with a bunch of other 0’s? I guess so.

Third event was 500 lbs. yoke run for 75 feet. We ended up using a super wide yoke for this event, and it was considerably harder than the one I used back in September’s contest. Made it in 27.10 seconds, putting me in 10th for this event. All but one of us finished the run, and the one guy who didn’t actually blew his bicep out less than 1/3 of the way through and had to withdraw from the contest. I saw his bicep after and it was completely torn off the bone and rolled up his arm to his shoulder, so it was BAD. I hope he recovers and can make a comeback.

Fourth event was the Iron Cross/Barry carry. For those unaware, an Iron Cross in strongman is a big cylinder with handles on the top. You lift it from the floor, hug it, and walk. It was supposed to be 275 lbs. for 50 feet one way and then 50 feet back, but I put it right back down the moment I lifted it up. Every bit of stress possible was placed entirely on my hamstrings, and it was such a shock to the system that I legit felt I was gonna pop something in either leg if I tried walking with it. Husafell carries do not translate over to this at ALL. Three other dudes zeroed this, putting me tied for last one this one. Better safe than sorry.

Last event was 250 lbs. keg over a 52” bar. I knew going into this that I would do good here, as this event easily felt the best in training. The most I ever managed to do in training was 210 lbs. for 4 reps, and I got 6 here with the 250 keg, tying me for 7th in the event since five other guys got 7 reps and one got 8. I actually went through the entire event after me thinking I only got 5 reps, and looking at the video showed me that I actually did better than I thought on this. Yaaaay.

Overall, it was an incredibly fun day, and I cannot wait to compete again in June. Now to pig out on junk the rest of the day before starting to slim down. I am so happy I’m not doing the June show as a heavyweight, as I’m more than excited to not be 260 lbs. anymore going forward.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:46 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Osore wrote:

Astra Zeneca:
1.A'arab Zaraq
2.Sitra Ahra
3.Astral Sophia

Vaxzevria:
1.Evocation of Vovin
2.Lemuria
3.Quetzalcoatl

And this one which seems close to both:
Adulruna Rediviva

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:35 am 

What are you all’s experiences with synesthesia? It’s a very interesting phenomenon and I’ve realized after much research that if I do in fact have some degree of synesthesia, it is probably what is termed mirror pain synesthesia (not nearly as cool as the other types of synesthesia out there for sure).

I cannot watch or replay any type of injury for the life of me. It’s the strangest thing, I can watch “fail” videos of people falling and all sorts of stuff all day, but if there is any pretext of a serious injury or even death mentioned or surrounding the incident, I cannot for the life of me watch it. Perhaps it’s a safeguard I learned to flip on based on some sort of early now unconscious trauma dormant within my psyche...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:17 am 

A family friend clearly has synethesia, and a really classic case as well. She's a retired orchestra musician, and if play any note on an instrument to her, and she can immediately name it. To her it's as easy as being shown numbers and naming them. She sees the notes as distinctive colours.

She also has the usual associated difficulties with differentiating between left and right.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:26 am 

I had a classmate who could smell a food as soon as anyone mentioned it.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:08 am 

I'm curious to understand what synesthesia is like. I found a video which I'll link below which claims to simulate the condition. If anyone who has experience with it could confirm it'd be great.

https://youtu.be/obrBAysVef0

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:00 am 

Synesthesia is one of those things (of which there are many) that I keep meaning to educate myself on, but I haven't yet taken the time to narrow down the literature to something cursory and accessible that I can digest in a few sittings. Some half-baked and unscientific reflections in spoilers:

I half-suspect that my initial, semi-informed impressions concerning synesthesia are way off, because I haven't to my satisfaction pinned down a fundamental difference between people who have synesthesia and people who don't. It amounts in my mind (given my various unexamined philosophical prejudices) to the statistically uncommon reflex-association of thoughts/stimuli from different conceptual or sensory "compartments" - as in, e.g., the reflexive tendency to associate the letter "A" with the color red; a much more common example would be (or would it be?) the association of nausea with the color green. (But there seems to me something sketchy about calling the former synesthetic and the latter non-synesthetic, as the two associations aren't fundamentally unlike one other...? One pairing is just vastly more uncommon than the other.)

(To make matters worse, Wikipedia tells me that some people consider misophonia a form of synethsesia; and when I first heard of misophonia, my reaction was, "Doesn't everyone have that in some way or another? Hence 'nails on a chalkboard'...?")

Some very preliminary hunches/guesses I'd like to see confirmed or corrected by people who happen to know better:

-At the risk of sounding grossly ignorant and presumptuous: Try as I might to imagine differently, people with synesthesia probably don't literally experience (e.g.) the tastes of colors or the personalities of numbers, simply because colors don't have tastes, nor numbers personalities. To suppose otherwise threatens to imply, at worst, an unbridgeable gulf between my understanding of my experience of the world, and my understanding of anyone else's experience of the world - or certain pervasive aspects thereof. (Similarly with inverted spectra - e.g., "What if my green is your red?") It seems desirable (unavoidable?) to think that all sentient beings - or at least the vast majority of human beings - have a (largely) common experiential medium or (largely) common experiential reference-point, in terms of general character; I can readily make sense of someone saying, "I dislike the taste of chocolate" (even if I love chocolate), but not so much, "I dislike the taste of purple."

-But what to make of someone who does "dislike the taste of purple"? Maybe the best explanation is somewhere in the neighborhood of, "This person's mind tends to very vividly think of or conjure a disagreeable taste-sensation whenever s/he sees something purple." An alternative view which would countenance the thought that purple can taste like something, would be comparable to the view that (e.g.) one's visual imaginings literally are invisible, spatially extended objects that manifest themselves before "the mind's eye." (Point being: These, interpreted literally, seem like very extravagant views; it isn't entirely clear to me that they're even possibly true. What could the "mind's eye" possibly be?)

(Somewhat separately: I've halfway convinced myself that visual imaginings are, or are akin to, felt dispositions to focus on (or, if prompted, gesture toward) certain items in one's environment. When I imagine an apple, it's not that there's an "invisible, immaterial apple somewhere in my head"; it's that I'm feeling what it's like to be disposed to point out an appropriate object and say, "That's an apple.")

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:58 am 

kalervon wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Osore wrote:

Astra Zeneca:
1.A'arab Zaraq
2.Sitra Ahra
3.Astral Sophia

Vaxzevria:
1.Evocation of Vovin
2.Lemuria
3.Quetzalcoatl

And this one which seems close to both:
Adulruna Rediviva
I don't hear similarities between Vaxzevria and 3 listed words, just in Lemuria/Zevria.
Philosopher Seneca comes to mind.
----------------------------------------

I believe the first time I heard about synesthesia was in literature classes devoted to French symbolists. I use it sometimes when I write, but it takes some time to invent such vivid connections - I'm clearly not a synesthete, although it is true we all use it in conversations sometimes (''heavy smell'', ''sharp smell'', ''screaming colour'', ''odour bites/pinches'', ''bitter experience'' is something I use in Serbian, and we are all aware of ''bittersweet'' and ''blue'' connotation in English).

Unknown terms explained:
Quote:
The triggering experience is known as the inducer and the connected experience the concurrent.

Quote:
Synaptic pruning, a phase in the development of the nervous system, is the process of synapse elimination that occurs between early childhood and the onset of puberty in many mammals, including humans. Pruning starts near the time of birth and continues into the mid-20s.

Enjoy
Quote:
Why isn’t Everyone a Synesthete?
Virtually everyone in modern industrialized societies has learned to use letters and calendars, but most do not have colors for each letter, or convoluted spatial forms for calendars. If synesthesia develops as part of a strategy for learning about such things, then why do we not see more synesthetes? There are a number of plausible answers to this question.

First, the development of synesthesia may be possible only during critical periods of development, when the systems responsible for processing and representing inducers and concurrents are plastic enough to allow such unusual connections to form. Our review of the adult training literature found some evidence that non-synesthetic adults can have experiences that resemble certain aspects of synesthesia after training for a long enough period of time. However the highly structured and long-lasting inducer–concurrent relationships of full-blown synesthesia may require early plasticity.

Second, a specific neurological profile that goes beyond mere plasticity may be required for the development of synesthesia. Numerous researchers have suggested, for instance, that synesthesia is caused by unusual connectivity between brain areas responsible for processing stimuli from the inducer domain and areas responsible for concurrent experiences. Such connectivity could take the form of structural differences, such as more axonal projections or more heavily myelinated projections between these areas (cf. Ramachandran and Hubbard, 2001b), or functional differences such as less inhibitory activation from other areas (cf. Grossenbacher and Lovelace, 2001), or some combination of these factors (Brang et al., 2010). A large number of studies have now confirmed that adult synesthetic brains differ in various ways from those of non-synesthetes (for recent reviews, see Hubbard et al., 2011; Rouw et al., 2011), including unusual connectivity in brain areas associated with inducer and concurrent representation, although there is still debate about whether these differences cause or are caused by the constant conjunction of inducers and concurrents (cf. Cohen Kadosh and Walsh, 2008).

Third, a specific genetic profile might be a prerequisite for the development of synesthesia. For instance, it is commonly suggested that the unusual connectivity associated with synesthesia stems from genetic mutation (e.g., Maurer, 1993; Ramachandran and Hubbard, 2001b), possibly to a gene (or genes) involved in the modulation of neural pruning during development (e.g., Baron-Cohen et al., 1993; Bailey and Johnson, 1997; Hubbard and Ramachandran, 2005). Until quite recently, a relatively simple genetic trigger for synesthesia seemed quite plausible. Synesthesia was thought to be rare, with rates as low as one in 2000 in the general population, yet almost 50% of first-degree relatives of synesthetes were reported to be synesthetes, representing a thousand-fold increase (Baron-Cohen et al., 1996; Barnett et al., 2008). Evidence suggesting a strong link between synesthesia and gender bolstered this genetic interpretation. The ratio of female to male synesthetes was reported to be as high as 6:1, and one well-cited study found an 8:1 ratio of female to male family members (synesthetic or not) of synesthetes (Baron-Cohen et al., 1996; Ward and Simner, 2005; Barnett et al., 2008). Moreover, in almost all reported cases of familial synesthesia, the trait was passed along the maternal line (Baron-Cohen et al., 1996; Ward and Simner, 2005; Barnett et al., 2008). Such findings were consistent with a simple (i.e., single-gene) X-linked pattern of inheritance, possibly one that was lethal to males in utero (Bailey and Johnson, 1997). However later research increased sample sizes and avoided several methodological flaws, and overturned most of these findings. While there is clearly a strong tendency for synesthesia to run in families, as has been known for over a century (Galton, 1883), synesthesia is far more common in the general population than was thought, with rates of grapheme–color synesthesia alone being placed at about 1% (Simner et al., 2006). Furthermore, there is no difference in the number of males and females in the families of synesthetes, ending speculation about X-linked lethality (Ward and Simner, 2005; Barnett et al., 2008). There is also likely little or no difference in the actual rates of female and male synesthesia (Simner et al., 2006, 2009a), previously reported differences likely stemming from differences in response biases between the sexes. Finally two direct genetic studies of synesthetes found multiple loci of interest for synesthetic inheritance that differed between the two studies, and were consistent with multiple modes of inheritance being involved in synesthesia (Asher et al., 2009; Tomson et al., 2011).

So there is almost certainly no simple genetic story to tell, no single gene or group of genes that “turns on” synesthesia. Still, there is clearly a genetic influence on synesthetic development, or more accurately a range of genetic influences. These could take the form of influences on neural pruning or inhibition, as is favored by many researchers, but they could equally be influences of another kind, such as a multi-factor genetic influence on the “synesthetic personality” described above. Whatever the nature of the genetic influences, they contribute to the relative rarity of synesthesia.

All neurological and genetic accounts, however, have the same shortcoming: they do not explain why almost all synesthetic inducers are explicitly taught, culturally dependent, categories (Day, 2005; Rich et al., 2005; Simner et al., 2006). If synesthesia is simply the result of a hyperconnected brain, then why do almost all the connections begin with objects of formal instruction? If grapheme–color synesthesia develops from an innate link between shapes and colors (Maurer et al., 2012), why do adult grapheme–color synesthetes not report colors for all shapes? At the very least, genetic and neurological accounts need to be able to answer these questions, and we see no way of doing so without a theory that places learning at the forefront of synesthetic development.
Watson, Marcus Robert, et al. "Synesthesia and learning: a critical review and novel theory." Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 8 (2014): 98.

Quote:
Synesthesia refers to additional sensations experienced by some people for specific stimulations, such as the systematic arbitrary association of colors to letters for the most studied type. Here, we review all the studies (based mostly on functional and structural magnetic resonance imaging) that have searched for the neural correlates of this subjective experience, as well as structural differences related to synesthesia. Most differences claimed for synesthetes are unsupported, due mainly to low statistical power, statistical errors, and methodological limitations. Our critical review therefore casts some doubts on whether any neural correlate of the synesthetic experience has been established yet. Rather than being a neurological condition (i.e., a structural or functional brain anomaly), synesthesia could be reconsidered as a special kind of childhood memory, whose signature in the brain may be out of reach with present brain imaging techniques.
Hupé, Jean-Michel, and Michel Dojat. "A critical review of the neuroimaging literature on synesthesia." Frontiers in human neuroscience 9 (2015): 103.

https://www.communication.aau.dk/research/knowledge_groups/cnn/synesthesia/synquest/
https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-psych-113011-143840 Ward, Jamie. "Synesthesia." Annual review of psychology 64 (2013): 49-75.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:03 pm 

Don’t know if this is synesthesia or not, but when I listen to certain albums, I can taste what I was eating when I first heard it.
Metsatoll’s “Aio” = Thai Kitchen instant peanut stirfry noodles and Blackthorn cider
Candlemass’ “Nightfall” = Blair’s Death Rain potato chips
Primordial’s “Imrama” = Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 pm 

⬆ I would say it is association/attachment of your memory of a song with the taste you felt while you were eating and call it ''retroactive memory'' rather than typical synesthesia. I'm a visual type and I often can go back in time visually through music attached to the time I heard it for the first time. Actually, there are albums I associate with entire time periods in my life, what I was doing then and how I was feeling. Also, people often associate past memories with smells and it's not a coincidence because olfactory nerve sends signals to piriform cortex that further connects with structures associated with creation and processing of memories. And again, this is not synesthesia, a random, automatic connection of x and y from X and Y concept groups, but very specific connection.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 pm 

Osore wrote:
I don't hear similarities between Vaxzevria and 3 listed words, just in Lemuria/Zevria.

I forgot "Enter Vril-Ya". At any rate, I just figured that Astra was the name of a Swedish company and Zeneca, the name of the British company which merged with them. I didn't care to look it up until now.

I wondered whether Zeneca had something to do with Zen or Seneca but:
Wikipedia wrote:
"Zeneca" was an invented name created by the branding consultancy Interbrand.[6] Interbrand had been instructed to find a name which began with a letter from either the top or bottom of the alphabet and was phonetically memorable, of no more than three syllables and did not have an offensive meaning in any language.[6]
Whereas Christofer Johnsson probably names his song by looking up a random page from "The Dictionnary of the Occult".

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:14 am 

Osore wrote:
I'm a visual type and I often can go back in time visually through music attached to the time I heard it for the first time. Actually, there are albums I associate with entire time periods in my life, what I was doing then and how I was feeling.

I've heard that the visual/auditory/x type of dichotomies might be overblown if not outright inaccurate, but I haven't researched it enough yet. But I've tacitly assumed that this is true of most people, so the question is if a significant portion of people can't do that.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:26 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Osore wrote:
I'm a visual type and I often can go back in time visually through music attached to the time I heard it for the first time. Actually, there are albums I associate with entire time periods in my life, what I was doing then and how I was feeling.

I've heard that the visual/auditory/x type of dichotomies might be overblown if not outright inaccurate, but I haven't researched it enough yet. But I've tacitly assumed that this is true of most people, so the question is if a significant portion of people can't do that.

That is similar to temperament types - these traits are continuous (complex), rather than categorical, so we all fall somewhere in the spectrum and represent much or less unique mixtures. For example, I use different senses/strategies when studying (I'm looking, reading, writing/taking notes, speaking aloud/listening), but when I want to recall something, I pull out the picture (of a book page), rather than sounds from my memory. I'm afraid I don't integrate information ingeniously, which is why I can't remember something once the mental image fades - it is impossible to rely on remembering every page from countless (text)books. It always amazes me how some people can store info like they have USB inside their brain. When it comes to temperament, I would say I'm a mixture of choleric and melancholic, although I have a bit of everything in my personality.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:28 pm 

I've seen and read about those categories for many years, but that is the probably the single best chart I've come across delineating the tendencies of the types. I'm mostly a phlegmatic-melancholic mix.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:36 pm 

^Really interesting stuff! Definitely agreed on the point that those traits are on a continuum rather than categorical - I’ve even heard the same said about disability.

I think I’d be like 1 part choleric, 1 part sanguine, 2 parts phlegmatic, and 6 parts melancholic.

I don’t remember much about the other personality tests I’ve taken. The Myers-Briggs one I’ve taken multiple times (self-tested, probably online), and the only constant there was the “I” (introversion).

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:07 pm 

I can't really place myself anywhere based on those kind of charts, because so much of it depends on context, the way you define and interpret various traits, and whether you look at surface-level behaviour or deeper. (Autistic spectrum, 2+ decades of ongoing clinical depression and PTSD muddy the waters a lot there--between masking, coping strategies and constant mental fatigue, my natural inclinations and my behaviour don't match well a *lot* of the time.)

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:24 pm 

That's what's always bugged me more so about MBTI tests. The answers to the questions are highly contextual, and some of them deal more with how others view your behavior while others regard how you view your own behavior, and this can get murky.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 pm 

Interesting chart. I count for myself 10 phlegmatic traits, 7 melancholic, 3 choleric and 2 sanguine.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That's what's always bugged me more so about MBTI tests. The answers to the questions are highly contextual, and some of them deal more with how others view your behavior while others regard how you view your own behavior, and this can get murky.

Oh yes, other personality tests like Myers-Briggs are even worse about it, no doubts there.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am 

Off topic I suppose - but I was browsing university courses, trying to find something different. I was looking at US universities out of interest, found a good one, and holy God but $57,000 per year in fees alone ?! I will never complain about prices in the UK again.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:43 am 

One of the most upsetting things about American college prices is that they really haven't been that way for very long. My grandma went to a very good school in the mid-'60s and it was, like, less than $800 per year.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:51 am 

Oh that's even worse - I mean, it used to be free-ish here, they've raised fees recently, but can still be done reasonable with loans and things for most people. But nearly 60k per year just in fees ? Totally blew my mind. I did look at an Irish uni, and they want 20,000 Euro per year, which is just as unreachable, so it's definitely not a US-bashing observation !

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

We build personal and social identity based on: 1) how we see ourselves, 2) how other people see ourselves and 3) how we think other people see ourselves (double reflection). Apart from the fact people can't be reliably sorted into categories, these tests miss number 2 because we are giving answers alone. I did MBTI test a couple of years ago and I think both me and my friend who sent it to me were Architect types (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging).

severzhavnost wrote:
Interesting chart. I count for myself 10 phlegmatic traits, 7 melancholic, 3 choleric and 2 sanguine.

If you behave like typical phlegmatic person who doesn't give a s*it, you would be called flegma in my area. XD I wonder if there's a similar jargon in English.

I counted for myself:
S 2+3=5
F 8+4=12
M 6+8=14
C 7+11=18 fiery type
:evil:

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:03 am 

Wasn't there a massive Five_Nails-y post about Jesus here a little while ago ? Was rather looking forwards to reading that with breakfast :(

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 am 

Methuen wrote:
Wasn't there a massive Five_Nails-y post about Jesus here a little while ago ? Was rather looking forwards to reading that with breakfast :(

It was promptly nailed to the cross.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:44 am 

I read it. It didn't save me though. I'm a sinner.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:11 am 

Ah damn, I'll have to hope that my soul can be saved by the LARPing in the politics thread instead. Forward, into the past !

Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:42 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Jugian psychoanalysis is and always has been fantastic nonsense.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:18 pm 

Has this been mentioned here? - Fresco in Russian church depicting internet addicts as sinners. XD Apple burns in hell.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 pm 

Religious people are great at coming up with terrific torture methods. They couldn't just be hung by the hands, they had to be hung by hooks piercing their hands.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:31 pm 

Always worth revisiting (NSFW-ish?):

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 am 

Opus wrote:
Religious people are great at coming up with terrific torture methods. They couldn't just be hung by the hands, they had to be hung by hooks piercing their hands.

It's just them envisioning what they want to happen to people they don't like. It strikes me as not so different from the way fascist regimes project their loathing on ethnic groups, call them vermin, etc. Jesus was supposed to be the ultimate sacrifice, but humans as a species didn't suddenly evolve past the need for scapegoats. Christians just learned to be less explicit about their religious sacrifices than their ancestors.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 am 

I saw a new cathedral somewhre in Russia, full of mosaics of soldiers and so on. Pretty sure they've gotten the wrong end of the stick there, somewhere. It's as 'wrong feeling' as the memorial for the nuclear submarine service in Westminster Abbey in London. "Bring me the poor, the meek, and the atomic bomb merchants" isn't quite how I remember it from primary school :lol:

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:26 pm 

Gothic architecture is at least beautiful. I had to memorise monasteries in Byzantine style for art history subject and I still hate these stupid domes. The newest kitsch we have is this big monument installed a few months ago. This is some monarch from our miserable history that church turned into saint. :roll: Needless to say, it was crafted by Russian ''artist'' and costed a lot.
Image :annoyed:

Apart from church scandals here raging from paedophilia to murder (of drug addict in rehab centre with shovel), today in Israel some religious fanatics got killed in stampede.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:00 pm 

We had a modernist art teacher, so it was all abstract pretention and 'find the depth of the message in this random splat of blue paint on a wall'.

I'd have killed for some Byzantine monasteries, in hindsight :lol:

There's a cathedral not far from where I used to live - the outside is all Victorian gothic revival, the immediate interior is medieval, there are some Protestant vandalisms around the ancient statues and so on, and then right at the back is a section wall made of big stones and simple arches that were put in around AD 900.

The ancient ones are truly fantastic things.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:04 pm 

I posted this in the Web 1.0 thread, but considering that that thread tends to not get much discussion beyond just sharing links, I'm gonna post this here, as I'm sure more than a few people on this site will find this quite interesting.

--

http://www.wideanglecloseup.com/starwarsaudio.html

This is a page with links to bootleg audio recordings of the first two original Star Wars movies upon each of their initial releases. The author of the page is the guy who recorded the audio, and he says that his initial reason for doing such a thing was because he was slightly dissatisfied that the original 2 LP soundtrack of the first movie he bought in 1977 didn't feature every single music cue from the film. Therefore, he went to a screening of Star Wars, snuck in a cassette recorder, and bootlegged the audio once from the left side of the theatre and once from the right side. He ended up doing the same thing with The Empire Strikes Back, and thus we have two original theater audio recordings of the first two Star Wars movies.

By the way, I highly recommend this page from OriginalTrilogy dot com. It is a GIANT preservation effort of original theater presentation bootlegs of each Star Wars movie, from the original in 1977 all the way up to Solo. The effort's been going on for over a decade, and it features some extra stuff as well, such as a camrip of the original Phantom Menace trailer that was attached to Meet Joe Black in 1998, plus two different workprints of Revenge of the Sith. Some of the links are dead, but most of them are stil live.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Theat ... s/id/12161

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 332  Next