Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:59 pm 

Subrick wrote:
My wife is in the hospital. She got tattooed on her calf a few days ago, at a clean shop she's gotten work done at before, and it got infected pretty much immediately. We brought her to the hospital yesterday after she started puking, and she most likely has cellulitis now. She's had it before in the same leg when she was a child, and she was in the hospital for several days back then. Probably will be now too.

I hope she can make a speedy recovery. I have recently been through some tragedy and have truly felt how life-changing, permanent, and out of control things can really get (for you, the one experiencing the tragedy of what another person is experiencing, which is a tragedy in itself to begin with, let alone the periphery effect it has on everyone directly and indirectly involved--those who will become involved a direct result of the situation). It's a strong ripple effect that occurs, which further intensifies what other people may be experiencing along with you at the same time. When there's something dire going on that forces you to be immediately present physically and emotionally, it can really wear you thin but at the same time, it can instrumentally forge you into the person you will potentially be in the future to help others who are experiencing tribulation for potentially the first time in their lives.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:34 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Oh man, I love languages like Tagalog and Hindi where they readily absorb words from other cultures. I used to live next door to an Indian family and I always knew when their conversation took a turn, because I'd hear sentences like, "------------- High Street ----------- Tesco ---------- dental check-up --------------" and I'd know they were planning an outing.

Being in China now makes me nostalgic for that, because they transliterate everything so you can write it in Chinese characters, even names. Want to listen to Britney Spears? Who? Oh, you mean Bu-lan-ni. Your name's Edmund? Sorry, do you prefer Ai-de-meng-de or E-de-meng?

I think it's more a situational thing, where a family transplanted in a new environment, due to immigration, will gradually adopt terms from the predominant language; especially proper names, toponyms, and concepts that may not have been very present in their original country.

A colleague of mine was born in Canada from Portuguese parents, when she talked to them on the phone, every 3rd word she said was English. It was like a 'fill-the-blanks' puzzle. And I'm in Canada, a country aspiring to be multicultural.

As for the difficulty to pronounce consonant clusters, this affects indeed immigrants whose mother tongue is missing those clusters, and it does affect their way to pronounce certain English words, but it won't affect their kids' as they'll learn English as children.

I think Inuktitut is also like that; waistcoast became uasakua.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:50 am 

They finally announced that Lukashenko won the election with 80% of the votes. It was probably a typo and they meant 800%.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:52 am 

Last night we watched a three hour lightning storm - from inside the house, after standing in the rain watching it creep closer - absolutely staggering to see the lightning break over the sky like something from a movie set in the tropics.

Always half-funny to watch the cats get their fear on, the poor things - apex predators afraid of nothing until the almighty (Bastet ?) turns on the light show !

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:00 pm 

I was once at an open air festival and I dunno if it was because of the heat island effect of the thousands of people or whatever, but there was a thunderstorm surrounding the festival 360 degrees but wasn't above the festival itself. The atmosphere of it was just one of the most amazing experiences I ever had with thunder and lightning in all directions while being at a music festival with thousands of people.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:57 pm 

This has got to be one of the worst analysis videos I've seen. The guy dances around the point for 11 minutes, while exploiting the "people don't like music because it's mainstream" strawman.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:31 pm 

So one time I tripped acid with my buddies at like midnight and stayed up all night camping outside. We were suppose to start at like 9pm but the dealer was on his dealer time which resulted in a 3 hour delay. Anyway, it was kind of a bad idea because the next day I suppose to go to Mayhem Fest. I only bought tickets because Behemoth was suppose to be there, but then they canceled because Inferno broke his ankle (or something to that effect). But I still went for some of the other bands like Mastodon/Amon Amarth/Job For A Cowboy/etc.

The buddy I went with was also tripping acid that night with me and when we went we were coming down from the trip. We weren't hallucinating anymore, but we still were getting those weird vibes you get while coming down. It made some parts of the show amazing. I distinctly remember hearing Born of Osiris play the part at like 0:25 of this song and being completely blown the fuck away. Even sober I think it's pretty cool, but being a little tripped out brought it to a whole other level of epic.

Anyways, the headliner was FFDP, and like- I've never listened to them, still haven't much to this day. But man, their fans is what made me hate the band. It's one thing to be surrounded by scummy rednecks at a show, but when you're still coming down from an acid trip and are surrounded by that, you get some of the worst vibes. I just wanted to wear a goddam body condom. I think I said this in the Al Jazeera Nazi thread, but, the only Nazi I ever saw was at this show, and he was this bald dude with like 1 tooth and a swastika tattooed on his right pec. Ew.

It also pissed me the fuck off how they decided to throw Amon Amarth and Mastodon on that main stage, because by the time they took stage almost no one was there that would appreciate them. Everyone was just sitting or standing around during the Mastodon set (?!?!?!), while a handful of dudes in around the bigass venue headbanged during Amon Amarth. It was awkward, and a real good indication of horseshit concert management. FFDP fans are clearly not gonna be the type to dig progressive metal/rock, and I guess since Amon Amarth doesn't play on the radio they wouldn't ever listen to them either.

We left right when FFDP was about to begin, so I've still not seen them live and probably never will. That said, FFDP did do that one video about homeless vets, and I gotta say I commend them for that.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 pm 

So my fifty year old junkie next door neighbor came back to his parents' house from rehab a couple of months ago. He didn't believe the virus existed, has screamed and yelled at people all night every night this summer at his illegal fire pit, and decided to start weed whacking my back yard at eight o'clock tonight.

But I'm the asshole for asking him to please not come onto my property uninvited.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:19 am 

I just read the captain of the Israeli national ice hockey team signed with Polish club Unia Oswiecim. Sometimes the real news is weirder than any fiction.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am 

droneriot wrote:
I just read the captain of the Israeli national ice hockey team signed with Polish club Unia Oswiecim. Sometimes the real news is weirder than any fiction.

That I can't think of any good jokes probably means I've been in lockdown too long. Anyone ?

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:09 pm 

Methuen wrote:
droneriot wrote:

That I can't think of any good jokes probably means I've been in lockdown too long. Anyone ?
There is a definitely a joke there.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:03 pm 

My neighbor's garage caught fire and burnt down half his house today. I live in a forest too, luckily it was put out before anything really bad happen. Close fucking call though, shit was massive. You could hear all this ammo/propane/etc blowing up in his garage.

We're already dealing with two massive forest fires in CO too, so it just adds to the intense amount of smoke that's already being inhaled. This morning I said I was tired of inhaling smoke. Now I can't stop coughing >.<

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:20 pm 

Fifteen minutes ago I heard two loud bangs like firecrackers, then ten minutes later an ambulance siren. It's weird to think that it was what I think it was, that's not something that happens here.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 am 

droneriot wrote:
Fifteen minutes ago I heard two loud bangs like firecrackers, then ten minutes later an ambulance siren. It's weird to think that it was what I think it was, that's not something that happens here.

It's a strange day that I don't hear at least half a dozen shotguns going off somewhere nearby. Honestly, sometimes the big shoots sound like a minor battle going on - I'm half expecting to hear a bugle / cannon / Sean Bean shouting for Harper.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:38 pm 

Man I love this channel. I've binge-watched pretty much all videos. This video in particular is different from the usual content but I think it's pretty entertaining. Normally this dude just destroys trucks by doing all kinds of crazy stuff with them (driving on square wheels, driving on wooden wheels, doing huge jumps with them) and he doesn't give a fuck about completely destroying a 100k USD Truck for a video despite not being rich or anything (he probably makes decent money though). Make sure to check it out if you need some entertainment.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:57 pm 

Methuen wrote:
droneriot wrote:

It's a strange day that I don't hear at least half a dozen shotguns going off somewhere nearby. Honestly, sometimes the big shoots sound like a minor battle going on - I'm half expecting to hear a bugle / cannon / Sean Bean shouting for Harper.

Funny, I was just reading this thread before I went out for a cig and was ruminating on Pelican and then thought about this band called Sand that did a mesmerizing song called "Felatio"
when I heard a loud poppop, then popopop. You'd think Magnitude was here:
. Right after was yelling, screaming, some cries.

There was just a shooting down the main street from me.

After that the cars went roaring up every road, some flying down side streets, a few down my street. The sirens are still blaring in other areas, no responders have come here yet. Time to pull up a seat and watch another episode of "why I don't go out".

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:16 pm 

Just noticed Immortal (Norway)'s status is disputed again... What the fuck guys.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:26 pm 

Yeah, legal troubles 2.0. We're talking about it in the metal discussion sub forum

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:28 pm 

We can look forward to 2021 when Iscariah registers Immortal as his trademark.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm 

I vote for Grim, the dead drummer who only played live, but his picture is on the 2nd album cover.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 pm 

I've been half-following the California heatwave/wildfires. As someone who experienced it six months ago in Australia, I hope everyone out that way is staying safe, cool, and hydrated.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 pm 

I cannot envision living in California for almost any reason. Even in a time of plague, with some strange Berlusconi-Caligula chupacabra lording over my homeland, everything out of California looms over us like something out of Revelation:

FIRE
EARTHQUAKE
FIRE TORNADO
MUDSLIDE
MARVEL MOVIES

It's as if, having realized that America's Dick unfairly lopsided us on the east, the universe decided to distill the essence of Florida Man and inject it into the fabric of the west, ensuring that nobody can sail to a safe shore without struggling through a hellscape.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:18 pm 

My plan was to move to California before all this shit started. I'd wanted to try and get into the arts there in whatever way I could. Now I have no clue what is gonna happen with that whole scene anymore. No idea where I'll go now.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:26 pm 

I'm a douche in plenty of ways.

This helped me finish the turn to the latest Tool album though:
Spoiler: show

Wow.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'd wanted to try and get into the arts there in whatever way I could.

I would have been fine having forgotten DRD forever, thank you.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:08 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
My plan was to move to California before all this shit started. I'd wanted to try and get into the arts there in whatever way I could. Now I have no clue what is gonna happen with that whole scene anymore. No idea where I'll go now.
There are some of the biggest art scenes right across the river from me in NYC. Greenwich Village, is actually a dream spot for most artists. You just walk around there and art is going on all around you of many types. Of course with anything good comes the bad. It is NYC afterall. I've been to both and I would live in NYC over California. You can rent a room for just $1000 to $1300 a month, work part time if you need to all over the city. Part time jobs are easy to get and all over. They are starting to open back up. I don't understand why you would not want to go to NYC if you are an artist? Marcel Duchamp, William Glackens, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel all staples of Greenwich Village. The rest of the time you are free to pursue your craft. If you don't need a job, because you already have a ton of savings you can pursue your craft full time.

I just walk around Greenwich and I am inspired artistically. I have been all over the world and that only happens for me in a few places. California was definitely not one of them.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:10 pm 

The High Line Starchitecture District has for years been the absolute highlight of the skyscraper forum I'm on. Crazy place. Though that's more Chelsea than GV I think, not entirely sure where one ends and the other begins as an outsider.

There's another thing forming one river further around the Domino sugar refinery in Williamsburg.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:21 pm 

Are AC/DC - High Voltage shirts the new Back in Black shirts, meaning that it's popular for non fans to wear them? This past week over the span of three days I saw three different young women wearing High Voltage shirts at work, and I think each shirt was different from each other. High Voltage is not even their most popular Bon Scott era album (although it is my personal fav) and the only hit I can recall from it is TNT, which is nowhere near as well known to the public at large as the songs Back in Black and You Shook Me All Night Long, or even Highway to Hell.

Granted it's not like AC/DC is that unpopular with young women in the context of classic rock, but in the context of popular music as a whole in the year 2020 it seems a little weird that I would see that three times in three days when I'd never seen it before in my life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:28 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
There are some of the biggest art scenes right across the river from me in NYC. Greenwich Village, is actually a dream spot for most artists. You just walk around there and art is going on all around you of many types. Of course with anything good comes the bad. It is NYC afterall. I've been to both and I would live in NYC over California. You can rent a room for just $1000 to $1300 a month, work part time if you need to all over the city. Part time jobs are easy to get and all over. They are starting to open back up. I don't understand why you would not want to go to NYC if you are an artist? Marcel Duchamp, William Glackens, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel all staples of Greenwich Village. The rest of the time you are free to pursue your craft. If you don't need a job, because you already have a ton of savings you can pursue your craft full time.

I just walk around Greenwich and I am inspired artistically. I have been all over the world and that only happens for me in a few places. California was definitely not one of them.

I just always wanted to see what LA was like. I'm sure NYC would be interesting too but LA and California were always interesting to me and I'd just like to see what the deal is. I've lived and traveled mostly on the east coast.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
last_eulogy wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I just always wanted to see what LA was like. I'm sure NYC would be interesting too but LA and California were always interesting to me and I'd just like to see what the deal is. I've lived and traveled mostly on the east coast.
I totally understand.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:44 pm 

I've never been to California. I've always wanted to go to San Diego. I really have no interest in LA or San Fran. I looked into moving to San Diego but it is laughably expensive to just up and move there.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:57 pm 

LA just has such a reputation with all the celebrity shit and all the absurd things I've heard about it over the years. I have to see what it's like. Though I've always heard people get sick of it. But it'd be intriguing for a while.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:11 am 

What happened to the guy that used to come here completely tripped out of his mind? He would say the most off the wall stuff, but his posts were actually amazing. I don't remember the username, but if you have been a few years you probably remember his posts.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:41 am 

Like seven different users popped to mind and it's insane to ask this but we're gonna need more details, lol.

Actually on drugs, incoherent, mean = webofpiss

Actually on drugs, wrote brainscrewing stoner metal reviews = the_navy_blue_vicar

Actually on drugs, wrote extremely lengthy and well thought out thinkpieces and novel length reviews that basically amounted to a defense of dumb music as high art = Noktorn

Not actually on drugs, hyperactive engrish, could saw the soul of the she-wolf he was in love with when she sat because she was using a miniskirt = gomorro

No clue if drugs are involved, speaks exclusively in some impossible-to-understand cockney-rhyming-pun language, throws chairs = CHAIRTHROWER

Long bizarre rants about how muslims are going to take over London, maybe drugs, maybe racism? = mindshadow

Permanently high on the kosmic mystikal aether of the lifestream, wrote ascended god-tier short fiction about karate chopping girl scouts in half = John_Sunlight

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:58 am 

Dang. You seem to have a good grasp on the entire userbase here and their tendencies.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:02 pm 

I bet he means gomorro. Everyone always means gomorro.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 pm 

ksevile wrote:
Dang. You seem to have a good grasp on the entire userbase here and their tendencies.

I'm just Extremely Online and I've been hanging out here for literally half my life at this point :lol:

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Permanently high on the kosmic mystikal aether of the lifestream, wrote ascended god-tier short fiction about karate chopping girl scouts in half = John_Sunlight

I've always assumed the reason John is allowed to have 8 usernames while the rest of us schmucks can't even change 1 is because the gestapo Powers That Be hope to one day see John have an eight-sided conversation with himself in the very style of his god-tier short fiction.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:34 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Like seven different users popped to mind and it's insane to ask this but we're gonna need more details, lol.

I realized, my vague description would qualify half of the users here on any given day. Its John_Sunlight. His posts were above the stratosphere, of strange and awesome. I realize he is most likely the one with 8 usernames.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:51 pm 

I suspect CHAIRTHROWER is nearly always entirely sober while posting here, which kind of makes his writing funnier/scarier. And in any case, distinguishing between sober and high CT would probably be a fool's affair.

Also, unsurprised to learn WebOfPiss was actually on drugs while posting here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 261  Next