Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:26 pm 

Also, Five Finger Death Punch, the truest metal band of them all.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:58 am 

It makes it harder to take the ritual-antlers-on-head branch of folky music seriously, when they get parts of some pay-to-win video game named after them and provide music for it :lol:

https://bravewords.com/news/heilung-announces-collaboration-with-conquerer-s-blade-video-game

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:24 pm 

I meant in the Manowar universe. Someone posted, on here, that they saw them live, giving someone shit for a Sepultura shirt, saying it was “false metal,” and throwing him a Manowar shirt. One’s head must be pretty far, up one’s own asshole, to think that Bestial Devastation is false. I know Manowar hates glam, but it reminds me of Eddie Trunk types, who insist that ‘grunge killed metal,’ when they mean it dethroned glam from the top of the charts, and some bands(of both scenes) were metal, some weren’t.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Ok I might get just banned for saying that but fuck it let's go.
What is everyone's problem with FFDP? I know that their music is not the most sophisticated thing in the world and that they are basically a pro-military band but come on they are not THAT bad.

I got places I gotta be!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 pm 

PETERG wrote:
Subrick wrote:

What is everyone's problem with FFDP? I know that their music is not the most sophisticated thing in the world and that they are basically a pro-military band but come on they are not THAT bad.

For me what made them cross the line from crappy-but-not-overly-so to one of the worst currently is that awful song that the chorus is "Don't know what to do with this anger inside, I feel just like Jekyll and hyde." Just a little TOO blatantly trying to corner that "angsty teen" market with cliche bull shit.

I like their cover of Bad Company though. The singer should stick to his low, clean vocal style like in that song. They'd be a lot better.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 pm 

Have you heard fivefingerpunchypunchy? Even Taylor Swift thinks their choruses are lame.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:28 pm 

I wouldn’t mind if they just happened to be butt rock, even big government conservative authoritarian enabler butt rock. But when they try to talk about how metal they are, when everything about them is so antithetical to metal, a thriving metal scene, and you combine the whinyness, and how many fans they have, they get annoying.

They don’t have much to do with the genre you and I know and love. And the fact that they’re so mainstream, but the fans try to portray it as some sort of rebel, outlaw thing, even though, the whole point is literally a pro-state idea, that’s also mainstream.

I don’t care if they get on metal archives or not. But their music sounds like the soundtrack to a teenager, who goes to the gym once a month(even before Covid-19), to do half squats, spotter-assist bench, and 5 curl variations, chugging monster energy, blasting it on his speakers, while starting up his Xbox, to get online, on call of duty, and call you a “faggot,” when he loses. Either that, or the soundtrack of someone who tells you they love “metal,” but don’t want to listen to any satanic stuff, and has a blue lives matter flag on his car, despite fighting police, drunk, with his multiple DUIs, domestic violence incidents, shards manufacturing, and other scumbag crimes. Just the lamest lives.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:47 pm 

PETERG wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I find them overproduced, bland and safe; effectively just buttrock with a tough guy image. Their attempts to sound earnest make me want to vomit. I seriously can't think of anything I much admire about them, particularly given their recent anti-mask turn that's probably going to prove dangerous in future.

This isn't to say of course there's anything wrong with enjoying their music, it's just not my thing and I enjoy joking about them with friends.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 pm 

Every single thing about FFDP is phony and manufactured. They're focus group music if that focus group was made up of psycho Republicans. They exist to make crappy radio rock for wangsty right wing chucklefucks with 2A and Thin Blue Line decals on their cars that think "Walk" by Pantera is the pinnacle of metal. The fact that they've fully shown themselves as of late to be even bigger science denying, ultra-right wing assholes than they were pre-pandemic is just the icing on the cake.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Every single thing about FFDP is phony and manufactured. They're focus group music if that focus group was made up of psycho Republicans. They exist to make crappy radio rock for wangsty right wing chucklefucks with 2A and Thin Blue Line decals on their cars that think "Walk" by Pantera is the pinnacle of metal.

That description can also be used for a lot of southern/groove metal band these days.

Check out my reviews

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 pm 

Precisely. They're all part of the same, musically inbred family.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:52 pm 

They’re like Pantera, but for people who thought Pantera was too intellectual. Actually, I feel bad for typing that. Because, as much as I don’t actually care to listen to Pantera these days(except for, maybe The Great Southern Trendkill), artistically, they are a step, or two, above five finger death punch. Pantera, at least, was a gateway band, that got me into Crowbar, Eyehategod, and Down, who I really like.

You could compare five finger death punch to Slipknot, because they attract a similar crowd. The difference is, when I was in high school, I called Slipknot “gay,” because I was an idiot, but now, Slipknot is something I like, because I can empathize with it. It’s not really my style, with the groove metal and industrial influences, but I can get more into it, because the death metal influences, and angsty aesthetic appeals to me.

I don’t know about their vocalist’s history, but, I assume it’s somewhat similar, to my early life. I can empathize with it, it’s relatable. It sounds like an authentic story, of injustice, gaslighting, abuse, neglect. I really hate anything reeking of self hatred, because I consider that mainstream philosophy, designed to keep you enslaved. I never hated myself, just my abusers. But, when Slipknot talks about it, I get it. Maybe the injustice of the world was too much to bear, and he lashed out, at someone who didn’t deserve it.
Some pro-authority douche, who’s bands gimmick probably helps him escape arrest for heroin and doing things with underage fans wrote:
"Don't know what to do with this anger inside, I feel just like Jekyll and hyde."

This angst is not something I can relate to at all. It’s “you better not fuck with me bro, because I’m real badass and evil.” This is “good music,” for someone who hasn’t heard that much music. The comment, about them being a focus group thing is definitely accurate. They sound like demo riffs, in some guitar equipment commmercial video.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:57 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Something I thought of earlier today.... Both Master of Reality and Master of Puppets are the 3rd albums of their respective bands' catalogues..... Strange coincidence, or did Metallica purposely title their 3rd album "Master of [blank]" as an homage to Black Sabbath and Master of Reality?
:o

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:11 am 

I feel like Slipknot gets the short end of the stick on the whole being genuine and for real thing because of the period they got famous in. Every band around Slipknot in the late 90s to early 2000s was fucking wangsty and clearly putting on a face, but there was a bitterness and rage in Slipknot's music and lyrics that cannot possibly be created through artificial means. Every single person in that band, especially Corey Taylor, was a disaffected, disenfranchised, pissed off youth that put every bit of bile and venom they had into those songs. Anybody that cannot see that has the blinders on.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:16 am 

Subrick wrote:
I feel like Slipknot gets the short end of the stick on the whole being genuine and for real thing because of the period they got famous in. Every band around Slipknot in the late 90s to early 2000s was fucking wangsty and clearly putting on a face, but there was a bitterness and rage in Slipknot's music and lyrics that cannot possibly be created through artificial means. Every single person in that band, especially Corey Taylor, was a disaffected, disenfranchised, pissed off youth that put every bit of bile and venom they had into those songs. Anybody that cannot see that has the blinders on.

Yeah. Like I said, I hated them, back in high school, because they were popular, and I didn’t consider them true. More than a decade later, I learned my lesson, I would’ve really liked them, had I actually listened back then. I think some of the other angsty popular bands may have had similar rage, but almost none of them had the artistic skill, and vision, to translate it into sound. They’re also a really good example of why it can help one’s songwriting, to not just listen to one type of music.

Five finger death punch, on the other hand...stereotyping is an irrational behavior, one should avoid, but, the only time I’ve seen someone wearing Inquisition merch, he looked like a pedophile, and there was someone who used to work where I work, who proudly wore death punch merch, and was basically a walking stereotype. She espoused various contradictory opinions on politics, switching between support for liberty and tyranny, as the whim of the moment dictated, and even support for a Starship Troopers-style dictatorship, at one point(despite having never been in the military). She got fired for being lazy, but not before wearing a furry suit to work. Even the people who talk about being a part of “the furry fandom” don’t do that! Yes, there are a handful of them here as well, I work with hundreds of people, thankfully we haven’t had a COVID-19 case.

Edit: actually, I think Limp Bizkit was genuine, as well. But their art is just laughably bad.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:54 am 

I'd say also that System of a Down were genuine, but in a different way. Slipknot was mad at the world, bitter at everything and deeply nihilistic. SOAD was made about the world and all the injustices found within, with a veiled glimmer of hope at true brotherhood and unity amongst all people in the future.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:03 am 

Subrick wrote:

COUNTERPOINT: Every god damned time Corey Taylor opens his mouth I want to give him a wedgie. He has got to be the phoniest try-hard I've ever seen who somehow maintained relevance. Every few months I'll see this human refrigerator spit out the coldest takes in the universe and get signal boosted by every shitty online rag who knows his name. In the Year of Our Lord 2020 I came across a sponsored post on social media stating "Corey Taylor proclaims Imagine Dragons 'the worst band in the world'", finally supplanting his previously subarctic take that Nickelback was the worst. Articles day in and day out about how new music sucks because he's an out of touch millionaire who doesn't bother to do anything other than listen to local radio and his brain never matured past age 15. He's got this reputation of being a very intelligent man who tells it like it is while constantly spitting out troobie takes about "the state of things" and always comes off like somebody who is simultaneously a high schooler and a pensioner who thinks rock died with Bon Scott. How the fuck he escaped willingly and proudly appearing in the notorious internet-bomb of Nostalgia Critic's musical review of The Wall will forever mystify me. I hate his stupid smug face and his perpetual clueless dopiness and unearned aura of respect simply because he doesn't wear a grody mask and scream in interviews while tilting his head at fisheye lenses. I genuinely hope he sees this post because he is absolutely the kind of guy to challenge me to a fight over it and I will take that opportunity to film myself farting in his mouth. Fuck Corey Taylor.

There was a lot of genuine fury in their first two albums and I think, in hindsight, Iowa is basically the peak of that particular prong of nu metal (with Korn's self titled nailing it right away for the wangsty side and Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish being the winner in terms of pure fucking embarrassment) and I've grown to appreciate it a lot as I got older. After that point they've sounded less unhinged and genuinely dangerous but they've honed their ear for hooks to a lethal degree. But none of Corey's past success can erase how much of a failure-to-launch booger bum he is.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:23 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
They’re like Pantera, but for people who thought Pantera was too intellectual. Actually, I feel bad for typing that. Because, as much as I don’t actually care to listen to Pantera these days(except for, maybe The Great Southern Trendkill), artistically, they are a step, or two, above five finger death punch. Pantera, at least, was a gateway band, that got me into Crowbar, Eyehategod, and Down, who I really like.

Yeah, I feel like there was a lot more thought behind Pantera and what they wanted to say on each of their albums when compared to Five Finger Death Punch - and that's not to say Pantera were all that thoughtful to begin with. FFDP somehow come off as even safer than Pantera did; they sound too polished and clean, almost like their songs are designed by committee. I don't think their music is actually made that way, they're probably just not all that talented/skilled as musicians and they're not very creatively ambitious either. I don't read Ivan Moody's lyrics and think "wow, this guy has a really well-developed or unique perspective he's trying to impart", I just hear the same dumb, meathead schlock I've been passively absorbing off the radio since bands like Papa Roach and Trapt were on the radio.

Pantera were a gateway to heavier stuff for me too. I think it was really through their use of syncopation and unusual time signatures made me really connect with Celtic Frost's material, weird as that might sound. The "ugliness" in Pantera was just well-hidden enough for me to focus on the cool guitar solos and solid rhythm section before I really noticed. Then when I did realise how weird the production was, how long some of the songs were and how estranged the lyrical themes seemed at times, it didn't bother me as much and made my transition to harder stuff a lot easier.

Oh, props to the boys in Pantera too paying their dues supporting the scene. Phil Anselmo helped reignite Pentagram's career basically just because he was a huge fan of them and I'll bet his death and black metal projects helped introduce a lot of people to more extreme stuff too. They all seem to have a pretty deep appreciation for not only the history of metal/rock but were pretty switched on when it came to the contemporary scenes and movements happening around them, which I appreciate and admire.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Subrick wrote:

COUNTERPOINT: Every god damned time Corey Taylor opens his mouth I want to give him a wedgie. He has got to be the phoniest try-hard I've ever seen who somehow maintained relevance. Every few months I'll see this human refrigerator spit out the coldest takes in the universe and get signal boosted by every shitty online rag who knows his name. In the Year of Our Lord 2020 I came across a sponsored post on social media stating "Corey Taylor proclaims Imagine Dragons 'the worst band in the world'", finally supplanting his previously subarctic take that Nickelback was the worst. Articles day in and day out about how new music sucks because he's an out of touch millionaire who doesn't bother to do anything other than listen to local radio and his brain never matured past age 15. He's got this reputation of being a very intelligent man who tells it like it is while constantly spitting out troobie takes about "the state of things" and always comes off like somebody who is simultaneously a high schooler and a pensioner who thinks rock died with Bon Scott. How the fuck he escaped willingly and proudly appearing in the notorious internet-bomb of Nostalgia Critic's musical review of The Wall will forever mystify me. I hate his stupid smug face and his perpetual clueless dopiness and unearned aura of respect simply because he doesn't wear a grody mask and scream in interviews while tilting his head at fisheye lenses. I genuinely hope he sees this post because he is absolutely the kind of guy to challenge me to a fight over it and I will take that opportunity to film myself farting in his mouth. Fuck Corey Taylor.

There was a lot of genuine fury in their first two albums and I think, in hindsight, Iowa is basically the peak of that particular prong of nu metal (with Korn's self titled nailing it right away for the wangsty side and Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish being the winner in terms of pure fucking embarrassment) and I've grown to appreciate it a lot as I got older. After that point they've sounded less unhinged and genuinely dangerous but they've honed their ear for hooks to a lethal degree. But none of Corey's past success can erase how much of a failure-to-launch booger bum he is.

Even as someone who regularly listens to music from around or before the time I was born, I fucking hate that boomer mindset of "oh there's nothing good out there these days." Just so asinine... I make a point to try new stuff as much as possible and not become that kind of person. So much talent out there. I'm not familiar with Taylor's views but yeah sounds like a chump.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:33 pm 

It’s not just baby boomers, any generation is vulnerable to it. When someone says “there’s no good music anymore,” they are just outing themself, as someone who says they want to find good new music, but doesn’t really want to, or are just ignorant. Too lazy, or just uninformed, to use YouTube, or Bandcamp.

Some people just want to complain, without doing anything about it, or really do just want to listen to the same old shit. Also, while I’d like to at least see some band continue making good music, in a style I was really into, when I was younger, I can listen to different styles of music. I think most people are way more elitist than they would admit

Imagine Dragons is pretty bad though. I walked into the big local independent record shop once, and they have a big display in front, of new releases. For $100USD, they had a 3 LP reissue of Elecrtic Ladyland, if you collect vinyl, definitely worth it. For $40USD, Dopesmoker, on green vinyl, with holographic artwork. And for $60USD, the new Imagine Dragons record? Who buys that? They make millions of dollars, but I’ve met more people, in real life, who were into Dying Fetus, I’ve never encountered an Imagine Dragons fan.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:00 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
How the fuck he escaped willingly and proudly appearing in the notorious internet-bomb of Nostalgia Critic's musical review of The Wall will forever mystify me.

I still don't know why Corey chose to do it in the first place. The "review" wasn't that great to begin with, and Doug Walker didn't give him anything to work with. Seriously, you could've just cut him out of the review and it still would've been the same.

But to be fair, his cover of the Spongebob Squarepants theme song was pretty cool.

Check out my reviews

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
How the fuck he escaped willingly and proudly appearing in the notorious internet-bomb of Nostalgia Critic's musical review of The Wall will forever mystify me.

I still don't know why Corey chose to do it in the first place. The "review" wasn't that great to begin with, and Doug Walker didn't give him anything to work with. Seriously, you could've just cut him out of the review and it still would've been the same.

Supposedly Corey's son is a big fan of NC, so there's the connection. For anyone that hasn't seen that Wall review, it's infamously bad. For the record, I tapped out immediately after watching NC's Casper review back in 2009. The cringe was too much, so imagine my surprise when people were reviewing his Wall video and I tuned in after a decade.

As for Imagine Dragons, I only knew of them through one song ("Believer") that was extremely overplayed in 2017 while I was working at an insurance company. We had the radio in our office and I learned very quickly who they were and how much I hated them. No joke, they'd play it 3 times an hour.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm 

I've seen videos talking about the Wall review, but I do not ever intend to watch the real thing. Life is way too short to waste on shit like that.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 am 

Did anyone, even as child, find the repeat 'SLIPKNOT UNVEIL NEW MASKS' routine just a bit... silly ? That whole daftness makes total sense for a born-again hair metal band like Ghost - for a band with so much apparent anger & angst like Slipknot the whole 'look how cool our new dressing up box is' just... never quite clicked ?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:03 pm 

As someone who is a big fan of Slipknot and was that angsty, angry teenager they spoke to once upon a time, I can tell you that the mask reveal thing is a legit selling point for the band to much of the fanbase, and it really is a good way of drumming up some publicity when they're doing a new album. It didn't really become a thing until All Hope is Gone, though, as the first two albums reused mostly the same masks and Vol. 3 didn't do a mask reveal, to my knowledge.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:25 pm 

I have literally taken a shit in 42 countries. That's one of my biggest accomplishments in life.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:54 pm 

Damn, son! After seven years, I still can’t take a shit at work unless there’s something wrong with me.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:43 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Damn, son! After seven years, I still can’t take a shit at work unless there’s something wrong with me.

I was in the United States Navy. You had to be able get naked in front of enough men and women at once to make a interracial porn gangbang, or shit anywhere. It’s a skill. You can make rank if you can do both at once.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:16 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I have literally taken a shit in 42 countries. That's one of my biggest accomplishments in life.

:eek:

Yeah, uh, that's an interesting fact. (also, at first, I thought you said 42 minutes lol)

Check out my reviews

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:01 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:

Fun story: Two years ago I did a vocal recording session for one of my bands. I had left work early that day to do it, and thus had not made a lunch to eat at the job before doing the session. I ended up going to a Stop and Shop and getting three Quest bars just so I could eat something before tracking. Had all three, and felt fine at the end of the day. The next day, however, I was at work, and I start getting a gurgle in my belly. Went to the bathroom and essentially pissed brown out my ass for a good 30-40 minutes. About 30 minutes after that, I got the gurgles again, and I once more projectile shit out my butt. This continued THREE MORE TIMES that day, and by the end I felt like someone had unleashed an army of fire ants on my sphincter. It was fun, but only if you're a Cenobite.

Oh, and one more work toilet related story: Several years before that at an early job, I had to go take a dump in the upstairs bathroom. Mind you, this was a Macy's in a mall, and those toilets were essentially open to the public. I go into the bathroom, go in the wider stall that's built for handicapped people, and sit on the toilet to let my brown mess out. Not too long after getting comfortable, I hear a couple voices stagger into the bathroom, and the voices were getting closer and closer to my stall. These voices, mind you, were not men, despite it being the men's room. Also, the lock on the door didn't work right, so when one of them pushed open the door, it swung right open. I got intruded on by two women in a men's bathroom of a Macy's while taking a shit. I was also less fat then, so my dick was visible to them too.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:20 pm 

Wow, that’s pretty shitty. I had infernal diarrhea, a couple of weeks ago, at work, and it made me glad that I have a job where I can leave, and shit, at my convenience, rather than having to wait. I don’t envy cashiers, or others who have to ask for someone to take their place, and wait who knows how long.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:25 pm 

As someone who used to have to deal with that, it was not a fun time

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 pm 

Hexenmacht, I can’t put into words how disappointed I was to get 0 results in a band name search for “Infernal Diarrhea”.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:08 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Hexenmacht, I can’t put into words how disappointed I was to get 0 results in a band name search for “Infernal Diarrhea”.

That's actually surprising.

Totally un-surprised at bands called "Haemorrhagic Diarrhea" and "Syphilic Diarrhea" however. Why did I search for that :lol:

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:30 am 

Methuen wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

That's actually surprising.

Totally un-surprised at bands called "Haemorrhagic Diarrhea" and "Syphilic Diarrhea" however. Why did I search for that :lol:

"Diarrhoea" is one of the most frequently misspelled words in English. I would bet that you guys simply didn't try out all the possible varieties. Try it without the "o". Try it with the "o". Try it without the "h". Try it with one "r"...

:D

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:15 am 

Subrick wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

Fun story: Two years ago I did a vocal recording session for one of my bands. I had left work early that day to do it, and thus had not made a lunch to eat at the job before doing the session. I ended up going to a Stop and Shop and getting three Quest bars just so I could eat something before tracking. Had all three, and felt fine at the end of the day. The next day, however, I was at work, and I start getting a gurgle in my belly. Went to the bathroom and essentially pissed brown out my ass for a good 30-40 minutes. About 30 minutes after that, I got the gurgles again, and I once more projectile shit out my butt. This continued THREE MORE TIMES that day, and by the end I felt like someone had unleashed an army of fire ants on my sphincter. It was fun, but only if you're a Cenobite.

Oh, and one more work toilet related story: Several years before that at an early job, I had to go take a dump in the upstairs bathroom. Mind you, this was a Macy's in a mall, and those toilets were essentially open to the public. I go into the bathroom, go in the wider stall that's built for handicapped people, and sit on the toilet to let my brown mess out. Not too long after getting comfortable, I hear a couple voices stagger into the bathroom, and the voices were getting closer and closer to my stall. These voices, mind you, were not men, despite it being the men's room. Also, the lock on the door didn't work right, so when one of them pushed open the door, it swung right open. I got intruded on by two women in a men's bathroom of a Macy's while taking a shit. I was also less fat then, so my dick was visible to them too.

You got to watch out for all those snack bars that don't market themselves as candy.... they tend to pack them full of fiber for some ungodly reason.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm 

It actually wasn't an overload of fiber in the Quest bars; It was an overload of sugar alcohols.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:29 pm 

Welp, the Bergtatt CD I ordered came in today, and to the surprise of no one, it was from that Oslo band.

To be fair, I did listened to the album, and as far as classical Scandinavian albums go, this isn't isn't that bad. I sure hope my friend appreciates it. Otherwise, I'll just keep it for myself.

Check out my reviews

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:36 am 

Well it just hit me this morning at work that I'm old.

I have a tattoo on my arm of the Black Sabbath logo from the Mob Rules album. A girl I worked with asks what it says. I say "Black Sabbath." She asks, "What's that?" Now that I completely expected, as my entire lifetime of Sabbath fandom (since about the age of 13) no one my age, let alone younger than me, knew who Sabbath was if they didn't have a keen interest in classic rock or heavy metal. So, what used to always be my failsafe, was to say, "Do you know who Ozzy Osbourne is?" They'd say, "Yes," and I'd say, "Black Sabbath was the band he was in in the 70s." And then they were, like, "Oh, ok."

So that's how I expected this convo to go. I asked her "Do you know who Ozzy Osbourne is?" She said no. I was kinda stunned. Kids today (by which I am including young adults) don't know who Ozzy Osbourne is anymore if they don't have a keen interest in classic rock or heavy metal. His fame from his reality show The Osbournes has been wiped from the mainstream. Ozzy is old hat to the mainstream again.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:53 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Well it just hit me this morning at work that I'm old.

I have a tattoo on my arm of the Black Sabbath logo from the Mob Rules album. A girl I worked with asks what it says. I say "Black Sabbath." She asks, "What's that?" Now that I completely expected, as my entire lifetime of Sabbath fandom (since about the age of 13) no one my age, let alone younger than me, knew who Sabbath was if they didn't have a keen interest in classic rock or heavy metal. So, what used to always be my failsafe, was to say, "Do you know who Ozzy Osbourne is?" They'd say, "Yes," and I'd say, "Black Sabbath was the band he was in in the 70s." And then they were, like, "Oh, ok."

So that's how I expected this convo to go. I asked her "Do you know who Ozzy Osbourne is?" She said no. I was kinda stunned. Kids today (by which I am including young adults) don't know who Ozzy Osbourne is anymore if they don't have a keen interest in classic rock or heavy metal. His fame from his reality show The Osbournes has been wiped from the mainstream. Ozzy is old hat to the mainstream again.

But with the Ozzy bias out of the way, we can finally push the narrative that it's actually Iommi's band and give the other lineups their proper due. I see this as a potential win.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 290  Next