Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'll never say anything bad about the other early Sabbath albums obviously. I always liked the debut, sure. But you get to appreciate the weird rawness and creativity of that debut more the more you listen, I think. "Warning" is a great way to end the album. Just overflowing bluesy guitar. You can get lost in it. Perfect for a beer on a Saturday afternoon I think.

I love Black Sabbath's debut like anyone else, but my favorite unique, weird and raw album (and yet somewhat heavy) of that era is Scorpions' Lonesome Crow (1972).

Sure, it is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath's debut (and a few noticeable other moments can be traced to Status Quo, Deep Purple, Spirit and possibly other British bands), but it has everything that krautrock production had to offer back then (Conny Plank was a krautrock producer; the band did NOT play krautrock, no matter what Martin Popoff says), and for me, it is totally obscure compared to Sabbath's debut because I had absolutely no partial exposure to it until I got the actual cassette. Scorpions only played a partial version of In Search of the Peace of Mind when they got remotely famous in 1978, then abandoned it, live, and otherwise would never play these songs live.

The Sabbath debut had such killer songs on it; they became staples of their live gigs, with and after Ozzy, of Ozzy's solo gigs and they featured on countless compilations. Who doesn't know N.I.B., the title track, The Wizard, and even Warning featured on the WSOSFRNR compilation ! When I finally bought the Black Sabbath debut, I knew all songs except Behind the Wall of Sleep and Sleeping Village, plus a couple interludes. My approach to it had been gradual, with live and studio tracks (Ozzy's Speak of the Devil, Sabbath's Live Evil, WSOSFRNR..).

When you put Lonesome Crow on, you really don't expect much because it's from that Rock You Like a Hurricane band (and now I guess you could say Wind of Change). And you're in for something really epic: great solos, a little funky but predominantly bluesy and heavy with some acoustic passages and weird effects thrown in. it has that downright mouldy, smoky but cozy 70s basement atmosphere.

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Luvers wrote:
...and had a wholly male audience until the last two decades or so...
Didn’t Black Sabbath make music, back in the 70s, partially because they thought it might(among other benefits) make women want to come see them live, and even possibly want to have sex?
I would not know why they chose to do what they did. I thought it was a chance to express their animosity towards horrible impoverished upbringing.
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I didn’t mean that was the only reason. I was responding to the ridiculous claim that metal had a “wholly male audience.”
Regardless of how ridiculous you think it is, does not change the fact that metal has always been a music created mostly by men, for men and is purchased and appreciated most by men.

Obviously women can like metal, I like metal. I knew other women who liked metal back in the '80s, '90s and so on. However, for every woman who likes/loves metal, there are an exorbitant number of men who like/love it even more.
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I was using them as an example, arguing against the post defending the ‘warning: sexism and misogyny incoming’ post, on the basis of metal being for men only. Even Manowar don’t actually want that.
I was not defending anything. I was merely asking how a statement that reads as someone offering their perspective towards what he finds (or in this case does NOT find) attractive was so bad. Sure he could have worded things better but "Throughout my life, I do not find these particular people to be appealing," just hardly seems to be sexist or misogynist in anyway

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:26 am 

Out of nowhere this particularly old video popped into my head.

For something that was done in 98? Or so? It's miles ahead of its' time. Just strikes me as a fairly funny and charming video, the shit quality helps too. I reckon the fact Meshuggah play it straight helps more.

Bit of an odd trajectory with meshuggah, I've went amazing --> complete garbage --> actually pretty fun. They can't be helped that they inspired a heap of shit bands.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:56 am 

kalervon wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I'll never say anything bad about the other early Sabbath albums obviously. I always liked the debut, sure. But you get to appreciate the weird rawness and creativity of that debut more the more you listen, I think. "Warning" is a great way to end the album. Just overflowing bluesy guitar. You can get lost in it. Perfect for a beer on a Saturday afternoon I think.

I love Black Sabbath's debut like anyone else, but my favorite unique, weird and raw album (and yet somewhat heavy) of that era is Scorpions' Lonesome Crow (1972).

Sure, it is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath's debut (and a few noticeable other moments can be traced to Status Quo, Deep Purple, Spirit and possibly other British bands), but it has everything that krautrock production had to offer back then (Conny Plank was a krautrock producer; the band did NOT play krautrock, no matter what Martin Popoff says), and for me, it is totally obscure compared to Sabbath's debut because I had absolutely no partial exposure to it until I got the actual cassette. Scorpions only played a partial version of In Search of the Peace of Mind when they got remotely famous in 1978, then abandoned it, live, and otherwise would never play these songs live.

The Sabbath debut had such killer songs on it; they became staples of their live gigs, with and after Ozzy, of Ozzy's solo gigs and they featured on countless compilations. Who doesn't know N.I.B., the title track, The Wizard, and even Warning featured on the WSOSFRNR compilation ! When I finally bought the Black Sabbath debut, I knew all songs except Behind the Wall of Sleep and Sleeping Village, plus a couple interludes. My approach to it had been gradual, with live and studio tracks (Ozzy's Speak of the Devil, Sabbath's Live Evil, WSOSFRNR..).

When you put Lonesome Crow on, you really don't expect much because it's from that Rock You Like a Hurricane band (and now I guess you could say Wind of Change). And you're in for something really epic: great solos, a little funky but predominantly bluesy and heavy with some acoustic passages and weird effects thrown in. it has that downright mouldy, smoky but cozy 70s basement atmosphere.

You know, I don't think I ever heard that one. My favorites from them are In Trance and Virgin Killer so I guess I ought to.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:48 pm 

I am waiting for the thread in the metal discussion "bands that didn't become heavier over time nor did they become lighter over time." It seems like people are running out of discussion topics. Here are some below:

Bands who had one armed drummers
Bands who had all trans members
Bands who were named Bands
Bands with no members
Bands that you like, but you think your best friend from school probably wont approve of them
Bands that people perceive as evil, but they are really nice guys
Bands where every member is a drunken alcoholic
Bands that only wear black (I'm really looking forward to the deep discussion on this one)
Ronnie James Dio Vs Lemmy. Can there be only one God?
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

megalowho
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:41 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Bands with no members

:lol:

Arguably may happen eventually, depending on what counts as a person (and hence band member). This was an employee pick at one of my local music shops, apparently written in large part by AI:

Spoiler: show

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:28 pm 

We need a “bands who don’t write their own music, and hire songwriters, and have record labels command everything, based on money” thread, so that we can know who these falses are, and avoid them. Thankfully, the music usually gives it away.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:33 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Bands with no members

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kekal/4418
Quote:
On August 12th, 2009 the band announced that all members left the band and that Kekal will continue as a "memberless band". However, the "former" members will continue to contribute their music, artwork and production to the band.

Weird but worthwhile band

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:33 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
We need a “bands who don’t write their own music, and hire songwriters, and have record labels command everything, based on money” thread, so that we can know who these falses are, and avoid them. Thankfully, the music usually gives it away.

I Instantly tought of this :-D

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:55 am 

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's been really disappointed with the quality of threads recently. I took a couple days away from MA (primarily due to personal reasons but also because I was sick of "big 4" threads) and was hoping things would have picked up in the meantime. They haven't.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

I Instantly tought of this :-D

This clip plays on a loop for at least 6 hours every time someone mentioned The Monkees near me. You can't beat a classic Simpsons joke.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:43 am 

Trying to find advice on buying a new turntable, turns out that music nerds are exactly the wrong people to ask. Several hours of 'well actually what you need is this £11,000 tone arm and this £6,000 catridge for your old Saxon LPs' means I'm now reverting to user reviews on Argos.co.uk as they're at least normal people :lol:

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:37 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
Bands with no members

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kekal/4418
Quote:
On August 12th, 2009 the band announced that all members left the band and that Kekal will continue as a "memberless band". However, the "former" members will continue to contribute their music, artwork and production to the band.

Weird but worthwhile band
A band with no members actually exists. That is incredible.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:57 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's been really disappointed with the quality of threads recently. I took a couple days away from MA (primarily due to personal reasons but also because I was sick of "big 4" threads) and was hoping things would have picked up in the meantime. They haven't.

You can always start more interesting topics. I haven't been here quite as much lately as some periods, but if I'm not interested in whatever is currently being discussed I just start my own threads to talk about something I actually am interested in.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:03 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

You can always start more interesting topics. .

"Be the change you want to see" :nods:

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:03 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

You can always start more interesting topics. I haven't been here quite as much lately as some periods, but if I'm not interested in whatever is currently being discussed I just start my own threads to talk about something I actually am interested in.

I get that and I should probably take that advice. I've been finding it hard to want to start threads for a while now because usually I don't have anything I really want to discuss to do with metal. It's way easier most of the time to just drop in and have a quick discussion on an existing thread I find interesting.

Honestly, I've been listing to an increasing amount of the Beach Boys these past few weeks; guess I could probably start a thread on the Tavern about them and see if anyone else want to throw their two-cent in. I recently heard Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE too and it blew my mind.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:39 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Honestly, I've been listing to an increasing amount of the Beach Boys these past few weeks; guess I could probably start a thread on the Tavern about them and see if anyone else want to throw their two-cent in. I recently heard Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE too and it blew my mind.

I'm all for a Beach Boys thread. I enjoyed their Pet Sounds album a lot, so it will be really cool to see some Beach Boys fans come together on here.

Check out my reviews

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:11 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
It seems like people are running out of discussion topics. Here are some below:
+Bands where every member is deaf

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:47 am 

Anyone here interested in the Pinephone at all ?

Part of the reason I've kept my mac going on High Sierra rather than Debian is because my phone won't talk to Debian reliably; with a Linux phone I can get around that :D

https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-beta-edition-linux-smartphone/?v=0d1ded73d29d

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:36 am 

That moment when you make a long ass post that you think is good that no one pays any attention to!

(Content not related toward anything found above!)

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:23 am 

Slater922 wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

I'm all for a Beach Boys thread. I enjoyed their Pet Sounds album a lot, so it will be really cool to see some Beach Boys fans come together on here.
Pet Sounds is an amazing album. There is a documentary floating around about the making of it. It's really fascinating. Brian who the entire songs before they were made in his head. He practically an small army of musicians to get the sounds he wanted. At one point I believe they said there was three of everything playing all at once. Three guitarists, three bassists, three trumpets etc.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:08 pm 

Here’s something you never think will happen: global trade halted for up to a week, because an enormous cargo ship has gotten stuck across the Suez Canal:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anyth ... uxbndlbing
Next time, they should heed the warning: Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:50 pm 

TRAINWRECKORDS IS GONNA DESTROY ST. ANGER ONCE AND FOR ALL LET'S GO!!!

But seriously, this was an amazing episode. Probably one of the best TINS episodes in a while.

Check out my reviews

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:22 pm 

It's been years since I watched Todd in the Shadows. I had honestly forgotten he existed, so thanks for the link. It was really good, I like the larger historical perspective.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:31 pm 

Cool to see Todd take St. Anger on but does it really count as a "trainwreckord" according to Todd's own rules? I don't think it really did all that much to hurt Metallica in the long-run given Hardwired went platinum and they're still selling-out concerts in all six continents. I dunno, I'm excited to watch the episode either way. I just got through the intro and I can already tell it's gonna be a good one.

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Spoiler: show
But seriously, this was an amazing episode. Probably one of the best TINS episodes in a while.
Todd has been one of my favorite music critics for years. He utilizes his shtick rather well. Good episode but perhaps a bit too obvious? His little hint at the end about Lulu might make Metallica the first band to appear twice on Trainwreckords?

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:03 am 

Slater922 wrote:
TINS

Well played.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:03 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Here’s something you never think will happen: global trade halted for up to a week, because an enormous cargo ship has gotten stuck across the Suez Canal:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anyth ... uxbndlbing
Next time, they should heed the warning: Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

That made me chuckle - I do feel for the captain, it'll be interview-without-coffee time when he gets back to HQ :lol:

saphuchan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:11 am 

Yo, just in need of some suggestions, any good Death Metal bands that you rec?

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am 

saphuchan wrote:
Yo, just in need of some suggestions, any good Death Metal bands that you rec?

Yo, check out this thread in the Recommendation Central forum:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38278

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:57 pm 

I'm claiming as my word of the day 'Byzantischluss' - and realising that I've been playing too much EU4 again :D

Quote:
Byzantischluss - noun
[ bye-z(ts)ann-tee-shloos ]

union, especially the unexpected personal union of a European nation with the Byzantine empire

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:03 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

That would be an incredibly short thread given that this basically doesn't happen outside of pop music.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 am 

Does Frontiers Records count?

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:20 am 

Frank Pitters at Napalm Records has written two albums for Visions of Atlantis, their drummer is a senior man at the label, and the band is a rotating cast of pretty things performing the music. Fun as they are, I'm all to aware of what they are :D

Beyond the Black's first couple of albums were also written by committee, though that is changing.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:13 am 

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:37 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Beyond the Black's first couple of albums were also written by committee, though that is changing.

I'm pretty sure the songs were all written by the vocalist, and the other band members were just hired guns.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:59 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Methuen wrote:

I'm pretty sure the songs were all written by the vocalist, and the other band members were just hired guns.

The first two at least were by various label folks - they actually put the first band together around her after recording took place :lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Love_and_Death_(Beyond_the_Black_album)

The third album (and second band) starts to see some input in terms of writing. (this also allowed them a terrible joke onstage about mishearing the title 'Spiderweb of ice' as 'Spiderweb of Eyes')

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:39 pm 

When one of your favorite band's (Hooded Menace) facebook account gets hacked but on the flip side you don't really mind it when it's posting cat videos. :)
https://www.facebook.com/HoodedMenace/p ... 8539549349

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:33 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
Methuen wrote:

The first two at least were by various label folks - they actually put the first band together around her after recording took place :lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Love_and_Death_(Beyond_the_Black_album)

The third album (and second band) starts to see some input in terms of writing. (this also allowed them a terrible joke onstage about mishearing the title 'Spiderweb of ice' as 'Spiderweb of Eyes')

That is a gargantuan credits list. They might as well have just named the band after Jennifer Haben, but I guess that might not have sold as well in metal land as having an actual band name.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:25 am 

Slater922 wrote:

Can anyone let me know if Todd has reviewed any other albums by site bands yet? I'd be interested in checking those out sometime.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:35 am 

camjr01 wrote:
Can anyone let me know if Todd has reviewed any other albums by site bands yet? I'd be interested in checking those out sometime.

If by "site bands" you mean "bands on MA", then no, as far as I know, in the Trainwreckords series, this is the first metal album in the series (unless you want to stretch the definition and count Van Halen's "Van Halen III")

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290  Next