* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:12 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Oh to be under 20 and care about what people think is metal again...

It's almost as if I know a difference between hard rock and heavy metal...

What he means is that that's the kind of thing you only care about correcting when you're young. I have a distinct memory of a metalcore fan in like 2005 making fun of my Death shirt because "who the fuck has even ever heard of Deeth?", and I did a big Aaron Sorkin EPIC OWNED speech about how your shitty swoopcore bullshit breakdown bands wouldn't even exist without my badass true death metal bands paving the way years ago you fucking idiot. Not only did I do that, but also bragged about it on the internet. That was half my life ago and now even recalling that memory for the purposes of this post makes me cringe myself inside out.

What is and isn't "actually" metal just does not matter to basically anybody on earth except MA nerds like us. My wife asked me a few years ago if I knew that Ice-T had a metal band. 2005-era BH would've facepalmed and gone into a spiel about how "Body Count has plenty of metal elements but first and foremost they lean more to the hardcore side of the equation thanks to their reliance on simple two or three note throwdown grooves so calling them a metal band is kind of a misnomer". 2021 BH just said "yeah."
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
In that spirit, here's a band I was playing today for Bandcamp Friday - they play like the very early 70s never ended: https://silversynthetic.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for that, never heard of them / didn't know I needed that in my life, turns out I do :D

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 pm 

My advice has always been if you like something then you most likely like it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Oh to be under 20 and care about what people think is metal again...

It's almost as if I know a difference between hard rock and heavy metal...

What he means is that that's the kind of thing you only care about correcting when you're young. I have a distinct memory of a metalcore fan in like 2005 making fun of my Death shirt because "who the fuck has even ever heard of Deeth?", and I did a big Aaron Sorkin EPIC OWNED speech about how your shitty swoopcore bullshit breakdown bands wouldn't even exist without my badass true death metal bands paving the way years ago you fucking idiot. Not only did I do that, but also bragged about it on the internet. That was half my life ago and now even recalling that memory for the purposes of this post makes me cringe myself inside out.

What is and isn't "actually" metal just does not matter to basically anybody on earth except MA nerds like us. My wife asked me a few years ago if I knew that Ice-T had a metal band. 2005-era BH would've facepalmed and gone into a spiel about how "Body Count has plenty of metal elements but first and foremost they lean more to the hardcore side of the equation thanks to their reliance on simple two or three note throwdown grooves so calling them a metal band is kind of a misnomer". 2021 BH just said "yeah."

Exactly - there's just a point where it doesn't matter anymore. The online metal culture where all it is is bitching about what is and isn't metal is overdone. Just let it die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:04 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
In that spirit, here's a band I was playing today for Bandcamp Friday - they play like the very early 70s never ended: https://silversynthetic.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for that, never heard of them / didn't know I needed that in my life, turns out I do :D

It is a quite warm and friendly piece of music - and was good to pull myself out of a rotten and stressed mood earlier. They're talented dudes.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:09 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
So earlier today, I introduced my friend group to Forgotten Woods's debut album "As the Wolves Gather". Every week, I introduce them to a new metal album and in return they introduce me to a new non-metal album. We then check out the albums we were recommended and give feedback. There was this one guy (we'll call him Bob) who's new into the group, and actually wanted to check out the album I recommended. So he pulled it up on his phone and we listened to the first song "Eclipsed". About two minutes into the song, he stops it and says:

Bob: I'm sorry, but I don't like this. I've listened to far better metal.

Me: Well, it is black metal, and I can understand if that's not your cup of tea. What metal bands do you like, though?

Bob: AC/DC and Guns N' Roses.

I don't think I've ever facepalmed that hard in my life. :durr:

This is why some people make fun of metalheads.

It'd be kind of like asking someone what vegetables they liked, and them saying tomatoes and cucumbers. You could also face-palm at that, and you'd be technically correct to do so since they're fruits, not vegetables, but pedantic. Unless you're a botanist, it isn't a big deal in common parlance. But you also wouldn't want to make someone a fruit salad with squash, avocados, eggplant, and okra, even though they're all actually fruits.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:41 pm 

If your goal is to find music that both of you can enjoy listening to, you should ask yourself, what kind of music does “Bob” like?

From what you said, he seems to like overdriven guitars, and hard rock riffs. Does he like Black Sabbath? The radio hits are all from the first two albums, show him Master of Reality, and Volume 4. If he likes that, show him doom or stoner metal. If he likes the black album, show him 80s Metallica, then fucking Slayer, and Celtic Frost.

If he likes more radio friendly hard rock, maybe he could get into Iron Maiden. They are accessible enough to actually sell out stadiums, after all. But don’t think that he’s just going to like black metal like that, if he’s not into anything like it.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:52 pm 

Forgotten Woods are great, those first two albums, the Sjel av Natten EP, and the three Joyless tracks on their compilation are all stuff that everyone with an interest in black metal should listen to.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:40 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Forgotten Woods are great, those first two albums, the Sjel av Natten EP, and the three Joyless tracks on their compilation are all stuff that everyone with an interest in black metal should listen to.

Sjel av Natten is good. Jesus, forgot that even existed (and I own the fucking thing on vinyl).

Getting old and the years are flying by fast.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:43 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
If your goal is to find music that both of you can enjoy listening to, you should ask yourself, what kind of music does “Bob” like?

From what you said, he seems to like overdriven guitars, and hard rock riffs. Does he like Black Sabbath? The radio hits are all from the first two albums, show him Master of Reality, and Volume 4. If he likes that, show him doom or stoner metal. If he likes the black album, show him 80s Metallica, then fucking Slayer, and Celtic Frost.

If he likes more radio friendly hard rock, maybe he could get into Iron Maiden. They are accessible enough to actually sell out stadiums, after all. But don’t think that he’s just going to like black metal like that, if he’s not into anything like it.

I did caught up with Bob earlier today and asked him if there were any other artists he enjoyed besides AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. He said he did enjoyed a lot of hard rock and glam metal bands and did asked me if there were any metal bands that were softer that Forgotten Woods. I told him a good starting point would be with Iron Maiden, more specifically with albums TNOTB and Piece of Mind, as well as Metallica's black album and Black Sabbath's Paranoid and MOR. He thanked me for the suggestions and said he'll listen to them later in the weekend.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:30 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

I did caught up with Bob earlier today and asked him if there were any other artists he enjoyed besides AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. He said he did enjoyed a lot of hard rock and glam metal bands and did asked me if there were any metal bands that were softer that Forgotten Woods. I told him a good starting point would be with Iron Maiden, more specifically with albums TNOTB and Piece of Mind, as well as Metallica's black album and Black Sabbath's Paranoid and MOR. He thanked me for the suggestions and said he'll listen to them later in the weekend.

Did Bob did really did?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:35 am 

Welp, broke the bank and decided to buy GA tickets to see Deftones and Gojira at a bigass venue in September. I usually avoid those big venue events because they just aren't as fun as small venue shows, but shit- Deftones and Gojia? Especially with both of them releasing top tier albums over the last year? That's a no brainer with anyone that's got a bit of extra cash. Just hoping that everything is 'back to normal' by then and no mask is going to be needed, because as of now all venues are requiring it (as expected).

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:55 am 

My linux-based phone arrived today, after a bit of a circuitous route via Germany and customs here in the UK. First impressions ? They're not going to be replacing mainstrams phones anytime soon; they aren't trying to, but this is very much a pre-alpha stage, regardless of what it says on the box. ie: The first thing to do with any phone is update it. This one immediately crashed and I had to use a terminal to update it, just as I do with my laptop.

Next will be adventures in bluetooth and telephony, I'll be intrigued to see whether or not this is the one Linux implementation with properly working bluetooth !

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm 

My girlfriend and I have adopted a small puppy few days ago from a local animal shelter...Three months old little fellow, but energetic as a Satan's hound! All hail the restless nights!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CNCYLG ... sp=sharing

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:59 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
My girlfriend and I have adopted a small puppy few days ago from a local animal shelter...Three months old little fellow, but energetic as a Satan's hound! All hail the restless nights!

It's cute, reminds me of my ex-dog Timmy who was released to lurk on the streets by my grandfather; he wanted a dog that barks after door bell - Timmy was quite and used to swallow whatever I touch - even stones. I wish we have a police that arrests people like my grandfather - he threw away Jay when he went blind, than Lora, who I took from street canal, and who knows how many dogs before he found the one that he is satisfied with. ╯︿╰
We have Lilith for a couple of years now; my father found her on the street as a puppy and made her obese. We critisize him all the time, but he countinues to feed her. A vet also said she needs to lose weight. I'll be sad when she dies prematurely, she's the best dog I ever had. She used to play fetch, but now being so fat she lost her interest...

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 am 

Xymosys wrote:

Ah good luck, great thing to do ! When our quite elderly / fragile cat eventually dies, we'll be rescuing a dog too - at least one, if I can keep my wife from getting a whole pack.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm 

Anyone know when the next review challenge is?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:21 am 

I fucking hate parvovirus! Fuck you viruses!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:34 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Anyone know when the next review challenge is?

I'll announce it very soon, but it will be in June.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 am 

This is very cool - https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/neural-implant-lets-paralyzed-person-type-by-imagining-writing/?comments=1

Quote:
This week, the academic community provided a rather impressive example of the promise of neural implants. Using an implant, a paralyzed individual managed to type out roughly 90 characters per minute simply by imagining that he was writing those characters out by hand.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:48 pm 

And the challenge thread is up: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131622

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:18 pm 

would(n't) it be worthwhile / acceptable to have a challenge for the report queue instead, to honour his memory ?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm 

Well, getting locked out of the house while the stove was on is not how I anticipated the day would go. I'm back inside now, but what happened was I was making lunch and I went back into my room to grab something. When I went to go back out of the room, the doorknob literally broke in half when I turned it and fell out of the door, with the knob that had at least some of the turning rod falling outside the room. After trying and failing several ad-hoc ways to get the door open, we stuffed the cats in our closet and I had to climb out the window. I have a bad fear of heights, so anything more than maybe a couple feet up in the air looks and feels like I'm on top of a mountain. We only live on the first floor, but the windowsill is a good 8 feet off the ground level. After at least 10 minutes trying to will myself out of the window, I finally managed to climb out and down to the ground thanks to a lawn chair that was just under the window, and I had to dangle down in order to reach it. Went to go back into the house, and the back fucking door was locked. Went around the front to try and get in that way, and that door was locked too. I even tried to get in through the basement doors, but that was padlocked shut. I was stuck out of the house with no keys (they were ironically enough in the kitchen), no way to get back in (upstairs neighbors on both floors above us were all gone, so nobody to ring the bell for to open the back door), and a potential fire hazard. Our roommate had left at some point after I got home earlier and locked the door, and they took their sweet ass fucking time getting back home. All in all, this entire ordeal lasted at least 45 minutes, and it left me with tons of leftover fight-or-flight energy and a burnt to shit frying pan from it being on the burner for that long.

Somehow the smoke alarm never went off, though.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:25 pm 

You're a strongman, and you let locked doors stop you?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 pm 

Not my house that I own (we rent the first floor), and I wasn’t gonna try and break the door down. I just got super mad and hurled a couch from one side of the backyard to the other, and it went flying. Total pissed off rage, mostly because I did not want the fucking house to catch on fire during all this. It’s that fight or flight feeling from having to amp myself up to jump out of a window with a fear of heights, and then the other door being locked set me right off.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:17 pm 

An entire couch? Jeez

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 pm 

Yup. Like I said, I had to amp myself up for a hot minute to try and jump out the window, and still being locked out set me off something fierce. I've lifted the same couch before too to move it to a different part of the backyard, and it's not light at all under normal circumstances, even for someone like me that routinely lifts odd heavy shit for fun.

Moral of the story: Have a fear of heights, jump out a window, and use that energy to turn full sized couches into lawn darts.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:44 pm 

Opus wrote:

That might actually be his weakness all along. :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:04 pm 

Hey, remember that the aliens in Signs only had two weaknesses: Water, and wooden doors.

So of COURSE the aliens that are allergic to water and wood choose to invade a planet that's mostly water, and most of the rest of the planet is wood.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Opus wrote:

That might actually be his weakness all along. :lol:

Spoiler: show

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 am 

There's this random anon that pops up on my blog every now and again to call me a bunch of ineffectual 2016-era alt right insults like "sjw" and "cuck". Whoever it is is obviously somebody from here or somebody who got banned in the past. I got an email from blogger last night telling me that some of my posts had been taken down because they were reported as containing malware. It all got reversed by the morning because lol nobody is sneaking malware into a metal review, but I can only assume it's this same guy.

For the sake of MA Lore, I hope it's WaywardSon. Get a life, schmuck.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 am 

Having your own stalker... that's how you know you've made it on the internet.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:22 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
There's this random anon that pops up on my blog every now and again to call me a bunch of ineffectual 2016-era alt right insults like "sjw" and "cuck". Whoever it is is obviously somebody from here or somebody who got banned in the past. I got an email from blogger last night telling me that some of my posts had been taken down because they were reported as containing malware. It all got reversed by the morning because lol nobody is sneaking malware into a metal review, but I can only assume it's this same guy.

For the sake of MA Lore, I hope it's WaywardSon. Get a life, schmuck.

Gotta love these guys. He realises by interacting with your blog in such a way he's probably driving more traffic to it, right?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 pm 

So I've spent a lot of my day trying to come up with something witty and cool for my 666th post here. However, after some thinking, I realized that 666 is one of the most cliched things in metal ever, so for this 666th post, it's just a statement that 666 is the most cliched thing in metal. :tongue:

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm 

Just listen to "Number of the Beast", "Episode 666", or something like that.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:51 am 

HIM lyrics or something ? :lol:

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 am 

I don't know if this had been posted here before, but I can't take the chance that it hasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuOuUixdSvY

- Tim Minchin

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:11 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
I don't know if this had been posted here before, but I can't take the chance that it hasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuOuUixdSvY

I thought this one worked even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfAdPfyizS0

Incredible :lol:

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:54 am 

Hey John_Sunlight, or whatever name you go by today, if you're out there, PM ME!

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:29 pm 

Can the band DeathKids still use the name DeathKids, if the kids are now in their 30's?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296 ... 332  Next