Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm 

This reminds me (strangely enough...) of an idea I had for parody band. A death metal band themed around Monty Python. Artwork/song titles etc. Could work I think!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 pm 

Neckbeard Deathcamp is cool for parody or whatever I guess but in terms of joke bands the king is always going to be Puig Destroyer.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 pm 

Weird Al is the king of parody music. No argument. Nobody can touch the man in that area.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 pm 

Zdan wrote:
This reminds me (strangely enough...) of an idea I had for parody band. A death metal band themed around Monty Python. Artwork/song titles etc. Could work I think!

Band members dressed as Cardinals, stage names Ximenez, Biggles and Fang :)

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Band members dressed as Cardinals, stage names Ximenez, Biggles and Fang :)

And the drummer is Prof. R.J. Gumby!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I'll probably never get around to listening to them since those sort of ironic/parody/whatever the fuck you want to call'em bands turn me off and just isn't my thing.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I could be accused of taking music too seriously, but virtually all of the music I listen to resonates with me emotionally in one way or another.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:07 am 

Yeah, I appreciate Neckbeard Deathcamp more in concept than execution.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:33 pm 

I swear my taste in metal music goes up and down like a goddamn roller coaster!

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:26 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Weird Al is the king of parody music. No argument. Nobody can touch the man in that area.

https://thehardtimes.net/music/weird-al ... air-i-cut/
Maybe you'll enjoy that. I enjoy what the website does, anyway.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:18 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Absolutely agreed. The idea and lyrics of Neckbeard Deathcamp are incredible, but musically, it's nothing special.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Absolutely agreed. The idea and lyrics of Neckbeard Deathcamp are incredible, but musically, it's nothing special.

The sad thing is it seems like these sorts of endeavors are like assigning points to RPG class characters. i.e. There's just only so much time and effort one can devote to music and or lyrics and when you put too much into one, the other just might be lacking.

Unfortunately these days the concept of music is just so boring to people that you have to disguise it as something else in order to sell.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Unfortunately these days the concept of music is just so boring to people that you have to disguise it as something else in order to sell.

Did you just say that you actually have to trick people into listening to music for it to get any attention? Because that's... demonstrably untrue.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:27 pm 

Not true in an absolute sense but somewhat true in a general sense. Just speaking from personal experiences and 15 years in the game; one really does need to establish a strong brand identity and bring something extra to the table if you want an accelerated growth in fans. There's a virtually infinite supply of extremely good media and art out there and those that can differentiate themselves from the herd are usually the ones that can make it self-sustainable.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 am 

It's not everyday you'll see tennis-themed cover art:

Bigger picture:
https://indemoni.bandcamp.com/album/the-grand-slam

Notice the sponsors: Slamazon, Clit-coin, Starfuck.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:32 pm 

It's always bugged me that Cirith Ungol don't pronounce their own name correctly. I got into an argument with a friend of mine a long time ago about this, and he insists on saying it the way the band says it because 'it's their name'. My reply to that was that yes, it is, but they didn't make it up. They could've taken 30 seconds to look at the appendices. :grumble:

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 pm 

Tell that to the Boston Celtics.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:37 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Tell that to the Boston Celtics.

I thought of this too, but I didn't mention it because I couldn't care less about sports. :D

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

"Couldn't care less" is also the exact reason why that band and that team do what they do. More power to 'em.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 pm 

Haha, fair enough, but since Cirith Ungol are actually good, they have something to lose.

Edit: On second thought, maybe I'm the one who has something to lose: time of my life posting about being annoyed by CU's mispronunciation. :durr:

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 pm 

Seeing that C.U. is a made-up name from a(n overrrated, in my opinion) piece of fiction, isn't the above discussion rather redundant? This "language" is not footed in reality and therefore has no historical reason/reasonable history.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 pm 

I wonder if rexxz might be annoyed if we started calling his band Cosmic Eh! Trophy. Hehe.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Seeing that C.U. is a made-up name from a(n overrrated, in my opinion) piece of fiction, isn't the above discussion rather redundant? This "language" is not footed in reality and therefore has no historical reason/reasonable history.

Well, no, but if I make up a name for something and tell you that it's supposed to be pronounced a certain way, then it's pronounced that way because I made it up and thus I get to decide how it's supposed to be said.

But then on the other hand, who gives a shit? Nothing about the world is negatively affected by someone mispronouncing made up shit. It's the most pointless hill to die on ever.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 pm 

Pendleton Hill remains the most redundant hill to die on.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 pm 

Eh, he has a fair point xlxlx. Sometimes words are actually pronounced differently from how a band pronounces it; take for example common Spanish terms used as band names. I imagine there's probably a few out there that irk you when non-Spanish speakers say them. Who is more correct? The band, or the Spanish speaker, or both? Some people genuinely care about that. I find they're usually linguists or grammar Nazis, however. ;)

Which reminds me... gif... or gif?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 pm 

It's pronounced like Jif peanut butter and all who disagree are terrorists.

That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 pm 

I agree and my favorite animals are jiant jiraffes

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

Fuck the guy who invented the term and everyone who agrees with him. It's pronounced "Graphic Image Format" not "Jraphic Image Format." There's literally no reason to pronounce it JIF other than being stupid.

rexxz wrote:

A more apt comparison would be my favorite fruit is jreen jrapes.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:38 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Eh, he has a fair point xlxlx. Sometimes words are actually pronounced differently from how a band pronounces it; take for example common Spanish terms used as band names. I imagine there's probably a few out there that irk you when non-Spanish speakers say them. Who is more correct? The band, or the Spanish speaker, or both? Some people genuinely care about that. I find they're usually linguists or grammar Nazis, however. ;)

Well, I think that's a bit different, what with Spanish being an actual language with pre-established rules and conventions. "Cirith Ungol", on the other hand, are nonsense words ascribed meaning by their creator. So, bit of a context thing there, and this is coming from a big stickler regarding respect for any language's original pronunciations.
Quote:
Which reminds me... gif... or gif?

Oh, we are definitely not doing this bit :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:40 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Fuck the guy who invented the term and everyone who agrees with him. It's pronounced "Graphic Image Format" not "Jraphic Image Format." There's literally no reason to pronounce it JIF other than being stupid.

rexxz wrote:

A more apt comparison would be my favorite fruit is jreen jrapes.

It wasn't a comparison, but yes.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 pm 

yeah how dare the guy that invented the term say how it should be pronounced what an egotistical fuckhead

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 pm 

Dembo wrote:
It's not everyday you'll see tennis-themed cover art:

The original concept of Anal Cunt's "Morbid Florist" was to name the album "Morbid Tennis Court" and have the cover be David Vincent playing tennis against Satan.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

The guy who invented the made-up term gets to invent the made-up pronunciation.

Politics schmalitics, this is the hill I will die on. :lol:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:06 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:

Actually, it is footed in reality, and you are wrong and bad.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am 

Yeah, that's the major fault in xlxlx's reasoning, too: "I'm a big stickler regarding respect for any language's original pronunciations" and for a "language with pre-established rules and conventions," but "'Cirith Ungol' are just nonsense words" despite being part of a language with rules and conventions established by its author. Nothing really separates Spanish and Sindarin, except that one evolved differently and has more speakers. Beyond those two factors, both languages have conventions and original pronunciations, and in many ways have pre-established rules arbitrarily and originally set by the single will of a person or an institution looking to standardize the language. In the case of Sindarin, that was Tolkien. In the case of Spanish, it's Antonio de Nebrija and the Royal Spanish Academy.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am 

There are people with accents out there that don't pronounce words resembling anything close to what they are "supposed" to sound like, so even though there are rules of pronunciation in all languages, it really doesn't matter all that much in the end as long as the idea is communicated clearly enough. So, it doesn't bother me at all. People from different regions of my own country would tell me I pronounce things incorrectly, and I'd tell 'em to fuck off.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am 

1 defense of the linguistic merits of Sindarin = 1 heart react

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 am 

All this said, it's still funny when people think Sunn O))) is pronounced "Sun Oh" :lol:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 am 

Derigin wrote:
All this said, it's still funny when people think Sunn O))) is pronounced "Sun Oh" :lol:

While in fact it is pronounced "Sun O-o-o" with a slowly fading echo indicated by the ")))" :D

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:37 am 

2spooky4me

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am 

It's pronounced Sun Ojjj!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 239  Next