Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm 
 

This reminds me (strangely enough...) of an idea I had for parody band. A death metal band themed around Monty Python. Artwork/song titles etc. Could work I think!

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9511
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 pm 
 

Neckbeard Deathcamp is cool for parody or whatever I guess but in terms of joke bands the king is always going to be Puig Destroyer.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Lovebites - Battle Against Damnation
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 pm 
 

Weird Al is the king of parody music. No argument. Nobody can touch the man in that area.

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 2644
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 pm 
 

Zdan wrote:
This reminds me (strangely enough...) of an idea I had for parody band. A death metal band themed around Monty Python. Artwork/song titles etc. Could work I think!


Band members dressed as Cardinals, stage names Ximenez, Biggles and Fang :)
_________________
darkeningday wrote:
Some of us watch Star Wars movies to watch lightsabers touch other lightstabers.

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 pm 
 

severzhavnost wrote:
Zdan wrote:
This reminds me (strangely enough...) of an idea I had for parody band. A death metal band themed around Monty Python. Artwork/song titles etc. Could work I think!


Band members dressed as Cardinals, stage names Ximenez, Biggles and Fang :)


And the drummer is Prof. R.J. Gumby!

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1521
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
I'll probably never get around to listening to them since those sort of ironic/parody/whatever the fuck you want to call'em bands turn me off and just isn't my thing.


This is exactly how I feel about it. I could be accused of taking music too seriously, but virtually all of the music I listen to resonates with me emotionally in one way or another.
_________________
Reviews from The Sepulchre! Latest: Satan's Hallow - S/T

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4910
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:07 am 
 

Yeah, I appreciate Neckbeard Deathcamp more in concept than execution.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:05 am
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:33 pm 
 

I swear my taste in metal music goes up and down like a goddamn roller coaster!

Top
 Profile  
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm
Posts: 1321
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:26 pm 
 

Zdan wrote:
Weird Al is the king of parody music. No argument. Nobody can touch the man in that area.

https://thehardtimes.net/music/weird-al ... air-i-cut/
Maybe you'll enjoy that. I enjoy what the website does, anyway.
_________________
Murtal wrote:
In flames became MeloDICK Death Metal

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8379
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:18 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Yeah, I appreciate Neckbeard Deathcamp more in concept than execution.


Absolutely agreed. The idea and lyrics of Neckbeard Deathcamp are incredible, but musically, it's nothing special.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
TrooperEd
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:18 pm
Posts: 2115
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:10 pm 
 

Subrick wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Yeah, I appreciate Neckbeard Deathcamp more in concept than execution.


Absolutely agreed. The idea and lyrics of Neckbeard Deathcamp are incredible, but musically, it's nothing special.



The sad thing is it seems like these sorts of endeavors are like assigning points to RPG class characters. i.e. There's just only so much time and effort one can devote to music and or lyrics and when you put too much into one, the other just might be lacking.

Unfortunately these days the concept of music is just so boring to people that you have to disguise it as something else in order to sell.
_________________
Timeghoul wrote:
Petitioner wrote:
Shut the fuck up you pathetic shut ins.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 8007
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm 
 

TrooperEd wrote:
Unfortunately these days the concept of music is just so boring to people that you have to disguise it as something else in order to sell.

Did you just say that you actually have to trick people into listening to music for it to get any attention? Because that's... demonstrably untrue.
_________________
droneriot wrote:
The instruments used are what you would expect from the little metal people: guitaloos, bassnaps, drumdrums, and voclatrons. The best things about the guitaloos are obviously the riffraffs.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:27 pm 
 

Not true in an absolute sense but somewhat true in a general sense. Just speaking from personal experiences and 15 years in the game; one really does need to establish a strong brand identity and bring something extra to the table if you want an accelerated growth in fans. There's a virtually infinite supply of extremely good media and art out there and those that can differentiate themselves from the herd are usually the ones that can make it self-sustainable.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
Dembo
Dumbo

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:58 am
Posts: 1595
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 am 
 

It's not everyday you'll see tennis-themed cover art:
Image

Bigger picture:
https://indemoni.bandcamp.com/album/the-grand-slam

Notice the sponsors: Slamazon, Clit-coin, Starfuck.

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 2058
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:32 pm 
 

It's always bugged me that Cirith Ungol don't pronounce their own name correctly. I got into an argument with a friend of mine a long time ago about this, and he insists on saying it the way the band says it because 'it's their name'. My reply to that was that yes, it is, but they didn't make it up. They could've taken 30 seconds to look at the appendices. :grumble:
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 pm 
 

Tell that to the Boston Celtics.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 2058
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:37 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
Tell that to the Boston Celtics.


I thought of this too, but I didn't mention it because I couldn't care less about sports. :D
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm 
 

"Couldn't care less" is also the exact reason why that band and that team do what they do. More power to 'em.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 2058
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 pm 
 

Haha, fair enough, but since Cirith Ungol are actually good, they have something to lose.

Edit: On second thought, maybe I'm the one who has something to lose: time of my life posting about being annoyed by CU's mispronunciation. :durr:
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
DecemberSoul
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 950
Location: Switzerland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 pm 
 

Seeing that C.U. is a made-up name from a(n overrrated, in my opinion) piece of fiction, isn't the above discussion rather redundant? This "language" is not footed in reality and therefore has no historical reason/reasonable history.
_________________
______In Marble Halls Of Falling Snow______

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 5600
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 pm 
 

I wonder if rexxz might be annoyed if we started calling his band Cosmic Eh! Trophy. Hehe.
_________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 8007
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 pm 
 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Seeing that C.U. is a made-up name from a(n overrrated, in my opinion) piece of fiction, isn't the above discussion rather redundant? This "language" is not footed in reality and therefore has no historical reason/reasonable history.

Well, no, but if I make up a name for something and tell you that it's supposed to be pronounced a certain way, then it's pronounced that way because I made it up and thus I get to decide how it's supposed to be said.

But then on the other hand, who gives a shit? Nothing about the world is negatively affected by someone mispronouncing made up shit. It's the most pointless hill to die on ever.
_________________
droneriot wrote:
The instruments used are what you would expect from the little metal people: guitaloos, bassnaps, drumdrums, and voclatrons. The best things about the guitaloos are obviously the riffraffs.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 3813
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 pm 
 

Pendleton Hill remains the most redundant hill to die on.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 5600
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 pm 
 

Eh, he has a fair point xlxlx. Sometimes words are actually pronounced differently from how a band pronounces it; take for example common Spanish terms used as band names. I imagine there's probably a few out there that irk you when non-Spanish speakers say them. Who is more correct? The band, or the Spanish speaker, or both? Some people genuinely care about that. I find they're usually linguists or grammar Nazis, however. ;)

Which reminds me... gif... or gif?
_________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 3813
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 pm 
 

It's pronounced like Jif peanut butter and all who disagree are terrorists.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 pm 
 

I agree and my favorite animals are jiant jiraffes
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 1797
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm 
 

Earthcubed wrote:
It's pronounced like Jif peanut butter and all who disagree are terrorists.


Fuck the guy who invented the term and everyone who agrees with him. It's pronounced "Graphic Image Format" not "Jraphic Image Format." There's literally no reason to pronounce it JIF other than being stupid.

rexxz wrote:
I agree and my favorite animals are jiant jiraffes


A more apt comparison would be my favorite fruit is jreen jrapes.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 8007
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:38 pm 
 

Derigin wrote:
Eh, he has a fair point xlxlx. Sometimes words are actually pronounced differently from how a band pronounces it; take for example common Spanish terms used as band names. I imagine there's probably a few out there that irk you when non-Spanish speakers say them. Who is more correct? The band, or the Spanish speaker, or both? Some people genuinely care about that. I find they're usually linguists or grammar Nazis, however. ;)

Well, I think that's a bit different, what with Spanish being an actual language with pre-established rules and conventions. "Cirith Ungol", on the other hand, are nonsense words ascribed meaning by their creator. So, bit of a context thing there, and this is coming from a big stickler regarding respect for any language's original pronunciations.
Quote:
Which reminds me... gif... or gif?

Oh, we are definitely not doing this bit :lol:
_________________
droneriot wrote:
The instruments used are what you would expect from the little metal people: guitaloos, bassnaps, drumdrums, and voclatrons. The best things about the guitaloos are obviously the riffraffs.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:40 pm 
 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
It's pronounced like Jif peanut butter and all who disagree are terrorists.


Fuck the guy who invented the term and everyone who agrees with him. It's pronounced "Graphic Image Format" not "Jraphic Image Format." There's literally no reason to pronounce it JIF other than being stupid.

rexxz wrote:
I agree and my favorite animals are jiant jiraffes


A more apt comparison would be my favorite fruit is jreen jrapes.


It wasn't a comparison, but yes.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5142
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 pm 
 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Fuck the guy who invented the term and everyone who agrees with him. It's pronounced "Graphic Image Format" not "Jraphic Image Format." There's literally no reason to pronounce it JIF other than being stupid.



yeah how dare the guy that invented the term say how it should be pronounced what an egotistical fuckhead
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 7449
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 pm 
 

Dembo wrote:
It's not everyday you'll see tennis-themed cover art:


The original concept of Anal Cunt's "Morbid Florist" was to name the album "Morbid Tennis Court" and have the cover be David Vincent playing tennis against Satan.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 3813
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 am 
 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
It's pronounced like Jif peanut butter and all who disagree are terrorists.


Fuck the guy who invented the term and everyone who agrees with him. It's pronounced "Graphic Image Format" not "Jraphic Image Format." There's literally no reason to pronounce it JIF other than being stupid.


The guy who invented the made-up term gets to invent the made-up pronunciation.


Politics schmalitics, this is the hill I will die on. :lol:
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 11422
Location: Tyrn Gorthad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:06 am 
 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Seeing that C.U. is a made-up name from a(n overrrated, in my opinion) piece of fiction, isn't the above discussion rather redundant? This "language" is not footed in reality and therefore has no historical reason/reasonable history.


Actually, it is footed in reality, and you are wrong and bad.
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
I've been punched in the face maybe 3 times in the past 6 months


GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 5600
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am 
 

Yeah, that's the major fault in xlxlx's reasoning, too: "I'm a big stickler regarding respect for any language's original pronunciations" and for a "language with pre-established rules and conventions," but "'Cirith Ungol' are just nonsense words" despite being part of a language with rules and conventions established by its author. Nothing really separates Spanish and Sindarin, except that one evolved differently and has more speakers. Beyond those two factors, both languages have conventions and original pronunciations, and in many ways have pre-established rules arbitrarily and originally set by the single will of a person or an institution looking to standardize the language. In the case of Sindarin, that was Tolkien. In the case of Spanish, it's Antonio de Nebrija and the Royal Spanish Academy.
_________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9115
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am 
 

There are people with accents out there that don't pronounce words resembling anything close to what they are "supposed" to sound like, so even though there are rules of pronunciation in all languages, it really doesn't matter all that much in the end as long as the idea is communicated clearly enough. So, it doesn't bother me at all. People from different regions of my own country would tell me I pronounce things incorrectly, and I'd tell 'em to fuck off.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 11422
Location: Tyrn Gorthad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am 
 

1 defense of the linguistic merits of Sindarin = 1 heart react
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
I've been punched in the face maybe 3 times in the past 6 months


GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 5600
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 am 
 

All this said, it's still funny when people think Sunn O))) is pronounced "Sun Oh" :lol:
_________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Top
 Profile  
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Posts: 1238
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 am 
 

Derigin wrote:
All this said, it's still funny when people think Sunn O))) is pronounced "Sun Oh" :lol:

While in fact it is pronounced "Sun O-o-o" with a slowly fading echo indicated by the ")))" :D
_________________
!Low-Life Arrogance!
~Feel free to visit: Blog - Heavy Metal Rarities - Last.FM - Shop~
~Live young, die free~

Top
 Profile  
Derigin
The Mountain Man

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 5600
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:37 am 
 

2spooky4me
_________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 2998
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am 
 

It's pronounced Sun Ojjj!
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 239  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarthVenom and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group