* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:15 pm 

caspian wrote:
Going to a show is like having a beer on tap. Near on everything is good on tap

Haha that's a great way of putting it. Also beer on tap definitely helps a mediocre band sound better. What are beer goggles for music? Beerphones?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:19 pm 

All the time believing that it now came down to nothing but this chance...
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Been an occasional observer of that Atmospheric BM channel for a while now and I keep coming to the conclusion what a largely regressive style of music this has become. Usually it's about 5 minutes worth of listenable material that's inanely stretched out to over 40+ minutes of unending boredom and digital retardation. Fuck this shit. Forever.

It's by far the most homogenized form of music I'm aware of, and the stuff that gets filtered to YouTube channels tends to be even more samey, because it seems a lot of people just listen to it as background music and are happy for something that just keeps the same atmosphere and doesn't change. Every time I try to explore this particular YouTube niche of the style, nearly every band has repetitive programmed drums and essentially no mixing, so the guitar fizz/fuzz is the most dominant thing and there's hardly a rhythmic element to it. Worse, a large number of them are literally programmed in Guitar Pro and synthesized using RSE, which is completely lifeless.

It's almost startling to go from that background noise to anything with a human element in it.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:54 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

The first time I saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra they played this song along with a few other Savatage songs. It was also a "Beethoven's Last Night" tour, so they had played that entire album along with epic narration.

I've seen TSO several times since but none of those shows will quite live up to that first time.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:50 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:
Been an occasional observer of that Atmospheric BM channel for a while now and I keep coming to the conclusion what a largely regressive style of music this has become. Usually it's about 5 minutes worth of listenable material that's inanely stretched out to over 40+ minutes of unending boredom and digital retardation. Fuck this shit. Forever.

It's by far the most homogenized form of music I'm aware of, and the stuff that gets filtered to YouTube channels tends to be even more samey, because it seems a lot of people just listen to it as background music and are happy for something that just keeps the same atmosphere and doesn't change. Every time I try to explore this particular YouTube niche of the style, nearly every band has repetitive programmed drums and essentially no mixing, so the guitar fizz/fuzz is the most dominant thing and there's hardly a rhythmic element to it. Worse, a large number of them are literally programmed in Guitar Pro and synthesized using RSE, which is completely lifeless.

It's almost startling to go from that background noise to anything with a human element in it.

Excellent post in every way :nods:

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 am 

^
Absolutely! Also the fact that 99% of the bands slap a random nature photo with their ill fitting logo on and use it as cover art puts the final nail in the coffin

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:37 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
You can actually go from Les Legions Noires to Fred Durst in five steps.

You're seven steps removed from Nickelback.

Spoiler: show
1) You are in Illusions Dead with Aksel Kaya
2) Aksel was in Pussy Regurgitation with Jesse Kononen
3) Jesse Kononen was in God Disease, replacing Matias Autio
4) Matias Autio was in Barathrum, which earlier had Henri Sorvali
5) Henri Sorvali was in Finntroll with Brandon Ellis
6) Brandon Ellis was in Arsis with Sam Paulicelli
7) Sam Paulicelli appeared on Devin Townsend's "Empath" album with Chad Kroeger

Do you think we should do a split with them?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:27 pm 

Gloaming -> Triptykon -> Celtic Frost -> Sarcófago -> Sepultura -> Soulfly

Not too far removed from Fred Durst either. :lol:

Also in terms of degrees of separation, I'm not far from Fred Durst either.

I am long-time friends with John Scherrer.

John Scherrer played drums in Divination, and at one point Chris Lytle played bass.

Chris Lytle plays in Insatanity. In 2007, David Kinkade was on drums in Insatanity.

David Kinkade was in Soulfly from 2011-2012, appearing on the Enslaved album.

Fred Durst appeared as a guest on the first Soulfly album for one song.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 am 

That Queensryche show had to have the biggest dissonance between songs the metalheads enjoyed, songs the band enjoyed playing (their proggy new stuff) and songs the "Empire" radio crowd enjoyed. Something to be said for a varied career I guess. LaTorre didn't seem to give much of a shit about "Jet City Woman" or the Empire title song, but he murdered on the heavier, faster shit - even better than in studio. Some of the new stuff came off really well live. They totally slayed when they dug into the super old classic shit a few times.

Fates Warning fucking murdered going before them though - humble and no-frills but they were heavy as fucking anvil and dextrous, too.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

The first time I saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra they played this song along with a few other Savatage songs. It was also a "Beethoven's Last Night" tour, so they had played that entire album along with epic narration.

I've seen TSO several times since but none of those shows will quite live up to that first time.

Not writing to brag, but I wanted to share a fun experience in my life related. Back in 2010 I played a few shows with the TSO as extra personnel as a violinist. I did not know at the time that they were metal-related or anything, no idea of their past gigs and whatnot. I even would go as far as to say back then I really didn’t have any interest or respect for their band. Their music was overplayed at Christmas time everywhere I was back then. But you know, I played a few shows with the band, and I instantly grew mad respect for those guys. They’re all insanely talented and solid musicians/performers. The “rehearsal” was kind of a joke, as it was actually nothing more than a talk-through of the show numbers, but it was a great time. Near the end of the shows, they were playing a number which made me giggle reading the title, but it was called “Nutrocker.” It was like an upbeat bluesy rock tune, and one of the members held a microphone up to a few members of the crew I was with and had them improvise to the song. None of them were comfortable. We were all stiff professional orchestra musicians...go figure. But I was bred differently, and when the microphone came to me, the bluesy licks came out and the guys from the band kept coming back to me for more improv. Good times with a great band.

Ever since then, I had hoped that they’d recruit me more long-term rather than just location-based shows. But oh well, it was fun. Good shows.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 am 

Bought tickets to OverKill. Will finally see them in May. I've waited too fucking long for this. I bought two tickets, so now I need to make a friend so I have someone to go with.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:03 pm 

That's a really neat story! I got to meet Chris Caffery twice. The first time was in 2007 when he toured with Doro as well as his solo band. I got to hang out with him (not a lot of people were at that show, though that was the first time I saw Necromance, a band later to become known as MindMaze). I got a guitar pick and signed CDs.

The first Trans-Siberian Orchestra show they did, they had a meet and greet after the show. This was open to everyone, not exclusive to "VIP" tickets. That was the second time I met Chris Caffery, as well as the whole band.

Their keyboardist Vitalij Kuprij lives in my town of Reading, Pennsylvania.

RIP DIO

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:40 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Bought tickets to OverKill. Will finally see them in May. I've waited too fucking long for this. I bought two tickets, so now I need to make a friend so I have someone to go with.

I've only seen them once and that was almost 6 years ago, and I still remember that show. They were incredible and the only band better than them that day was Iron Maiden. Have fun my dude.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

I'm gonna be at that show! Last time I saw them, Feel the Fire got me into the pit for the first time in 10+ years!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:06 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I'm gonna be at that show! Last time I saw them, Feel the Fire got me into the pit for the first time in 10+ years!

I've never been to the place in Minneapolis where they're playing, but it looks rad. I bought two tickets, so it's either going to be a first real concert for my son, or I'll need to find someone.

My son has technically seen Alice Cooper, but he was like 2 at the time ha ha.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 pm 

ReignInBloodyGore wrote:
Not writing to brag, but I wanted to share a fun experience in my life related. Back in 2010 I played a few shows with the TSO as extra personnel as a violinist. I did not know at the time that they were metal-related or anything, no idea of their past gigs and whatnot. I even would go as far as to say back then I really didn’t have any interest or respect for their band. Their music was overplayed at Christmas time everywhere I was back then. But you know, I played a few shows with the band, and I instantly grew mad respect for those guys. They’re all insanely talented and solid musicians/performers. The “rehearsal” was kind of a joke, as it was actually nothing more than a talk-through of the show numbers, but it was a great time. Near the end of the shows, they were playing a number which made me giggle reading the title, but it was called “Nutrocker.” It was like an upbeat bluesy rock tune, and one of the members held a microphone up to a few members of the crew I was with and had them improvise to the song. None of them were comfortable. We were all stiff professional orchestra musicians...go figure. But I was bred differently, and when the microphone came to me, the bluesy licks came out and the guys from the band kept coming back to me for more improv. Good times with a great band.

Ever since then, I had hoped that they’d recruit me more long-term rather than just location-based shows. But oh well, it was fun. Good shows.

Hah, that's a pretty awesome story, mate.
Goatfangs wrote:
Their keyboardist Vitalij Kuprij lives in my town of Reading, Pennsylvania.

That guy is fucking God of Keyboards. No one even comes close to him.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 pm 

I know "hey, listen to these hilarious vocals on this dsbm album" is kind of beating a dead horse at this point, but these here were described as "Miss Piggy" and goddamn if that ain't the truth.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:45 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I know "hey, listen to these hilarious vocals on this dsbm album" is kind of beating a dead horse at this point, but these here were described as "Miss Piggy" and goddamn if that ain't the truth.

Wow. I thought you were exaggerating. But wow.
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:26 am 

I just realised there've been more Australian prime ministers since I started my last job than German chancellors since I was born.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:00 pm 

Some bad news regarding Battleroar: Gerrit Mutz has left the band. Here is the post made on their official facebook (found here):

All good things come to an end, so, unfortunately we would like to announce the departure of our singer and brother Gerrit Mutz from the band, after almost 8 glorious years!
Along with our sincere gratitude for everything we shared while being in the same band, we would like to express our best wishes on whatever he will do from now on and make clear that he remains our brother forever and beyond!
A farewell message in his own words, follows:
"It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce my departure from Battleroar today.

It was never easy to keep this going, being in a band abroad, but my brotherhood with Kostas and the love for the music kept me continue for way longer than feasible.
Now more and more health issues, work and schedule conflicts force me to cut a lot of activities and beloved things.

It was a pleasure playing and recording with Battleroar. And I want to thank Kostas, Michael, Sverd, Greg and George for the great time, the fantastic records and the wonderful gigs!

I wish you all my metal best for the future of the band! Keep the epic metal raging, brothers!"

---------------------------------------

I found Blood of Legends to be on the whole quite disappointing (though with a few EXCELLENT tracks), but Codex Epicus was a humungous improvement, and rivals To Death and Beyond as my favorite Battleroar album.

At least the split was amicable. I wonder what health issues Gerrit is talking about?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:34 pm 

What happened to that Italian (I think?) guy who was on their first three albums? Thought he was a much better fit for the band, vocally, anyway.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 am 

Well, that's a bummer. I just got into Battleroar with their most recent album. At least he still has his doom groups.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:04 am 

Well, I tried. Can't say I didn't try. My iPod Classic is officially beyond life support. I attempted factory resets, I replaced the dead hard drive with a flash drive, and I took it to a repair place to have a diagnostic run on it. Looks like I will have to buy a replacement.

Of a product I genuinely enjoy that is no longer made and still very expensive. Sigh.

It's the only Apple product I like. I like how it keeps my music organized, I like programmable playlists, music ratings, how iTunes rips music from CDs, the physical buttons, and so forth. This is superior to the shit Apple makes now for iPods. I don't understand why they can't just keep making the Classic models with way more memory. Just make a new iPod Classic with 512GB of space and physical buttons. I know it'll be an overpriced $400, but dammit, that's all I want in my fucking music player.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 am 

My hometown already has more snowpack than Spring 1965, a year that saw historic flooding... And we're now predicted to get 12+ inches of snow on Saturday. This could be very bad.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:21 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Well, I tried. Can't say I didn't try. My iPod Classic is officially beyond life support. I attempted factory resets, I replaced the dead hard drive with a flash drive, and I took it to a repair place to have a diagnostic run on it. Looks like I will have to buy a replacement.

Of a product I genuinely enjoy that is no longer made and still very expensive. Sigh.

It's the only Apple product I like. I like how it keeps my music organized, I like programmable playlists, music ratings, how iTunes rips music from CDs, the physical buttons, and so forth. This is superior to the shit Apple makes now for iPods. I don't understand why they can't just keep making the Classic models with way more memory. Just make a new iPod Classic with 512GB of space and physical buttons. I know it'll be an overpriced $400, but dammit, that's all I want in my fucking music player.

I know how you feel, I still use my iPod Nano after 9 years. It's gone through weird cycles where for a while the lock switch wouldn't work and the buttons would press themselves a lot, but for the last 6 months or so it fixed itself and has worked perfectly. Except I dropped it a few months ago and destroyed the screen. BUT one carefully-applied strip of clear packing tape later and it's still truckin'. It's really the physical buttons more than anything else that keep me attached to it. I detest the "touchscreen uber alles" mentality that has taken over all kinds of portable devices.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 am 

I bought an iPod Classic in 2014 right before they announced they were discontinuing them. Liked that old model, but then I randomly lost it in 2016 in some unknown way... anticlimactic. But since then I've just used my cheap Android phone and Google Play for music and it's actually solid and has given me no issues.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm 

My ipod was stolen a couple years back (it was near death anyway) and I dealt with the loss the same way. Google Play does what I need it to do and I haven't looked back.

- Tim Minchin

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:37 pm 

@Hazard: man I share your pain! My iPod Classic kept alive from 2011-17ish. I say ish because beyond that point it had become too old for my computer to recognize it and sync with iTunes any more, so I couldn’t add any new music to it. (But could still play what was already on there). Last year it went totally dead, so now I just have a tiny fraction of my music collection on my phone.
And screw Apple’s new crap! I don’t need my music player to have a touch screen, or a camera, or WiFi access, or anything else that makes the thing grossly overexpensive. I want a large capacity box full of music!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:38 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
@Hazard: man I share your pain! My iPod Classic kept alive from 2011-17ish. I say ish because beyond that point it had become too old for my computer to recognize it and sync with iTunes any more, so I couldn’t add any new music to it. (But could still play what was already on there). Last year it went totally dead, so now I just have a tiny fraction of my music collection on my phone.
And screw Apple’s new crap! I don’t need my music player to have a touch screen, or a camera, or WiFi access, or anything else that makes the thing grossly overexpensive. I want a large capacity box full of music!

That is pretty much exactly my mentality on this. I only want it to play music the way it did before. The iPod was a perfect music player. ITunes may be imperfect, but it handles things the way I like. I have a decade of play stats and the like in this, and I liked having all of that, the physical buttons, the ease of use.

My iPod, a 120GB Classic, lasted 2009-2019. RIP.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 pm 

I feel your pain. My classic iPod lasted almost FIFTEEN years before it tapped out. Agreed with the iTunes observations as well - it's flawed and clunky, but oddly satisfying.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:11 pm 

I've been back to using my iPod classic from high school for the last few years. I even bought an iTouch like 5 years ago just because I figured it was time to "upgrade" and then it just totally clunked out after about two years so I went back to my old 30 gig Classic and it still works fine after all this time. Don't make 'em like they used to. I do wish I bought a model with more gigs way back when though. I always have to delete stuff in order to put new music on.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:02 pm 

Yeah I never really understood all the hate iTunes got for "ARGH IT DELETED ALL MY MUSIC AND KICKED MY DOG." Been using it since high school and always seemed pretty easy not to screw up imo.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:11 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
What happened to that Italian (I think?) guy who was on their first three albums? Thought he was a much better fit for the band, vocally, anyway.

He is currently singing in another Greek heavy metal band called Dexter Ward. They put out their second album, Rendezvous with Destiny, in 2016. It's pretty good, but surely no To Death and Beyond.

It would be cool if Battleroar got him back. But their line-up has been a revolving door for some time now. I wonder if Kostas Tzortzis (guitarist and only remaining original member) is just difficult to deal with or something.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 pm 

My ipod classic is sitting around somewhere, but I just use my phone now. Super convenient that Google Play lets you upload and stream your library. I was pretty crushed when my iphone video died back in the day. It was the first big thing I bought with my first job ever when I was in highschool.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm 

I miss my ipod classic, poor thing just finally gave out after surviving for nearly eight or so years back in 2015/2016. Nowadays I just use Spotify or add specific albums that aren't on there on to my phone. It's not ideal, I loved the big ass box of music that could carry around months worth of music, but it *is* admittedly convenient to just have it all in one spot now (as in I almost never have to add or delete things because I can stream anything at any time). If I could just get another Classic I would do it in a heartbeat, but my current setup is working fine.

Fuck Apple for cornering the market on MP3 players, making hands down the best one, completely destroying all of the competition, and then declaring the market for it dead and just killing it. So now nobody wins.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 am 

I have a Sony mp3 player from way back, still plays like a champ. probably the best mp3 player for metal and heavier music and it doesn't sound drowned out, or have those tinny guitars like my iphone. I baby it because I know its only a matter of time.

Now that i think about it, the best mp3 player I had was a Sylvania 8 GB around 10 years ago. Yes the light bulb company.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:39 am 

i miss my ipod classic but my current phone has over three times the capacity, so i don't miss it too much

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:27 pm 

Fates Warning's Theories of Flight is basically the Rush album we never got after Clockwork Angels. Really fucking good. I like how it's just so no-nonsense and unpretentious, yet also super well crafted. Just a bunch of great tunes delivered by a bunch of pros.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:14 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Yeah I never really understood all the hate iTunes got for "ARGH IT DELETED ALL MY MUSIC AND KICKED MY DOG." Been using it since high school and always seemed pretty easy not to screw up imo.

Once I figured out how and where iTunes saves all the stats it records over the years, that pretty much fixed any issues I had with it. Then it was easy to install on a new computer and carry everything over.

Back in the day, I went through a large number of different music players. I don't even remember all of them. A lot of them are probably dead now, and none of them were quite as clean or as well organized as iTunes was even then. The only problem with iTunes back in the day was that it was a memory hog for apparently no good reason. But computers typically have RAM to spare these days.

I'm a pretty harsh critic of Apple in general, but I will still stand by iTunes and the iPod Classic. That was a perfect combo for music. The only thing it [i]maybe[i] needed was to find some way to integrate with modern streaming services like Spotify. Oh, and to keep making the fucking iPod Classics.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 pm 

I regret not flashing the ROM on my iPod with different firmware to this day, because half my old music is encoded in that stupid ALAC format since iPods didn't play FLAC.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 226  Next