* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
putrevomitory
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:56 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
When the song's just too fast, how do you headbang?

Furiously.

like this
Youtube: show
tyrexya - metal beamin' raps, & then some
i draw logos

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:28 am 

I recall the good ole days when around this time you would see one of the regular contributors active. I'm a hypocrite in that regard, as I've been out of the swing of things around here for some time now, and perhaps the traces of this recollection lead to me post in such a manner.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:59 am 

putrevomitory wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Furiously.

like this

Corpsegrinder put it nicely last month.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:44 pm 

Any fans of Master Wilburn Burchette? A friend put me onto Guitar Grimoire and I love it. Very simple, guitar only music centering around rituals, incantations, meditation and uhhhhhh witches I guess. Very minimalistic. No vocals or any other instrumentation.

Some of his other albums incorporate more synth and have sort of a Tangerine Dream feel if they made albums about occult rituals instead of space time continuums or whatever the fuck.

Recommended if you dig minimalist stuff.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 pm 

I have to wonder: when the staff of this site says a blacklisted band is "riffless", do they mean "devoid of metal riffs", or "devoid of ANY riffs entirely"? A lot of the bands they deem "riffless" I'd argue have riffs, just ones not based in metal specifically. It feels weird to refer to sections where a consistent distinct melody is repeated not riffs, even if they're e.g some weird tappy djent stuff that isn't metallic at all.

I also saw a mod here once say a band was "riffless" slam and like...I thought slams were riffs in the first place???

(I am admittedly biased as a person who loves djent's propensity towards long and non-metal tapping sections that don't have the same kind of inner cohesion as e.g a tightly-bound death metal riff)

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:06 am 

Someone I assume pretending to be Varg has added me on Steam as a friend. Apparently he's a fan of American Truck Simulator.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 am 

Vadara wrote:
I have to wonder: when the staff of this site says a blacklisted band is "riffless", do they mean "devoid of metal riffs", or "devoid of ANY riffs entirely"? A lot of the bands they deem "riffless" I'd argue have riffs, just ones not based in metal specifically. It feels weird to refer to sections where a consistent distinct melody is repeated not riffs, even if they're e.g some weird tappy djent stuff that isn't metallic at all.

Usually when we say "riffless" we mean metal riffs, and almost always there's some hyperbole in what we say there, too.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 am 

Well there is a lot of stuff out there that doesnt have riffs but just has chord progressions.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am 

Sometimes it seems like critiques of a band being "riffless" just means "it doesn't have the kind of riffs I like." But sometimes it's accurate in that it's just not really focused on metal riffs, sure.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:03 pm 

Quote:
A Pakistani politician's live-streamed press conference descended into farce when a cat filter was switched on by mistake.

Shaukat Yousafzai was briefing journalists last Friday when the setting was accidentally turned on.

Facebook users watching the video live commented on the gaffe, but Mr Yousafzai carried on unaware of his feline features.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48663289

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:29 pm 

Oh god the new mobile spotify layout sucks, what on earth were they thinking. Why is the saved album list now not split up by letter and just a giant ugly mega-long list of albums?

Sometimes I feel like this app's design is aimed solely to people who listen to top 40 pop playlists and everyone else is an afterthought.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

I tend to just bob my head or tap my foot to the main rhythm, so when it gets really fast I just keep time with the main rhythm and go at my own pace as it will always conflate.

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 pm 

Does anyone else remember Fanfarigoule? I just realized he hasn't been around since about 2011. It's crazy when you actually miss seeing another member.

And I just still can't believe Diamhea is gone. I remember when I used to literally see him on every band update made and the reports queue. And in the forum! Dang it.

putrevomitory
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 am 

I used to wonder if Diamhea worked out while keeping tabs on metallum :panda:
tyrexya - metal beamin' raps, & then some
i draw logos

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:39 pm 

Yesterday I saw a thread about the top-rated albums on the archives and someone on that thread posted a really cool site where there were the highest rated albums classified by genre, but for the life of me, I can't find such thread. Help me, please.

Last edited by Thexhumed on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124219

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm 

Thanks!

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:36 pm 

I freaking love this version of 'Into the Void'. It's interesting to know that they apparently wrote it before they downtuned for Master of Reality.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 am 

Nitro has split up. I'm sure they will be missed.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:30 am 

This morning, my drive to work included a parade about a mile long of classic cars. I live next to the State Fairgrounds and the Back to the 50's auto show (it's really focused on pre-1964 cars) is happening this weekend, so that was a rad thing to see. I think I'll take my son this afternoon.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:59 pm 

The Youtube algorithm can be a blessed thing sometimes. Ningen Isu's latest music video for their song "Heartless Scat" is nearing 700k views out of nowhere. Comment section is filled with people new to the band. Pretty cool.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
The Youtube algorithm can be a blessed thing sometimes. Ningen Isu's latest music video for their song "Heartless Scat" is nearing 700k views out of nowhere. Comment section is filled with people new to the band. Pretty cool.

And it's a great song but damn does this band love to overload their albums with filler. The album would be a lot better if you culled literally half of it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 pm 

I've been seeing that video pop up everywhere on YouTube lately. The ending riff to that song is ludicrously heavy!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 pm 

This is probably a mistake to post and I'm most likely about to start the pettiest of arguments, but I'm starting to become convinced that 'Witching Hour' by Venom was the first real thrash metal song. The riffs are thrash as fuck as well as the drumming. 'Witching Hour' is probably the first ever song that truly resembles thrash metal as we think of it now.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 pm 

call it thrash metal or not, it was definitely outstanding in the context of the album and innovative beyond. it surely added an "extra something" to venom's sound and had a formative influence on later music, aesthetics etc. insanely well-written song on its own and probably my favorite song from their whole discography.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:31 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
This is probably a mistake to post and I'm most likely about to start the pettiest of arguments, but I'm starting to become convinced that 'Witching Hour' by Venom was the first real thrash metal song. The riffs are thrash as fuck as well as the drumming. 'Witching Hour' is probably the first ever song that truly resembles thrash metal as we think of it now.

Just look at the bands that covered it. I think they might back you up.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:03 pm 

Should we hope for a new Demons & Wizards album? I know I want one.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53 am 

I am pretty impressed at how good Cradle of Filth sounds live nowadays.

I remember back in early 2010's their concerts were absolutely cringeworthy. Dani was practically unlistenable even with his heavy use of vocoder. Their gig at Metal Camp festival finished with people throwing stuff like filled plastic glasses at drunken Dani onstage and him returning the favor by throwing ventilation fans at them. Rumor had it later that day he completely trashed the hotel room. Band sounded horrible in some of their future outings as well.

It's good to see Dani cleaned up his act and their gigs are once again enjoyable.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:30 am 

Saturday was my first time at a Pride festival. It took over an entire park in Minneapolis, and not one of the small parks. It was pretty fun. I also got my first ever Chick Tract. If you don't know what these are, you... oh you should ha ha. Little comic books that are nothing more than grotesque religious propaganda. Usually unintentionally hilarious, but also horrifying.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:17 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I also got my first ever Chick Tract. If you don't know what these are, you... oh you should ha ha. Little comic books that are nothing more than grotesque religious propaganda. Usually unintentionally hilarious, but also horrifying.

Jake and Hugo take the piss out of a large amount of them. :V
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:23 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
I also got my first ever Chick Tract. If you don't know what these are, you... oh you should ha ha. Little comic books that are nothing more than grotesque religious propaganda. Usually unintentionally hilarious, but also horrifying.

Jake and Hugo take the piss out of a large amount of them. :V

That is actually where I first learned of these things about two years ago. I finally now have my very own.

I have yet to be compelled to convert to Christianity.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:25 pm 

My partner and I went to a women's rights rally on Saturday and I ended up singing Highway to Hell at an anti-choice protester who wandered into the middle of the crowd doing a Facebook livefeed. It was a good time.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:31 pm 

Good News: I found a new job! And it's another security position! And it pays a little better than my previous job! Hooray!

Bad News: It's at an adult behavioral rehab center! With a lot of buildings! And very few cameras! On 2nd shift! And it's 30 minutes away instead of right next door! And did I mention these are recovering drug-addict adults? That I'm expected to help out with! After all the counselors are gone for the day! In a stuffy booth! Deep inside Trump country! Hooray...question mark?

Spoiler: show
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:14 pm 

Wow that sounds very similar to what a friend of mine is doing every day. Well y'all know him as Heavy T Skubbs or Count Venereal. He made it about 2 weeks before a patient slapped him in the face. Hope you have a better run!

Glad it pays more. That commute is a bummer for sure.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm 

Good luck with that! It sounds like the type of gig that's gonna be really active so either really fun or a complete nightmare. But, at least it won't be boring!

Little bit of a life update: got about a month and change left in Korea, marking five years here. After that I'm fucking off to the beach in Vietnam for a month to sit around doing absolutely nothing. Then after a quick visit to the U.S. I'm heading for England (Hail and Kill) for grad school.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Little bit of a life update: got about a month and change left in Korea, marking five years here. After that I'm fucking off to the beach in Vietnam for a month to sit around doing absolutely nothing. Then after a quick visit to the U.S. I'm heading for England (Hail and Kill) for grad school.

Daaamn dude, you still in Korea? I remember we met like +3.5 years ago there! I came back in 2016 once that contract was up. Please don't tell me you still hung around kindergarteners all that time.

I'll be planning a Japan trip next year but that'll just be a month vacation with a friend. No teaching again.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:50 pm 

Spinning Iskra right now and I have to admit: this really sounds like malevolent thrash metal? Like I'm not familiar with BM at all but what little I've heard always gives me the impression of really malevolent thrash, outside of the more atmospheric tremolo-for-five-minutes-straight kind.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Daaamn dude, you still in Korea? I remember we met like +3.5 years ago there! I came back in 2016 once that contract was up. Please don't tell me you still hung around kindergarteners all that time.

I'll be planning a Japan trip next year but that'll just be a month vacation with a friend. No teaching again.

Heh, no. I left that job (and city) around Halloween 2016. I moved down south near Busan and teach mostly middle school kids. To be honest they're probably more annoying to teach because they're so apathetic and zombie-like. The little kids are exhausting but at least you can do things like play games or get them to sing or put on a play or whatever.

But yeah, doing the teaching thing long-term. Just...not in East Asia. Education over here is totally fucked, hah.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am 

Next week, my son and I will be doing a father-son vacation (our first) and traveling west. We have a family reunion in Idaho (groan) and my mom is moving to Idaho. On the way, I want to find a bunch of rad stuff for him and I to stop and see.

Mostly on my list is just this:

Yellowstone
The Cliff Dwellings in Colorado
Possibly the Stanley Hotel ghost tour

Anyone have any other suggestions? We'll be traveling from Minnesota and my son is 15, so he's old enough for all sorts of shit.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:58 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
But yeah, doing the teaching thing long-term. Just...not in East Asia. Education over here is totally fucked, hah.

I'm in China and middle/high school stress is unreal. Like, kids who don't have time to take a shower for 6 days a week because they need to study all the time. Is Korea like that too?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 220  Next