Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:33 pm 

droneriot wrote:
BBC ran an article on a new fintech called Curve and while it's a really smart idea it's also a really obvious idea that just has me wondering why the hell no one ever did that before.

Because I have only one card?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm 

New life update: fuck UK Visas and Immigration. Silly bastards. No grad school for me this year; currently sitting around in Baltimore getting ready to fly back to Korea for one more year. Oh well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:54 pm 

im not quite sure but considering brexit is it actually a smart idea to go there

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:11 pm 

To each their own. Even if Brexit was the end of British civilisation I'd still not move to South Korea.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
New life update: fuck UK Visas and Immigration. Silly bastards. No grad school for me this year; currently sitting around in Baltimore getting ready to fly back to Korea for one more year. Oh well.

What did they do man?

I’m having visa difficulties myself because I didn’t know I had to have a year of validity in my passport to get a new work visa in China. Sadly the guy who told me this did so through an online translation engine and the message ended up scrambled, meaning that I thought I was fine. Then I showed it to my wife and she clarified, so my passport’s in the post and I’m sitting here with an expired visa...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:11 pm 

Jeez, I feel that pain.

Basically what happened was this: the UK government keeps a list of countries that are tuberculosis risks. South Korea is one of them while the U.S. isn't. If you've lived in an at-risk country for six months of the past year, then you need to get a TB test prior to applying for the visa. I knew this, and thought it would be smarter to wait to get the TB test done in the U.S. rather than deal with making sure whatever test results I got in Korea were correctly translated and usable for the visa application. Keep in mind this whole time I'm in regular contact with the international student coordinator guy at my university, who was well aware of my schedule and the foibles it presented to the visa process.

Anyway, I left Korea at the beginning of August, spent a month doing fuckall in Vietnam, rushed through Korea again for four days saying my goodbyes, then landed in the U.S. the first Monday of September (Labor Day, Hail the Worker!). Waiting for my Korean pension payout to get processed so I could pay off my tuition and apply for the U.K. visa, I casually email the international student coordinator guy to just check if I can get the TB test at any regular walk-in clinic, or if it has to be done at a hospital, or what (hoping for the former as I'm uninsured and that's far cheaper).

He writes me back to say that since the U.S. is NOT a TB-risk country, UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) does not recognize TB tests performed at any medical facility at all in the United States. Or Canada. Or Mexico. He tells me that the only TB test results they'll accept are from approved clinics in the TB risk countries, meaning my only option is to fly to Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, or further south (or to Africa or Asia) to get tested, then come back to the U.S. and apply for the visa. The cost of flying to any of these places to get a TB test is high enough that my funds would drop below the threshold I need to apply for the visa in the first place, so the net result is that I'm fucked either way.

So, back to Korea I go.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:14 pm 

So just do a holiday on a beach in Brazil then and get your test in betwen sipping caipirinhas between almost entire naked beauties, no?

Also fuck Marco Di Stasio trying to out-sloth me.

Youtube: show

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:35 pm 

Brazil is not on the list.

Also, as I said, if I flew to a faraway foreign land and back, it would drain my bank account enough that I would fail the financial requirement for the visa anyway.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 pm 

Yes I've learned the UK is famous for that. Don't enter if you got no cash.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:51 pm 

I have enough cash to meet the requirement. If I spend $1500 flying round trip to a third world country to get a tuberculosis test, I won't have enough. They want you to have enough dough to live for a year there even if you get no other money from anywhere else the whole time you're there. Pretty rough, but I saved up for it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 pm 

Before my wife came to Germany she was in the UK and she kept being paranoid about not having the minimum amount of money to come here and I was like what the fuck are you talking about, only the UK does that kind of shit, Germany only cares if you have a place to stay and can feed yourself, you don't need to prove you can join the league of extraordinary five o' clock tea sippers to come here.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:01 am 

Yeah, what I’ve learned from this is to do what you need to do, do it before you think you need to, and don’t rely on the guy giving you advice.

I’ve got to get one of the TB checks for flying to Australia next year, and they have a very short list of Chinese hospitals (about 12) where you can get it done. Fortunately, the UK doesn’t care that I’ve lived in a TB hotspot for 5 years (ironically, 3 years actually living on the grounds of a TB hospital) because I’m a British citizen. What a mess of a policy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:06 pm 

Actually the UK would care about that. It said that if you've been away longer than two years and have lived in a TB risk country you need to get tested (but then again I guess that only applies to UK resident non-citizens who'd need to get a student visa in the UK in the first place...).

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:42 am 

Really hope the UK still likes me after this. I’ve spent 5 hours today at the local police station, had my blood, urine, and fucking shoelaces taken, and now need to pay about a third of my monthly salary. I’m still waiting to pay and it’s 8pm.

Oh, and today the guy from my company who’s in charge of my visa told me that it’s actually possible to get a short-term one. So I didn’t need to do all of this.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 pm 

Hate to make a stereotypical "lol weed" comment, but goddamn if Born Too Late doesn't sound grate when you're baked.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:59 am 

Great to see people evolving. My friend started playing guitar some months ago. He couldn't play shit. Now he's almost as good as I am. And I've been strumming for some 20 years. Goes to show I should've been taking piano and guitar lessons, when I had motivation to play music. Now I feel it's too late. No goals in life, just happy cruising around...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Hate to make a stereotypical "lol weed" comment, but goddamn if Born Too Late doesn't sound grate when you're baked.

Grate album, but they've made grater.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am 

Made it over a year without getting sick. Then ended up with a cold last week, which is finally clearing. Pretty good run for once, though. Was still hoping I'd make it through all of 2019.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:17 pm 

I did pretty good for 2019 then three weeks ago got hit with some cold/flu hybrid that seemed to change daily with one symptom replacing another. One day nose leaking, next day coughing, day after that stomach pains, day after throat pain, etc, etc. Weirdest cold I have had.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:21 pm 

The main source of common cold and flu are school kids and parents of school kids, the less you interact with them the less often you catch their bugs. My colds and flus go up and down depending how frequently I meet my siblings (all with kids who go to school), it's an incredibly accurate correlation.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:05 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

First time testing which albums sound better ripped? Just wait till you throw on some Yob or Ufomammut. See you on the other side.

BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - Death? Prog? Melodic? iunno
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm 

German court rules hangovers are an 'illness'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49802749

Lots of people will want to use this ruling to get some paid sick leave.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The main source of common cold and flu are school kids and parents of school kids, the less you interact with them the less often you catch their bugs. My colds and flus go up and down depending how frequently I meet my siblings (all with kids who go to school), it's an incredibly accurate correlation.

Yeah, mine spread from my girlfriend's kids. Between the two of us, we have three kids ages 16, 7, and 4, so disease vectors all around. My odds of getting sick went way up this fall because of this.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 pm 

Celebrated my one year anniversary with my girlfriend yesterday! We kept it pretty simple, made supper together and then played MtG for a few hours :). Life is good, my friends!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:36 am 

Just bought fairly cheap tickets to go see Deep Purple this week. Stoked. I was thinking I'd missed the opportunity just the other day.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:28 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
Celebrated my one year anniversary with my girlfriend yesterday! We kept it pretty simple, made supper together and then played MtG for a few hours :). Life is good, my friends!

A MtG-playing girlfriend? Those do not exist.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
MammothRider wrote:

My girlfriend is obsessed with MtG and she is trying to get me into it. :3

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Grate album, but they've made grater.

Shit, I just noticed that :lol:
RapeTheDead wrote:
First time testing which albums sound better ripped? Just wait till you throw on some Yob or Ufomammut. See you on the other side.

Oh yeah, it was sort of like that, haha, but I dunno man, I'm not sure I'm interested in the denser, more sprawled out forms of doom for that kind of fun time, ya know? I like my listens to have at least the tiniest bit of kinetic energy behind them, if you get me.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:01 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
MammothRider wrote:

This one does, I assure you!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:21 pm 

Nothing like eating an entire jar of Castelvetrano olives in one sitting....

late night depression meals can be weird.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:33 pm 

Not a big fan of that style, but I have a hard time not eating a whole container of garlic-stuffed olives at once.

Also reminds me of a greentext thing floating around for a while where a guy described absent-mindedly eating an entire large jar of dill pickles and being subsequently incapacitated with stomach cramps for the next four hours.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 am 

Weird "as seen on TV" moments over the past couple days. Tuesday night, my girlfriend's ex-husband called her warbling on for over an hour and a half--breaking the Order for Protection she has filed against him. She recorded the entire conversation, which she'll use to further bury the asshole during their divorce, and eventually extending the OFP. He sounded drunk and is an alcoholic who can't keep his shit together for their kids, so he's down to 2 hours of supervised visitation per week.

Sure enough, as I predicted, he was triggered to do this largely after learning about me and that she's moving on with her life. So learning about me effectively drove him to making some stupid decisions. They haven't had a relationship for almost two years, and are in the stages of finalizing the divorce, so he should've started moving on a long time ago. Which it seemed like he did, because instead of paying child support, he spent his money on booze and escorts.

Anyway, as he violated a court order, she called the cops on him, but they couldn't locate him that night. This was 11pm - 1am Tuesday night. I wasn't at her place, but stayed up and we texted the entire time during the call. Yesterday, he suddenly started calling her and texting her again, I guess because he already violated the order, he figured he might as well just keep fucking up. Cops called again, and this time they had her basically set up a sting, telling she'll meet at Culver's to hand some items over. Thankfully, he was stupid enough to show up and he was arrested on the spot and is currently in jail. He will probably be levied a fine for violating the order.

This guy was abusive in pretty much all the ways, and she was understandably buried in anxiety dealing with this and having to basically set up a sting to get him arrested. "This is some true crime tv shit," she said. Nutty couple of days.

In the meantime, my mom, brothers, and me finally sold some property and my girlfriend also got an offer on her house.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:47 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Not a big fan of that style, but I have a hard time not eating a whole container of garlic-stuffed olives at once.

Also reminds me of a greentext thing floating around for a while where a guy described absent-mindedly eating an entire large jar of dill pickles and being subsequently incapacitated with stomach cramps for the next four hours.

My girlfriend can wolf down an entire jar of spicy dill pickles with no ill effects.

RIP DIO

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:10 pm 

I usually quit after 58.2% but that's basically an entire jar anyway.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:21 pm 

I usually quit after I'm 34.788% complete.

(...sorry, I'll go now.)

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 pm 

Well some people consider that complete.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:19 pm 

Bah fuck. Beer slushy. I left the beer in the freezer too long, what a chore to try to drink something 80% solid.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:34 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Bah fuck. Beer slushy. I left the beer in the freezer too long, what a chore to try to drink something 80% solid.

Man, that sounds amazing after a little time to thaw out :beer:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:31 pm 

Lobotomizer meets Donald Trump.

Youtube: show

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:46 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Rookie mistake.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223  Next