Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:45 pm 

Timeghoul wrote:
Before I went into the military I worked in a factory where I broke my balls for them. It was the type of place with no paid days off and no paid sick days. If you missed work, you didn't get paid. Needless to say I pretty much had perfect attendance. I was there for a few years and the boss came up to me. I was told I had been given a nickel an hour raise. I was already making minimum wage. What a shithole to work in. I was trapped though. I had moved back to Long Island and my whole life fell apart within a few weeks. The worst part was my car broke down and I didn't have money to fix it. I walked or rode a bike everywhere I went. I was trapped in a vicious cycle. Couldnt afford to get my car fixed/get a new car, so I couldn't get a new job. Once in a while I took a bus, but I lived week to week by the penny. A few dollars to ride the bus was actually a lot of money for me at the time.

That's really bad, mate. Are you out of this cycle now? I hope times are a little bit better now.

My job got two pay rises last year of well over $2 an hour and will get at least one this year, so I'm doing the best I've ever done.

Dormiebasne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A dude showed up in a thread about Amon acting like their biggest cheerleader and shitting all over Glen Benton. People very quickly came to the conclusion that it was probably Eric Hoffman and spent the entire rest of the thread skewering him alive for being an idiot and a roidhead.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91059&p=2743623#p2743623

This rivals the hilarity I would see on the SMN news forums, back in the day. I seriously wish I had a link, but the best was probably when Shawn Whittaker from Insidious Decrepancy showed up in a thread accusing (Brain Drill?) of bringing a shit load of weed with them ("garbage bags", which became a meme in the forum). I don't totally remember the circumstances, but it basically ended with the revelation Shawn had relapsed on cocaine and was selling his gear to get more.

Then there was Flo Mournier defending The Unspoken King, saying "THOSE ARE NOT BREAKDOWNS, THOSE ARE GROOVES", which became a meme in my social circle for when someone fucks up or puts in no effort.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:01 pm 

Holy shit, Kobe Bryant died?

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:19 pm 

And one of his daughters. Helicopter crash in Calabasas. Shit’s fucked.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

NuclearDrumsCrushedMyBrain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:01 am 

BastardHead wrote:
There are exceptions to both.

Exhibit A: Boomers and Gen Xers who got swept up in metal as a cultural phenomenon in the 80s and either lost interest as they got older (like my dad) or refuse to listen to anything that wasn't already popular back at the time when metal a media sensation (like Eddie Trunk). We don't see them anymore because they left. I'm willing to bet that touring musicians like Rob Zombie and nerds like us don't know people like that for the same reason we rarely run into rabid ska fans. It's just a different social umbrella. Closest thing my generation probably has are the people who got super into nu metal/metalcore/deathcore in high school and just moved on once they grew up. I realize as I type this that I'm probably missing the point since these are all scenes we don't really associate with in general but still, I'd wager there are throngs of people who got into metal for a short time and grew out of it, we just don't think of it because we're mostly all lifers here with no hope of escape.

Exhibit B: I also used to think that metal wasn't cult like until I remembered South America exists. Go watch that scene from Flight 666 where that Colombian guy catches Nicko McBain's drumstick and collapses into a weeping religious epiphany like he was holding the Shroud of fuckin' Turin.

Eddie Trunk types are pretty common if you look at YouTube comments for old metal records, even somewhat underground ones. I saw a comment on Pull the Plug by Death from someone who bought Leprosy in 1988 and said that he didn't even like death metal but he still loved the Death discography from his youth, and various other comments saying that death metal isn't good anymore compared to the old school era so they don't bother listening. That doesn't contradict the Rob Zombie comment, though, since those guys are still invested in the bands of their youth, just not anything more modern.

Slipknot seem to have retained most of their fanbase given they're still huge, so while I'm sure a lot of nu metal fans have stopped listening even in that case it seems more likely that people don't actively follow the genre but still listen to the bands of their youth. Korn is a bit of a different story, though; they still exist, but their last album only got to number 8 and it seems most of their fans have faded away. Slipknot has unique longevity in nu metal for some reason or other.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:52 am 

Nice, my job made it on the national news, farmers blocked entry to the areal with 200 tractors the entire night to protest against dumping prices for food that damage their livelihoods.

Timeghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Nice, my job made it on the national news, farmers blocked entry to the areal with 200 tractors the entire night to protest against dumping prices for food that damage their livelihoods.
That's pretty impressive. Good luck.

Spoiler: show

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 pm 

Well I reckon if Macron hadn't blocked the free trade deal with Mercosur half of them wouldn't be farmers anymore already.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:49 pm 

Just wanted to let everyone know that many of my posts contain ULTIMATE LOGIC. This substance is powerful, but dangerous. Please be careful!

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:10 pm 

Ultimate logic? Does that differ from common logic?

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm 

I think it's a shorter way of saying double secret logic.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:37 pm 

And here I am stuck with penultimate logic. Guess I'll just go fuck myself.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:13 am 

Anyone been to a show recently where you went in with zero expectations of a good show and ended up being blown away? This post is a couple weeks late, but I just got back from this years 70,000 Tons of Metal.

I'm still in shock how out of all the bands I saw that fucking Wintersun was the best set on the boat. Not even a fan at all, and I still can't stand Jari for all of his diva bullshit, but holy fuck I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of the best metal shows I've ever seen.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:44 am 

Not recently, but i couldn't get at all Negura Bunget until i saw them live during a festival

My friends and i were about to leave for dinner, but after few seconds we were all awestruck. Pizza could wait, that time.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 am 

Mellifleur wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that many of my posts contain ULTIMATE LOGIC. This substance is powerful, but dangerous. Please be careful!

Opus wrote:

Earthcubed wrote:

Wilytank wrote:

With these back and forths, how am I the first one to say "CRYSTAL LOGIC"? I'm not even much of a Manilla Road fan. :lol:

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Mellifleur wrote:

Opus wrote:

Earthcubed wrote:

Wilytank wrote:

With these back and forths, how am I the first one to say "CRYSTAL LOGIC"? I'm not even much of a Manilla Road fan. :lol:

Less logic, more meth please.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 pm 

I recommend all four seasons of Ultimate Spider-Man for a decent understanding of what makes something ultimate.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 am 

Nirvana for Godflesh fans:

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 am 

Maybe this thread is not the place to ask this question but to hell with it:

The Archives show that there is a CD jewelcase version of Tribulation's "The Children of the Night" that has both of the bonus tracks present on the mediabook edition. Supposedly it is an European pressing. Did any of you fine folks see this or maybe own that edition? I have not seen it anywhere - maybe the Archives are just mistaken?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:16 am 

I'm kinda surprised that it took this long for Red Lamb to show up on the Archives, but that probably has more to do with people forgetting that it was even a thing. Listening to it now and it hasn't exactly aged well.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am 

Zdan wrote:
CD jewelcase version of Tribulation's "The Children of the Night" that has both of the bonus tracks present on the mediabook edition.

Well, it's not on discogs.
That particular version was added by an user whose only other modification (new version added) is nowhere to be found. So, don't raise your hopes too much...

my trade list

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm 

I listened to five Immolation albums at work today - Dawn of Possession, Harnessing Ruin, Majesty and Decay, Shadows in the Light, and Unholy Cult.

Safe to say I'm on a bit of an Immolation bender.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm 

Growing my hair long once again, almost got it down to my shoulders. Feels great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm 

I've been listening to Ironsword and also Depeche Mode and Cigarettes After Sex today, so it's been a varied kind of day. The new Marco Hietala solo album has also been unable to be pried from my listening habits.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Growing my hair long once again, almost got it down to my shoulders. Feels great.

Shaved my head again last night (usually twice a week). Smooth as ice. Feels great. :-D

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 am 

Unless I start to go bald all of a sudden I am never ever shaving my long mane of hair. No way.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:22 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Unless I start to go bald all of a sudden I am never ever shaving my long mane of hair. No way.

Hair started thinning. Decided to just own it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:26 pm 

I used to have hair down to my butt, but I shaved and donated it in 09. Since then I've just come to accept that I don't have the patience to grow it long ever again. I didn't take care of it back then, so I do now, but it turns out it's a pain in the ass and I'm super lazy and would rather just keep it short. I'm genuinely trying again and the back of it touches my collar now but I don't think it'll last longer than another month or so.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:27 pm 

I feel fornutante that I still have a full head of hair into my third decade of existence. Let's hope it stays that way..... :oh shit:

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm 

Only one person in my ancestry, to my knowledge, has ever gone bald, and he didn't start losing his hair until he was in his 70s. So I've got basically the rest of my life to try for long hair again and maybe that's why I'm not obsessing over it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:36 pm 

I can tell my hair's definitely started thinning already. If the whole matrilineal thing is true - I only have two direct male relatives on my mom's side of the family, my grandpa who went bald around the same age, and my uncle who has nearly shoulder-length hair in his 70s. Fingers crossed for the latter, but I'm starting to lose confidence. :grumble:
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:43 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Totally understandable. I would do that too if that happened to me.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm 

I grew my hair long for the second time over the last couple years and then cut it all off a few months back. Finally just accepted that my hair's really thin and strandy and was just clearly never meant to be grown out. It also grows so fucking slowly - took me about three years to get it chest-length, so yeah, fuck it. I sometimes miss headbanging at shows but otherwise don't regret it for a second.

Last edited by Razakel on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:45 pm 

I could never grow long hair and my hairline recedes pretty badly, so I just own up to the baldness. My partner got me a nice razor set for Christmas so I've gotten the head shaves to a consistent regiment.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 pm 

All your hair migrated to your chin.

PS: Please god trim your beard you look like a broom

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:20 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Totally understandable. I would do that too if that happened to me.

My youth was spent with longer hair. Granted, in my very youth, it was a mullet, but it was the 80's and MacGyver was cool. I had shoulder-length hair twice in my twenties.

So I had my moment at least.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:25 pm 

Most of my teenage and university years (up to now actually) were spent with very long hair. I always loved it that way. Just feels natural to me.

Luvers666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:49 pm 

My hair, by the age of 18, reached to five inches past my waist. My hair now has not only stayed away from grey or thinning but I also keep it long. It only reaches halfway down my back now. I will never cut it short.

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 pm 

Osmose wrote:
Osmose Productions in cooperation with Blooddawn Productions are proud to present the reissue of Marduk’s classic live album Germania! Recorded back in 1996 and being one if [not] the first extreme metal live album being done!

This kind of shit really pisses me off for some reason. Live in Leipzig, hello?!

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:50 am 

OK, so basically all I'm trying to figure out is: Does anybody on this board enjoy music like: Comethazine, $uicide Boy$, Tay-K, Bones, Ghostmane, and other shit of that ilk, because I've recently become acquainted with this type of stuff, and against all odds, have become an actual fan of it. I assume it's probably not too popular around these parts, but someone has to like it right?

Not really how many kvlt points I've given up, but I'm guessing it's probably at least a handful.

Perhaps.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236  Next