Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 pm 

Has anyone here ever heard the demo Morbid Portrait by Enmity? It's their first demo and I can't find it anywhere, nothing on YouTube, never sold on Discogs, no blogspots or anything. It's probably not a very special release but I'm just curious as to what it sounds like.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:07 am 

I got a hair up my ass to read all three threads pertaining to Decapitated's arrest, charging, and eventual acquittal for rape from several years ago. Dear god, every single one of those threads turned into complete dumpster fires in the worst way possible. So many people getting banned for sexist "BuT wOmEn LiE aBoUt RaPe AlL tHe TiMe!" bullshit.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 am 

Subrick wrote:
I got a hair up my ass to read all three threads pertaining to Decapitated's arrest, charging, and eventual acquittal for rape from several years ago. Dear god, every single one of those threads turned into complete dumpster fires in the worst way possible. So many people getting banned for sexist "BuT wOmEn LiE aBoUt RaPe AlL tHe TiMe!" bullshit.

It was easy to take the other side in things like that when the opposition comments were such awful bullshit.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 am 

There's literally a guy at the end of the first thread who devolves into incel ranting about how everyone else in the UK except white men get away with crimes because the police force was overly feminized. I'm sure he would've blathered on about how nice guys like him don't get girlfriends because girls only like assholes had he not gotten the boot.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 am 

I just had someone message me on LastFM to go check out his band. He sent me one of those "Hey bro, I was looking at what you listen to, and you'll probably like our band because we sound EXACTLY like what you listen to!" messages. I didn't listen to anything because it was all on Spotify and I don't use Spotify, but the dude's profile mostly consisted of nu metal and hard rock with Avenged Sevenfold being his most listened to band. That's all cool, you do you, but I probably wouldn't have liked his music if that's the main influences and absolutely nothing else.

For a second though, it felt like MySpace had dug out of its grave and invaded my inbox. I haven't gotten one of those messages in years, ever since I deleted MySpace. It was a total throwback.

Reminds me of those dudes who still hand out CDs on the streets of their latest rap songs. Like, dude- I buy CD's, but it's because I'm a music nerd with a passion. Besides people like me, who actually buys CD's? And whose going to blast your CD that you handed out on the side of the street?

People are strange.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:58 am 

It was some schmuck probably copy and pasting some crap just to get listeners

because numbers are everything. Who gives a shit if people like the music?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 pm 

Yeah very true, just got to get to a point where your band is ranked higher and increase the probability of people finding your band. I still wonder how effective it is haha

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pm 

Doing an all-nighter because of work. :( I'm loaded up on caffeine, but I also have a headsplitting headache.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:01 pm 

Happy Towel Day.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 pm 

I get messaged about band reviewing requests on my socials all the time. I'll hear them out if they're nice about it or I'm just that bored, but it gets exhausting. And then it drives me into my anxiety hole as I try to figure out how to promote my own projects without being *that* guy. Just have genuine interactions with people and shell out for some decent PR so it can go to the most relevant parties.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:44 pm 

I used to get emails and messages with the same copy/paste messages about checking out bands all the time, especially when I was promoting my own reviews on my Facebook. Oftentimes they were from the same people who sent the same messages every single time. A combination of ignoring those people and outright saying that people need to stop sending me those kinds of messages finally got them to stop. The few DMs I do get like that nowadays are automatically sent to my spam folder.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 am 

My stupid thought of the day: why is palate called the "roof of one's mouth", since it topologically is the inner surface of the top of the mouth, and should therefore be called "ceiling" instead?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 am 

There are people, generally Americans, mostly people who are offended that the Sears Tower (Willis Tower) was overtaken by buildings in developing countries, who claim that the real roof is the ceiling of the highest floor and a building is only as tall as the ceiling of the highest floor because anything above their definition of "the roof" is not part of the building.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:21 pm 

Funny because, as an Illinoisan, I have a distinct memory of the spires on top of the Sears Tower being added purely to get the record back at one point.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:21 pm 

They did, they said it in the elevator video for tourists.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am 

I've been typing up lyrics for some little-known releases recently, because I can only find them in the booklet and not online. If I have to type another Swedish song, I'm gonna scratch those little å ä ö symbols through the screen of my laptop. Wish my keyboards had accents and stuff.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I've been typing up lyrics for some little-known releases recently, because I can only find them in the booklet and not online. If I have to type another Swedish song, I'm gonna scratch those little å ä ö symbols through the screen of my laptop. Wish my keyboards had accents and stuff.
In my country everyone has English keyboards. When I started typing on my computer, I used stickers to mark the buttons where are čćšđž and љзчћшђж. I now don't need them and run smoothly from English to Serbian Cyrillic and Serbian Latin. However, when I switch to Russian, letters are completely messed up (if I press K, I get Л, which is L). I've heard that you can change the arrangement of letters, but I've never looked for that because I'm done with Russian.

Edit: when you switch to Swedish keyboard (Control panel > Change keyboards > Add... > select Swedish, confirm, and select it on your status bar),
ö is on this button :;,
ä on this ,''
å on this [{.
Because some buttons are occupied, you type ; and : by clicking Shift + , (comma button) and Shift + . (dot), respectively. You insert brackets like this: shift+ 8* button gives you ( and shift + 9( button gives you ). These shortcuts are the same when I'm using Serbian keyboards, so I'm used to them.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:33 pm 

On the topic of keyboard layouts, any fellow Dvorak users here? (or any other layout more efficient than qwerty for that matter)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:48 pm 

I tried to learn Dvorak once but then I decided that typing 2% faster was for nerds and the inefficiency of qwerty is so minuscule that the only reason anybody in America would switch would be to brag about it.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:17 pm 

I mean, you're kinda right, though I must say that the positive effect it had on my wrists was quite big. When I had just learned to touch-type with qwerty I got really into practicing to get faster and faster using a bunch of websites. Not because I actually needed to get faster, just because it was actually a kind of fun hobby. However, once I broke the 100 wpm barrier with qwerty my wrists started hurting quite bad and I had a feeling that if I were to continue, I'd develop RSI. So I found out about Dvorak and switched to it cold-turkey (apparently that's the expression to use), which was absolute mental torture. Fast-forward like 2 months though and I'm back at 100 wpm with barely any pain in my wrists. Fast-forward another year and I hit a plateau of 160wpm bursts and 120wpm over prolongued periods of time. Haven't practiced since then because my wrists were starting to hurt again, though I can still type at those speeds as it's something you don't really unlearn.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 am 

Thanks to Osore for the recommendation. If I buy or find any more unknown Swedish grindcore, I'll be sure to have a try.

For those of you talking about speed typing above, I've always been perplexed by this question. What do you write at 120/160wpm? If I'm copying something, I'll rarely get that flow going because I'll be checking carefully and pausing, while if I'm writing what I'm thinking (with grammar and word choice as a priority) I can't just drop sentences like that. Like, do you think that fast in logical sentences?

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:38 am 

Just noticed that yesterday was my 10 year anniversary of using MA. Sweet!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Thanks to Osore for the recommendation. If I buy or find any more unknown Swedish grindcore, I'll be sure to have a try.

For those of you talking about speed typing above, I've always been perplexed by this question. What do you write at 120/160wpm? If I'm copying something, I'll rarely get that flow going because I'll be checking carefully and pausing, while if I'm writing what I'm thinking (with grammar and word choice as a priority) I can't just drop sentences like that. Like, do you think that fast in logical sentences?

Probably the greatest use of speed typing is transcribing hardcopies to softcopies.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 pm 

With the 120/160 wpm I'm only referring to copying (since I used sites like typeracer.com where you just type a given text). There's no way my brain can actually generate sentences on its own at that speed.

Also, unrelated but I didn't know how much I needed EDM guitar covers in my life: https://youtu.be/WoMn5GlrwKU?t=39

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:13 am 

Christo has died:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/31/christo-artist-who-wrapped-the-reichstag-dies-aged-84
He did some daring stuff. The wrapping of the Reichstag was great as well as the Floating Piers on Lake Iseo

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:35 am 

Metal Archives gets linked in the biggest newspaper in Finland:

https://www.hs.fi/nyt/art-2000006525936.html

The article is on the video on metal albums per capita of different nations over the years. Someone made based on the data on MA.

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 pm 

This might be a bit silly but it's fucking hilarious at the same time: https://youtu.be/g-GvoR03EEM?t=140

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:51 pm 

Later in the evening
As you lie awake in shit
With the echoes from the shitlifiers
Shitin' in your head
You smoke the day's last shitarette,
Rememberin' what she said :wanker:

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 am 

Napero wrote:

The article is on the video on metal albums per capita of different nations over the years. Someone made based on the data on MA.

Only in Finland, eh? It's not a big surprise who ranks top, but where the hell is the UK? Disappointed.

Also, are CoB, HIM, and Lordi household names in Finland? I know we don't particularly consider the latter two metal, but perhaps they fit into the statistics there somehow.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Also, are CoB, HIM, and Lordi household names in Finland? I know we don't particularly consider the latter two metal, but perhaps they fit into the statistics there somehow.

Yeah, a little over 15 years ago, they were. Lordi much less so, but... back when you'd get these paper ads with lists of ringtones you could order by SMS, Lordi was there. I consider that a good benchmark of popularity in that era. :lol:

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 am 

Played rollercoaster tycoon until 1AM last night. Partying like it's 2002 :lol:

Now I have to work, and my brain is still planning clever tunnelling coasters !

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am 

Methuen wrote:

Man it's been years since I've played that game. I used to love it. Glad to hear you've had a good time with it. :)

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:22 pm 

Napero wrote:

That's cool. I remember the guys on That Metal Show on VH1 Classic, saying they all came here. Supposedly they were all members. Like for ten seconds that show was really big, so I thought that was pretty cool.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:53 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Methuen wrote:

Man it's been years since I've played that game. I used to love it. Glad to hear you've had a good time with it. :)

I should have stayed with it - today I've spent the entire morning troubleshooting a sharepoint workflow problem, after much shouting from loud people. Turned out that the user just entered bad values in some fields and broke the thing. PBCK - Problem Between Chair & Keyboard.

:lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:35 pm 

Hahah I've never seen the PBCK but when I worked IT with my uncle he thought it was the funniest thing IN THE WORLD to label something an ID-10-T error. He accidentally wrote it on paperwork that got back to a customer and they cracked his code if you can believe that.

The ass-chewing he received over the phone was super satisfying because he was an emotionally abusive boss.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm 

I'm fuming after having read this

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/06/05/w ... ial-media/

That's some vile, toxic shit right there.

Luvers666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:24 pm 

matras wrote:
I'm fuming after having read this

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/06/05/w ... ial-media/

That's some vile, toxic shit right there.
You know you are behind the times when a Death Metal/Grindcore band like Exhumed, who willingly puts forth lyrics about sex with dead bodies, murder and the gore-filled aftermath are more understanding and thoughtful than you are.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 pm 

Yeah I read their post yesterday. It's awesome

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:00 pm 

So I just uploaded an album to my YouTube channel, and the video currently has 3 views yet it has a comment by some odd YouTube channel with 151k subs yet no videos...
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU7_5G ... LDiGm4k5vQ
Can anyone enlighten me? I'm kinda confused.

Edit: the name of the channel changed from "Timmy" to "Fredericka" literally a minute or so ago

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:30 pm 

I'm not gonna say it in the George Floyd thread, and I won't engage anyone in further discussion of this beyond this post, but I have to say that Sedition and Pockets saying that Soviet Jews deserved the treatment they received is one of the most sickening, disgusting things I've ever read in my life. A supposed leftist spouting Nazi talking points in the name of being a tankie is no ally, and Sedition is a fake ass fucking poser.

I just needed to get it off my chest, because that post got my blood boiling. Everyone return to your regular random posting.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 251  Next