Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:29 am 

I put world in quotes because this is often used in an insensitive way to say "non western music", with western music being called "folk music" (fuck the neolibs). I like the term though instead of traditional music, because what's "traditional" is ever changing. I think you know what I'm talking about though- music that has cultural heritage to specific parts of the world, from anywhere. Got any you've found over the years and enjoy? Share and give a brief overview!

Here's a few:
Bulgarian Bagpipe Music
This video is pretty incredible in that it showcases 333 bagpipe players playing the song "Rodopi gaida suita", which is a traditional Bulgarian song I believe from the Rhodope mountains. I absolutely love their take on bagpipe playing, the song itself is incredibly beautiful.

Taraf De Haidouks
These guys are from Romania, and man- they fucking slay their instruments. There's not a single dude in this video that isn't a straight A boss musician, everyone rips their solos, everyone plays with feeling. I think I saw this about 6 years ago and haven't ever found anyone this good in this style. I guess this would be considered balkan music.

Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir
This is an incredible recording of Gyuto Monks from Tibet doing their thing. The mix is absolutely incredible here, it's super relaxing.

Last edited by Unorthodox on Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:54 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir
This is an incredible recording of Gyuto Monks from Tibet doing their thing. The mix is absolutely incredible here, it's super relaxing.

This is really cool. Maybe bandcamp has something of the sort ...

Kongar-ol Ondar - Echoes of Tuva
https://kongar-olondar.bandcamp.com/album/echoes-of-tuva
Kongar-ol Ondar was a master of throat singing and on this album you get an impression of the magic that this kind of music is able to create. Sadly, he died way too young.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:44 am 

While it probably doesn't count under a strict 'world' music banner, the monastic tradition of chant & sung Latin masses is something that never fails to move me to a slightly different place. It's also now just as alien as Tibetan throat-singing, to the average Westerner.

I've done a bit of study on sacral music, and one amazing bit of context is that the polyphonic stuff is a direct descendant of musical forms of Ancient Greece, Rome, and the Byzantine Empire - you're hearing music of a type that otherwise wouldn't exist, because we can never replicate music precisely from notes or anecdote.

Te Deum -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwV9l-U8ds

Gregorian - pretty unusual to see a video of it, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBwh1OXw6uI

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am 

During my travels I was fortunate enough to see Taraf de Haidouks live in 2007 I think. Absolute masters at their instruments and so much fun.

When it comes to music, my second passion is absolutely “world” music. I could ramble on indefinitely with recommendations but I wont.

Some amazing flamenco chill. Pokito a Poko was lightning in a bottle.
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=NvhZu5M41Z8

Gypsy/Balkan folk. If feeling happy was a song, this would be it
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=CAzrOF8E28w

A bit dark and haunting Turkish brass infused with mild electronica
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=KiEDWZp4g48

A blend of Scandinavian folk with rock and jazz elements
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=T0-0n50rzpw

Egyptian drum rhythms
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=lwE7EAPICd0

Edit to add one more. A colleague once told me this type of music and the images in the video was "dangerous" and shouldnt be "allowed"...Ha! Ill leave up to you to decide. Its simple folk from the Faroe Islands with a stunning vocalist.
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=wsl-KHGe4Kk

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:29 pm 

I'm afraid to listen to what you shared because I don't like traditional music. You can search for ''etno muzika'', ''Bilja Krstić'' and ''gusle'' if you want something from Serbian heritage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusle Sounds awful to me, although the poetry is good. You have been warned. :-P

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 pm 

light in babylon have some good songs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCddWNK ... 9YvswbmBUw

if you like electronic music this is a great album.

'trip to the andes'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVxwK4wZu0
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Trip-To ... ase/641948

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:20 pm 

OH. OH. OH. Now you're speaking my LANGUAGE. I'm not completely talking about what is classified as "world music" here, rather anything that isn't popular western music. I'm a big fan of lots of genres. Most of this stuff won't be on bandcamp as it's pretty old, but everything I've posted is available on Spotify.

Two of my favourite "non-western music" genres are classic Mariachi music and Neapolitan (Italian).
ITALY
I am of Italian heritage, so I love old Italian music my grandparents used to play around the house. Some favourite artists are Peppino di Capri (his song Roberta is absolutely beautiful), Renato Carosone is fantastic Italian swing music. Sergio Endrigo has some beautiful songs as well.

FRANCE
Also a big fan of Chanson, and my favourite isn't the popular pick (Serge Gainsbourg). Joe Dassin is the one for me. I got hooked on his music will travelling in France in 2013. His 1969 album "Les Champs-Elysees" is so much fun.

CARRIBEAN/LATIN/SOUTH AMERICAN
I love Cuban music (or any Carribean music, save for Calypso, which I haven't been able to jive with). Buena Vista Social Club really is the best of the best. De Camino a La Vereda is a great summertime jam.
Ze Keti is probably the best Brazilian samba musician ever. A Voz do Morro is a great song to enjoy a drink, late at night.

There is some great folk music from Latin and South America as well.
Victor Jara (Chile) - Manifesto
Mercedes Sosa (Argentina) - Solo Le Pido A Dios
Chavela Vargas (Panama) - Cartas Marcadas

I'm really into regional classical music, but Hungarian seems to be an off-beat favourite. Rezso Seress has composed some of the saddest songs in the world, namely "Szomoru Vasarnap or Gloomy Sunday, which is considered to be The Hungarian Suicide Song. More about that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

I love the album Sexwitch (the main girl behind Bat Of Lashes) put out a few years ago of folk songs from Morocco and Thailand. Absolutely worth checking out.

I've tried getting into some Juju music from Africa, but besides King Sunny Ade from Nigeria I haven't found anything I love yet.

Travelling around Germany and Austria gave me an affinity for Bavarian and folk music from the area. I haven't been able to find specific artists by name, but any of the times I've been to those countries, just spending time in pubs and beer halls, you can hear all kinds of great regional music. Same with my vacation to Ireland. I always thought I disliked Celtic music, but it turns out I enjoy it.

ONE THING I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR SINCE 2017, AND I KNOW IT'S A LONG SHOT:
When travelling in Slovenia, I had a tour guide sing what he referred to as "A Slovenian love song from the Carniola region. He sang it a cappella inside the Postojna Cave, and with the nature reverb, and his supreme voice, it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. I wish I would have filmed it with my iPhone. If anyone reading this is from Slovenia and would even have the slightest guess of where to start to look for that, HIT ME UP.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:55 am 

One of my favorite musicians and my favorite pianist is Aziza Mustafa Zadeh from Azerbaijan. She blends a style of music called mugam, an improvisational artform created by her father, Vagif Mustafa Zadeh, with jazz and classical, creating a rich tapestry of sonic textures. Her work spans the gauntlet from solo piano to small ensembles with percussion to jazz combos to operatic vocal pieces. Given her artistry and collaborations with some high-profile names in jazz (Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Omar Hakim, Bill Evans, Dave Weckl, John Patitucci and others), she really should be legendary.

Spoiler: show

I listen to a lot of Indian music, particularly Hindustani classical. I was fortunate to see Ravi Shankar before he passed and it was one of my favorite concert experiences.

One of my favorite vocalists is Sheila Chandra, with one of the most intoxicating vocal timbres I've ever heard. Interestingly she also has a small part on the soundtrack for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. One of the most tragic happenings in recent memory was that she developed a throat condition which rendered her unable to sing anymore, and sadly, one of the most beautiful voices on the planet has been silenced. But her music should continue to shine brightly.

Additionally, I like fusions of Indian music with western music, such as Shakti with John McLaughlin.

A lot of people are somewhat familiar with Bob Marley, but unaware of how much great Jamaican reggae there is out there that goes under the radar. I love the flavors of a lot of roots reggae especially, notably Black Uhuru, Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Steel Pulse and others.

I really like the sound of the oud as used in Arabic chamber jazz like Anouar Brahem. Ignore the video and just listen to the richness of the tone of this instrument.

Flamenco players like Paco de Lucia are truly amazing. Anyone who appreciates the guitar must check out these enthralling sounds.

There are so many more, but maybe at a later time.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Fri May 15, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:27 am 

I actually really dislike Bob Marley, but I do enjoy Jimmy Cliff (Trapped is such a fantastic song), and some Peter Tosh. It took me forever to come around on the genre, because of my dislike for Bob Marley from a young age.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:35 am 

What do you not like about him?

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:27 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
What do you not like about him?

I truly don't even know! I can't explain it. You know sometimes you just cannot explain why you don't like something? The one song I've heard that I kind of don't mind is "Could You be Loved". I don't know if it was all the stigma attached to him and being synonymous with marijuana? I know I really dislike "Redemption Song" and "Buffalo Soldier".

LithoJazzoSphere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:55 pm 

I used to wear a shirt or hoodie for him back in college occasionally, and I didn't think much about it at the time, but in retrospect I almost wonder if some people interpreted it as a "I do/deal drugs" sign. I also had a Peter Tosh one and every now and then someone would comment "cool Bob Marley shirt!" and I'd have to mentally face-palm. I should go up to someone at a metal show with a Rust In Peace shirt and yell "fuck yeah Slayer!" for kicks sometime.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:23 pm 

I listen to a lot of "world" music I guess but im not really comfortable with the term to be honest. I prefer using the term folk music personally. Has less of a colonialist vibe in my opinion.

Anyway I mostly listen to middle eastern and related music but sometimes listen to other things as well.
some of my faves:

From Turkey Neşet Ertaş

or from Lebanon Rabih Abou-Khalil

Yatkha from Tuva

Lankum from Ireland

LithoJazzoSphere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:08 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
I listen to a lot of "world" music I guess but im not really comfortable with the term to be honest. I prefer using the term folk music personally. Has less of a colonialist vibe in my opinion.

The problem is if you use that term here they just assume you mean Arlo Guthrie, James Taylor, and stuff like that. I don't know if the term "non-western music" is any more palatable, but I guess to some people the entire issue is the western-centeredness of it. It's not really different than saying "non-metal" when around metalheads though. Maybe "global folk music?"

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Sat May 16, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:05 pm 

Yeah that's basically what I wanted to avoid, but I fully agree that's it's got a bit of colonialist vibes to it. Oh well.

Thanks for the posts everyone, you're all giving some really awesome music to check out!

LithoJazzoSphere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:22 pm 

Although, thinking about it slightly more, even my last term doesn't really work either, because it's not all folk music. Hindustani classical music, for example, is definitely not folk music. Maybe most of my own examples in my earlier post aren't, actually. I suppose there just isn't any great umbrella term that's universally acceptable. I guess now I sort of wonder what do people in some of those areas refer to our rock, pop music and such as.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am 

i know what folk music usually is associated with in the US, in the rest of the world that isnt as much of a thing. Hence why folk metal doesnt refer to bands that mix bob dylan with metal.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:03 pm 

In my country we just call it "etno" or "ethno" music, and it can refer to either folk music from our country or from elsewhere. I think it encompasses that genre nicely enough without the colonial connotations.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:05 pm 

I agree with Osore that gusle are just terrible. With that said, here's some examples of traditional music from this region:

Rasti, rasti (Serbia)

A što ti je mila kćeri (Serbia)

Zvira voda (Croatia) Not sure if this falls under ethno category, but still pretty cool.

Zajdi zajdi (Macedonia)

Pilentse pee (Bulgaria)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:15 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i know what folk music usually is associated with in the US, in the rest of the world that isnt as much of a thing. Hence why folk metal doesnt refer to bands that mix bob dylan with metal.

Another possible explanation for why folk metal doesn't refer to those bands is that those bands don't exist, aren't there to be referred to.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 pm 

Though not made by Aboriginal Australians, I do like Steve Roach's tribal ambient opus Dreamtime Return a lot which is heavily inspired by his own trip to Australia studying Aboriginal sites.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 am 

BloodMoonRising wrote:
Zvira voda (Croatia) Not sure if this falls under ethno category, but still pretty cool.
Although I'm not into those yodeling parts, this actually has style. Josipa is a fashion icon anyway, and I love their gothic choices here. Was this guy ever into rock or metal? He's always dressed as a goth, but his face and voice don't complement.
I have no idea if this was intentional. :lol:

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:13 pm 

Does stuff like Niyaz count?

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 pm 

Dembo wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Another possible explanation for why folk metal doesn't refer to those bands is that those bands don't exist, aren't there to be referred to.

I wish they did. I'd love to hear some metal with the lyrical content of Dylan, Springsteen, Jackson Browne, etc.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:13 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

The problem is if you use that term here they just assume you mean Arlo Guthrie, James Taylor, and stuff like that. I don't know if the term "non-western music" is any more palatable, but I guess to some people the entire issue is the western-centeredness of it. It's not really different than saying "non-metal" when around metalheads though. Maybe "global folk music?"

Look for 'World Music' for that sign in a record shop, and you're getting something that generally isn't one of the following:

Classical, Rock / Pop, Punk, Metal, R&B, Rap, Electronic, Reggae, Jazz, most Folk / Country, a good chunk of film-score music. Keep in mind that those are all genres that are absolutely global, full of cross-cultural influences.

What isn't global is unique clarinet-bothering Francophone African musicians - one could have a marketing term for them & for every genre covered by 'world' music, but then this site demonstrates how impractical that would be. I can't imagine it'd help sales for a start.

Given the breadth of what isn't generally considered 'world' music, worrying about 'colonialism' inherent in the term is a bit unnecessary :) (I absolutely caveat that statement in sure knowledge that a tiny SubReddit exists dedicated to exposing the oppression caused by the use of the term.)

Now, someone that should have a word with themselves is the chief at Carrefour - their wine selection goes through all of the French booze regions (Loire, Calvados, Burgundy, Champagne, Languedoc, Provence, etc.), and then has a dusty two / three shelves at the back for the rest of the world. This is labelled 'vins etrangers' :lol:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 pm 

Osore wrote:
I have no idea if this was intentional. :lol:

Maybe for the President it was, but for Josipa? That's just Josipa being Josipa no doubt! :P

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:26 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Does stuff like Niyaz count?

I was thinking about posting them, but kind of hesitated seeing how they're from LA and Montreal. That said though, I absolutely love their music, so I'm glad you decided to post them haha. I sometimes listen to this in the car when it's 100+ outside, perfect music for that.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:24 pm 

@Osore I dont know whether he was into either rock or metal (or at least to the point of it influencing his image), and it doesnt seem impossible, but I always interpreted that outfit of his as modern traditional, which is his whole musical style. No idea about the haircut though... He's a weird mix for sure.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:55 pm 

^ "Modern traditional" sounds right. It's like an alternate reality look - how traditional clothing would be remembered if we were never christianised, but worshipped Morana for centuries.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 pm 

He is also a devout Christian, from what I understand :lol:

Case in point

sonero9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 pm 

Los Cuates de Sinaloa (México)

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 pm 

That lead guitarist/singer is clearly a metalhead just by the way he carries himself. And his intense guitar picking, but that might be because he's using a 12 string acoustic I'm not sure.

OlroxPhase2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm 

Love this thread! So many good music posted here.
My time to contribute.

Let's start with this classic of Amazigh melancholic music:

The female vocals on this are soul shattering. Too bad I could never find the name of that singer.

Now for an old Egyptian epic:

I love the care with which the instrumental parts of these old Egyptian songs are composed. This one is an example of this.

And lastly, I'll end with this:

Warning: there is cutting and other extreme behavior later on in the video

This is Issawa/Hadra music from Morocco. This particular clip is from a "Lila" (night ceremony) which is held to summon Jinn (Hamdouchia in the case of this video). I absolutely love this music though its charm is in actually being there. The atmosphere is simply out of this world. People are losing their minds, going into seizures, catting themselves, drinking boiling water.

Reply to topic