Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 pm 

I'm in the process of converting my CD collection to FLAC files (for the best listening experience).

At roughly 600 CDs, this is going to take a long time. :eek:

Anyone else here digitize their collection into FLACs?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:34 pm 

I recommend using MusicBee, and if you want your folders to be named like this "Marduk - (1994) Opus Nocturne" use the following file naming directory in the options:

<Album Artist> - (<Year>) <Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>

Files should look like this: "01 - Intro The Appearance of Spirits of Darkness"

It's perfect if you want to sort your albums by band name and year of release.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 pm 

I did this a few years ago, after putting it off for far too long. It took several days, though was greatly aided by having two optical media drives. Now I just rip to FLAC regardless and then convert from there, so I won't have to worry about it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:57 am 

I did this right around the time I stopped purchasing CDs (late 2013). My collection of 3000 discs is now backed up in two places.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm 

How good is FLAC compared to Mp3?

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 pm 

FLAC is lossless, so just as good as the CD, but lower file size. Very good for backup, and you can convert them to mp3 or whatever else you want for transfer to a portable and such.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm 

Anyone also backup their DVD collection?

I found software to do this, and I think I'll make .ISO files to make everything identical.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 am 

Yeah, I ripped my entire collection to ALAC about 2 years ago when I was at around 200-300 CDs and have been pretty good about keeping up with ripping new purchases ever since. I have around 30 vinyl and recording them is has been on my "might do that" list for a while now.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 am 

Same, there are some vinyl and tapes that are on my to do list, but many have been there for years. I should get on that, all the cables are in place, just need to do it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:47 am 

I think it has to take an almost ShaolinLambKiller-ish amount of thickheaded fanaticism to not just download albums you already own on CD anyway instead of going through all that work because IT HAS TO BE FROM MY OWN CDS OR ELSE ITS PIRACY. But that's just my opinion and everyone should spend their days the way that makes them happy.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 am 

I used to do that years and years ago when I go my first mp3 player. I ripped them all to MP3's at 192 (because the storage on that MP3 player was tiny and could only fit about 10 albums). Then I wanted some better quality and I started to rip everything at 320 but I stopped a fourth through or so. For listening with headphones on the go 192 is good enough for me (I find the quality of the headphones are way more important). And honestly if I want lossless versions of the albums I own I download them. I just can't be bothered to rip every single CD I have.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Mugroar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm 

I have most of my CDs ripped to my Music folder on my computer also. Just shy of 100 GB worth. I may never go 100% digital only and stop buying CDs, but I gotta have my backups available!

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 am 

droneriot wrote:
I think it has to take an almost ShaolinLambKiller-ish amount of thickheaded fanaticism to not just download albums you already own on CD anyway instead of going through all that work because IT HAS TO BE FROM MY OWN CDS OR ELSE ITS PIRACY. But that's just my opinion and everyone should spend their days the way that makes them happy.

1. On a metal forum like this, you should know that a lot of stuff is so obscure that it is simply not available online anywhere.
2. The amount of insane ways some people rip a release more or less guarantees that you will run into cases where you won't find a download that satisfies whatever standard you have for your library.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 pm 

I'm thinking about it. Sucks that computers don't have CD drives now. Old what I'm going to do because I like physical media that doesn't poof on me. (Suck my cock, iTunes! I remember when I switched computers and it stole all the iTunes I fucking PAID for! 200 bucks down the toilet.)

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 pm 

RakdosWarlord wrote:
(Suck my cock, iTunes! I remember when I switched computers and it stole all the iTunes I fucking PAID for! 200 bucks down the toilet.)

Was that before you could authorize multiple computers for a single account? I remember running into a similar issue back in the day where it wanted me to wipe my ipod touch in order to hook it up to a new computer. I had to follow an article to go through all this weird surgery of registry files to trick the ipod into thinking the new computer was actually the old one. It was quite annoying as I recall.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 am 

twistedknife wrote:
Anyone else here digitize their collection into FLACs?

I did rip my CDs to Mp3@320 when storing them at the garaje.
Now, I download them in EAC-FLAC because I have scans too.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 am 

tahu157 wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:
(Suck my cock, iTunes! I remember when I switched computers and it stole all the iTunes I fucking PAID for! 200 bucks down the toilet.)

Was that before you could authorize multiple computers for a single account? I remember running into a similar issue back in the day where it wanted me to wipe my ipod touch in order to hook it up to a new computer. I had to follow an article to go through all this weird surgery of registry files to trick the ipod into thinking the new computer was actually the old one. It was quite annoying as I recall.

Yep! This was back in the 00's. My old desktop fried and there was no way to get my music back when I got a new computer. When a company cheats you out of a few hundred bucks it's best not to forgive. Plus how apple products are made to break and not fixable by normal means. If we all stopped supporting companies like this corporations would treat us right!

(I could rant for ages about apple but I won't)

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:55 pm 

I've ripped most of my CDs for my ipod but that's it. I've not deleted the rips only because it took like 2 full days to rip all of them among my actual CDs and a bunch of video game special editions that just happen to have CDs with them.

More daunting is going though my 90's CD-based game collection (mainly Sega CD, PS1, 3DO, Saturn) and seeing which of those function as CDs and doing it for those. That's actually quite a lot to go through. There's a lot that do this; Mortal Kombat Trilogy (PS1) and Eternal Champions (SCD) do this, Symphony of the Night (PS1) has a hidden track only found via that, etc. Ultimately though, I dunno if I want to spend all that time going through it all.

failed utopia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:46 pm 

These days I only do that if it's something I can't stream easily online (YouTube, Spotify, and so on). iTunes is horrible and I hate it.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:57 pm 

Unless it's some ultra-rare stuff, you can find almost everything on FLAC nowadays (thanks metal-tracker), so I can't see any reason to backup CDs

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:28 pm 

First thing I do when I get a CD in the mail is rip it. Not really sure why you would bother looking for a download when you can rip it yourself, it's not like it takes that much longer, and you can ensure that the files are to your preference. I'm a metadata/tagging nerd, though; perhaps downloading is easier for other people.

Reply to topic