Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 am 

Someone in a Facebook group I’m in asked why Americans aren’t rioting in the streets over stuff like at-will employment. As a European, the very idea of a job being able to fire you at any time, for any reason, with no warning or safety net is mind boggling to him.

The answer is simple: America is essentially a conquered people. We’ve been conquered by late-stage capitalism and those that benefit from it. The system here is deliberately set up in a way where everyone’s spirit is perpetually broken, and even if a meaningful protest action pops up, the state will send their militarized police forces in to stomp it out immediately. Most people here don’t even realize that their spirits are broken; All they’ve known their entire lives is the American system of institutionalized cruelty and societal selfishness, so to them, all this is completely normal. It’s incomprehensible for them to imagine that there just might be a better way for them and everyone, and when you present the idea to them that things could be better, they outright reject it and actively fight against it.

This is why I call America the anti-France. In France, the people will instinctively band together and fight tooth and nail for anything that will benefit them as a people and against even the slightest bit of actual government encroachment on their lives, personal security, and ability to live comfortably. In America, we fight tooth and nail AGAINST anything that would benefit everybody, such as universal healthcare, tuition-free higher education, a higher minimum wage (living wages in general), real debt protections, real protections against exploitation by landlords, or anything else that could benefit every single member of this society out of this misguided notion that if their own lives suck, then nobody else is allowed to have anything good, and if you do have any of these kind of actual freedoms and protections for yourself, no one else must be allowed to have them too because GOD FORBID that someone else be elevated even slightly closer to your own social or financial standing. Why? Well, it’s America, so they do it just to be a dick, because, as said, this country is fueled by collective selfishness and cruelty towards each other, ESPECIALLY those of a lower class than you.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am 

So Joe Biden says you're not black if you vote for Trump the same day Trump's White House flashes his bank account and routing numbers on live TV.

November shaping up real nicely. What's the chance this will be our last election?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:42 am 

You're going off the assumption that there will even be an election this year. Depending on how bad the second wave of Covid is, I can totally see Trump suspending or outright cancelling the election.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 pm 

He literally does not have that authority

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm 

Has that stopped him from doing literally any of the blatantly illegal stuff he's done over the last three years? Just yesterday he ordered all churches in the US to open for the weekend despite not having the authority to do so. He clearly gives no shits whether or not he has the authority to do something, and presuming that he'll willingly bind himself to the Constitution when he's never once cared about the Constitution is a step towards allowing him to become the autocrat he desperately wants to be.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 pm 

I'm not saying he won't try to do it or make an attempt at getting it to happen, I'm saying he has to get the approval of Congress AND to suspend the 20th Amendment, all in one fell swoop.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm 

Talk of Trump postponing or canceling the election is just hysteria. He can't do it and frankly I don't even see him trying. Maybe a tweet or two threatening it that subsequently gets buried in an avalanche of everybody around him telling him to shut up.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm 

I could see, especially if
I) There's not a nationwide extension of mail in voting and
II) Covid 19 is still a lingering threat by November

Trump winning simply because liberals don't risk going to the polls to vote. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it is a cause for concern.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Talk of Trump postponing or canceling the election is just hysteria. He can't do it and frankly I don't even see him trying. Maybe a tweet or two threatening it that subsequently gets buried in an avalanche of everybody around him telling him to shut up.

Yeah, I don't see it either. The States hold the election, so basically, if he rage-tweets that the election is canceled, blue states won't follow him and will hold elections, and red states that follow him just means he won't get their electoral vote. And even if eh finds a way to cancel it, it means that in 2021, he will lose the presidency, and then it goes automatically to the next in order. Someone detailed the process elsewhere, and basically it'd likely means handing over the presidency to a Democrat. The only way it doesn't end like either of those scenarios is a blatant power-grab, but I don't think he has the brains nor the balls to do it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 pm 

Yeah I fully understand Subrick's sentiment but for some things there's just a couple legal barriers too many.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 pm 

Let's get back to the here and now:

Spoiler: show
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:04 am 

How is it that Trump has gone through FOUR press secretaries and each one of them has been an escalating series of disastrous fuck ups? Even the one that didn't actually ever hold a press briefing while press secretary said intensely stupid shit whenever she got the chance. This new one seems to only have gotten the job because she's a blonde Republican sex kitten that sucked up and kissed ass at literally every possible opportunity, so I fully anticipate she'll be the stupidest one of them all.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:39 am 

Speaking of the here and now,

Trump's Special Presidential Envoy for Arms Control wrote:
The president has made clear that we have a tried and true practice here. We know how to win these races and we know how to spend the adversary into oblivion. If we have to, we will, but we sure would like to avoid it.

Man in charge of US nuclear nonproliferation policy, describing said policy at the moment.

The Washington Post recently reported that some members of the administration are advocating the resumption of nuclear weapons testing.

Tom Cotton is jacking off somewhere.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:55 am 

People like Omar al-Bashir are accused of crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court because their paramilitary police forces execute civilians without trial. Meanwhile in Minnesota...

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:19 pm 

Francois Duvalier wrote:
No foreigner is going to tell me what to do! If the OAS claims the right to intervene because of repressive conditions, why don't they land troops in Alabama?

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 am 

I mean, Duvalier was a horrific dictator who built a cult of personality, used death squads to butcher dissidents and political opponents (to the tune of tens of thousands), and embezzled millions of dollars in humanitarian aid to fund said death squads and enrich himself and his allies, which contributed in large part to the awful conditions suffered in Haiti today. But sure, let's pretend there's an equivalency between his regime and the United States.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:22 am 

When you read people's posts here you can read them a lot of different ways. You could read me quoting Duvalier as drawing a perfect equivalence between Duvalier and the US. Or you could look exactly one post above mine and read me as drawing a comparison between the point drone made and the point Duvalier made. If you want to get offended on behalf of... whoever, the first is the better interpretation. If you want to be amused by how completely different people can recognize the same hypocrisy for completely different reasons the second is better.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:38 am 

I don't think it's hypocrisy at all, but I also think it's kind of absurd to compare George Floyd's murder to Omar al-Bashir overseeing literal acts of genocide.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:07 am 

Donald not making friends today !

Spoiler: show

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:43 am 

Methuen wrote:
Donald not making friends today !

Yes he is, media in China and Iran are having the time of their lives.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:02 am 

I always knew Trump wanted to gas people, I was just hoping it was closer to The Klumps than the Kurds.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:51 am 

The whole thing was a demonstration of cowardice. He is doing what a coward would think a brave man would do - by beating down his opposition using excessive force. It was pretty unreal watching an Aussie cameraman get his shit punched in when the police pressed forward, too. There is so much hatred for the press.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:37 am 

I just saw that in the first polls since George Floyd, Biden has a six percent lead nationwide and comfortable leads in all swing states. The Donald is completely fucking himself with voters.

My guess is he'll do what Republicans do and rally back voters by pulling an external threat from his ass, someone in some third world country has weapons of mass destruction or whatever.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 am 

A smart move on his part would also be sending out more stimulus checks. Put his face on them, could be as low as 1000 a month, just til November. He'd be unbeatable. I just don't think he or his cohorts have the political imagination to see that as an effective way to out maneuver the dems from the left and to alleviate some of the economic pressure on the people out there rebelling.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 am 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/0 ... est-297350

Steve King, the longtime Congressman from Iowa with a sordid history of blatant racism, has finally been primaried out.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:38 am 

OMFG
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:16 am 

Subrick wrote:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/02/voters-historic-june-primary-despite-coronavirus-civil-unrest-297350

Steve King, the longtime Congressman from Iowa with a sordid history of blatant racism, has finally been primaried out.

Wow! I'm not used to wake up to such good news in 2020!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:57 pm 

Truly fascinating to watch those who expended so much energy screeching their "dems/liberals/leftists hate the military" message suddenly direct their ire towards....Mattis.

Too late on his part, and he's still holding back. But better late than never.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:11 pm 

In fairness, Mattis deserves to be hated and made fun of. This is the guy who paid people to call him "mad dog" and "warrior monk". Complete loser.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:42 pm 

Great piece on Mattis in Splinter: https://splinternews.com/hey-remember-h ... 1831256095

At least people standing up for Mattis is way better than defending fucking John Bolton.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:10 am 

Any new Biden converts around here? I still feel awful about it, but Biden will not gas protesters to carry a fucking bible. Might even phonebank for the guy.

Thanks Trump.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:54 pm 

I'm still not gonna vote for him. He vowed that nothing would fundamentally change and the only change that's gonna make a difference with the cops going full death squad at this point is fundamental change. The cops would still be gassing people and assassinating them on the streets, Biden just wouldn't publically gloat about it like Trump.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:31 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Any new Biden converts around here? I still feel awful about it, but Biden will not gas protesters to carry a fucking bible. Might even phonebank for the guy.

Thanks Trump.

I highly doubt anybody on the left who wasn't already gonna vote for Biden is going to be swayed by all this. Don't see how anybody is okay with Trump absolutely botching the response to COVID, ruining our reputation and relationships abroad, cozying up to dictators, selling out our democracy, and installing right-wing judges on federal courts (not to mention routinely lowering the collective IQ of humanity with every tweet) only to find the events of the last few days a bridge too far.

The folks who think Biden and Trump are equally bad aren't gonna change their minds.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:02 pm 

Ok, perhaps I'm being naive here. But if Trump gets voted out from the WH, do people really think he'll bow out and leave like a good sport? Like seriously. And maybe I'm imagining it, but all the cognitive dissonance I see from all the support functions in the US government just points to them feeling loyalty towards him rather than the office. I can't see how the election will end well for anyone. But the system has been rigged for a while now anyway.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:02 pm 

matras wrote:
Ok, perhaps I'm being naive here. But if Trump gets voted out from the WH, do people really think he'll bow out and leave like a good sport?

No. It will probably be the worst presidential transition in US history. The only way it wouldn't be is if Biden promises a pardon if/when Trump starts to go full Samson.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:09 pm 

Has there ever been a presidential transition that's been anything but smooth?

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 pm 

1876 got pretty spicy.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:33 pm 

Clinton-Bush is sometimes said to have been dicey too, but mostly it was just...cold. Unfriendly. Each team still understood what is at stake in a peaceful transfer of power.

Trump wouldn't understand what the phrase "peaceful transfer of power" actually signifies if you explained the concept to him a hundred times.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:31 am 

I don't think he'll try to take dictatorial powers or anything like that because inside Trump's chest beats the truest heart of a coward. I genuinely believe he does not have the guts to even attempt that transgression. He likes the celebrity of being president and he'll transition right back to being a regular celebrity. Maybe get the ball rolling on that trump tv network. Easy money.

Feel free to bring this post back up during the 1000 year trump reich, of course. :P

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:44 am 

A German news article today said that while he admires (and publicly praises) the power grabs of the likes of Putin and Xi, the plotting and scheming behind the scenes required for it is contrary to his narcissistic personality as for him everything he does needs to be as visible and widely public as possible.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 227  Next