Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Sorry, you're going to have to work really, really, reallyyyyyyy hard to get me to side with Pelosi over actual liberals.

She might not be an actual liberal but Pelosi is trying to hold onto the one part of national government her party actually controls, and AOC is out there siccing her Twitter base on the 30 members that gave them that control. Pelosi tells her why this is unhelpful, and...basically gets called a racist. AOC is way the hell out of line here. It's fine for POTUS candidates to go after each other in a primary but there's no reason for this to happen between House members.

darkeningday wrote:
stuff

I was criticizing the intraparty warfare more than anything else, but since you brought it up: "go hard left to turn out the vote" is an excellent way to crank out an additional 5 million voters in California and set records for total votes cast and still lose the Electoral College anyway. Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Virginia...these are the places the candidate will need turnout. In an electoral system where the national popular vote is irrelevant, "actually most Americans are pretty woke" is a category error.

Also, "Clinton was too moderate to win" has to be the laziest genre of 2016 political analysis. It ignores that the 2016 party platform---her platform, in other words---was arguably the most liberal in decades. It ignores that an entire generation of voters was raised to associate the name Clinton with Very Bad Things™. It ignores that she was objectively bad at campaigning (literally threw away any voter data that showed her losing--how Trumpian!), and that she chose to run this objectively bad campaign while under 5 different federal investigations. It ignores that she had the most competent HOIS in existence working against her. It ignores Comey.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm 

Goes back to one thing I will say especially these days: Do you want to be "woke" or do you want to win?

That should be ingrained in every Democrat's head right now. Obama was right, you don't need a circular firing squad. PA, MI, WI, OH are what you need to win back. then go for FL, AZ, GA. This was the mistake Clinton made in 16 focusing on what could be instead is what you have NOW, took it for granted, and allowed narrow (and I mean VERY narrow) victories in WI, MI, and PA.

So at this point. I want to win.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 am 

I dunno why people are under the impression that anyone thinks that Hillary Clinton would have won if she was more left-wing, or that she would have won if she was more centrist, or that she would have won if she had a bulletproof solution to end all war, hunger and poverty in the world, I don't see anyone claiming that ignoring the results of the primaries and picking the party's least popular politician over them would have succeeded with her changing her political messages in any way. darkeningday wasn't claiming that and I've never seen anyone claiming that.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:42 am 

I also don't know why people are under the impression that failed leadership (Pelosi) should be kept on board, but hey...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am 

Well, her fake clapping for Trump during the SOTU probably won her a couple million friends. Anything else about her aside, that was actually pretty damn funny.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:24 pm 

Establishment Dems won't win, simple as that. Dems win with high voter turnout, and having your nominee be ancient and a bastion of the old ways is a surefire way to have younger voters stay at home. Criticize them all you want, but I think there are a hell of a lot of people who see little daylight between Hilary and the GOP, and similarly little daylight between Biden and the GOP, so would rather stay home come election day. Appealing to centrists and undecideds is goddamn silly at this point - conservatives need to be appealing to Never Trump social conservatives to convince them that a Dem president would be worse, and Dem candidates need a leftward shift to bring out actual voting numbers and win.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 pm 

I'm just gawping at the supposition that massively popular left issues like support for unions, universal healthcare, a massive increase on taxes for the rich and significantly lower military budgets will only raise support in California and not the literally millions upon millions of voters goddamn everywhere, including key swing states. Or that anyone gave a shit about Hillary Clinton's website listing her "most liberal policies for a Democrat ever" rather than her rhetoric with such nuggets as "I like good billionaires, Donald Trump gives billionaires a bad name" and her history of radical centrism, favorability on Wall Street and warhawkishness.

Yes, many factors led to her unelectablity, but at the end of the day you need to ask yourself why voter turnout is so appalling among the working class (and in general) and what those numbers would look like if a party actually leaned in to popular left-wing policies.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:18 am 

Quote:
An armed man who attacked an immigration detention centre in the US city of Tacoma died after police officers opened fire, authorities say.

Police arrived at the Northwest Detention Center early on Saturday after an employee reported that a man, armed with a rifle, was throwing "incendiary devices" at the facility.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48978394

We've had a quite a few of these pieces of shit in Germany in recent years, and this is one rare occasion where I'm quite comfortable with the US cops "shoot first, ask questions later" policy.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:40 am 

droneriot wrote:
Quote:
An armed man who attacked an immigration detention centre in the US city of Tacoma died after police officers opened fire, authorities say.

Police arrived at the Northwest Detention Center early on Saturday after an employee reported that a man, armed with a rifle, was throwing "incendiary devices" at the facility.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48978394

We've had a quite a few of these pieces of shit in Germany in recent years, and this is one rare occasion where I'm quite comfortable with the US cops "shoot first, ask questions later" policy.

I mean, I'm not a fan of attempted arson, especially if his intention was to hinder the Center itself and not the immigrants being detained inside (because obviously they would all be suffocated in the fire), but I'd hardly call the dude a piece of shit. Unless of course, his intention was to kill the immigrants inside. Then he is definitely a piece of shit.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 am 

Considering the guy tried to among other things set a propane tank on fire I don't think he was concerned with people's safety.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:26 am 

The guy is most likely a piece of shit, but these guys are most certainly pieces of shit:
Quote:
GEO Group, which runs the facility, told the Associated Press that "baseless accusations" about how detainees are treated there "have led to misplaced aggression and a dangerous environment for our employees, whose safety is our top priority".

Nice to see that the definitely-not-Concentration-Camp is principally concerned with the skeleton crew staff paid on the public's dime, not the people who are often seeking legal asylum in America.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Establishment Dems won't win, simple as that. Dems win with high voter turnout, and having your nominee be ancient and a bastion of the old ways is a surefire way to have younger voters stay at home. Criticize them all you want, but I think there are a hell of a lot of people who see little daylight between Hilary and the GOP, and similarly little daylight between Biden and the GOP, so would rather stay home come election day. Appealing to centrists and undecideds is goddamn silly at this point - conservatives need to be appealing to Never Trump social conservatives to convince them that a Dem president would be worse, and Dem candidates need a leftward shift to bring out actual voting numbers and win.

All that is true, but I think what would be even more effective than a leftward shift is a shift away from the toxic elements of Trump as a person (which covers an awful lot). Pick a candidate who is his archetypal opposite, someone who projects love rather than fear, who is concerned with ethics and morality, who is actually a decent person and has beauty in them rather than ugliness.

I think a lot of people especially the young have become skeptical about both right and left, and would respond to that. That's not to say the politics isn't important, just that it won't sway as many voters than if the candidate showed them that they are a good person and not just a good politician.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:26 pm 

Donald Trump apparently told Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley that the country they were born in has a government that is "a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world", for once that's something we can agree with him on.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 pm 

Looks like the guy who singed the detention camp had a history of anti-fascist activism and that he was basically trying to suicide by cop. So no, not a piece of shit, just a sad lunatic.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:51 am 

Why I don't like political correctness and the #metoo movement:

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm 

Hey Democrats! Public Policy Polling thinks y’all could be completely missing the boat for 2020. They suggest US soccer co-captain Megan Rapinoe would beat Trump:
https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pol ... -trump-41/

:lol: but maybe don’t dismiss this too easily. Not many people could hope to outdo Teflon Donald in a shit-flinging contest, but Rapinoe seems like she could handle it.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm 

droneriot wrote:

This is pure hysteria, and if you genuinely think the #Metoo movement says "Looking at women is molestation" then you've missed the point so hard that I don't even know what to say. Genocide? Really? Give me a fucking break.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:23 pm 

Opposition to the #metoo movement at this stage truly fascinates me. Women are specifying how they prefer to be socialized with and there are men who STILL claim they can’t talk to them for whatever half-assed reason they can come up with. Like, they’re literally spelling it out for you. Is it really THAT hard to grasp?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:43 pm 

You mean I can't kiss and grope women without their consent?!

THIS IS WHAT WHITE GENOCIDE LOOKS LIKE

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:42 pm 

This segment hasn't exactly dated well in the context of the #metoo movement, but it does generally illustrate the complexity of sexual interaction and how both men and women genuinely fuck it all up for everyone. I think #metoo was a good movement, but like all movements that have ever existed in the world of twitter, it slowly tumbled down the rabbit hole of fucktardery as more and more people got behind it, at times looking like a sexualized red scare. When Aziz Ansari got put in the hot seat, that was when the movement as a whole jumped the shark. Plenty of rapey twat waffles got what they deserved though because of it. Crazy how Jeffrey Epstein escaped only until recently.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Crazy how Jeffrey Epstein escaped only until recently.

An interesting development on Epstein today. He had a Saudi passport. With a fake name. In a safe. This would be at least the 4th passport in his possession. I have...questions.

The claim that prosecutors wouldn't touch him because he "belonged to intelligence" looks pretty credible in light of today's news. In a more sane world, a billionaire pedophile friend of two US presidents and British royalty possibly being an informant and/or asset for a foreign intelligence service would be splayed out all over my social media feed instead of the dankest Area 51 memes.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:51 am 

droneriot wrote:

Kind of a bad call posting that here, Droney. That video is so full of horse shit, it's coming out of the content creator's nose. Clearly a bunch of hysterical MWA nonsense. You absolutely can talk to a woman. You just can't touch her without consent. And persisting in conversing with a woman when she's clearly not interested is not the way to get a date. Persistence, contrary to popular belief, is not actually what women want. Following her around and trying to strike up more conversation when she's essentially said "not interested" for the fourth time is pretty much harassment. It's really quite simple.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:37 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
a billionaire pedophile friend of two US presidents

I love how Trumples think that the entire American left has some sort of unfailing allegiance to Bill Clinton. No one outside of a few (admittedly very powerful) people in the DNC gives a shit about Bill Clinton, just like no one will give a shit about Donald Trump when he no longer holds the most powerful position in the world. In one of those Faustian pacts where whatever punishment Trump receives Bill Clinton receives double, I'd have no compunction pushing for 200 years in Gitmo. Hopefully they can be cell mates!
Burnyoursins wrote:
Kind of a bad call posting that here, Droney. That video is so full of horse shit, it's coming out of the content creator's nose.

That is droneriot. I'm hopeful it's satire but I'm pretty sure it's not.

In other news, is Trump genuinely trying to start a race war?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 am 

Watching these monstrously cringe-inducing videos of droneriot rant like a bonafide delusional nutcase is honestly very clarifying given his behavior around here over the past while.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm 

Okay, that explains a lot. Make that a VERY bad call.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

I think one or two of his aides looked at all the sniping and rancor between Dem leadership and the Squad over the last week, then told him this would be a good way of twisting the knife. Or more likely, they told him some general sort of criticism of the Squad would be a good way to twist the knife and this was how he interpreted it.

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Watching these monstrously cringe-inducing videos of droneriot rant like a bonafide delusional nutcase is honestly very clarifying given his behavior around here over the past while.

You'll think nutcase when you end up hogtied in the back of his van.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 pm 

Subverter wrote:
Razakel wrote:

You'll think nutcase when you end up hogtied in the back of his van.

Aliens.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:04 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I think one or two of his aides looked at all the sniping and rancor between Dem leadership and the Squad over the last week, then told him this would be a good way of twisting the knife. Or more likely, they told him some general sort of criticism of the Squad would be a good way to twist the knife and this was how he interpreted it.

Against all good reason it seems to have worked.

I just don't understand.

We're living in hell.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:08 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Kind of a bad call posting that here, Droney. That video is so full of horse shit, it's coming out of the content creator's nose. Clearly a bunch of hysterical MWA nonsense. You absolutely can talk to a woman. You just can't touch her without consent. And persisting in conversing with a woman when she's clearly not interested is not the way to get a date. Persistence, contrary to popular belief, is not actually what women want. Following her around and trying to strike up more conversation when she's essentially said "not interested" for the fourth time is pretty much harassment. It's really quite simple.

Ranting without script or notes might have confused the point about how anxiety disorders work, yes, though not to the point that idiotic baseless accusations are necessary. Anxiety disorders are not about what is actually going to happen, no arachnophone has ever been eaten by a spider, no agoraphobe has ever suffered a heart attack in a public square (maybe one or two), no one with a fear of heights has ever fallen off a bridge with a 5 feet handrail. There's a clear difference between what actually happens in the real world - in the real world no one is charge with sexual assault for talking to someone - and what public perceptions are implanted by mass media, and mass media today is social media with algorithms that reward the most clickbait content. Just look at many of our recent politicial leaders, the ones with the most outrageous claims are the ones with the highest status, one of them is president of the United States. The consequence is what I talked about with the sidelining of everyone with a perception-based mental disorder, which in our society are tens of millions, scientifically documented to be caused by their brain chemistry and not the ideological shit you want to make up to justify your ableist bigotry. Simple.

That's the thing, and a fast-growing problem. Mental instututions are already way past their capacity and all the rest of society is spiraling into a sense of dysfunction because society-wide a perception is created that people are not proper human beings. It can't be wished away, it can't be justified and it can't be solved with bigoted insults. Michael Moore already talked about media creating massive irrational fear and anxiety in people back in Bowling for Columbine and since social media took over from traditional media that's just been put on steroids on steroids.

Derigin wrote:

Aliens.

I'm keeping that.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 am 

Is your argument that people with anxiety disorders will cross sexual harassment boundaries purely by accident as the restrictions on harassment have tightened in lieu of the Me Too movement (and thus be penalized harshly just for a medical condition), or that the fear imparted by the Me Too movement will prevent these anxiety-stricken men from being able to find a companion?

I find both conclusions to be alarmist, but the former is a lot more dangerous than the latter.

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:51 am 

Derigin wrote:

Aliens.

Holy shit lol

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm 

I swear to god, the entire time I've posted on these forums I've always thought droneriot was kind of like...doing a bit. Like he was in on the joke. I am fucking shocked.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:54 pm 

That post about anxiety was a rambling word salad. There wasn't even a point about human interactions in there.

Last FM

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:02 am 

Yeah, quite frankly I have no fucking idea what he was talking about.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 pm 

Trump gonna Trump.

We are fucked.

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
We are fucked.

No we aren't, our lives are going to be just as bleak, meaningless and uneventful as the very first day he stepped foot in office.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Trump gonna Trump.

We are fucked.

On the other hand, Trump is keeping some of these women front and center of the political world, basically keeping untold attention on them.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ilhan Omar
Rashida Tlaib
Ayanna Pressley

His hateful, bigoted, overtly racist attacks are helping turn them into the most recognizable faces of the Democratic party, if not American politics at the moment.

I also quite enjoy the self-burn Trump idiotically made when the told them to go back to their "corrupt, broken, crime-infested countries", which is this fucking country, except for Ilhan--who is the only actual immigrant and has still been an American citizen longer than Melania.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:57 pm 

Subverter wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
We are fucked.

No we aren't, our lives are going to be just as bleak, meaningless and uneventful as the very first day he stepped foot in office.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/446324-barr-defends-reputation-everyone-dies

Last FM

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Video got taken down. Interesting.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 227  Next