Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:13 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
That kind of thinking is why he won in the first place.

He wasn't president for four years in the first place.

My point being, complacency and assumption that it will be so easy "the Democrats could beat him with Bill Cosby" is the hubris that allowed him to steal that office in the first place. Doesn't matter if he was President Fuckstick for four years. He still has an absurd number of dedicated drones supporting him.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Yup, already donated my $27 dollars and plan on volunteering a lot of time up to 2020.

:hail:

Same. Dear DNC, don't fuck this up again.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 am 

I'm not holding my breath.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:35 am 

Dude, he had 600k small donations with a median of $27 each in less than 48 hours. That shattered every record in the book.

At the end of the day, the DNC will honor their electorate's pick. Hey, just look at how Trump got elected!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 pm 

Mike Pence had two "please clap" moments in the same speech. Man, he looks rattled at the audience non-response here. :lol:

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/mike-pe ... 02812.html

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Mike Pence had two "please clap" moments in the same speech. Man, he looks rattled at the audience non-response here. :lol:

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/mike-pe ... 02812.html

The best part is that Jeb's original "please clap" comment was made in jest. Pence is legitimately desperate.

On behalf of Indiana, I'd once again like to apologize for his existence.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Well, I'm glad I've found one person from Indiana that doesn't like Pence. I drove through the state in 2017; and judging from the signs I saw around, most people there wholeheartedly support him.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:37 am 

For Resident_Hazard:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Well, I'm glad I've found one person from Indiana that doesn't like Pence. I drove through the state in 2017; and judging from the signs I saw around, most people there wholeheartedly support him.

What part of Indiana were you driving through? The bulk of our rural areas seemed to be for him but I saw tons of "Pence Must Go" signs here in Indianapolis from about 2013-2016. The state is very much sparse blue splotches in a sea of red. Of course, we didn't realize that Pence going would be going to the White House because sometimes the universe is a giant monkey's paw giving you the finger.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:02 am 

Monticello, I think.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:48 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Monticello, I think.

Northwest Indiana is odd. Podunk as fuck in some parts yet desperate as hell to be being seen as part of Chicago.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:42 pm 

"Thank god the Democratic majority can walk and chew gum at the same time."

Fucking Plaskett with the burn.

Last FM

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm 

"Would Mr. Trump use physical violence?" No. He would use others.

"He would hire others?" No. They're already there.

Last FM

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 pm 

Also the Florida State bar is investigating Gaetz for witness tampering.

And Roger Stone may have already violated his gag order

Last FM

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:04 pm 

Tlaib just called Meadows the fuck out.

https://twitter.com/stevemorris__/status/1100881913756176386

Last FM

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:12 pm 

Yeah, that shit with Meadows using a black woman who works for Trump as evidence that Trump isn't racist was fucking insanity. Even worse was when Tlaib called him out for it, Meadows basically threw a temper tantrum and demanded that her remarks be stricken from the record, claiming that he can't be a racist because he has family members who are people of color, and the committee head seemed to agree with him!

What a goddamn dumpster fire.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:18 am 

Meadows got binders full of black relatives.

kaoswar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 am 

alexo666 wrote:
"Thank god the Democratic majority can walk and chew gum at the same time."

Fucking Plaskett with the burn.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...they can't even make a story of colluding stick

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 pm 

I know I said I wasn't going to mindshadow about INF but I just think it's striking that a) SACEUR admits we have no plan regarding the issue (this is sort of a "duh no shit" statement given who's running the White House, but it's a 4-star saying it) and b) the White House comms shop is so disorganized they didn't even give him some boilerplate to use instead. This is almost as bad as Obama's "we don't have a Syria strategy" admission.

Cheers to the general for just being blunt about it, but god damn.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 pm 

Thought it was interesting that the Washington Post followed up on one of the things Cohen testified and it turned out that indeed Trump's schools vehemently refuse to give out anything regarding his grades.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm 

Doesn’t get much higher on the o_O meter than this! Dean of Business Administration at Rider U quits job because there’s no Chick-Fil-A on campus: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/03/06/r ... fil-a/amp/
Now as a Canadian, who’s never seen one of these restaurants, this gets me curious. How friggin’ good is their chicken?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:47 pm 

I've never been to one due to their extensive history of homophobic policy.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:04 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Doesn’t get much higher on the o_O meter than this! Dean of Business Administration at Rider U quits job because there’s no Chick-Fil-A on campus: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/03/06/r ... fil-a/amp/
Now as a Canadian, who’s never seen one of these restaurants, this gets me curious. How friggin’ good is their chicken?

I think I went, like, once while I was living in Louisiana. It was okay. Not substantially better than similar offerings at other fast food chains.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm 

It's greasy as shit and I usually feel like death after eating it. Even more than other fast food. No major loss to me once the scuzzy fundamentalist religious views of the corporate owners became known.

As a sidenote, this reminds me of how Dairy Queen is one of the few fast food chains with some ownership clause that lets individual store's owners have more control of hours/policy etc. than most franchised businesses would. I saw one up in the Michigan UP with a sign that said "CLOSED SUNDAYS - SEE YOU IN CHURCH!"

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 pm 

Chick-fil-A is not my favorite chicken place, but it is pretty tasty. The recipes and ingredients appear simple, but it is cooked well, and I like the sauce. Food is pretty subjective, but that's my take. As for quitting over it, that's nuts. No restaurant is worth that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 am 

Agreed with StainedClass's take on the place. Very simple menu items but good sauces, and the chicken always seemed juicy, cooked well, and I liked how they were battered. But as soon as the company revealed themselves for who they are, I have never been back.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:28 am 

There's a Chick-fil-A right down from the street from my house. My fiance and I have been there exactly twice when we were in a pinch for food and it wasn't possible for us to make our own stuff like we normally do. It was actually pretty good for fast food, mainly because it didn't give us that pit in your stomach feel that 99% of fast food does. That being said, I felt incredibly guilty eating there, considering how reprehensible of a company it is.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:21 am 

Chik-fil-A is good food. Not a fabulous company however. And I have friends with teenagers who work there, and they're apparently good to their employees.

Contrast with, say, Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby made waves a few years ago when they sued the Obama administration over mandatory contraceptive coverage in health insurance. Said it violated their "religious freedom". Except that their health plan always had covered contraception. They dropped it, on purpose, just to have an excuse to sue. That family is a bunch of hypocritical assholes and the worst kind of christian there is.

The Chik-fil-A family is just your regular sort of christians. Wrong about everything, but basically capable of being stupid on one hand while still being good employers on the other.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:28 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:

I don't know because Zaxby's and Gus's sell perfectly fine chicken, don't have creepy, loudmouthed fundie owners, and don't have cars backed up all the way around the building so you can get your chicken and get out in time to actually eat it when you get back to work. Every single day there are so many cars around Chick-Fil-A that you might as well go to a full-service restaurant.

If there is a Gus's in your areas, go there. By far the best chicken I've ever had, and much spicier than your usual KFC or Popeye's.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 am 

GTog wrote:
Chik-fil-A is good food. Not a fabulous company however. And I have friends with teenagers who work there, and they're apparently good to their employees.

Contrast with, say, Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby made waves a few years ago when they sued the Obama administration over mandatory contraceptive coverage in health insurance. Said it violated their "religious freedom". Except that their health plan always had covered contraception. They dropped it, on purpose, just to have an excuse to sue. That family is a bunch of hypocritical assholes and the worst kind of christian there is.

The Chik-fil-A family is just your regular sort of christians. Wrong about everything, but basically capable of being stupid on one hand while still being good employers on the other.

This is so accurate. I don't feel sorry for them because they're fabulously wealthy and can handle a little criticism, but Chik-fil-A's owners are really just a completely unremarkable Christian family that got kicked into the limelight at the exact wrong time for making unremarkable Christian family donations to some stock-standard Christian (albeit pretty shitty) groups. They weren't trying to court the proto-MAGA crowd, nor trying to shit on vulnerable communities. They were just being a boring wealthy Christian family.

Almost every complaint I heard from the employees of Chik-fil-A was about the wave of shiteating fundies who flooded the restaurants to soothe the cognitive dissonance of the country they love so so much upholding the rights of people they despise.

All that said, I've still never eaten at one and don't really plan to. Raising Cane's is way closer.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

It's not St-Hubert good, that's for sure. Wish we had more of those on this side of the river.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 am 

Finally something in this thread I can give a hot take on! Chick-Fil-A’s best menu items are the ones that don’t use chicken in the recipe. That sausage hash brown scramble burrito, with a bit of jalapeño salsa...mmmmm.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 am 

darkeningday wrote:
For Resident_Hazard:

Why is The Onion writing real, very accurate news?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 am 

GTog wrote:

The sort of good Christians who donated money to anti-gay organizations. I don't care how good the food is, I refuse to eat there.

As I said to my gay friends, "Chik-Fil-A" syncs with "Don't Be Gay" for a reason.

If it looks like a bigot and acts like a bigot and supports bigoted causes, it's a bigot.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am 

I'm hungry for chicken now.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:57 pm 

If it doesn't look like a bigot (it doesn't) or act like a bigot (doesn't either), but supports causes with a bigoted agenda, is it still a bigot? Or just your typical dumb christian who doesn't put a whole lot of thought into it?

Shit, you might as well call all Catholics pedophilia enthusiasts because they support their church. Or all Muslims terrorists, I suppose. Your brush is a little broad, there.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm 

To indulge in a little hyperbole, I think the black people who got lynched in the south were much more concerned with the tightness of the rope around their neck than with how much thought the lynch mob had put into their views on race relations.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:58 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
If it looks like a bigot and acts like a bigot and supports bigoted causes, it's a bigot.

Pretty much. It's not just a bad tweet or edgy joke here. That said, if people still want to eat there, that's fine too. Boycotts are a personal thing and just about every corporation on Earth has shitty people in them.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:48 am 

failsafeman wrote:
To indulge in a little hyperbole, I think the black people who got lynched in the south were much more concerned with the tightness of the rope around their neck than with how much thought the lynch mob had put into their views on race relations.

...aaaaaaaand now you're comparing a chicken place to a lynching. Well done.

Eat it or not, I don't care. I only want to point out that on a 1-10 shittiness scale, Chik-fil-A is a like a 3 and not really worth all the enmity.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:43 am 

GTog wrote:
If it doesn't look like a bigot (it doesn't) or act like a bigot (doesn't either), but supports causes with a bigoted agenda, is it still a bigot? Or just your typical dumb christian who doesn't put a whole lot of thought into it?

Shit, you might as well call all Catholics pedophilia enthusiasts because they support their church. Or all Muslims terrorists, I suppose. Your brush is a little broad, there.

What's the difference between a typical dumb Christian not putting thought into it and actively putting effort into supporting a bigoted agenda? I'd say putting in the actual effort. Which Chick-Fil-A did. Donating money to a "charitable" organization that is anti-gay is not something you just do by accident.

All Catholics are not pedophilia enthusiasts. But if they are giving money to a church that then uses that money to cover up the crimes, then they are accessories to, and supportive of criminal activity.

So my brush is not a little broad, here. Maybe people should be more responsible where they put their money. You can eat there if you want. But I personally will not be giving my money to an organization that will then put that money into groups who actively work against human rights. It's the same reason I do not give to the Salvation Army.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 227  Next