Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:02 pm 

Right wing terrorists are ramping up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/20/matt-shea-rightwing-messages-chat-records

Last FM

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:22 am 

Not exactly politics, but it looks like r/cringeanarchy is finally getting the boot. I'm unsure how to feel; on the one hand, Nazis and transphobes can eat a deluxe-sized bag of Jewish girl-dick. I find it incredibly hard to care about anything bad happening to these people, because they've pretty much renounced their humanity by following this path anyway. But on the other hand, I worry that the diaspora from CA (a massive, 400k strong community) could spill out into actually decent subreddits and have them shuttered too.

Any other opinions?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:28 am 

Today in the news: Trump says the reason Obama has more Twitter followers than himself is because Twitter keeps deleting his followers in an anti-conservative conspiracy. Trump says Mexican troops were threatening to fire at American troops at the border for no reason, so he's going to send armed troops to the border. Trump says Obama ordered the British intelligence service to spy on Trump after the 2016 election.

Most important thing to say to this: Paranoid schizophrenia is a serious condition and urgently requires proper treatment and care.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Not exactly politics, but it looks like r/cringeanarchy is finally getting the boot. I'm unsure how to feel; on the one hand, Nazis and transphobes can eat a deluxe-sized bag of Jewish girl-dick. I find it incredibly hard to care about anything bad happening to these people, because they've pretty much renounced their humanity by following this path anyway. But on the other hand, I worry that the diaspora from CA (a massive, 400k strong community) could spill out into actually decent subreddits and have them shuttered too.

Any other opinions?

You could do better phrasing with a lot of the shit you say honestly.

But onto your actual point. I hear this kind of thing often. "You shouldn't punch Nazis, that'll only rile them up and make them stronger!" or "You can't deplatform him, that'll only validate the notion that he's being censored and make him a more powerful voice!". There's no reason to believe any of that. Until you can tell me me how removing a safe space for Nazis will create more safe spaces for Nazis, I'm not buying it, neither should you.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 am 

People always talk about Nazis constantly changing their lingo as if it's a bad thing. Wouldn't they be more efficient if they DIDN'T have to close up shop and relocate every couple months?

Also, Joe Biden is officially running. No, sir, I don't like it.

https://elections.ap.org/content/ex-vic ... -house-bid

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:18 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
People always talk about Nazis constantly changing their lingo as if it's a bad thing. Wouldn't they be more efficient if they DIDN'T have to close up shop and relocate every couple months?

No, not in the social media age where conspiracy theories rule the world. They use that kind of stuff as perfect fuel for their persecution complex and how there's a deep state communist conspiracy, that's how they get the majority of their new supporters nowadays.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:11 am 

I'll be voting for him in the primary.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:42 pm 

Ezadara wrote:

That's exciting, which are you hoping he'll be in 2020?

Spoiler: show
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:01 pm 

Well, the first image is just false. Biden didn't 'attack' Hill, he failed to call out witnesses who would have supported Hill in testimony-- which is still bad, but let's not distort reality. He acknowledged the mistake and went on to make a point of ensuring more female representation on the Judiciary Committee and making issues around sexual assault allegations a part of the committee's agendas. The 'disastrous' crime bill he spearheaded in 1994 included among its provisions the first assault weapons legislation in the United States; a domestic violence prevention act that created over $1.5 billion in funds to provide services to victims of sexual assault, build battered women's shelters, combat sexual violence on college campuses, and investigate violence against women of color, among many other things; and privacy protections for abortion providers and patients against harassment by pro-life activists. It definitely included some other provisions and effects that are problematic (prohibiting inmates from receiving Pell grants, the three strikes provision, the resulting prison overcrowding), but I would hardly call the act disastrous considering it in its totality.

The Omnibus Counterterrorism Act did not 'become' the PATRIOT Act, it was never even put to a vote-- the only connection between the two is that he himself claims the latter copied the former, though if there's any evidence that it was directly inspired by his legislation, I haven't heard of it. His vote for DOMA in '96 was a bad one (although considering nearly every other Democrat in the Senate at the time voted for it as well, it's not like his vote was the deciding one), but he went on to vote against the FMA, was pretty much responsible for the Obama White House coming out in favor of same-sex marriage and signing an executive order to ban anti-LGBT discrimination in the workplace, and has actively worked to support the LGBT community through his foundation since, so I'm willing to cut him some slack on his DOMA vote.

The Glass-Steagall repeal and Patriot Act votes are solid criticisms, I'll give you those two. And I won't say a word about the 2005 bankruptcy vote because this is honestly the first I've heard of it and I don't know a thing about it. And as for the last image, I'm sorry, I'm not one of those Democrats who flipped out when Biden had the gall to compliment a Republican lawmaker who helped him pass a cancer initiative, so the fact that he presented George Bush with a medal really doesn't make a huge difference to me.

With regards to the Iraq Resolution, my feelings on that particular matter are kind of complex and liable to wander off the subject of the thread, but I'm happy to delve more into it if you like.

I don't have any problem with people preferring other candidates over Biden-- we've got such a diverse field with many great candidates, and there's quite a few I'd be happy to vote for if they win the nomination. And there are definitely criticisms of Biden I can understand and wouldn't argue against (though there are also ones I can't understand and find kind of asinine). But as long as he's running for the nomination, he'll have my vote for a number of reasons I don't mind getting into, not least of which is I believe he is the candidate best equipped to hand Trump a resounding defeat in 2020.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:35 am 

Not US politics but ideologically related to Trumpism: A study was published today that of all Facebook posts published by political parties in Germany every week, 85% are made by the far-right AfD, the remaining 15% by all the other major parties combined.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:54 pm 

That’s odd. In the USA and Canada, the right-wingers complain that Facebook is a leftist echo chamber, where conservatives voices are disproportionally targeted for censorship.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 pm 

Yeah but I'd be willing to bet the same study would lead to the same result in the USA and Canada, because for a leftist echo chamber it sure is churning out anti-immigration, anti-islam or anti-asylum memes/macros by the million.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:15 pm 

The Right is fueled by a mind-bogglingly primal victim complex that infests every aspect of their being. Source: I grew up around this shit.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:53 am 

Today Trump had to turn against his conspiracy theorist core voter base after measles started turning epidemic.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:16 pm 

Ahahahaha, Jacob Wohl is BACK and Wohllier than ever!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right ... ault-claim
https://www.thedailybeast.com/pete-butt ... sault-hoax

Quote:
The two had plans for Kelly to follow up his initial accusations against Buttigieg with a press conference but they needed Kelly to sign off on the script. Kelly said that, at this point, the duo turned to intimidation, telling him that backing out and leaving was “not an option.”

Ultimately, Kelly extricated himself from the situation. “I pretended to be tired and ‘nap’ as a chance to pack my belongings while family was on their way to grab me,” he wrote. “Once I was told my family had arrived, I rushed downstairs and told Wohl I could not do this because that is not the type of person I am.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: Okay calling it now, Wohl will be president one day and he'll be elected at least 5 times.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:50 pm 

Well he has an amateur's hallucinatory idea of how campaigning normally works, so his chances can't be much worse than Trump's were in 2016.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:56 pm 

Watching William Barr's public reputation (or whatever there was left of it) completely fucking go up in flames over the last week has been quite a fascinating, entertaining experience. Yeah, he was always an awful, evil asshole that did the bidding of whoever employed him without fail, but he still at least kind of commanded some sense of respect in the US legal community simply because he used to be an Attorney General almost 30 years ago. Now, he's a complete laughingstock, being called a chicken on the floor of the House of Representatives, represented literally by a bucket of KFC fried chicken, and having every Democrat under the sun calling for his resignation thanks to that wretched Senate testimony of his yesterday.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:54 pm 

It's even more amazing when you consider that he didn't really need this job, and had already declined to work for Trump twice since 2016.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:34 pm 

Ezadara wrote:

Why you would think this is better than any of the other primary candidates is beyond me:
https://imgur.com/a/b3EC1D9

Totally inexcusable.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:06 pm 

Looks like people don't give a fuck.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:49 pm 

Don't panic yet, at this point in the '04 election, Joe Lieberman was dominating the field. It's all based on name recognition right now (same is true for Sanders), we'll have a clearer picture where things actually stand after the first debate.

Interestingly, Matt Christman pointed out that Democrats aren't split on ideological lines, as the vast majority of them list Biden and Bernie as their top two choices. Though again, this could just be name recognition.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 pm 

Not sure why but I never realized people disliked Biden prior to these misconduct allegations.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Don't panic yet, at this point in the '04 election, Joe Lieberman was dominating the field. It's all based on name recognition right now (same is true for Sanders), we'll have a clearer picture where things actually stand after the first debate.

Interestingly, Matt Christman pointed out that Democrats aren't split on ideological lines, as the vast majority of them list Biden and Bernie as their top two choices. Though again, this could just be name recognition.

I hope it's just name recognition. Both of these guys need to bow out. The last thing this country needs is another white old geezer disconnected from society attempting to run it, regardless of their progressive policies. The more I learn of Mayor Pete Buttigieg, the more I like the guy. It also works out that when I ran through isidewith.com, he came out on top. I did that before I was even aware of him.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:59 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
The last thing this country needs is another white old geezer disconnected from society attempting to run it, regardless of their progressive policies.

Hellworld is real. Doesn't matter if the policies are good if they're coming from an old white guy, what we really need are completely vague non-policies from a generically handsome and young white guy!

Buttchug's website literally had an official palette before he had any official policies and it was the same palette as a jar of Hellman's Mayonnaise.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:20 pm 

Interesting website there, isidewith.com. I took it and my highest match by 1% was actually Cory Booker. Eh, cool. He's likable, charismatic and fairly young. I'd be down with him.

What I ultimately want is just anything...anything, literally anything other than the Orange Carrot in charge. A lobotomized monkey would be much preferable to Trump. Just vote him out, stick someone on the stump that can WIN WIN WIN. That's all I want.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Interesting website there, isidewith.com. I took it and my highest match by 1% was actually Cory Booker. Eh, cool. He's likable, charismatic and fairly young. I'd be down with him.

What I ultimately want is just anything...anything, literally anything other than the Orange Carrot in charge. A lobotomized monkey would be much preferable to Trump. Just vote him out, stick someone on the stump that can WIN WIN WIN. That's all I want.

My highest match is a four-way tie between Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke, Pete Buttigieg, and Amy Klobuchar at 94%. Then I got Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, and Kirsten Gillibrand at 93%. And Julian Castro and Bernie Sanders at 92%.

My brain is probably on "JUST VOTE ANYONE WHO'S BLUE" mode.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:

My highest match is a four-way tie between Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke, Pete Buttigieg, and Amy Klobuchar at 94%. Then I got Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, and Kirsten Gillibrand at 93%. And Julian Castro and Bernie Sanders at 92%.

My brain is probably on "JUST VOTE ANYONE WHO'S BLUE" mode.

I took the quiz and Klobuchar was at my top, followed close by Buttigieg, Gabbard, and Booker. Here I thought I was going to end up full Bernie or Biden. Interesting to see who I actually side with.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
The last thing this country needs is another white old geezer disconnected from society attempting to run it, regardless of their progressive policies.

Hellworld is real. Doesn't matter if the policies are good if they're coming from an old white guy, what we really need are completely vague non-policies from a generically handsome and young white guy!

Buttchug's website literally had an official palette before he had any official policies and it was the same palette as a jar of Hellman's Mayonnaise.

I’m wondering if Hazard’s account might have been hacked. He’s normally one of the more level-headed and reasonable voices around here. So for him to start spouting such asinine identity politics bullshit, was very surprising.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:17 pm 

Yeah I was at 97% on Corey Booker! Very very high. It was a 4 way tie at 96% for Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg. Interesting. 97% is a very high compatibility score, maybe I ought to go out campaigning for Corey Booker! Ha!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:00 pm 

I was at 92% for Sanders, Warren, and Gabbard. I’m still undecided as to which of the first two I’ll go for in the primaries.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm 

I think Liz Warren is the best overall as far as policy goes, but I think she has no idea how to engage with Trump and she'd be torn to shreds by the GOP attack dogs. Plus, how freaking amazing would it be if she was Treasury Secretary or VP? So I'm still fully behind Bernie, but I hope she'll appear near the top of the list, because she needs a major role in our government ASAP.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 pm 

I always hate these political "whose side are you on" quizzes, whether they are for particular candidates or parties. They generally don't allow for essential elements of governance like practicality, diplomacy, depth of policy knowledge, or (and I'm aware this is increasingly a dirty word in American polity) compromise; nor do they typically take into account campaign factors such as presentation, likeability, or being able to minimize the politics of ressentiment and reactance in your opponent (as opposed to igniting them to your disadvantage). They rarely take into account the actual experiences of any given candidate and how the public should judge those experiences. When they do attempt to take them into account, it's generally just in the format of a "here's a stupidly simplified explanation of every vote in Congress and how these people voted on them" list without any context or nuance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:17 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
(and I'm aware this is increasingly a dirty word in American polity) compromise

Yes, I don't suppose the ability to make compromises is first on dem voters' list of qualities they're looking for the president to replace Trump. Rightly so - it's time people demanded some kind of humanity from the administration.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:39 am 

I dunno what you guys are talking about; Obama's frequent insistence on compromise, even when there was no precedent or even reason for doing so, is why we now have universal single-payer healthcare, why foreign wars have de-escalated considerably and why everyone slightly to the right of McCain never called Obama Stalin, Mao and Hitler's lovechild. It's also why radical centrist Merrick Garland now sits on the Supreme Court, rather than a right-wing majority. I also have to agree that between "enhanced interrogating" all perceived enemies of the US and torturing none of them, the most moral option is in the center of those two. Thanks Obama!

Bring on that team of rivals, Biden! I'm sure Trump is just fluke (a mere 91% of Republicans approve of him, one of the highest approval ratings of any American president), the next Republican president will be reasonable again, I just know it!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 am 

Beto O'Rourke up top with Tulsi Gabbard, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, and Elizabeth Warren rounding out the top five. Not sure what to make of that.

Also, I guess primaries were yesterday? Didn't seem like they were advertised as much as the last couple.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:30 am 

I got 97% for O'Rourke, Harris, Buttigieg, Gabbard, and Booker. Above 90 for all Dem candidates minus Delaney (why is he running, lol) with Yang and Biden at the bottom of that pack.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:42 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
stuff

darkeningday wrote:
stuff

Naturally then I assume you think it would be preferable if, for example, the American healthcare system remained unchanged after 2008 and none of the things PPACA did ever went into law. Because, you know, that was compromise, and if we don't get single payer then there's no point. Right?

Dems are a big enough tent that nothing gets done even with one-party control of Congress and the White House without compromise, never mind when government is divided. Knowing when and where to compromise is a basic set of skills a president should have.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:42 pm 

Had Reid removed the filibuster, which he absolutely could have, and Obama hadn't shopped around to the insurance companies to assure them they had nothing to worry about, which he didn't have to do, we could now be enjoying universal coverage. Hell, they could've at least passed freaking Card Check. As soon as all these downtrodden, impoverished right-wingers realized they'd lose their healthcare if they voted for Republicans, the death knell of the party in its current form would be at hand.

Compromise is needed for certain populist positions, such as whether abortion or more controversial forms of contraception should be covered by that universal healthcare, or whether undocumented people should be able to use the system; there's actually a reasonable discussion to be had there. But "compromise" over whether a diabetic should be allowed to quit his McDonald's job that's killing him inside because it's the only way he can live, or whether a mother has to condemn her daughter to death because she can't afford her medicine isn't a compromise worth acknowledging.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 am 

You're eliding the fact that single payer didn't even have the votes in the House to make a point about a procedure in the Senate where single payer was even less popular, thus rendering your point irrelevant, all while agreeing with me that compromise is needed in some situations. So...you win, I guess?

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I’m wondering if Hazard’s account might have been hacked. He’s normally one of the more level-headed and reasonable voices around here. So for him to start spouting such asinine identity politics bullshit, was very surprising.

Nah, I'm not remotely important enough for someone to waste time hacking shit I do. Might as well steal the wallet of a 12-year-old.

I think Bernie Sanders is disconnected and he's a divisive and problematic candidate. It was noted that some, not a huge number, but too many anyway, Bernie fans had voted for Trump out of pure spite. Regardless of how the Democratic party behaved at the time, fucking over the whole country was not the mature response. This acidic attitude among Bernie supporters is not something the Democrats--or this fucking country--needs in 2020. Granted, this doesn't address my original point about Bernie being just another disconnected geriatric white guy.

Why I think that is because he can't get past his own fucking ego in this. His divisiveness isn't good for this country, and it's clear that he doesn't care about that. While he has some good policy ideas, his time is fucking past. He should be propping up younger, more capable candidates. He's at a point where his power behind the scenes and a different candidate would probably be far more influential.

Even the most progressive and aware person is going to fail to understand something when they're edging their 80's, not to mention the physical limitations that come with that age. Bernie has not lived with the societal issues than Gen-X, Millennials, and Gen-Z (whatever) have to deal with. His generation helped create a bunch of the issues that are breaking this country. Even well-informed, it's going to be hard for him to understand the daily grind of living in a country that is effectively heading into decline.

My point being, we've already had too many presidents from the same fucking generation, same fucking era, and similar backgrounds. Three of the last four presidents were born in the same fucking year. Only Obama was not born in 1946. And Bernie Sanders is older. I'm sure it comes off as ageist, but let's be frank here, modern societies and changes are built and driven by those ranging from 20-40. Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook, for instance, were all built by young guys. These younger generations are the driving force of change in society. They are the ones dealing with daily issues on an actual daily basis.

And to be frank, you can see this problem with the aging Boomer generation all over the place, as that is the generation far more likely to share bullshit on social media, perpetually clouding or damaging important information. This generation is fucking disconnected from society as a whole. I doubt any of us Gen-X or younger go to our grandparents for sage advice on how to deal with the modern world. And that is not what we need in leadership in any capacity. There is a time when older leaders need to realize they are no longer leaders, but teachers, and that is the perfect role for Sanders.

Is Bernie Sanders better than the average grumpy boomer in this capacity? I can easily say yes. But does that make him a great candidate to lead us out of a mess his generation helped create? Does that mean he understands what it's like for a Millennial to struggle with $800/month student loans? Hell no.

At some point, Obi-Wan stopped doing the fighting himself to pass on his wisdom to the new generation. This is the nicest thing I can say about Bernie Sanders, and it is the path he should be taking now. Give advice so the energized new generations can build upon that and add it to their more accurate understanding of the modern world.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 227  Next