Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:38 pm 

Yeah, can't say I'm totally enthused by Uncle Snatch and Sniff. If I was American, and he was the Democratic Party leader, I'd reluctantly vote for him, but surely the party has better, less creepy and problematic candidates.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 pm 

I'm really hoping Biden gets smoked in the primary. I really don't wanna have to vote for him, just like I didn't wanna have to vote for Hillary, either.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 pm 

I just hope we can shed this cancerous belief that criticism in the primary could hurt the nominee in the general. No one should have any compunction pointing out that Biden is a racist servant of austerity with a worse voting record than either Clinton, but you still need to vote for him in the general.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:33 pm 

On the bright side, if it does come down to Creepy Uncle Joe vs. the Pervy Pres, maybe the election campaign can actually focus on policy. With both candidates being woefully disreputable in their personal conduct, they both might steer clear of a mudslinging contest.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 pm 

Biden is probably the worst of the candidates and there's like 20 of them. Yet he's the most popular. Urgh.

Still, fuck purity tests in the general election, as always.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:44 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
While I absolutely agree there needs to be a much more complex and varied way of aligning your own personal political views on a scale of sorts, the very idea of being "socially liberal" but "economically conservative" runs entirely counterpoint to each other, given that social liberalism runs directly into liberal economics due to the fact that conservative economics are heavily skewed in favour of the well-off, and generally affects the not-so-well-off disproportionately negatively. I mean, you can absolutely identify as socially liberal, and economically conservative, but consider yourself as liberal due to your views of social issues being more important than economic ones, but you wouldn't ACTUALLY be liberal in the truest sense. Your social views would be entirely offset by your economic views. They would cancel each other out, thereby rendering your political identity sort of moot if you identify as progressive. Or as conservative, really.

Oh, that's just ridiculous. That's what happens what you try to reduce anyone's views to a number on a line or a blob on a chart. You get this notion that things can "cancel out", like there's some simple algebra to it. Neocons think like that.

There's nothing wrong or impossible about being in favor of lower taxes and decreased government spending, and also in favor of a woman's right to choose and access to birth control. A Neocon would say it actually is impossible, but that's more due to belligerence and their basically authoritarian attitude than any political leanings.

I read somewhere that back in the 50s some sociologist identified 10 factors that were pretty good at pegging one's political leanings. Some were era specific shit about commies, but still. Ten. And today here we are insisting that it can all be boiled down to two factors so it fits on a piece of paper.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:43 pm 

The way his post began I thought he was going down the "socially liberal but fiscally conservative just means you don't want to pay for social policies" criticism but then he muddled through his own fork in the road.

severzhavnost wrote:
On the bright side, if it does come down to Creepy Uncle Joe vs. the Pervy Pres, maybe the election campaign can actually focus on policy.

I'm about 90% sure this is what Trump's team fears the most. Maybe not necessarily Trump himself, but his advisors. They're sitting back watching Beto passionately argue about restaurant menus and Bernie self-Hortoning and going "please, dear god, let these people be our opponents. Anyone but a cranky white centrist who will take 10% of Republican-leaning voters by default." Not saying they're necessarily right, that's just more or less orthodox campaign-think.

Also: Mueller is the annoyed college professor whose homework we all didn't read but should have.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:03 am 

Freedom fries, freedom toast - freedom gas!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48454674

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:25 am 

Trump wants to put 5% tariffs on imports from Mexico, raising it by another 5% each month. Biggest imports from Mexico of course are cars and car parts by General Motors and Ford.

My personal recommendation for Americans is that Skoda are making very nice cars nowadays, and Volvo is always making some good ones as well, just avoid Renault if you don't want a car that spends more time in repair than on the road.

(P.S. Just wanted to mention to have it in the thread that during Trump's visit to Japan a ship named USS John McCain was ordererd to be hidden and its crew was ordered to stay away from the reception.)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 am 

I used to want to punch Trump in the face. Now I just want to yell "John McCain" while making booga-booga noises in his face.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 am 

If you were rich you could just buy a house next to every Trump golf course in the world and rename each house the "John McCain House".

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:07 am 

More people are moving from the US to Mexico than the other way around
https://www.businessinsider.de/number-o ... ico-2019-5

Build that wall!!

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:54 am 

30 years from the Tienanmen Square brutal massacre. A positive thing that Mike Pompeo mentioned it to those commie criminals.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:05 am 

Damn those criminals, they were dropping depleted uranium on civilian populations around the same time, too. At least somebody was.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:33 am 

droneriot wrote:
Damn those criminals, they were dropping depleted uranium on civilian populations around the same time, too. At least somebody was.

Maybe it's not so bad, because also someone else did something bad. Or maybe it is bad, but people from the country whose regime did the other bad thing shouldn't be saying it?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:42 am 

The latter obviously. R Kelly calling Bill Cosby a dirty rapist doesn't make Bill Cosby any less of a dirty rapist, R Kelly is just not the best choice to point the finger.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 am 

Every American is complicit in - no, personally responsible for the war crimes committed by their government? Gotcha.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:24 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
On the bright side, if it does come down to Creepy Uncle Joe vs. the Pervy Pres, maybe the election campaign can actually focus on policy. With both candidates being woefully disreputable in their personal conduct, they both might steer clear of a mudslinging contest.

You seem to forget that one of the candidates would still be Trump. Mudslinger Maestro. He's the pot that calls the kettle black, all the while thinking he's a fucking Yeti coffee mug.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:27 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Every American is complicit in - no, personally responsible for the war crimes committed by their government? Gotcha.

Mike Pompeo isn't every American. That's some rather shady baiting attempts, interesting to see you jumped on that bandwagon.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:19 pm 

Thanks for clearing up that you're specifically talking about Mike Pompeo, rather than the general American criticism of Tiananmen square massacre. What, then, has been Pompeo's involvement in American use of depleted uranium against civilian targets?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:30 pm 

I'm not actually clearing anything up, just repeating the same thing you're pretending not to understand in order to bait for something quotable or screenshotable. Nobody is really into lame games like that, and if you're curious about who Mike Pompeo is, I suggest Wikipedia. Then maybe start a Gamergate re-enactment subreddit for online role playing games like this.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I'm not actually clearing anything up, just repeating the same thing you're pretending not to understand in order to bait for something quotable or screenshotable.
That's ridiculous. No, it's just actually that hard to tell what you're trying to say.
droneriot wrote:
Nobody is really into lame games like that, and if you're curious about who Mike Pompeo is, I suggest Wikipedia. Then maybe start a Gamergate re-enactment subreddit for online role playing games like this.

If you wanted to make a point, you'd be better off by speaking out and elaborating it, instead of making outwardly inane statements that hold a supposed truth to them that you're too much of a condescending, arrogant wanker to actually spell out. On my part, you're of course free to continue your exercises in solipsism by yourself here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm 

:scratch: :durr:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 pm 

...The fuck is going on here

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 pm 

I still don't even know what Aldrahn333 was trying to say. Could someone clue me in?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 pm 

Pompeo drew attention to the Tienanmen Square Massacre on its anniversary, which some people consider a diplomatic faux pas. Others think it's a bold move. Others think only the Virgin Mary retains the right to criticize human rights abuses.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 am 

Weird that I'd be in solidarity with Pompeo to dunk on leftist political action, but tankies are anthropomorphized cancer cells that metastasize in the otherwise robust body of the left, and if it takes buddying up with someone like Pompeo to get them excised I'm all for it. There is no defense of the Tiananmen Square massacre, just as there is no defense of the US military propping up the Contras. I see no hypocrisy here. Quite the opposite in fact.

Also, Earthcubed, holyshit: https://i.imgtc.ws/Z5IoS5Z.png

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 pm 

DNC: We promise, no kiddie table debates!
Also DNC: Let's fuck over Elizabeth Warren as much as possible by doing JUST THAT.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Pompeo drew attention to the Tienanmen Square Massacre on its anniversary, which some people consider a diplomatic faux pas. Others think it's a bold move. Others think only the Virgin Mary retains the right to criticize human rights abuses.

But more others use the Virgin Mary and her kin to commit human rights abuses.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:55 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Also DNC: Let's fuck over Elizabeth Warren as much as possible by doing JUST THAT.

Anyone who isn't on the stage with Biden got screwed because he is the metric against which they are measured. To a lesser degree that's also the case for anyone who isn't on the stage with Bernie, though I suspect many of the candidates would be glad not to have to face that measurement.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:27 pm 

Mellifleur wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Anyone who isn't on the stage with Biden got screwed because he is the metric against which they are measured. To a lesser degree that's also the case for anyone who isn't on the stage with Bernie, though I suspect many of the candidates would be glad not to have to face that measurement.

I mean, that's not a hard beat. Biden has a history of shoving his foot in his mouth, and he's doing a campaign with the main strategy of limited exposure so that he doesn't repeatedly shove his foot in his mouth.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:53 pm 

And even then, he’s already said or done some intensely idiotic shit at least a half dozen times since he started running, and yet he’s still championed by the mainstream left as being the solution to the Trump problem.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 am 

Well what the mainstream left dislikes about Trump is the crassness with which he carries out his policies, not the policies themselves, and since Trump won they figure the winning ticket is someone whose policies would be very similar but who isn't as crass, thus their call for the rightmost democrat. Of course Biden isn't good even by that measure because he can't stop going around making jokes about groping every woman he's ever met. I believe the DNC cares way more about controlling their own party apparatus than controlling the hill or the whitehouse and that running Biden is not intended to actually beat Trump and is solely intended to cow dissidents within the party by forcing them to sell their souls and vote for a complete slug in the general again. Obviously this is pretty bleak, but does anyone have any evidence that the democratic party leadership is not this cynical or that they do genuinely care about the people the Trump regime is persecuting? The DNC are rich ruling class elites too and that ultimately makes them beneficiaries of Trump's policies.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am 

Earthquake strength 1.3 registered in North Korea, story - or lack thereof - still developing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:22 pm 

So Alex Jones’s legal team sent child porn to the prosecution team representing the Sandy Hook parents that are suing him. He then proceeded to go on his show, blame a setup by the Democratic Party, and rant about how he doesn’t want to have sex with children.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d07 ... m=facebook

Nothing else that I say will make this better than it already is.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 am 

Some more super-fun attacks on LGBT people for those who don't know.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pinknew ... stead/amp/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/homeless- ... 90605.html

And a broader issue,
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... us-reasons

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:06 am 

Headline of the year.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:52 am 

So do any ordinary Americans want war with Iran? Tensions seem to be artificially rising and I can't tell who actually wants this aside from DC chickenhawks.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:31 am 

Nobody wants war with Iran except the usual suspects in power. The only reason Trump called off the Iran strike is because he realized it was John McCain's dying wish.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:36 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
So do any ordinary Americans want war with Iran? Tensions seem to be artificially rising and I can't tell who actually wants this aside from DC chickenhawks.

Pretty much no person wants war with Iran except for John Bolton. Even Trump seems wary about it despite his chicken-hawk ramblings. But his idiotic "we'll see" comments about how to deal with the recent events are at best annoyingly idiotic and at worst, worryingly bleak. Upside is that none of our allies are willing to follow us to war with Iran in any circumstance. And our military is currently being squandered at the border with Mexico with a different pretend war. Oh, and Iraq and Afghanistan still for some reason. Remember those countries? We're still there. And Yemen also maybe. And Syria?

Yeah, a war with Iran is a real smart move [sarcasm tag]. I think the number of people in this country who actually want that can be counted on two hands. And despite Trump's buffoonish posturing, even he doesn't seem to want it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 227  Next