Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

I don't see how Nazis would want to change the American system considering that, aside from the ultra-wealthy, they benefit the most from this current administration being in power. The only way they'd want any change to happen is to allow them to have MORE power than they already have.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:52 am 

Hey speaking of Nazis and the lying fake news media, check out Trump being incredibly respectful and thoughtful when addressing a room full of Jews: https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... i-american

Nothing at all like the disgusting antisemitic filth Ilhan Omar and Jeremy Corbyn peddle. The fact Trump's remarks didn't even make a dent in the news cycle, whereas for Omar and Corbyn it's been a daily assault on how antisemitic both of them are, really hammers home how rational and unbiased the media is.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:51 am 

At this point, everything Trump says gets blurred into the mass of shit he's said over his 4 years. But yeah, a lot of media seems to make a total double standard for what is "normal" for him to say compared to other politicians.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:53 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Hey speaking of Nazis and the lying fake news media, check out Trump being incredibly respectful and thoughtful when addressing a room full of Jews: https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... i-american

Nothing at all like the disgusting antisemitic filth Ilhan Omar and Jeremy Corbyn peddle. The fact Trump's remarks didn't even make a dent in the news cycle, whereas for Omar and Corbyn it's been a daily assault on how antisemitic both of them are, really hammers home how rational and unbiased the media is.

Supporting the annexation of the West Bank and Golan Heights it doesn't really matter what Trump's opinion on Jews is, he'll never be considered antisemitic. Exact same in reverse for the other two.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:04 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:

I like Bernie. The downside with Bernie is he's great with coastal cities and the youth vote, but the older voters who are still a good chunk of the Democrats don't want him and want someone a little more moderate. Nominate a moderate, you alienate the youth vote, nominate a true progressive, you alienate the older moderate wing. We need honestly a consensus candidate or we're going to end up in a contested convention. Me personally, I'm voting for whoever they nominate. If it's Biden, fine; he is polling the best at the moment. Let's see who he picks as a running mate to balance the ticket.

It may not matter if the old geezers don't like Bernie. The new generations outvoted the boomers in 2018. Fucking finally.

From the article:

Quote:
Higher turnout accounted for a significant portion of the increase. Millennials and Gen X together cast 21.9 million more votes in 2018 than in 2014. (The number of eligible voter Millennials and Gen Xers grew by 2.5 million over those four years, due to the number of naturalizations exceeding mortality.) And 4.5 million votes were cast by Gen Z voters, all of whom turned 18 since 2014.

By comparison, the number of votes cast by Boomer and older generations increased 3.6 million. Even this modest increase is noteworthy, since the number of eligible voters among these generations fell by 8.8 million between the elections, largely due to higher mortality among these generations.

This number will only increase going forward. I can't help but think of a cruel irony that the older generations that support Republicans, centrists, and Trump are actually being partly killed off by the shitty way Republicans treat healthcare.

For that matter, Bernie and Warren are the closest to actual fucking moderates. The rest of the Democratic party has been moved too far right in recent decades. Sorry, couldn't get an image to link. Sanders and Warren (and Gravel?) are the closest to the left-right center and the closest to the authoritarian-libertarian center. They are the closest thing to actual moderates that we have. This is how badly American politics has been skewed to the right.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:45 am 

Lmao, Mike Gravel. The power of Chapo Trap House, folks.

I'll vote blue no matter who. But I don't just stand behind Bernie because I prefer his politics and his refusal to compromise on things like healthcare, I genuinely think he'd be the best to not only defeat Trump, but beat him by the wide margin Pelosi spoke of to prop up right-wing Democrats. Fact: Trump outperformed the polls because he got people who usually don't vote or even never vote to participate in the political process. Fact: Bernie's election strategy has always been to do just this, and potentially on a far grander scale than Trump could even imagine. Want an example? After he came to one of her concerts, Ariana Grande and Bernie got 20,000 of her fans to register to vote IN PERSON, and apparently far more online.

Now that's praxis.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:51 am 

You both make good points, but let’s be honest. The youth vote are extremely unreliable. Even when I was younger I didn’t think about wanting to vote. Now I pay for it (semi-pun intended) years later.

Furthermore, Bernie’s supporters are a strange bunch. A good chunk of them ended up voting for Trump just out of spite and believed the Russian propaganda that Clinton was going to go to (possible nuclear) war with Russia. Neither side wants a war. Not to mention nobody’s got the balls to light off a nuke because they know what could happen. Was Clinton perfect? No but at least she was competent and we wouldn’t be having this conversation about an unqualified buffoon who currently occupies the White House.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:44 pm 

And more than twice as many Hillary voters in the primary voted for the not black candidate John McCain in 2008. If you voted Bernie in the primary and Trump in the general, you're a grade A moron who deserves to have his vote taken away. Bernie participated in 39 Clinton rallies and introduced her as "the next POTUS" at every one and despite that, Hillary still has the gall to claim Bernie "hurt her" by not endorsing her fast enough. She seems to have selectively forgotten it took her weeks longer to endorse Obama even after there was no way she could win the '08 primary and when asked why at the time claimed "who knows, dat nigga might get shot lol." Even after she finally did endorse Obama, she still threatened to walk away with her delegates if Obama didn't make her Secretary of State.

The correct answer in the 2016 general was Hillary. But blaming Bernie after running one of the worst campaigns in modern American history for her loss is ridiculous. Remember, Trump didn't win the election, Hillary lost it. That she didn't even campaign in key swing states--many of which went to Trump--is proof of this alone.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:43 pm 

Can we please not re-litigate the 2016 elections AGAIN

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:00 pm 

Hillary was just on Howard Stern (of all people) relitigating 2016. I'm just tired of people saying "don't primary Bernie because 2016."

In happier news, the FISA report just destroyed one of the dumber Republican conspiracy theories on how Obama allegedly commissioned the FBI to illegally investigate Trump, and the fallout has proven amusing albeit predictably muted. And of course these modern day Millarites have now moved on to another memo pending release that will actually have all the dirt they convinced themselves to believe. What'll be interesting is if they'll just move on to another conspiracy theory or keep this one alive for the next few years.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:13 pm 

I don't care if he's full of shit or not. This evil administration and all its associates need to be eradicated from the fucking earth by any means necessary.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:42 pm 

Hackabee has always been full of hot air. Pay him no attention.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:04 pm 

insanewayne253 wrote:
Hackabee has always been full of hot air. Pay him no attention.

The problem with that tweet, though, is that it shows how far the GOP has fallen and how they're in favor of a full-blown dictatorship.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:20 pm 

Huckabee may or may not be full of shit here, but there are people out there that wholeheartedly support continuing Trump past 2024. The Republicans can always use Fox News and their other propaganda arms to push the idea of Trump doing a third term onto even more of their supporters, and then Trump can just say "Hey, I'm running because the people have spoken and they DEMAND a third term!". If you want to go even further down this hypothetical slippery slope, who says we even NEED an election in 2024, or 2020 for that matter? The people just so desperately want Trump as President for life!

Do I wholeheartedly believe that everything there is going to happen? No. I think if Trump tried to run for a third term, SOMEONE will stop him with some form of permanence. But you hafta look at the history of Trump and realize that with how fervent his base is and how full on fucking insane he personally is, you ultimately can't rule out any potential illegalities that he might commit in the future as a means of increasing his own power and autonomy over the country.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 pm 

Especially ironic given that social media threads last election were full of paranoid infowars-types saying "Obama is going to enforce martial law and stay in office indefinitely! Be ready for a revolution!"
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:43 pm 

Republicans are totally fine with a fascistic dictatorship as long as it's their guy doing the dictatoring.

alexo666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:46 pm 

That's because the only thing conservatives do is project.

Honestly just end the planet already. Fucking conservatives.

Last FM

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:02 pm 

Apparently its been a while since some of you read the U.S. Constitution. Start with Amendment 22.

The Right is trolling the Left, again, and you fell for it, again. 2020 is shaping up to be wild ride for both sides. Hang on!

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:47 pm 

Musick wrote:
Apparently its been a while since some of you read the U.S. Constitution. Start with Amendment 22.

The Right is trolling the Left, again, and you fell for it, again. 2020 is shaping up to be wild ride for both sides. Hang on!

It should be internet etiquette that if you want people to check something out, you at least provide a link and quote to inspire said reading.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 pm 

Saying "22nd amendment" speaks for itself.

Anyway, elections are administered at the state level. There is literally nobody in the federal government Trump can point to and say "cancel the 2020 election" or "put me on every state ballot for 2024." Trump will try some shenanigans in 2020 and/or 2024, but he is not going to convince 50 different state government to cancel an election or grant him ballot access for an unconstitutional 3rd term.

The most plausible nightmare scenario for the 2020 election would be one or more swing states led by a Republican government deciding not to certify the election results if Trump didn't win their state (obviously, pubicly giving some other BS reason), thereby denying the Dem candidate X number of votes in the Electoral College.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:29 am 

..if that’s the case then the election is sent to The House where they pick the president; whoever is in control of the House in January of 2021.

Let’s pretend a scenario where he refuses to leave after being voted out. He would be the most high profile trespasser on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and can be removed forcibly by US Marshalls. This question has already been asked on the electoral-vote website which is a really good read.

Twitter is a cesspool. Almost like 4chan-lite these days. I’m glad I didn’t participate in that place. More importantly I don’t The the news stations are going to be showing a lot of Trump rallies this time around. To his credit he knew how to manipulate the 24 hr news cycle with rallies giving himself a ton of free airtime back in 2016. Not going to work so much this time around.

Lately he’s already saying he might not participate in the 2020 debates. Okay, congratulations. He’ll give his opponent a good 2 hour infomercial on what they’ll do if they get elected.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:35 am 

The rarely heard voices of sane conservatives.
Quote:
Not all Republicans were against Ms Slotkin, however.

Roy Goldsberry said: "I support her decision - and I say that as a Republican. I'm a rare breed.

"I don't believe the president is acting in the country's interests. I think he's acting in his own personal interests."

Nancy Strole has a badge proclaiming she's a Republican for Slotkin and she says she'd have supported whatever decision the congresswoman made.

"I am so proud of her. I have a Republican background, but I'm putting country over party," she said. "And she doesn't tell different people different things. She's straightforward."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50814838

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:53 pm 

Guys, please don't murk me here, I know relatively nothing about American politics, and I don't want to get into a debate about sides, but does anyone know exactly HOW MANY people are voting yay or nay on the impeachment thing tonight? I heard a bunch of people speak during the debate today, but how many people vote?

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:31 pm 

There's 431 Representatives right now who get a vote. There are currently 4 vacancies which would get a vote if they were filled for a maximum of 435. There are 6 non-voting reps for US territories. There are 233 democrats and 197 republicans and 1 independent. A couple of dems will vote not to impeach along with all the republicans, and the rest of the dems will vote to impeach.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:47 pm 

And he's just been impeached on both articles.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:07 pm 

lol what the fuck tulsi

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:40 pm 

Nobody's ever allowed to pretend that she's a progressive ever again after both not voting "yay" AND calling for Trump to be censured rather than impeached. That's on the same level as all the Republicans that claim to be against Trump but vote in lockstep with whatever he and McConnell want 100% of the time.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:13 am 

It's a dumbass move. Even Never Trumpers wouldn't glance in her direction thanks to her leftish foreign policy and open criticisms of NatSec. Who the hell is she trying to appeal to, Jimmy Dore's audience?

That said, she'll be completely redeemed if she does to Buttigieg what she did to Kamala. While I don't think he's a bigger threat to the left than Biden, he's absolutely the biggest evil still in the primary. And if she dropped out and endorsed Bernie afterwards I'd pledge her my firstborn child.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:41 am 

The polarity for this impeachment vote was astounding, as if the lines are being drawn for a civil war. Really scary stuff, frankly.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:46 am 

Now's when I remind everyone that the whole point of impeachment was to:
1) appease the democratic base and the never trumpers who've been calling for his removal since day one and
2) far more importantly and interestingly, knock out the moderate Republican senators as a way to establish a Democratic majority in the Senate. Cory Gardner, Ben Sasse, Susan Collins, Joni Ernst, Martha McSally and a couple others are up for reelection and while they absolutely will vote to acquit, it's going to spell disaster for their reelection since many of their constituents are anti-Trump

No one has any delusions this Republican party is going turn on Trump.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:38 am 

More trade wars, the US Department of Agriculture removes Wakanda as a free trade partner.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50849559

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:23 am 

Move this mess into the hands of the Senate where McConnell can kill it.

Unorthodox wrote:
The polarity for this impeachment vote was astounding, as if the lines are being drawn for a civil war. Really scary stuff, frankly.

What I find disturbing is how much the legacy media is entertaining the idea of civil war. Their influence on society is real and planting the seed of fourth-generation warfare is beyond reckless.

Currently this scenario makes the far left feel vindicated in their crazy behaviour during the past few years. If the impeachment is dropped will this inspire them to act even crazier? The far right could be pushed into direct action but if carelessly aimed at the left and democrats they will have been fooled.

Perhaps all of us have already been fooled. Maybe its just a distraction.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/12/18/congress-is-giving-taxpayers-a-2000-page-1-4-trillion-spending-bill-for-christmas/#disqus_thread

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:53 pm 

Musick wrote:
What I find disturbing is how much the legacy media is entertaining the idea of civil war. Their influence on society is real and planting the seed of fourth-generation warfare is beyond reckless.

What. The fuck. Are you talking about.

The Civil War bullshit has always been an integral part of the Trumpublican right in this country, even before Trump stumbled into the presidency. I cannot even fathom where you got the idea that milquetoast mainstream libs would be calling for civil war. Just classic projection I suppose.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 pm 

Gabbard has torpedoed what’s left of her political career with that “Present” nonsense. There is no excuse for still not having made up your mind about impeachment. And it rings even more half-ass coming from Gabbard who, even her detractors must admit that wimpy prevarication was not her style - until now :nono:.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:36 pm 

I love how he talks about RCP have mixed accuracy and then links to a fucking article from The Federalist. I thought that dude was handed a hard ban? If it was removed, it should be implemented once again, and forever. This is flat-out horse shit.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:47 pm 

We’re already in what some call a “cold civil war.” This has been happening since the 90s with dipshits like Randy Weaver which led to a Tim McVeigh bombing a federal building in Oklahoma City. Then in recent history with armed militias ready to shoot at feds during the Clive Bundy standoff. All I know is I don’t like the idea of living in an oligarchic theocracy aka the Christian version of Iran or Sufi Arabia.

The Republican Party isn’t a conservative bastion so much anymore as it’s now become a cult of personality.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:57 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

The Civil War bullshit has always been an integral part of the Trumpublican right in this country, even before Trump stumbled into the presidency. I cannot even fathom where you got the idea that milquetoast mainstream libs would be calling for civil war. Just classic projection I suppose.

No, talk of civil war was previously only uttered by the extreme ends of the spectrum. Never did I say legacy media was calling for war only that by exposing mainstream audiences to its possibility is ill-advised.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:06 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
I love how he talks about RCP have mixed accuracy and then links to a fucking article from The Federalist. I thought that dude was handed a hard ban? If it was removed, it should be implemented once again, and forever. This is flat-out horse shit.

Unbiased news does not exist. Although I lean towards a conservative viewpoint I look at many perspectives to gain a better understanding of the issues. Did you even look at the linked article?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:35 pm 

Musick wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

No, talk of civil war was previously only uttered by the extreme ends of the spectrum. Never did I say legacy media was calling for war only that by exposing mainstream audiences to its possibility is ill-advised.

I just linked you to a September Trump tweet echoing the Civil War narrative and a Joe Walsh tweet from November 2016.

how. how can one person be this stupid.

Burnyoursins wrote:

If someone could be banned solely for his crappy opinions, I wouldda been kicked out of here long ago :P .

I think it's good to keep at least a few Trumples around, if only for entertainment.

alexo666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:42 pm 

^It's cause he's a conservative, there's nothing in their thinking that constitutes good faith.

We've known this since Bush 2.

Think about it, everything is "i'M tROlLiNg Da LeFt" and nothing more.

Last FM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 147  Next