Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Drawn_In_Black
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:20 pm 

Hey I just thought it would be interesting to hear any other genres and bands that aren't metal that all of you guys are into. For example, I, personally, for nostalgic reasons, love 90s country music. As a kid, my family would go camping a lot and listen to old country CDs. I just figured that it would be cool to find out what non metal music you guys like.

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:43 pm 

Harsh Noise. Dungeon Synth. Dark Ambient. Solo recordings of traditional Japanese and Chinese instruments.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 pm 

I'm not sure how long this thread will last...

My favourite genre outside of metal is soul music. But instead of saying the usual "I LISTEN TO EVERYTHING" bullshit, I'll give a little top 10 list of favourite artists rather and genres, as it covers quite a few.

Bruce Springsteen (my all time favourite, even more than any metal project)
Sam Cooke
Gaslight Anthem (or Brian Fallon's solo records / Horrible Crowes)
Bjork
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Bob Seger
The Wooden Sky
The National
Van Halen
Kanye West

Some more recent favourites that I will need to hear more output from to put in the above's company:
Eric Church
Danny Brown
White Lung
Vince Staples
Matthew Logan Vasquez (and his plethora of projects, Delta Spirit, Glorietta, Middle Brother)
Phoebe Bridgers

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 am 

Jpop-rock. I can't get enough of it honestly. I'm more prone to only enjoy a song or two by any given artist in this field, but there are still a fair number of bands that I enjoy as bands. These are some of my all time favorites:

- Dance Number wo tomo ni by Nanahoshi Kangengakudan - Solo on this one is pretty great
- Senpai by Trysail - Written by Honeyworks, who I enjoy quite a bit. Cool main riff as far as pop rock goes.
- Ima suki ni naru by Honeyworks - The song that got me into Honeyworks.
- From the Closed World by Flaming June - One-off collaboration between Yanaginagi and Jun Maeda. Love the orchestration on this one.
- Merrily High Go Round by DOLL$BOXX - The members of Gacharic Spin plus Fuki of Unlucky Morpheus on vocals. Easily the most technicality I've ever heard in pop rock.
- Live My Life by Kishida Kyoudan and the Akeboshi Rockets - The guitarist of this band actually has my vote for worst guitar solo ever recorded, though not on this song.

. . . uh, I'm not a weeb or anything.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:39 am 

I absolutely adore well-written pop, and Kaoru Akimoto's Cologne might be my favorite pop album of all time. Lots of nice little details, and the hooks are phenomenal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmBf4bBQ6s

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 am 

The Cure, Joy Division, Fields of the Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Killing Joke et cetera. Well, I don't own ALL their albums, but play that stuff somewhat often.

Some Finnish pop/rock stuff is also dear to me. Miljoonasade, SIG, Leevi and the Leavings, Kollaa Kestää (well, it's punk), Kirka...

Also a fan of Roky Erickson.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 am 

Horror movie scores, dark instrumental music (Midnight Syndicate etc.) and dark ambient stuff. Basically, if it sounds evil - I’m in.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 am 

My music collection is mostly metal and then wildly schizophrenic. It's got video game and movie soundtracks (Gladiator is one of my favorites), classical music, stuff I'd heard in movies, TV shows, or games that I happened to like, and so forth.

Anything from Mumford & Sons, Emily Davis, Chaos Chaos, Lana Del Rey, The Mountain Goats, The Cure, Pearl Jam, Halestorm, The Dead South, Tiger Army, and the like are generously mixed in. So it's entirely possible to hear The Berzerker, then Mumford & Sons, then Megadeth, then something from the Gladiator soundtrack, then The Mountain Goats, then a track from Raiden V, etc. when my library is on shuffle.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:57 am 

I enjoy many non-metal songs, but most of them are by metal bands. When it comes to non-metal bands, I often like a few songs, but not enough to check out the band's entire discography... so my list of non-metal bands I like a lot is shorter than I wish it was. I like Sopor Aeternus and I also likesome mdissonant classical music such as Bartok.

Also, why is this thread titled "Confessions of a Metal Head"? Liking a genre outside of music is not something to confess - there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Drawn_In_Black
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I enjoy many non-metal songs, but most of them are by metal bands. When it comes to non-metal bands, I often like a few songs, but not enough to check out the band's entire discography... so my list of non-metal bands I like a lot is shorter than I wish it was. I like Sopor Aeternus and I also likesome mdissonant classical music such as Bartok.

Also, why is this thread titled "Confessions of a Metal Head"? Liking a genre outside of music is not something to confess - there is nothing to be ashamed of.

I didn't mean this as liking genres of music other than metal is something to be ashamed of. I'm sorry if it came across that way, but I just think it's cool to hear what kinds of other music the people on this site like. Maybe I picked a poor title for this thread, but whatever.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:31 pm 

I grew up on classic rock, so there are many bands from that era that I love. Other favourites include Alan Jackson and ABBA.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:49 pm 

I honestly don't listen to a lot of non-metal, myself. What I do listen to tends to be some kind of prog. Coheed & Cambria, a little Protest the Hero, that sort of thing. There was this Canadian prog rock band called The Tea Party that was pretty good. I still have one of their albums.

Aside from that, there's AC/DC, System of a Down, Roth era Van Halen, and Tool when I'm in the mood.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:00 pm 

I'm basically into every genre of music. If you can't find at least one artist that you enjoy in each genre of music, then there's something wrong with you, whether it be insecurity or general narrow mindedness. Even more puzzling is the fact that many metalheads have a reputation of being very narrow minded on their choice of music, even though metal is largely an inaccessible genre by mainstream standards. That being said, although metal is my favorite genre of music, Hip Hop, Classical, and Jazz hold a very deep place in my heart.

I've been listening to Hip Hop for as long as I've been listening to metal, and although I never got into the scene as much metal, I certainly enjoy the artists as much. Probably the biggest "guilty pleasure" amongst Hip Hop artists, for me, is Lil Xan. His quality sank faster than an iron in the ocean with his debut album, however, his first soundcloud releases were actually really good (at least in my eyes). Beyond that though, I have no guilt for any of things I like in that genre. I think the toughest thing for me to "get" ever in Hip Hop was the trap "bricksquad" material from Waka Flocka. But once I realized that it was basically death metal for the african american community, it clicked. I also have a giant love for Playboi Carti and some of the mumble rap artists, even though they are consistently ragged on. In his case, he's able to prove how less can be more in a song, and how a million bars of "great lyrics" doesn't necessarily make great pieces of music.

Both classical and jazz were genres of music I got into because of my musical abilities, as I played Sax in high school and Piano since I was about 12. It seems like it's fairly standard these for metalheads to be into the two genres, but either way, they deserve a shoutout in the thread haha.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:18 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
If you can't find at least one artist that you enjoy in each genre of music, then there's something wrong with you, whether it be insecurity or general narrow mindedness.

That’s a bit hyperbolic

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:09 pm 

Aside from classic/prog/blues rock... which a lot of metalheads probably love....

I really really enjoy qawwali (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Sabri Brothers) and Hindustani classical music (Pran Nath, Jasraj, Kishori Amonkar, Ali Akbar Khan).
I guess I like a bit of folk (Comus' "First Utterance" is one of my favorite albums of all time; also like Vashti Bunyan, Josephine Foster, and other kinda weird folk groups), Western classical music (well, mostly Mahler, Richard Strauss, Wagner type Romantic stuff), jazz and fusion stuff (Mahavishnu Orchestra is one of my favorites, but also Sun Ra!), and blues (Son House, Junior Kimbrough, Rev Gary Davis).

And dungeon synth, of course.

But I listen to like... 97% metal, and all the rest of that is the remaining 3%, except for phases, like when I listened to nothing but Nusrat for like a month. Everybody needs to listen to Nusrat (and metalheads, in particular those into drone type stuff, need to listen to Pran Nath!!!!). I wouldn't consider any of this really guilty pleasures or anything like that.

@HouseSpiders: Sopor Aeternus rules.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
If you can't find at least one artist that you enjoy in each genre of music, then there's something wrong with you, whether it be insecurity or general narrow mindedness.

That’s a bit hyperbolic

Ok sure, if you don't like Tuvan throat singing I'll give you a pass ;)

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:49 pm 

It's cool to see so many varied and interesting musical tastes.

For the longest time, I was obsessed with all that was fast and angry, and if it wasn't metal- that meant a ton of punk/hardcore bands from the 80's and early 90's. Classic stuff like Minor Threat, Discharge, MDC and the Misfits, and more extreme stuff like Septic Death and Anti-Cimex. Had to be fast and intense. What the heck, I was an angry alienated teenager and that's just what got me off. My musical tastes broadened eventually, thankfully.

I went through a couple periods in the early 1990s of being burned out on metal. For a while I was really digging British shoegaze pop (Curve, Ride, Swervedriver, Flying Saucer Attack.) Then in the late 1990s I rode the Green Day pop-punk bandwagon for a while until the wagon got too crowded with teenyboppers and I started to feel like I was too old for that stuff (plus it kept getting more and more watered down.) I still dig a lot of that stuff for nostalgia sake.

These days if I'm burned out on metal I delve into late 1960's underground rock (too many favorats to list) and I've always dug goth rock, the stuff like Lord Stenhammar listed above (see his post above, so I don't have to repeat it.)

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 pm 

For a while now, I had thought of starting a thread to see who the most commonly liked non-metal acts were. I wanted to get people to make lists of anywhere between 1-25 of their favourite acts/bands not on the archives and do a points system.

The reasons I never did it are:
1. People's tastes change.
2. List threads are mostly frowned upon here
3. Borderline bands like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Van Halen, Tool, Slipknot would probably ultimately claim all the top spots, anyhow.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 am 

Most of the above are pretty universally liked or admired, by metalheads and non-metal heads alike (well I don't know about Slipknot though.) Zeppelin, Tool, and early Van Halen are ultimate classics though, and AC/DC has always been fun party rock that pretty much every generation can get into.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:25 am 

GTog wrote:
I honestly don't listen to a lot of non-metal, myself. What I do listen to tends to be some kind of prog. Coheed & Cambria, a little Protest the Hero, that sort of thing. There was this Canadian prog rock band called The Tea Party that was pretty good. I still have one of their albums.

Aside from that, there's AC/DC, System of a Down, Roth era Van Halen, and Tool when I'm in the mood.

I know not technically "metal," but I never even consider AC/DC separate from this stuff. At least where I grew up, you listen to metal, that tends to just include AC/DC.

True story, the first albums I purchased which led me on this road to where I am now were Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and Back in Black.

For reference of my altered path, the last two albums I bought (last Friday) were Anaal Nathrakh: The Whole of the Law and Desideratum. From AC/DC to Anaal Nathrakh, haha!

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 am 

^That is a good point that most metal fans probably enjoy some hard rock, so that is probably a given along with prog, classical, and a couple others.

Country is the biggest non-metal (or falling into one of the above) portion of my listening. I grew up on a steady diet from my family from Hank Sr. to George Jones to George Strait to some newer acts like Whiskey Myers (saw them live a couple years ago), and I still listen to a lot of them along with some that I discovered on my own. In a weird way, I actually see this as tying into my metal enjoyment since many of my favorites as a kid were the more morose songs as opposed to the more overtly happier or bouncier tunes.

jimbies wrote:
For a while now, I had thought of starting a thread to see who the most commonly liked non-metal acts were. I wanted to get people to make lists of anywhere between 1-25 of their favourite acts/bands not on the archives and do a points system.

I like this idea. I think 25 is a bit much, but I think a top 10 would be neat just to see where we would collectively go.

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:49 am 

I love the Pixies, love Nirvana, love Smashing Pumpkins, love Jane's Addiction, and all that old 90's alternative shit.

Really like old Punk like Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Ramones, and I fucking LOVE the Misfits.

Also a fan of old industrial stuff like Coil, KMFDM, Ministry, Einsturzende Neubauten, Whitehouse.

I also like The Smiths quite a bit, as well as more noisy stuff like Big Black, and of course My Bloody Valentine is great, and so is R.E.M.

also fucking love classic rock bands such as AC/DC, Styx, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Perhaps.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 am 

It seems to be the natural course of events that as you get older, you start listening to a wider range of music. As a youngster I listened almost exclusively to metal, punk, grunge and classic rock. Now I listen to punk a lot less (haven't liked much of what I've heard since the early 90's), and have a growing collection of jazz (seconded on Sun Ra, plus all that 50's and 60's hard bop goodness, fucken MILES), classical, "world" music (for lack of a better term, mostly African stuff), a ton of classic country, blues and bluegrass, and a smattering of older stuff.

Another issue is that once you get hitched, unless the significant other has a Monstrosity tattoo on his/her face, you are probably going to have to temper what you listen to at home a bit. My wife enjoys some metal, and depending on her mood is tolerant of the types she doesn't like. So that influences what I buy and play around the house too. Though when I'm doing the dishes, time for some Ruins of Beverast, baby.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 am 

Oh and I still love the rap I grew up with (and have been checking out some older hip hop). Newer rap/trap/whatthefuckever is goddamn terrible, however. My kids listen to it, and I alternate between gritting my teeth in silence and picking apart just how awful it really is. Like an old man.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:18 pm 

i like a lot of different things as can be seen on my last.fm account. Some more noteworthy things include various forms of electronic music(mostly jungle/dnb these days), middle eastern folk, all sorts of weird rock and a lot of hardcore.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:19 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I know not technically "metal," but I never even consider AC/DC separate from this stuff. At least where I grew up, you listen to metal, that tends to just include AC/DC.

True story, the first albums I purchased which led me on this road to where I am now were Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and Back in Black.

For reference of my altered path, the last two albums I bought (last Friday) were Anaal Nathrakh: The Whole of the Law and Desideratum. From AC/DC to Anaal Nathrakh, haha!

I've always liked AC/DC, but where I grew up the go to hard rock band was actually Lynyrd Skynyrd. Lots of Skynyrd fans, but I only knew maybe two hard core AC/DC fans. The first non-metal album I bought for myself was Journey's Raised on Radio. I think I also had Frontiers. I also went through a Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull phase. I don't listen to any of them much anymore, and no longer own any of the old cassettes I used to have. So I don't think I qualify as a fan anymore. More of an aficionado.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 pm 

I'm kind of getting out of a big dive into 70's through late 80's RnB, vocal Soul and just about all of the Funk. Mostly cheap, easy to find vinyl even though a lot of it is very well written and produced stuff (BT Express, Mandrill, Whispers, Spinners, Ohio Players, Crusaders, EWaF, Kool and the Gang, Delfonics, Soul Searchers ...goes on forever, that stuff goes so hard). It was all that I was listening to for about a year. I found some crazy heavy hitting songs and albums, but of course, once you get deep the price rises and I have to stick to my core of Metal, Psych and Jazz as to where I put my money.

I love Jazz from Jimmie Lunceford to Brandon Lee Lewis and a good amount in between.
I spend way too much money on Psychedelic and Prog Rock records. It's unhealthy financially. I blame that on Proto Metal. Seems like every early 70s prog band is essentially early metal. Finally got around to snatching up the Babe Ruth debut. it has a wicked Alice Cooper - Killer vibe, if youre into that.

exsiccation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm 

Last edited by exsiccation on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:52 pm 

I try to find something worthwhile in every genre like Unorthodox and wholeheartedly agree with his statements for doing so, but I mainly listen to hip hop mostly of the boom bap genre, reggae, many different forms of electronica including, but not limited to Drum and bass, chill hop, glitch psytrance/psybient, techno and classic prog rock releases. My favorite hip hop artists would be de la soul, J Dilla, Gang Starr, Madlib, Kendrick Lamar, Anderson Paak, early Cypress hill and a bunch of other stuff that probably be too tedious to write/too boring for you guys to read, since it's just a list of acts anyway. Hip hop sort of filled the gap for me when I got burnt out on metal since I listened to metal and only metal for 8 years. I often return to it like having an old buddy, though.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 pm 

Not much to confess.

Some power electronics, death industrial, martial industrial, noise rock, krautrock, ritual ambient, dark ambient... I mostly like apocalyptic sounding things.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:43 pm 

Outside of metal, I mainly listen to jazz and various projects under the prog/space/psych/krautrock umbrella. for jazz it's hard to beat Eric Dolphy, Charles Mingus, Don Cherry, Joe Henderson, or Sun ra. And as for the other umbrella lately for reference my playlist has been dominated by Antonius Rex, Guru Guru, Birth Control, Xhol Caravan, Art Bears, Henry Cow, Grateful Dead, Gong, Hawkwind, and Atomic Rooster.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:12 am 

GTog wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I've always liked AC/DC, but where I grew up the go to hard rock band was actually Lynyrd Skynyrd. Lots of Skynyrd fans, but I only knew maybe two hard core AC/DC fans. The first non-metal album I bought for myself was Journey's Raised on Radio. I think I also had Frontiers. I also went through a Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull phase. I don't listen to any of them much anymore, and no longer own any of the old cassettes I used to have. So I don't think I qualify as a fan anymore. More of an aficionado.

Could've just been my circle of friends, but AC/DC was consistently popular. Skynard was too, like a lot of 70's rockers, but never quite as high up. Metallica became commonplace as the metal band listened to by people who didn't even listen to metal.

But my gap bridging from non-Metal to Metal was more from Grunge (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam) and some of the ... Industrial? (NIN, Ministry, etc.) of the era was more popular than the 70's rock generally except for AC/DC, so it's now pretty clear that I grew up into music in the 90's. This was among a collection of rural Minnesota farm communities, so stuff like Death Metal or more underground music in general were virtually unknown there.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
The Cure, Joy Division, Fields of the Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Killing Joke et cetera. Well, I don't own ALL their albums, but play that stuff somewhat often.

Some Finnish pop/rock stuff is also dear to me. Miljoonasade, SIG, Leevi and the Leavings, Kollaa Kestää (well, it's punk), Kirka...

Also a fan of Roky Erickson.

Forgot to mention some important bands, some of them quite close to metal, though: Uriah Heep (obviously), Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Black Widow (only got the first album), Journey, Survivor. Used to listen Captain Beyond's s/t album quite much, also the first Coven record.

Yeah, and where in hell I forgot Mana Mana and Musta Paraati from the Finnish list.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 am 

When I was growing up in the early 80s, I got into rock and metal, but I was also into Tubeway Army / Gary Numan, The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc. I also liked a bit of new wave / romantic like Duran Duran, Visage, Midge Ure era Ultravox, etc. Then I discovered hardcore / post punk, so got into Subhumans, Killing Joke, Rudimentary Peni, etc.

At the end of 1987, one of my greatest discoveries happened - Cardiacs! Absolutely amazing band!!!

Oh, and then there was all the gabba and speedcore in the 90s. Fvcking A!!!

These days, I listen to all sorts of genres, like death industrial, dark synthwave, dark ambient, electronic, etc.

Ther's just so much stuff out there!!!

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am 

jimbies wrote:

Bruce Springsteen (my all time favourite, even more than any metal project)

:beer:

Bruce was the first musician I remember actively listening to as a child (thanks mom and pop); wouldn't say he's an all time favorite, but still, absolutely essential for me.

Somewhat recently I learned about so called dark jazz and instantly fell in love with The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble. It's just a perfect blend of ambient dark sounds and moody, downtrodden jazz, perfect for bleak rainy nights. There's a good deal of variety on pretty much all their records as it's not all doom and gloom. And from there on I started to slowly explore this niche.

The most recent "discovery" was the two collaborative albums done by Erik Truffaz (jazz trumpeter) and Murcof (all sorts of electronica and ambient from what I gathered, out of which Being Human Being is absolutely phenomenal and engrossing. Mexico is more laid back and chill, still very worthwhile (not sure if it fits this somewhat nebulous dark jazz tag though).

To cut a long story short - Dale Cooper Quartet & The Dictaphones, Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, Povarovo, Somewhere off Jazz Street, and especially Heroin and Your Veins are some other great acts.

And a style of jazz that's often connected with dark jazz, probably because of electronica influences - nu jazz, also seems like a treasure chest. Didn't really delve into it properly, but I really liked Amon Tobin.

In general I disregarded non-rock forms of music for quite a long time (and even then I didn't really listen to much of rock classics or newer acts; I tended to stick with what I knew and had easy access to, like G'n'R, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, some great Croatian acts). I enjoy setting this right so to speak. The Cure for instance was a huge revelation for me. Pornography is flat out great.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:13 pm 

I like jazz and older rock and roll music like The Doors and such. I'll admit I like some of the hard rock I grew up with like Static X, System of a Down ect that helped me get into more extreme music. If I never got hooked on that I would have never stuck around to listen to "Metal Shop" which is a program that plays metal from 10PM to midnight on Saturdays on our local rock radio station. Say what you will about hard rock and nu-metal but KISW actually does a good job of playing things most mainstream stations don't - even if it's limited to 2hrs a week. They also help book metal concerts in the Seattle area. Do other radio stations do this across the country?

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:35 am 

I have to admit I like some Clawfinger... Their output is often energetic and catchy for sure. Another one with rapping is UK's Senser.

Other fantastic artists are (listing just some examples I'm into):

- Dire Straits
- Jean-Michel Jarre
- Alphaville
- Killing Joke
- Primus
- Commodore 64 / Amiga music
- Dynatron
- Clutch
- Alice Cooper
- Rocket Scientists
- Kiss
- Van Halen
- Dropkick Murphys
- Duran Duran
- Lillian Axe
- Bad Religion
- CMX

There really is quite some music worth beyond metal ;)

SixGun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 pm 

Got huge into post-punk in my late teens early 20s. Stuff like - The Sound, Swell Maps, Magazine, Television, Pere Ubu, Wire, Wipers, The Fall, Mission of Burma. Still love a lot of it.

I dug into a lot of old rockabilly as well as pre-war acoustic blues. For rockabilly stuff like Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran, Charlie Feathers, Presley, Gene Vincent. Love a lot of old hard bop jazz, pretty much any of the blue note stuff.

Last edited by SixGun on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:30 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:

Looking back at this post is funny after you get someone saying Clawfinger. :lol:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 am 

I have to add that, for the most part, this thread is actually pretty nice in that no one is shitting on other people's tastes. Well done, internet.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next