Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:47 pm 

Ok so having now watched Fateful Findings and Double Down, this Neil Breen is *WAY* worse than Wiseau.
There's a bit of a pattern in having a delusional idiot write himself as the flawless hero lead, but where Wiseau dabbles, Breen jumps in head first.
Still haven't seen I Am Here.... Now and I think I might have to save it for a special occasion.

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:45 am 

This is is a bit off topic , but I was thinking it would be great to host a total train wreck ( for lack of a better term ) event that would feature Tommy Wiseau , Neil Breen , Tom Green , and ( perhaps ) Crispin Glover making speeches to a crowd about whatever they wanted to . It could take place under the name of " Bad Movies Bash Night " and it would start off with Wiseau giving a speech about The Room/psychology while Tom Green would run around wearing a cheese helmet . Then Neil Breen could enter and do his thing , followed by Crispin Glover in his Letterman era getup . What would result could very well turn out to be a comedy skit for the ages .

Maybe the show could fade out via the Amazing Atheist getting on stage and singing his songs or doing a rant about religion/politics . At any rate an event like that would be ( potentially ) awesome and I'd pre order a ticket if it ever came to materialize .

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am 

Turner wrote:
Ok so having now watched Fateful Findings and Double Down, this Neil Breen is *WAY* worse than Wiseau.
There's a bit of a pattern in having a delusional idiot write himself as the flawless hero lead, but where Wiseau dabbles, Breen jumps in head first.
Still haven't seen I Am Here.... Now and I think I might have to save it for a special occasion.

I downloaded Double Down from YouTube but still haven't watched it. Watched Fateful Findings twice though with different people.

Breen and Wiseau have a lot of similarities. Breen spends all his time painting himself as some kind of ultimate moral superiority, but hey, so did Wiseau. Literally about a third of the dialog in The Room was just talking about "what a great guy Johnny (Wiseau's character) is" and similar rhetoric. We were constantly reminded that Lisa is "so beautiful" and that Johnny was "so amazing and good for everyone." Well done guys, you wrote vehicles for your own egos with no subtlety at all, ha ha!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am 

I Am Here.... Now feels the most like an actual movie, in that there's something of a plot propelling things forward. It's still a complete Breen nightmare of ego and incompetence, but it may be his finest from a technical standpoint. Still need to see Pass Thru though.

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 pm 

Our man seems to not be thrilled by the whole Disaster Artist project : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwpMVJ9oog

He hasn't taken any legal action against the creators of the book or the movie , so that's a bit of a good sign .

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 pm 

Gene Chode wrote:
Our man seems to not be thrilled by the whole Disaster Artist project : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwpMVJ9oog

He hasn't taken any legal action against the creators of the book or the movie , so that's a bit of a good sign .

That's funny because he's in that movie.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am 

I actually went to school with a guy who has met him.

He said he was actually a pretty interesting guy in person.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:57 pm 

If Tommy Wiseau was a metalhead, what bands do you think he'd listen to?

He seems like a Type O Negative kind of guy to me.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:04 am 

He looks like bizarro world Peter Steele.

I watched Fateful Findings for the first time in full a couple days ago. My god, this movie makes The Room look like actual Citizen Kane. It might just be the most inept movie I've ever seen in my life, but less in an explicitly "funny bad" way that The Room is and more a mix of "funny bad" and "I'm wasting my time watching this bad".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 am 

Subrick wrote:
He looks like bizarro world Peter Steele.

I watched Fateful Findings for the first time in full a couple days ago. My god, this movie makes The Room look like actual Citizen Kane. It might just be the most inept movie I've ever seen in my life, but less in an explicitly "funny bad" way that The Room is and more a mix of "funny bad" and "I'm wasting my time watching this bad".

I showed Fateful Findings to my mom, brother, and kid recently. It definitely has that borderline feel of "hilariously bad" and "wasting time" mix. I think the wasting time element comes from the shots where nothing is happening and he's just filling time with scenery. But whenever dialog is happening, it's pretty amazing. Like The Room, it becomes really repetitive to pad time, but it has such a great payoff.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE BANK SHOOTS HIMSELF.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:56 pm 

He very, very slowly shoots himself.

Also, the entire scene with the neighbor woman shooting her husband, the daughter finding out, and Neil Breen wiping the guy's blood on his face is the new best bad movie scene ever. It's the "I did naht heet hur!" scene from The Room up to a million.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 pm 

Subrick wrote:
He very, very slowly shoots himself.

Also, the entire scene with the neighbor woman shooting her husband, the daughter finding out, and Neil Breen wiping the guy's blood on his face is the new best bad movie scene ever. It's the "I did naht heet hur!" scene from The Room up to a million.

I would say it's more like this scene:
Youtube: show

"How could you commit suicide?....I can't help you out of this one Jim" :lol:

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

I can't see Wiseau anymore without remembering that one comic that claimed he was DB Cooper. It was a joke, but it just makes so much sense.

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm 

The official trailer for Disaster Artist is out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKX2tE5Luk

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 am 

Looks like we will get to see the Room Full Of Spoons documentary after all.
Obliteration

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 pm 

The defining moment of Tommy Wiseau is the sex scene in The Room where he keeps trying to grab the actress's boob, and she keeps batting his hand away. That's what the guy is all about: trying to use his work as a way to get some action (sex, fame, etc) and getting shot down because he's too much of a creepy weirdo.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:46 am 

This deserves more attention!

Youtube: show

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=89RP0oPEiv0

This is a must watch parody.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:12 am 

I dunno about Big Shark. The vibes of self-awareness are pretty damn strong, which could seriously undermine how funny it could be. I'll probably watch it anyway, but self awareness seemed to be creeping into the latest Neil Breen movie to at least some degree and it does take away some of the magic.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:34 pm 

I'll be honest, shit like this just makes me roll my eyes. Shit like The Room only works when you came across it at the video store or on some shitty television channel at 1 AM and you and your friend laughed at what in the hell you were watching and you moved on with your lives. Now it's a trend and a meme, Tommy Wiseau is halfway to a household name, and your grandpa is now on his tablet going "HaHa So BaD It'S GoOd".

The joke's dead. Tommy Wiseau was once funny precisely because he was just a "normal" guy trying to make a movie and miserably failing and someone should tell him that's as far as it goes and he should go back into the shadows (of course he won't, because $$$). Now he's a self-aware caricature who has been endlessly enabled by a culture obsessed with being awkward and ironic and it's just annoying.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 am 

UHH HAY

GLENN DANZIG APPARENTLY MADE THE ROOM OF HORROR ANTHOLOGIES.

Any Chicago folks get a chance to go see this?

Some great moments from the article:

Quote:
“You guys laughed in some of the places I wouldn’t have, but that’s cool,” Danzig said when he took the stage. (This may be a slight paraphrase—I was rushing to write it down in the gleeful aftermath of this apparently accidental comedy.) This wasn’t quite the willful misunderstanding of a Tommy Wiseau, but it wasn’t far off. Danzig has made what, in his mind, is a deeply serious tribute to the horror anthology films of the ’60s and ’70s; he name-checked Mario Bava in particular, which was apt, as it often felt like Verotika was a Christopher Guest-level attempt to send up the operatic horror of that era.

Quote:
During one scene, a random woman has a conversation with a man in a darkened alley, and then the camera pulls back to reveals she’s having a casual chat with an eight-armed spider creature, who then snaps her neck. Cut to the news anchor describing the scene, and saying the killer is being called “The Neckbreaker.” It’s spectacular.

Quote:
But the last segment may be the worst (read: best) of all, a period piece about a medieval queen who bathes in the blood of virgin girls she executes to stay youthful. It resembles low-rent cosplay, below even what you see in Syfy movie-of-the-week tripe, and features scenes that go on so long, you wonder if it must be a joke. Then Glenn Danzig comes onstage after the credits roll and assures you it’s not. “I don’t wanna direct some Academy Award piece of shit,” he tells the crowd, and he clearly means it.

Quote:
All I want to do is watch this movie again, with as many of my friends as I can assemble. Glenn Dan-zigged where he should have Dan-zagged, and for that we should all be profoundly grateful.

I have got to see this fucking movie.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2