* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 pm 

Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66
Quote:
Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and put on life support, reports TMZ.

Petty rose to fame in the 1970s with his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The group put out several hits, including "American Girl," "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," "Breakdown," "Listen to Her Heart" and more. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Petty was also a successful solo artist and sang the megahit "Freefallin'."

Being into punk for so long, I never cared for Tom Petty until recently. But this is a hard one because several of my friends were/are big fans. He's also one of the guys who helped me get into stoner rock/metal, oddly enough, because he did blues rock so well.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:15 pm 

God damnit.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 79696.html

This article says there are conflicting reports and that he may not yet have been pronounced dead. We'll just have to wait for more information, hopefully it isn't true...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm 

Whether or not he has actually passed yet, it seems like it's going to be soon. It's a shame. One of the best song writers of our time. I'm pretty bummed I never got to see him live. I almost did this past July. I was in Toronto for the Metallica WorldWired show, and he was playing the night before at the ACC. My brother and I tried to get tickets, but scalpers were asking for around $140 for poor seats. We ended up going to see Maiden and Ghost instead (for a fraction of the cost). Kind of wishing I would have just paid it now.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 pm 

Oh I hope not. Last time he was here I opted not to go, figuring he'd be back, so I could get some overtime at work. I feel like such a bastard.
Last time I did that was for Anal Cunt, and then...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 am 

Mutterficker wrote:
Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66
Quote:
Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and put on life support, reports TMZ.

Petty rose to fame in the 1970s with his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The group put out several hits, including "American Girl," "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," "Breakdown," "Listen to Her Heart" and more. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Petty was also a successful solo artist and sang the megahit "Freefallin'."

Being into punk for so long, I never cared for Tom Petty until recently. But this is a hard one because several of my friends were/are big fans. He's also one of the guys who helped me get into stoner rock/metal, oddly enough, because he did blues rock so well.

Back when I was a kid I used to listen to my dads Tom Petty cassettes; he had Hard Promises, and of course–Damn the Torpedoes. I'll be having a drink and playing those records on full blast, later... I think that Petty gets a mention in the last Metallica, Reload review.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 am 

This blows. R.I.P.

Spinning The Traveling Wilburys in his honor, even more remarkable since it happens to be one of the very few "supergroup" efforts that actually managed to be pretty damn great.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 am 

As I said elsewhere, bummer. And the first Traveling Wilburys album is indeed entertaining, though I wish they'd given it a bit more grit.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am 

It has been made official now unfortunately:

Quote:
UPDATE: After Tom Petty’s death was prematurely reported earlier on Monday by CBS News, while the rocker was still clinging to life, the longtime manager of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers has now confirmed that Petty passed away on Monday evening (Oct. 2)

http://loudwire.com/tom-petty-dead-66/

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am 

While I've always been a fan of Petty, it wasn't until just now that I realized HOW MANY songs I love he wrote. One of the best songwriters of his time, and it's a shame he's gone. Gonna be spinning Petty the rest of the day.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:07 pm 

Damn that's sad news. Of all the music my dad grew up with and passed down to me as a kid, Tom Petty stays my favourite. I guess this one is fitting to share in tribute:

Now, off to watch some King of the Hill, heavy on episodes featuring Mr. Petty's character Lucky.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 pm 

Damn, this blows. I've only really gotten into Tom Petty this past year, but he's a fantastic songwriter. Damn the Torpedoes has been in heavy rotation for me ever since I discovered it. Kinda sad I was too broke to see him, he came through a few months ago.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 pm 

Quote:
Tom Petty's autopsy results are in, and they show the singer died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

The L.A. County Coroner says a number of Tom's organs failed due to "mixed drug toxicity."

Tom's autopsy report shows the singer was on several pain meds, including Fentanyl patches, oxycodone (Oxycontin), temazepam (Restoril), alprazolam (Xanax), citalopram (Celexa), acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl. The reason doctors prescribed the meds was because of a number of medical problems, including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/19/tom-petty ... -overdose/
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm 

Goddamn, I didn't realize he'd had that many physical problems. Terrible stuff.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 am 

Oh yeah, that Citalopram probably really helped to do him in as much as the Fentanyl :roll:

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:06 pm 

That is quite the buffet opiates he had going there, jeez no chance.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm 

Seems like high-profile types have access to these doctors that just write anything that a normal bloke would never get unless you were coming out of surgery or something. Some doctors around here take cash and then write whatever. I know that for a fact, one just got busted a week or so ago. I understand the pain meds for the injuries, but mixing multiple benzos (xanax is short acting, temazepam more for sleep) with opiates is a death sentence. Plus no idea where the fentanyl is coming from other than the patch, which only disperses a tiny amount over time. I was given fentanyl IVed once when I had kidney stone surgery. Felt the same as morphine, but its one of those things you rarely see out of a hospital.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic