Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:37 am 

I figured I'd start a topic separate from the Movie thread to see if anyone else here is a fan of the Oscars. I know people either tend to love the awards, or fucking despise them with no in between. I fall into the category of people that really enjoy Oscar season. I understand people's arguments that it's skewed, it's a bunch of rich people stroking their own egos/patting their own backs, but I've found over time that they USUALLY get it right (at least in terms of my tastes) for what some of the best pictures of the season are.

Does anyone else here try to see as many nominees as they can before the ceremony? Last year is the closest I've ever come, when I saw every single film (Including the 15 shorts) except one feature documentary. Use this thread to post what nominations surprised you (snubs? overrated?) and who you hope takes home the awards or predictions. Please save from posting rants about how much the Oscars suck and are pointless. I understand your point of view, but I'd rather keep the topic on the films. If I'm the only one here, I'll get the point.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 am 

Boss Baby for Best Animated Feature of the year. Gutted The Emoji Movie wasn't even nominated. Oh the humanity!!!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 am 

Kind of interesting to see a movie based off a superhero comic book get nominated for best screenplay I guess.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 am 

As a Metalhead, as an educated person, and as a MAN; I despise and abominate these industry shill awards for all eternity! I will not be watching: EVER!

:panda: :panda: :panda:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 am 

They nominated Boss Baby over Your Name, Mary and the Witch's Flower, In This Corner of the World, and A Silent Voice. And they want to be taken seriously?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:10 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Kind of interesting to see a movie based off a superhero comic book get nominated for best screenplay I guess.

I haven't watched Logan yet, but it's on my list. I haven't seen many of the X-Men films besides the first one made in like, 2000. I'm hoping the narrative is clear enough to still enjoy without seeing all 9 or 10 that came before it.

Zelkiiro wrote:
They nominated Boss Baby over Your Name, Mary and the Witch's Flower, In This Corner of the World, and A Silent Voice. And they want to be taken seriously?

The Boss Baby nomination has almost everyone shaking their head/infuriated. Of all the categories that get fucked up, animated feature is the most consistently fucked. They've only given the award to a non-children's film once (Spirited Away).

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm 

jimbies wrote:
They've only given the award to a non-children's film once (Spirited Away).

Even that's really a "for all ages" type of movie too.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm 

jimbies wrote:

I haven't watched Logan yet, but it's on my list. I haven't seen many of the X-Men films besides the first one made in like, 2000. I'm hoping the narrative is clear enough to still enjoy without seeing all 9 or 10 that came before it.

It sort of takes place outside of the original story arc, so you're good.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm 

schizoid wrote:
jimbies wrote:
They've only given the award to a non-children's film once (Spirited Away).

Even that's really a "for all ages" type of movie too.

Last year, they snuck in nominations for "The Red Turtle" and "My Life as a zucchini", which weren't. But I know what you mean, they've never given it to a full blown non-kids film. I'm really pulling for Loving Vincent this year. (Although, I still have a couple others to see, and the Breadwinner is one of them).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 pm 

I'm really glad The Shape of Water got a lot of nominations. It totally deserves them, but del Toro tends to be overlooked by the Academy, and lately he's been doing more blockbuster type movies.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:46 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I'm really glad The Shape of Water got a lot of nominations. It totally deserves them, but del Toro tends to be overlooked by the Academy, and lately he's been doing more blockbuster type movies.

Well deserved. The Shape Of Water may be one of his most accessable works, but it's really awesome. Sally Hawkin's performance is great.

I knocked Icarus off the list tonight. Holy shit, did that director get more than he bargained for, or what?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 pm 

jimbies wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Well deserved. The Shape Of Water may be one of his most accessable works, but it's really awesome. Sally Hawkin's performance is great.

I knocked Icarus off the list tonight. Holy shit, did that director get more than he bargained for, or what?

More accessible than Blade 2, Hellboy, Pacific Rim or Mimic? :lol: I haven't seen Crimson Peak or Shape of Water, but other than that I've never liked a single Del Toro film, Pan's Lab being a very notable non-exception.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 pm 

I'm sure no one's surprised you don't like Del Toro lol

I liked Shape of Water but not as much as some of his other movies, especially Pan's Labyrinth which will probably always be his masterpiece, at least for me. SoW was good though, better than Crimson Peak, but I dunno, just didn't feel like the sum of its parts for whatever reason.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:
jimbies wrote:

More accessible than Blade 2, Hellboy, Pacific Rim or Mimic? :lol:

To be honest, I haven't seen any of those films you mentioned, but I was just going on the story arc of it being a love story similar to Beauty and The Beast.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:52 am 

I'm a big Oscar follower and watch all the movies, I agree that some movies should not be nominated at all and surely some had been snubbed big time.

My top 5 movies of 2017 so far, with or without oscars:

Wind River
Blade Runner 2047
The Kingsman Golden Circle
Mudbound
3 Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:56 am 

Shape of Water, I hope wins the Oscar just because I want a movie where a woman fucks a fish man to be the first big Oscar win of the Donald Trump years.

But seriously, Three Billboards is my favorite film up there and Get Out is probably the most deserving given our current climate here and the issues that have mattered to people.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:52 am 

Yahko wrote:
I'm a big Oscar follower and watch all the movies, I agree that some movies should not be nominated at all and surely some had been snubbed big time.

How is your count so far? I'm at:

Full Length: 28/44 (16 left)
Shorts: 5/15 (10 left)

Going to watch the Hungarian film "On Body And Soul" next.

Reply to topic