Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:32 am 

I'm digging it. I haven't heard all the songs but 7empest, the title track, Invincible, and Pneuma are all good to my ears. And yeah this is most definitely prog rock/metal that isn't heavier than like, Oceansize. 13 year wait (I haven't heard more than 2 songs from 10,000 Days, maybe I should listen to that now) and it's good.

edit: and Night Verses. Sounds very much like Night Verses.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I see, bands change therefore it's automatically good.

First, brother droneriot, that's a false summary of what I said. Second, lumping me in with kluseba is downright catty! *clutches pearls*

Change is not automatically good. Change is something I've happened to enjoy about Tool's work, and Mournful Congregation's (who I referenced in my post for similar reasons). Obviously that doesn't stand for all bands, and that is why your summary is false. Blut Aus Nord is a perfect example. I haven't liked their later work as much as their earlier work, and that's disappointing, but that's evolution for you. They don't suddently become a sucky band because their later albums aren't to my taste. That's evolution for you. We have to expect it, and deal with the consequences. Holding any artist to old standards is short-sighted and kinda dumb, regardless of your opinion of their latest output.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:27 pm 

I don't hink Tool have changed much. Most of the new songs could be in Lateralus.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:06 pm 

The whole change is automatically good no it's bad no it's good discussion sounds like a 2003 message board spat.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:03 am 

I just got my special edition CD that I splurged 40 bucks on, and hoe-lee-shit what an album packaging. It's not a jewel case, but the cardboard packaging that's more and more common. Usually I prefer a jewel case but here it's acceptable due to how much shit they wanted to include. It opens up to 3 panels, with the left panel having an insertion for the booklet and the right for the album. The booklet is massive, lots of awesome artwork, great photos of the band. The album itself is carried in its own, separate slip, which is nice because otherwise you get in that situation where the cd risks getting scratched each time you take it out. The center has a fucking mini tv powered by a battery that plays this crazy slideshow a whole bunch of different artwork. Seriously, this is without a doubt the most complete album I've ever bought. The amount of shit they packed into it is incredible!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:07 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
The center has a fucking mini tv powered by a battery that plays this crazy slideshow a whole bunch of different artwork.

That's ridiculous. :nono:

KomaOvTrollz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 am 

10/10.

ckonte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm 

Guys, do you really think it's a masterpiece? Honestly I'm really disappointed. I will listen to it again and I hope I'll change my mind, but this is what I think now.
Danny's doing too much, he doesn't leave much space to the others and the rhythm constantly creates tension without releasing it.
Adam did a really good job on the guitar, but probably there's something wrong with the mixing because the volume is too loud and when it's too loud you cannot increase it to inject more energy when needed.
I can barely hear Maynard's voice in the background, is he still the front man?
Only Justin did what he is supposed to do: playing good basslines.
Btw it's definitely prog metal.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:55 pm 

Tool has never clicked for me before, and I absolutely love this record. I'll revisit the old albums in a few weeks after I have more time with this one.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
For the xenophobes in the room, tablas are not "tribal drums."

Thanks for starting off by saying I'm a racist, great way to really get that point across that you need to be a true appreciator of high art to listen to Tool. Sorry I didn't know that drum, interesting wiki on its origin though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabla

Though, since Tool is using it like they have for years, does that make them cultural appropriators? Do they lose social justice points along with me, or should I just cancel myself now? I know I'm evil because I'm a: Image

but I need guidance on just what massive swath of humanity I absolutely abhor because I mentioned a drum that I'm not intimately familiar with.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Responding to the sentiment, not the poster.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
It bears mentioning that it's different to listen to bands retroactively than contemporarily. I've been listening to Tool right along. No one reflects the spirit of the Rennaisance like they do. Youtube is laughably poor at communicating the strength and immersion of their live shows. In those spaces, it's easy to see that there's something large at work. They're very much an exemplar of the power of the idea.

Attention to detail is craft. And central of the development of craft is change. Undermining your art to suit other people is the true failure, not change. It sucks for purists, but bands will change. Their perspectives change, they'll look at their past work under a different light and revisit or revise it or abandon it. I've always admired the band's devotion to refinement and development of themselves as people. The band itself is a tool they use to accomplish work, and it's not the only thing they do with their time. They've been making music for 30-odd years. They're all in their 50s. It isn't surprising that people making art that long will change the mode of expression, and that people living that long will have mellowed. In fact, it's unrealistic and short-sighted to think or wish that they wouldn't.

Personally, I find the new music beautiful. It reminds me of The Incubus of Karma in that the approach is signature, but they've obviously grown. It's clear they've walked away from the "obligation" to be dark, morose, and intense in favor of exploring more romantic, epic, and gentle facets of themselves. Expression evolves.

It's my age speaking: I understand that change. How do you make dark, angry, intense art when you're comfortable, centered, indulging in sensitive tenderness and simplicity, with no significant internal conflicts anymore -- being thankful that those tumultuous times are over, that you have a different set of goals, gratified that you've put in the personal effort over a long period of time to make that so?

Beef has had its day. There are plenty of other things to eat. Obsession with grit, darkness, and intensity is by definition a narrow-minded view of life.

Thanks for also letting me know I'm narrow-minded because I liked "Parabola", "The Patient", and "Right in Two" over this album. Clearly Tool wasn't out to compromise their own vision since they didn't work for much a timetable anyway. I'd say central to Tool's change over that period was a growing disinterest as Maynard went off to two totally divergent groups and got his prima donna fix. The rest of the band, I don't know but they probably weren't rotting in front of a mixing board that entire time. This album has been "thirteen years in the making" and though it's cohesive I wouldn't say that it was worth that kind of wait and I'm glad I wasn't bating my breath for it.

Did anyone pre-order Duke Nukem Forever back in the day? That's about how I feel about this album. As a friend said, "it feels like it was stuck in development hell" but at least I wasn't duped into shelling out any cash.

Since it was my sentiment you're replying to, you're clearly talking about how I'm intellectually beset by xenophobia and bad taste for not getting in line with the Tool fanbase for this one. It couldn't be because it was a bare bones rehash of the most general aspects of Tool's sound. . . but with some more subtlety and nary a crescendo. It couldn't be that 'Fear Inoculum' is like watching something as polished and brimming with CGI as Avatar while its underlying reality is that it's Dances With Wolves in space and no pair of 3D glasses will make it any less inane. It couldn't also be that I've also grown in the thirteen years since I first heard 'Lateralus' and '10,000 Days' and the lack of THC in my system has made Tool lose its luster.

No, it's because I don't know how to appreciate Tool that I'm bored after listening to five ten minute long songs that are exactly the same thing.

Sometimes I like edging to endless build-ups. With this album I just wanted to cum and get to work. It'll probably grow on me a bit more but, like that latest A Perfect Circle album, there isn't much of a honeymoon phase with it. It's more a mitigating the disappointment sort of thing. I'm just glad a band like Isis isn't pulling something like this but at least Tool made some good elevator music.

So sayonara to you from the dumb xenophobe incapable of appreciating such a pinnacle of rock music as "Chocolate Chip Trip".

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm 

:ugh: This is why we can't have nice things.

Five_Nails wrote:
Thanks for starting off by saying I'm a racist

Being xenophobic has little to do with race. Racists are often xenophobic, but not all xenophobes are racist.

Five_Nails wrote:
Though, since Tool is using it like they have for years, does that make them cultural appropriators?

Yes, it does, and so what?

Five_Nails wrote:
Do they lose social justice points along with me, or should I just cancel myself now? I know I'm evil because I'm a white male:

Lol you triggered bro? No one was talking about race, cultural appropriation doesn't happen amongst xenophobes, it happens amongst people accepting of other cultures.

Five_Nails wrote:
(paraphrasing the post) I dont like the new tool album, but the older material is quality

I agree to disagree, and that's cool.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 pm 

yeah, this thread doesn't have much time left...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 pm 

Five_Nails wrote:
Since it was my sentiment you're replying to, you're clearly talking about how I'm intellectually beset by xenophobia and bad taste for not getting in line with the Tool fanbase for this one.

Huh. I'd forgotten you had also said that about tablas. That's interesting.

Like I said from the top, I just started musing on the original sentiment, reflecting on age and change and taking a little trip down memory lane..

So all the rest of that defensive noise has nothing to do with me.

Interesting question about cultural appropriation, though. Exotification, maybe, but I'd say not appropriation. I'm not sure if you know this, but Danny Carey trained with Aloke Dutta for a long time. Ragas are among the more rhythmically complex compositions available, and Danny Carey has always been interested in pushing the boundaries of his skill. So yeah, maybe some exotification, but considering the context, cultural appropriation is a stretch. You'd have an easier time arguing that George Harrison was culturally appropriative of a largely ambiguous South Asia than you would Danny Carey, since Carey's never adopted South Asian dress or philosophy or presentation the way Harrison did.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:53 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
Thanks for starting off by saying I'm a racist, great way to really get that point across that you need to be a true appreciator of high art to listen to Tool....Did anyone pre-order Duke Nukem Forever back in the day?....I just wanted to cum

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Five Nails's posts are MA treasures because it's just so damn fun to do this.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:37 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
Since it was my sentiment you're replying to, you're clearly talking about how I'm intellectually beset by xenophobia and bad taste for not getting in line with the Tool fanbase for this one.

Huh. I'd forgotten you had also said that about tablas. That's interesting.

Like I said from the top, I just started musing on the original sentiment, reflecting on age and change and taking a little trip down memory lane..

So all the rest of that defensive noise has nothing to do with me.

Interesting question about cultural appropriation, though. Exotification, maybe, but I'd say not appropriation. I'm not sure if you know this, but Danny Carey trained with Aloke Dutta for a long time. Ragas are among the more rhythmically complex compositions available, and Danny Carey has always been interested in pushing the boundaries of his skill. So yeah, maybe some exotification, but considering the context, cultural appropriation is a stretch. You'd have an easier time arguing that George Harrison was culturally appropriative of a largely ambiguous South Asia than you would Danny Carey, since Carey's never adopted South Asian dress or philosophy or presentation the way Harrison did.

Lol, the one thing you attempt to seriously address is where I was trying to point out how ridiculous the whole cancel culture is with its incessant "our thing" idea despite how we're all supposed to homogenize at some point and disregard culture because we're all one human race. Doesn't matter, we can all divide like cells and end up being more a cancer on society, hence A Day to Remember.

Calling people narrow-minded for expecting Tool to be Tool when Tool ends up doing what Tool does in a boring way that puts off a listener is just a vapid viewpoint.

You can call it a renaissance, sure. The band came back, but boy did the band come back in a 60 year Zeppelin wheelchair reunion way rather than dropping a bit of majesty on the masses that so awaited the anticipated return.

The band also redid what it always did, but they didn't do it in a more artsy way, just a breathier and wider one that ended up being as long in the tooth as the fandom's escalating shirt size. They never broke the rock barometer that the band was considered to be transcending in the first place. The band just baroque its own sing-song format and ended up tepid in plenty of places. We get it, you can play seven notes and then bounce three bass notes off of them and call it an esoteric rhythm. Nile plays unusual scales but they do it so fast that it blends into boring as well at times.

What's most relevant about the band's boredom is when it comes to lyrics like "warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential" in spite of the lilting guitar and bass combo that graces every song with its curt almost anthemic rise. Is that song really as relevant as to be about a random Iraq war vet coming home to an empty house, dead dog, and adult kid who resents him after an endless war that he didn't vote for or is it about Maynard himself after years of barely giving a shit about the band that gave him a winery where he wants to be rather than at a Tool concert surrounded by asshats? Maybe he's "beating tired bones" trying to knock some esoteric anomalies from his skull to barely sing into a microphone. Does he really want to belt out the same 'Lateralus' lines again or do you think he'd rather play Sneaky Snake over some luchadores in Puscifer?
(Mind you, this whole concert is awesome, just total ridiculousness on stage with great sound. It makes the studio version of "Galileo" sound like garbage)

This unremarkable Tool album may as well be broken down by Patrick Bateman as he chops up a colleague and jellies the guy's grapes. Maynard's so hip to be square with Tool now only so he can finally work his farm without niggling Deadhead-lite passersby bitching him out. Now he can talk to Rogan once in a while and leave us all to die in the coming conflagration while also whining about how plastic the world that can't afford that lifestyle is on an A Perfect Circle album in peace. At least a line like "now Willy Wonka, Major Tom, Ali and Leia have moved on" worked on 'Eat the Elephant because it was a depressing time capsule.

The guy's a rock and roll success story, I love the dude even though I'm shitting on him and 'Fear Inoculum' does age like a good old home-cooked meatloaf, it's better the later you imbibe it. I should know. I make Meatloaf look like Slim Fast. Tool is great as well and they all deserve any accolades that they'll only get for their weakest album simply because they came back. You can tell that by the fact that award shows named not only Jethro Tull best heavy metal album back in the day but also Ghost not too long ago. This album is the band doing a 20 year reunion seven years too early and (luckily) is only a quarter as hokey as it could have been. Still, I'd rather smoke that quarter before hearing this album again to really appreciate it. Luckily, there's a legal state only a few minutes away so I'll see if it's as transcendent as people who wear silk screened wrenches on their backs unironically view it soon enough.

BastardHead wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
Thanks for starting off by saying I'm a racist, great way to really get that point across that you need to be a true appreciator of high art to listen to Tool....Did anyone pre-order Duke Nukem Forever back in the day?....I just wanted to cum

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Five Nails's posts are MA treasures because it's just so damn fun to do this.

:beer: Somebody gets the absurdity.

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."
-Jean de La Bruyère

Edit: Here's something amazing. A Perfect Circle live. They nailed it so hard that I fractured my tear-lubricated priapism (make that a metal status mods :P). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPO7e5i ... 8z&index=1

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:58 pm 

Looks like the album is projected to outsell T-Swizzler.

https://loudwire.com/tool-fear-inoculum ... lor-swift/

Haven't hear the whole thing yet, I definitely would like to check it out when I get the chance though.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Looks like the album is projected to outsell T-Swizzler.

https://loudwire.com/tool-fear-inoculum ... lor-swift/

Haven't hear the whole thing yet, I definitely would like to check it out when I get the chance though.

Arrg, fucking great. If it's topping the streaming/album charts everywhere, sure as anything we're gonna have yet another generation of people who dare to call themselves "metalheads" yet have little to no appreciation for people who play genuine forms of the genre.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am 

Ah I saw on FB the other day that Taylor Swift fans were apparently throwing a fit over "some unknown band" dethroning her, so now I know what was meant by that.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:10 pm 

The whole beef with Taylor Swift is idiotic. Tool fans are way more pissed and annoying. The funniest part is some of them are celebrating "Tool album sold more" without realizing her album has been out longer and has sold a lot more than Tool's album. "Tool on track to beat Taylor lmao", yeah sure. Who cares?

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 pm 

The album is great. Absolute killer. Great riffs, great drumming, great bass libes and great singing, but the best thing here is the atmosphere the album creates. Great vibe. Tool did it again.
Not hearsay but the will of man

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
The whole beef with Taylor Swift is idiotic. Tool fans are way more pissed and annoying. The funniest part is some of them are celebrating "Tool album sold more" without realizing her album has been out longer and has sold a lot more than Tool's album. "Tool on track to beat Taylor lmao", yeah sure. Who cares?

I gotta give this weird little feud props for making the Billboard 200 relevant for the first time in nearly a decade.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 am 

Only bit of the album I was disappointed by was the first half of Pneuma, and that was mostly just due to MJK's singing and melody seeming uninspired to me. Every other song stood at the top if their disco (aside from the filler tracks, but you're lying to yourself if you think Tool's filler tracks have ever NOT been straight trash), and it may well be my favorite album of theirs. While there's no The Grudge, Parabola or Lateralus (though Invincible comes pretty damned close), there's also no Ticks and Leeches.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:20 am 

I listened to the album a few times over the weekend, and I was absolutely blown away. I think that 'Becoming' and 'Invincible' stood out the most to me, and '7empest' really surprised me. That song sounds like it could be a lost track from Undertow! In my opinion, their discography was already flawless, and this album only adds to that. I wasn't holding my breath for this album, because it didn't seem like it was going to happen for a while, but I'm damn sure glad that it did. They killed it again! And honestly I hope this album does get to #1 on the charts. The fact that they were projected to beat Taylor Swift gave me some hope about the world.

I saw what a lot of y'all meant about Adam Jones really shining on this album. All the members really showcase their skill, but some of these parts were definitely really guitar driven, and they were some of the best riffs of Tool's career. That buildup with the heavy riff on 'Invincible' might be one of my favorites!

EDIT: Looks like it did make it to #1 in the US!

https://www.theprp.com/2019/09/08/news/ ... board-200/

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:39 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Only bit of the album I was disappointed by was the first half of Pneuma, and that was mostly just due to MJK's singing and melody seeming uninspired to me. Every other song stood at the top if their disco (aside from the filler tracks, but you're lying to yourself if you think Tool's filler tracks have ever NOT been straight trash), and it may well be my favorite album of theirs. While there's no The Grudge, Parabola or Lateralus (though Invincible comes pretty damned close), there's also no Ticks and Leeches.

Album is good in my ears even if the fillers are, as usual with Tool, garbage. :P

I listened to the album a few times over the weekend, and I was absolutely blown away. I think that 'Becoming' and 'Invincible' stood out the most to me, and '7empest' really surprised me. That song sounds like it could be a lost track from Undertow! In my opinion, their discography was already flawless, and this album only adds to that. I wasn't holding my breath for this album, because it didn't seem like it was going to happen for a while, but I'm damn sure glad that it did. They killed it again!

You mean Descending. :beer:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm 

I don't even know why I'm putting in my two cents since I've only ever been a very passive Tool listener, but I checked out the album and thought it was pretty good! Way overlong and Pneuma is a borefest throwaway track (as are the interludes) but pretty much all the other songs are varying degrees of dope, with the title track and Invincible as the highlights. They've always been more of a "songs" band to me anyway. If I ever listen to Tool it's only to throw on the individual hits like once or twice a year; I can never get through a whole album at once.

I still think they're hilariously overrated (which isn't exactly their fault) and that they have just about the worst fanbase on the planet (which also isn't entirely their fault) but at the end of the day Tool's an all right band in my book.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I listened to the album a few times over the weekend, and I was absolutely blown away. I think that 'Becoming' and 'Invincible' stood out the most to me, and '7empest' really surprised me. That song sounds like it could be a lost track from Undertow! In my opinion, their discography was already flawless, and this album only adds to that. I wasn't holding my breath for this album, because it didn't seem like it was going to happen for a while, but I'm damn sure glad that it did. They killed it again!

You mean Descending. :beer:

Wow, I was way off. I was actually talking about the second song, "Pneuma." I thought it was called "Becoming" because of one of the lyrics in the song. I haven't payed much attention to the song titles, because I've mostly listened to it in full so far.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 am 

Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:54 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
A band for 14-22 year olds.

The differences between a 14 and a 22 year old are monumental. What does this even mean? :lol:

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:44 pm 

It doesn’t mean anything, it’s just absolute horseshit posturing.
Obliteration

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:22 pm 

Im 42 and love every album.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 am 

Absolutely loving it, and I wasn’t keen on 10,000 Days.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 am 

Fuck it, this is just too good not to sig.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:11 am 

Yeah, most Tool fans I know are closer to the 30-45 demographic. You gotta factor in all those Gen Xers who grew up with Sober.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:08 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Yeah, most Tool fans I know are closer to the 30-45 demographic. You gotta factor in all those Gen Xers who grew up with Sober.

More or less that seems to be the case. I'm at the ceiling of that group and I became a fan right around 2000 or so. I was familiar with Sober like everyone else but it never really caught my attention. I bought the CD for Aenima around the time of its release, listened to some of it once, and chucked it in the pile. Wasn't until I seen A Perfect Circle that I revisited it, and that was that. Same thing happened with Neurosis where I circled back several years later.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:46 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Im 42 and love every album.

To be fair I'm 36 and I love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 am 

I really wanted to wait until I had time to sit down and really dig into this thing. I do still think 10,000 Days was a major step down, but I also realize that part of my lack of appreciation for that album likely stems from the fact that I was far removed from my Tool listening days when it came out and simply didn't give it the attention or listens that I gave to earlier albums. With the new one, I wanted to make sure I didn't give it that same unfair shake. Plus recently I've been revisiting Tool a lot anyway, so I feel like I'm in a better place to take this new album in and judge it.

All those plans fell through when I was hanging out with a friend over the weekend who turned it on in the car against my wishes. I heard roughly the first three tracks in order, albeit on not great car speakers, with conversation and road sounds muddying the experience. Even so, I liked what I heard more than 10,000 Days for sure. My friend commented that it was weird, and that Maynard's vocals felt too APC-ish. I had the same latter complaint about 10,000 Days, but while that could still be a criticism of what I heard here, I think it was less of an issue. Musically, sure, no crazy new ground being broken, but I was captivated far more than with the last album and couldn't wait to listen to the whole thing front to back (perhaps that's a task for tomorrow). Very promising so far.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:09 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
It doesn’t mean anything, it’s just absolute horseshit posturing.

It isn't really, and I'll tell you why. Every man and his dog listened to Tool back ........

I started listening to tool a couple years after lateralus was released. 2003 or 04. So no nostalgia in my case. I justthink they are a unique band

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:29 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next