Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:08 am 

Anybody into 70's progressive rock? I'm listening to some Yes now and I honestly think Close To The Edge is one of the best albums of all time. I've been listening to some King Crimson lately, and some other cool stuff like Camel, Van Der Graaf Generator, Genesis (Gabriel era), Floyd, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and of course, RUSH! Anybody got some really obscure 70's prog rock recommendations? I just started listening about a month ago and I'm hungry to listen to more.

Also related to the discussion... Anybody got a personal favorite 70's prog group? Mine is currently a tie between Yes, Genesis and Rush. Camel is underrated, Mirage is one of the best prog records of all time for me.

Post your thoughts on prog, I'd like to hear some recommendations and see what you guys think about the classic prog records. I even dare say I'm starting to enjoy prog rock just as much as metal!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 am 

Not '70s progressive rock, but they sound like they could've come from that era—a little-known Norwegian band called Anti-Depressive Delivery. They put out three albums, with their second and third being my personal favourites (as well as their most progressive rock–sounding).

And as for my favourite of the old-school bands: King Crimson is the obvious one. I love everything from "In the Court of the Crimson King" to their almost-post-punkish '80s albums ("Discipline," "Beat," "Three of a Perfect Pair"). You can hear such a vast spectrum of styles and moods. I'd love to see them live, but tickets are ridiculously expensive.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 am 

Van Der Graaf Generator is easily my favourite prog rock band from the "classic" era. Godbluff is one of the greatest albums of all time and the other 4 of the golden streak (1970-1976) certainly hold their own.
Not really all that obscure, but here's a few 70's prog gems I cherish:

Aphrodite's Child - 666
A massive mind-bending opus of different soundscapes.

Arachnoïd - Arachnoïd
One of the heaviest prog rock albums of the era. Growl-esque vocals and is really in your face at its most most Zeuhl-like moments.

Peter Hammill's solo stuff
If you're into VDGG, I definitely suggest you check out the 70's catalogue of Hammill's solo work. The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage is especially a diamond.

Lucifer's Friend - S/T & Where The Groupies Killed the Blues
The self-titled is induced with hard rock and heavy psych and the latter is a little more experimental and jazzy. I guess it boils down to a personal preference. The consensus seems to be that S/T rules supreme but personally I enjoy Groupies way more.

Made in Sweden - Where Do We Begin
Probably the easiest of these suggestions. Reminiscent of Pekka Pohjola's solo stuff (he plays the bass here also, absolutely check his 70's solo efforts, they're fucking sublime), it's a nordic supergroup with some poppy prog songs and a few morecomplex jazz rock showoff stuff.

Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning, Turn of the Cards, Scheherazade and Other Stories
Divine symphonic prog. Check "Mother Russia" for a reference song.

Univers Zéro - Hérésie
Guys from Magma go dark. Oppressive yet awesome album.

And of course, the obvious ones not mentioned in your opening post like Jethro Tull, Magma, Gong, Wigwam...

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 pm 

For not so famous prog rock from the 70's, I'll contribute Ruphus, one of the earlier Scandinavian prog rock bands whose New Born Day album from 1973 is righteous. Gudny Aspaas's vocals would get most of the attention, and they are awesome, but Rune Sundby's male accompaniment is a decent enough foil. What I also like about them is that they have some heavy jams as well with some good distortion on the guitar depending on the song.

Not a full representation of their sound, but Gudny puts on one hell of a vocal showcase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AZBtcgx4Ss

As far as bigger names, I've always loved Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night. The world can always use more non-metal songs about Cthulhu and blowjobs performed by talented jazzy dudes. Pretty much their first five albums are all really cool to varying degrees, if a bit mellow at times, and If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You is still my favorite album title of all time.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:19 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning, Turn of the Cards, Scheherazade and Other Stories

Scheherazade is absolutely divine, though Turn of the Cards has never done much for me. A little-known favorite of mine is the S/T from Clear Blue Sky. They're the only prog band I've heard that are based in the blues, rather than jazz, and they're fantastic! The first track is a 17 minute long instrumental jam, but the rest of the album has vocals which are also great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_8wZjDEbA

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:38 pm 

I really like the band Neu! from Germany. It's proressive but also proto punk and metal. Amon Duul II is also great. If you want some weird german stuff, try Can and Faust. Ash Ra Temple and Popol Vuh are more electronic but really great. They also have indian influences. If you like something dark, listen to Popol Vuh album ''Nosferatu''. It's a movie soundrack.

I also like Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant.

The french band ''Magma'' is really weird. It's like a blend with Richard Wagner and a futuristic dystopia.

Days of Future Passed from ''The Moody Blues'' is really progressive and classical influenced.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:06 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Scheherazade is absolutely divine, though Turn of the Cards has never done much for me.

Turn of the Cards is probably my favorite of the bunch. Black Flame and Mother Russia are in the top 3 Renaissance songs, accompanied by Song of Scheherazade.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:45 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I really appreciate it. I will be sure to check out all those bands.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 pm 

Some Québecois "hidden" gems from the 70's maybe? Some are instrumental, some are sung in French and some are very close to jazz or classical.

Sloche

Spoiler: show

Maneige

Harmonium

Octobre

Morse Code

Fire walk with me"

Metalisepic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:22 am 

First off, since you seem to really enjoy symphonic prog bands, I urge you to check out the last Wobbler album. It was released last year but it's one of the best symphonic prog album out there.

I also strongly advise you to have a look at progarchives website. You'll find everything you need to know about prog music and classic prog artists/albums.

Anyway, here's a non exhaustive list of must-known prog bands/albums from the 70's that haven't been mentioned yet:
- Kansas - Leftoverture
- Eloy - Ocean
- Nektar - A tab in the ocean
- Can - Future days
- Hawkwind - Warrior on the edge of time

Some obscure bands from the 70's I would highly recommend. I'm more into psychedelic/space rock, crossover prog and krautrock than symphonic prog so don't expect to find any symph prog bands below.
- Atila - Reviure
- Gypsy - Gypsy
- Weed - Weed
- Ocean - God's clown

ThrashFanatic wrote:
Also related to the discussion... Anybody got a personal favorite 70's prog group?

Pink Floyd all the way! This band is a legend, they released in the 70's some of the finest music ever created and influenced today's music in so many ways. To me, the only prog albums that can equal the best PF albums are In the court of the Crimson King by King Crimson and Spirit of Eden / Laughing stock by Talk Talk (the latter being one of my all time favorite album but it was released more than 20 years after PF's Animals).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:20 pm 

On the odd side, there's Panta Rei

Obscure: Yezda Urfa, right in between Yes and Gentle Giant

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:25 pm 

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts, always be my favorite album of all time.

Currently I listen to Prog/Zeuhl.

My favorite artist are: Magma, Shub-Niggurath, Ruins, and Dün.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 pm 

Ferneyhough wrote:
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts, always be my favorite album of all time.

Currently I listen to Prog/Zeuhl.

My favorite artist are: Magma, Shub-Niggurath, Ruins, and Dün.

Hell yeah! Pawn Hearts is perfection. From "Lemmings", to "Man-Erg", and the 23 minute suite "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers", it doesn't get much better. I also really like "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" and "Godbluff". Peter Hammill is a genius!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:32 am 

This genre was my first contact with music, as my parents were huge fans of RPI bands like PFM, Le Orme, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso.. i remember them even singing some of their songs as lullabies when i was little more than a toddler :)

I'm a huge fan of a lot of the bands mentioned, and i must say that the best live show i've ever witnessed was by the swedish prog band Anglagard, who literally took the audience to another world with their first italian show.
I instantly run at the merch booth and bought everything i could, i was really spellbound.

Another classic not mentioned as often as it should be is the first Steve Hackett solo album, wich easily rivals the best material Genesis has put out

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:47 am 

I've always been a huge King Crimson fan having all of their albums and countless official bootlegs as a DGM member.

Besides KC I never got into that much 70's prog as I often found them not going "out" enough except for a lot of the RIO bands like Henry Cow. So I do like some prog, but my heart is really more with the avant-prog bands. The last Thinking Plague album was absolutely amazing and my #1 album of 2017.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:22 am 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
Hell yeah! Pawn Hearts is perfection. From "Lemmings", to "Man-Erg", and the 23 minute suite "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers", it doesn't get much better. I also really like "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" and "Godbluff". Peter Hammill is a genius!

Dude, every sec are worth, masterpiece, every songs are damn poetic and philosophical, probably most stuning progressive rock album ever created. Godbluff ?? Well another my favorite album, well it's the darkest album they ever created. Well that was my 2nd favorite album. But I still dont understand every veteran prog prefer Godbluff instead of Pawn Hearts..

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:16 am 

Ferneyhough wrote:
ThrashFanatic wrote:

Dude, every sec are worth, masterpiece, every songs are damn poetic and philosophical, probably most stuning progressive rock album ever created. Godbluff ?? Well another my favorite album, well it's the darkest album they ever created. Well that was my 2nd favorite album. But I still dont understand every veteran prog prefer Godbluff instead of Pawn Hearts..

Well, Godbluff is easily the most compact album they've put out. In my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to the chaotic madness of Pawn Hearts, but it's easy to see why anyone would pick its successor as their favourite. I'd also like to second Hammill's genius - only he could put out an album which features beautiful love songs, existential dirges and daemonic trips to Tophet, all in the same package.

One of my most played prog albums during the last few months has been this little gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5XP4-gmuQ

People like to knight Island as the "Swiss VdGG," and throw around comparisons like Gentle Giant and Zappa in their reviews, but I fail to see the justification of any of those comparisons. Their music is far too meandering, nimble, and playful to be talked about in the same context as VdGG - yet they're much more grandiose and eclectic than Gentle Giant, yet much more coherent than Zappa. If I had to draw some comparisons myself, I'd say they're somewhat close to what a fusion of Henry Cow's "Legend" and Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play" would've sounded like, if it had been performed by Wigwam.

In any case, Island's sole album is a veritable tour de force: each song is utterly different from each other, and the composition style is extremely spontaneous. Yet the songwriting doesn't feel haphazard, because the individual parts are so stylishly crafted - it's just that the way they're aligned is very unorthodox. This is why I compared them to HC's "Legend": both albums feature insanely technical playing and surprising compositions performed with enviable élan. "A Passion Play" comparison is justified if one pays attention to the themes themselves: they seem downright never-ending at times, and they are hardly repeated in a normal, song-writing fashion. Island rely more on the slight similarity of their themes, just like Tull did on APP. Also, like the music of APP, "Pictures" is both quirky yet menacing. Now, imagine this kind of music being played by a small ensemble of enfants terribles who love their Hammonds (Wigwam) and you've got the gist of what Island sound like.

A tricky album to get into, yet every time you piece something together while hovering through Island's musical maze, it feels incredibly rewarding.

I'd also like to recommend the sole album of the Swedish Kvartetten som sprängde, "Kattvals." One of those albums that isn't what people would commonly term prog, yet the spirit of the 70s is well displayed on the album, fusing folk and jazz in a very down-to-earth manner and relying more on the exploration of feeling rather than that of structure. Here's a song which relies on a chord progression which should suit any lover of Nordic music down to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QFj8R2Af4

Likewise, I'd like to suggest the fans of more mellow prog rock to check out Cressida's self-titled debut album: https://youtu.be/IkpyRZ5wJeM?t=1
Prog from the transitory year of 1970, when prog wasn't yet in full bloom. Such a delightfully English-sounding album, not too far removed from Caravan's debut album. Those organ layers will simply make prog-lovers slobber...

As a final piece of advice: listen to more Jethro Tull, everyone. And not only their indisputably best albums like TAAB, APP, and HH, but also to their more obscure releases, like Warchild, Too Old to Rock'n' Roll... and Broadsword, and remember to pay attention to the songwriting and the arrangements. They're simply divine.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:19 am 

Ferneyhough wrote:
ThrashFanatic wrote:

I agree 100%, I gotta say that besides Pawn Hearts and Godbluff, "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" is VDGG's other masterpiece! Especially the track "Refugees", that song is one of the most heartfelt, beautiful, deeply affecting songs I've heard in my entire life. It is impossible to hear the intro flutes without reaching for a box of tissues. "Man-Erg" is especially beautiful (from "Pawn Hearts" of course), the opening piano can be described in 5 words... PETER HAMMILL IS A GENIUS!!!

Also, I would like to mention Emerson, Lake & Palmer's masterpieces "Take A Pebble", "Tank", "Lucky Man", and of course "TARKUS"!!!!

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 am 

[/quote]Well, Godbluff is easily the most compact album they've put out. In my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to the chaotic madness of Pawn Hearts, but it's easy to see why anyone would pick its successor as their favourite. I'd also like to second Hammill's genius - only he could put out an album which features beautiful love songs, existential dirges and daemonic trips to Tophet, all in the same package.

One of my most played prog albums during the last few months has been this little gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5XP4-gmuQ

People like to knight Island as the "Swiss VdGG," and throw around comparisons like Gentle Giant and Zappa in their reviews, but I fail to see the justification of any of those comparisons. Their music is far too meandering, nimble, and playful to be talked about in the same context as VdGG - yet they're much more grandiose and eclectic than Gentle Giant, yet much more coherent than Zappa. If I had to draw some comparisons myself, I'd say they're somewhat close to what a fusion of Henry Cow's "Legend" and Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play" would've sounded like, if it had been performed by Wigwam.

In any case, Island's sole album is a veritable tour de force: each song is utterly different from each other, and the composition style is extremely spontaneous. Yet the songwriting doesn't feel haphazard, because the individual parts are so stylishly crafted - it's just that the way they're aligned is very unorthodox. This is why I compared them to HC's "Legend": both albums feature insanely technical playing and surprising compositions performed with enviable élan. "A Passion Play" comparison is justified if one pays attention to the themes themselves: they seem downright never-ending at times, and they are hardly repeated in a normal, song-writing fashion. Island rely more on the slight similarity of their themes, just like Tull did on APP. Also, like the music of APP, "Pictures" is both quirky yet menacing. Now, imagine this kind of music being played by a small ensemble of enfants terribles who love their Hammonds (Wigwam) and you've got the gist of what Island sound like.

A tricky album to get into, yet every time you piece something together while hovering through Island's musical maze, it feels incredibly rewarding.

I'd also like to recommend the sole album of the Swedish Kvartetten som sprängde, "Kattvals." One of those albums that isn't what people would commonly term prog, yet the spirit of the 70s is well displayed on the album, fusing folk and jazz in a very down-to-earth manner and relying more on the exploration of feeling rather than that of structure. Here's a song which relies on a chord progression which should suit any lover of Nordic music down to the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QFj8R2Af4

Likewise, I'd like to suggest the fans of more mellow prog rock to check out Cressida's self-titled debut album: https://youtu.be/IkpyRZ5wJeM?t=1
Prog from the transitory year of 1970, when prog wasn't yet in full bloom. Such a delightfully English-sounding album, not too far removed from Caravan's debut album. Those organ layers will simply make prog-lovers slobber...

As a final piece of advice: listen to more Jethro Tull, everyone. And not only their indisputably best albums like TAAB, APP, and HH, but also to their more obscure releases, like Warchild, Too Old to Rock'n' Roll... and Broadsword, and remember to pay attention to the songwriting and the arrangements. They're simply divine.[/quote]

Funny thing is that just mere hours before you wrote this comment, I discovered Island on YouTube and I love them. I have to reserve some time on my schedule to check out the full album, but I listened to bits and pieces and it's excellent! Got any other extremely obscure 70's prog for me to add to my playlist?

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 am 

Here's an eclectic, mostly-instrumental fivesome, not strictly 70s prog though:

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 pm 

Amon Duul II would probably appeal to someone who likes metal, especially the release "Yeti". It's heavy and depressive as hell for 1970 standards.

T2's "It'll All Work Out in Boomland" is another cool one from 1970, although it's not all heavy, the dynamics in their songs being one of their more distinctive points. The song "In Circles" is very heavy with a lot of jazz influence, especially in the drumming.

Samla Mammas Manna's "Maltid" is an interesting Swedish avant-prog record from 73, very winding song structures and falsetto vocals with some kinda heavy stuff.

Steel Mill's "Green Eyed God" from '72 is quite heavy and dark in places, especially on the songs "Blood Runs Deep" and "Treadmill", Treadmill in particular has nearly a doom metal riff. The rest isn't as heavy but is very interesting with some folky songs and flute giving it an exotic feel in places. Very unknown.

"Mirage" from Camel is probably the best of the Symphonic Prog scene (i.e. what people think of when they hear prog normally). Winding songs, very cool solos and passages and you can definitely hear how Iron Maiden got influence from stuff like this.

The next two aren't pure prog but are both tangential to progressive rock and came to being during the 70's.
First is Tangerine Dream's "Zeit" which is a space themed ambient record, but one of the best of it's kind, extremely enveloping and a great example of how different tones can create different atmospheres when placed on top of each other or in different sequences, in this context it's really a reflection of Modern Classical than anything else.

Second is This Heat's self titled from 1979. Some people call it Post-Punk but it's really an Avant-Prog record in places more than anything else. All of the songs sound different from each other, some being rock songs that are composed of different simple pieces and sounds that are put together in different ways (in a way it also is a product of Modern Classical) and some of the others are dark ambient pieces, some with vocals that sound like the vocalist is dead. Very dark stuff.

I could go on forever about prog but these are interesting ones that came to my mind right now.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:25 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
Samla Mammas Manna's "Maltid" is an interesting Swedish avant-prog record from 73,

I'm not big on Samla (although this TV live performance is wonderfully weird), but Snorungarnas Symfoni is amazing! It's sort of a rock/pop symphony written by Greg Fitzpatrick, who was not part of the band.
I never get tired of listening to this.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm 

Oh good stuff in this thread I'll add a few albums I've found recently:

Bo Hansson - Magician's Hat / Swedish straight forward prog, heavy on the fantasy themes. It is of course about Lord of the Rings but I wouldnt say it's cheesy in any way.
Besombes - Rizet - Pôle / Italian(?) Very atmospheric at times, heavy one the psychedelic end but still worth a listen for some less noodley songs.
Tabula Rasa - Ekkedien Tanssi / Finnish great softer sounding prog, vocals took some getting used to for me but in the end, solid jams.
Ekseption - Bingo / Nice heavy prog from the Netherlands with a great sounding Rhodes, which is always a plus. There's a pretty obvious Sabbath rip off riff in there somewhere which I thought was funny.
Maching Mole - Matching Mole's Little Red Book - I dont think I read anyone rec Soft Machine maybe since they are lean much more psych. The band Wyatt formed after he was left leaned more like "experimental" prog. (These two bands along with the entire Canterbury Scene are littered with great prog, but also a lot of filler. Worth delving into, National Health, early Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Comus...)
Eire Apparent - Produced by Hendrix with the band also thanking Robert Wyatt for "encouragement" so ... essential.

Last edited by iiix on Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:58 pm 

iiix wrote:
Ekseption - Bingo / Nice heavy German prog.

They are from the Netherlands though, unless you mean they play a German brand of prog?

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 am 

Don't forget about this album...

[Edit: I know this is not Progressive 'Rock' but I always end with Prog Nerd recommend me to this album as a masterpiece (it's about ritualistic, forest, occult and a litte bit disturbing, overall it's very enjoyable concept album]

Last edited by Sang Dalang Abu on Mon May 14, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:52 pm 

I'm going to attend an Arena concert in Quebec City in two weeks. It's the only place in North America where they will be giving a concert. The band is going to play the record The Visitor in its entirety. A friend of mine introduced me to the band and I like the band's short, diversified and atmospheric approach to the genre.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 pm 

Opus wrote:
iiix wrote:
Ekseption - Bingo / Nice heavy German prog.

They are from the Netherlands though, unless you mean they play a German brand of prog?

I put on this album today and realized that I labeled them German out of ignorance, So I just logged on here to change the post in hopes no one noticed.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:38 pm 

Sorry!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 pm 

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am 

I like a lot of stuff by Alan Parson's Project, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Rush and Yes. Gong are cool, too.

I mostly named the big players of the genre, but you gotta start somewhere.

Reply to topic