Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10079
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:01 pm 
 

Just saw Throbbing Gristle founding member Genesis P-Orridge passed away from leukemia yesterday. Probably one of the most influential musicians of our time.

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... dge/626616
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am
Posts: 501
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 pm 
 

Damn. I've never been a huge TG fan, but always enjoy it when I hear it, and, as you say, the influence is legion. RIP
_________________
The Party for Socialism and Liberation (PSL)|Our Program/What We Stand For|Liberation News|Join Us

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Veteran

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 2625
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:26 am 
 

This actually sucks for me. I was more of a Psychic TV fan than Throbbing Gristle, but I really liked a lot of the stuff he did with PTV. Back when I was in my most pure "if it aint metal and/or punk it's crap!" listening phase, I was really into Psychic TV for some wierd reason. The band crossed a ton of genres, including a lot of dance/techno stuff and a lot of really experimental sound-scape type stuff, but I was really into the rock-sounding stuff they did. Genesis P-Orridge was certainly a unique character, that's for sure.

Top
 Profile  
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:55 am
Posts: 1440
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:33 am 
 

Sad but not unexpected. Big TG fan, love COIL and Chris &Cosey but beyond force the hand or dreams less sweet I can take or leave PTV. I actually lived next door to someone who played drums on the Godstar single back in the day, and met lots of ex TOPY folks. The diplomatic thing would be to say "opinion was divided". Much to admire but I was always wary of the "cult of personality" aspect
_________________
Mike_Tyson wrote:
"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 871
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:02 am 
 

Rest In Power. A true genius and influential artist.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:22 am 
 

RIP. S/he was a visionary and changed the underground music forever.

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 545
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:15 pm 
 

I've seen chatter on Twitter of this person being a child abuser. Supposedly a few victims will be sharing their stories in the coming days/weeks.

Top
 Profile  
theniceprocess
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 pm 
 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I've seen chatter on Twitter of this person being a child abuser. Supposedly a few victims will be sharing their stories in the coming days/weeks.


It's true, everyone in the old industrial/post-industrial scene lowkey knew about it. But she got a pass from all the wokescolds throughout the metoo movement because she was genderfucky and LGBT-friendy.
Leukemia's horrible no matter who it happens to though.

Top
 Profile  
Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am
Posts: 501
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 am 
 

theniceprocess wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:
I've seen chatter on Twitter of this person being a child abuser. Supposedly a few victims will be sharing their stories in the coming days/weeks.


It's true, everyone in the old industrial/post-industrial scene lowkey knew about it. But she got a pass from all the wokescolds throughout the metoo movement because she was genderfucky and LGBT-friendy.
Leukemia's horrible no matter who it happens to though.


The notion that "genderfucky" and LGBT folks get a "pass" for abuse is wildly at odds with lived reality.
_________________
The Party for Socialism and Liberation (PSL)|Our Program/What We Stand For|Liberation News|Join Us

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:45 am 
 

Sedition and Pockets wrote:
theniceprocess wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:
I've seen chatter on Twitter of this person being a child abuser. Supposedly a few victims will be sharing their stories in the coming days/weeks.


It's true, everyone in the old industrial/post-industrial scene lowkey knew about it. But she got a pass from all the wokescolds throughout the metoo movement because she was genderfucky and LGBT-friendy.
Leukemia's horrible no matter who it happens to though.


The notion that "genderfucky" and LGBT folks get a "pass" for abuse is wildly at odds with lived reality.

Yeah, I thought the pass was mostly because the accusations were always kind of sketchy. I mean, Coil have been accused of being pedophiles since the 80s but it's pretty hard to distinguish if those accusations were based on real events or just nazi scum accusing every single LGTB musician of being a pedophile.

Top
 Profile  
Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 am
Posts: 501
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:21 am 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Sedition and Pockets wrote:
theniceprocess wrote:
It's true, everyone in the old industrial/post-industrial scene lowkey knew about it. But she got a pass from all the wokescolds throughout the metoo movement because she was genderfucky and LGBT-friendy.


The notion that "genderfucky" and LGBT folks get a "pass" for abuse is wildly at odds with lived reality.

Yeah, I thought the pass was mostly because the accusations were always kind of sketchy. I mean, Coil have been accused of being pedophiles since the 80s but it's pretty hard to distinguish if those accusations were based on real events or just nazi scum accusing every single LGTB musician of being a pedophile.


Yeah, this wasn't meant to be a commentary on the truth of accusations made against particular people, just noting that it's hard to credit the idea that trans a queer folk get a "pass" on abuse allegations when the reality is that those types of claims are routinely weaponized against us to justify everything from employment discrimination to murder.
_________________
The Party for Socialism and Liberation (PSL)|Our Program/What We Stand For|Liberation News|Join Us

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 am 
 

Sedition and Pockets wrote:
Yeah, this wasn't meant to be a commentary on the truth of accusations made against particular people, just noting that it's hard to credit the idea that trans a queer folk get a "pass" on abuse allegations when the reality is that those types of claims are routinely weaponized against us to justify everything from employment discrimination to murder.

Just to clarify, I agree with everything you said. I was just adding more information so the poster who said s/he gets a pass could understand the situation.

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 5013
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:41 am 
 

saw psychic tv a couple years back and it wasnt very good or anything but obviously tremendously influential musician rip.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10079
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 am 
 

Gabriel "Gabi" Delgado-López of electronic music pioneers DAF died as well, kind of fits this thread because of the related style of music. Was never much of a fan but a lot of good bands cite them as a big influence. RIP.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lord_Jotun and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group