Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/threatin-update-live-footage-of-empty-uk-show-hilarious-wikipedia-bio-fake-news-conspiracies-from-fan-club

The article above addresses how they call the picture of them playing to an empty room a 'sound check,' meaning he's still not owning up to what he did despite all this proof. He goes on to say in another post, "This was just a soundcheck pic taken by a paparazzi .The actual gig rocked the house down and the fans went crazy. See for yourself on the upcoming shows." And my favorite: "Threatin gigs have all been great actually. Only fake haters are spreading illegal gossip trying to ruin the tour." :lol:

Haha, those Tweets were by a Threatin "fan club". It didn't start Tweeting until the whole news broke, so in my opinion it's a parody account. It even had hastags of #lostprophets and #lukamagnotta in some of the earlier Tweets. But, would it surprise anyone if it were actually Jered behind them? :lol:

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm 

Metalsucks just posted an interview with the guitarist, they talk about how they all got recruited, and basically all the events leading up to now.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/13/ex ... interview/

I have to say, Metalsucks has been handling this story pretty professionally. I usually avoid the site because of all the drama they focus on, but they've really been digging deep on this one. The story is so damn crazy that I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Even with all this new information, it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered about Jered's motivations and thoughts going into this plan of his. According to this guitarist, he was setting all this up over a year ago, just think if he had been putting all that time, energy and resources into, as someone mentioned already, buying his way onto an actual tour as an opener or festival? He could have done this legitimately had he focused his energy in the right place instead of trying to execute some hair-brained plan that NEVER could have worked in the first place.

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Last edited by BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:20 pm 

The only interview that matters now is the "promotional company" that he supposedly hired, if it indeed exists at all. We know everything else.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:41 pm 

I've seen a bunch of posts from people who think that this is going to get him famous or whatever, and I just don't see it happening. This whole debacle fails as a publicity stunt because it didn't draw the attention of the circles that would actually care about his music and said music isn't even bad enough to mock and tell all your friends about. It's serviceably mediocre alternative rock that you'll forget as soon as you hear it, assuming you bothered to even check it out. Most likely scenario is that we'll all get some yuks out of this for another week and then move on with our lives.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:45 pm 

Yeah, this is no "The Room" or "Troll 2".

Sonic_Titan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:12 pm 

I heard Ascension Monuments Media will release their record. Pre-orders up soon!

ZiePuppet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm 

Kinda feel bad for the guy,

His YT vids,he comes across as as a narcissist/egomaniac/crazy person but hes not totally devoid of talent(at least technical) if his bands music is actually his.Its not good or anything but not offensive..But considering he paid digs to venues upfront,paid most his band members flights/accommodation ect hes not an an outright asshole/fruadstar,

Just comes across as kinda sad and disconnected from reality,deffo an interesting story behind him,his wife,his music and hhow this tour came about anyways

:

As an aside,some info i have always wondered to know,

For a headliner band playing venues of this capacity that are successful(IE:Sellouts or close most nights)how do the finances roughly breakdown?If say a band like Immolation(random as fak i know) do a 20 date Euro tour playing at say 300-500 capcity venues(reasonable i think),do they even make a decent paycheck for each band member after all the expenses ?

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm 

The drummer got interviewed as well. Not really any new information or anything, but you get to hear his perspective on the matter.

https://www.theprp.com/2018/11/13/news/ ... n-uk-tour/

Spotify

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 pm 

Turns out this guy's real name is Jered Eames, and he played in the Black/Death Metal band Saetith. This article gives the full background on who he actually is, his musical background, and where he came from before all this. We still don't know his motivations for doing all this, but as the article points out, he essentially marketed Saetith the same way he is doing Threatin, except on a much larger scale this time. What's crazy is he played with some big bands: Rotting Christ, TBDM, Cannibal Corpse just to name a few. He obviously had, and made connections during his time with that band. I don't think he lacks as much self-awareness as everyone tihnks, it seems like he knew exactly what he was doing. He probably just didn't think it would escalate to the point that it has. He is clearly getting the levels of attention that he craves online, but he is most likely doomed to never get booked on an actual tour again.

Spotify

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm 

Catching up on these articles has been absolutely fascinating. I suppose a certain amount of kudos are due to Eames for keeping kayfabe alive as long as possible-"fake it, until you make it" indeed.

I get the sense that this is all calculated narcissism coming from this guy, and not naivete at all. He was seriously gonna try and Milli Vanilli his way into stardom, buy his way to fame. The crazy part is, he might have succeeded to a certain degree, as there will be some kind of attention on him in everything he tries to do in music from this point onward.
Obliteration

ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:26 pm 

That statement we all had to wait a day for? :lol:

https://twitter.com/JeredThreatin/statu ... 3872299008

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:27 pm 

God damn this guy both sucks and rules at the same time. What a gem!
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:00 pm 

The saddest part of this whole thing to me is when the drummer said the bassist hasn't left the tour yet, only because he can't afford to catch a flight back home.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 pm 

Off-topic, but man...Ken Sorceron comes across like a total cunt in that post. He fired the guy because of his fashion sense :lol:. Oh no, what a faux pas...he dared to wear a CRADLE OF FILTH shirt to an ABIGAIL WILLIAMS recording session :eek: and wore "the wrong kind of pants". Dude, you're in Abigail Williams, you started as a fucking myspace deathcore band and had only dropped the breakdowns and tight jeans and pretended to be black metal like a year ago at that point...you really don't have any room to talk.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm 

Sonic_Titan wrote:
I heard Ascension Monuments Media will release their record. Pre-orders up soon!

I'd like to point out that according to that metalsucks article and metal-archives itself which lists Cryptic Winter as a live member of that Saetith band there appears to be only one degree of separation between Threatin and Judas Iscariot, soooo there you have it.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 pm 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/14/sc ... ince-2012/

It turns out I know this guy's brother! :lol: His brother can get a bit too-big-for-his-britches as well, but at least Scott's boasts come from some form of reality, and as far as I know has never outright fabricated a fanbase, and he's definitely never scheduled a big tour to play to nobody.

It's so weird to see venues and places I recognize in that expose about Jered. This guy at one point was playing The Riot Room in KC which is my favorite venue ever, and that's pretty surreal given how this story has blown up.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 pm 

I gave Saetith a listen in light of all this...and it's not much better than the alternative whatever he's peddling nowadays. His brother's band sounds okay though.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
That statement we all had to wait a day for? :lol:

https://twitter.com/JeredThreatin/statu ... 3872299008

What a disappointment, THATS what he came up with after all these days of contemplating? :lol:

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 pm 

Using the word "contemplating" is giving him a little too much credit. I think that in that statement his brother released, he probably painted the most accurate picture of what happened here. There's no way that Jered did all this to get this sort of outcome. Like his brother said, he did it to "get into the music industry." I think also the fact that he's so estranged from his family says something. He's likely been trying to pull bullshit like this for a while and they're sick of it.

At first, it was unclear as to whether or not this guy was delusional, but it's now evident that he's got a severe case of narcissism. He really should seek professional help. The last day of the "tour" is today, so it'll be interesting to see what happens once he gets back to the states. Honestly, his band members should take legal action against him, but it doesn't seem like they will based on the interviews. It seems like they had such a negative experience with him, that they all just want to move on with their lives and never hear from him again. I can't say I blame them. As much of a dick as he has revealed himself to be, I still want to hear an actual interview with him, just to learn his motivations, and what he expected would come from all this. He's obviously got some sort of psychological disorder to put in that much work into trying to fool people, and I bet psychologists and sociologists are going to have a field-day studying what he did.

Spotify

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:48 pm 

Whereas I would be happier and more content in life if I never knew this man even existed. We should *all* just move on from this and not give him the validation he seeks by acknowledging his farce anymore than it already has been.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

Anyone who makes snarky comments/thoughts to themselves about a band's lack of facebook likes, youtube views, spotify listens, audio quality, art quality, fans at concerts, record label, album sales, etc., is why someone goes to these insane lengths to seem important. The "music industry" is just as fucked up as this guy. Gotta love how the metalsucks articles make fun of how many people showed up to the concerts and also specify the exact number of youtube views the hired guns videos had. Gotta give Jered credit though, he's fuckin hot.

Adam Warlock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:17 pm 

His black metal band is kind of generic but it's really not bad, not at all. He plays very fast and well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNP9Kftans

Youtube: show

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 pm 

I have been half heartedly following this story and decided to check out his music.
Funnily enough I actually like it. It might have average production and need some polishing, but it is by no means crap and a damn sight better than a lot of stuff that is out there.
It is great guilty pleasure music.
I would buy an album (or at least download it) and go to a live show if he played nearby.
Definitely getting a t shirt.....

Living_Ruins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:32 pm 

I remember about 4 months ago one of his videos came up in suggested videos section on YouTube, I checked it out and liked it, gave his songs a couple of listens, but moved on, as it seemed strange that his music sounded superpolished, he was the only known member of his band and the comments were disabled on some of his videos even at that time already, and you couldn't see the statistics of likes and dislikes of his videos. Well...

Well, I feel kind of bad about this. He might really have a mental disorder of sorts, but at the end of the day everyone got paid for almost nothing, I mean the owners of the venues, his band members. 300$ is not much, but they had great conditions with rented houses, multiple rooms and stuff. Hell, the dude's got a wife of 8 years, and she supports him no matter what, isn't that great? Although in hindsight she might be partly responsible for the growth of his ego... Nevertheless, he didn't seriously fuck somebody over, and people said he was good to be around with. His brother acknowledged his ego though, but the undertone of his speech wasn't aggressive, maybe if Jered reconciled with his brother and parents he could find some help, but since he's delusional he needs to get some grip on reality himself first. And this is where I return to the thought that he has a mental illness and needs professional help ASAP.

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:53 am 

I can't tell if this guy is a deluded egomaniac, or is just a troll seeing how far he can take things.

Either way, there's something beautiful about it.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:03 pm 

I'd say deluded egomaniac, or at best, just hopelessly clueless. If he was a troll, I don't think he would have put as much effort into writing and playing songs. To me, The Satan Records/Sewer guy, or that "Band" that puts out a new recording of 10-20 minutes of raw static every single day, are more classic examples of trolling.

As mentioned, I really believe that if he had tried to get famous through the proper channels, i.e. through hard work, playing and touring the REAL way, getting signed to a real label with a good record deal, etc- he might have made it. A lot of people have mentioned that there is no fault with his musicianship, and his music has enough mainstream appeal to really catch on to that radio-friendly crowd. His stuff reminds me a lot of Three Days Grace actually- except that honestly, I think Threatin is a better songwriter and musician than those guys are. That's the thing though- it doens't matter how good he is. By now he is just too much of a fuck up to ever be anything but an internet meme at this point.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 am 

Here's a video from the gig in Manchester. Looks like we'll be getting a live DVD soon.
(Turn down the volume, bad recording)

Youtube: show

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 am 

This is the Tommy Wiseau of rock n' roll.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:35 am 

further article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... d_threatin

he's succeeded in what he was trying to do anyway, con us all :p

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:18 am 

Helvede wrote:

I'm not aware of Tommy Wiseau ever conning the shit out of people.

Space_alligator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:07 am 

The more in hear about this story, the more fascinating it gets.

I hope someone does a movie/doco on it.

Whats the biggest scandle off 2018 though, Threatin or Blake Judd

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 am 

Well, he wins because we gave him the attention he so desperately was craving. I’m guilty of this too.

He’ll have some degree of a following now, because-as it’s been pointed out in this very thread-some people think the music isn’t all that bad. Some people will follow his every move for the rest of his life simply out of (morbid?) curiosity. Ala Wiseau.

He ultimately gets what he wants.
Obliteration

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:21 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Helvede wrote:

I'm not aware of Tommy Wiseau ever conning the shit out of people.

Yeah, no kidding.

How in the world is this close to Wiseau?

"The Room" is memorable and entertaining because it is so bizarre. Ever been to a screening of this movie? It's a lot of fun. Compare this to the experience of a Threatin concert.

I don't see how this is even half as memorable.

Simply having people know who you are is not enough.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Well, he wins because we gave him the attention he so desperately was craving. I’m guilty of this too.

He’ll have some degree of a following now, because-as it’s been pointed out in this very thread-some people think the music isn’t all that bad. Some people will follow his every move for the rest of his life simply out of (morbid?) curiosity. Ala Wiseau.

He ultimately gets what he wants.

The BBC article mentions something about one and a half million (real) streams after it became a big story, in the beginning of the thread people talked about his Spotify only having like 30 listeners before it became a big story.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 am 

tahu157 wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:
Also, how the fuck did he convince other musicians to go along with this dumb idea?

Probably duped them into thinking he had a fanbase they could benefit from too.

Everything about this story is amazing

ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 am 

Zephirus wrote:
further article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... d_threatin

he's succeeded in what he was trying to do anyway, con us all :p

Great article, it is well written. But towards the end of the article Jered mentions that everything he mentioned to her in the interview was factual. He stated that he sent e-mails in early November to a variety of news outlets about claiming Threatin to be fake and to not let them play any of their shows before their first one. But after sleuthing for those emails, they were all sent November 17th after it had all broke out. You really couldn't trust anything him or his wife say.

Not sure what to make of it all to be honest. Whether or not it was some eleborate lie he didn't plan on blowing up on him and is now trying to play it off like he manufactured it all, or the suggestions he has a mental health condition of sorts are right. Probably a combination of both. Just one big melting pot of scenarios that propelled a hilarious story, though it was great going through it all as it happened.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am 

This story continues to fascinate me as more information comes to light. Definitely one of the strangest stories of the year, along side the one about the Cannibal Corpse guitarist. It's difficult for me to believe that this started as a publicity stunt, it seems to me that he seized the opportunity to make it into one once the story blew up, but I doubt that he's the evil genius he portrays himself as in those interviews. He had plenty of time to fabricate that story before meeting with those journalists. People will always know his name, which is, I guess, what he wanted. I still think that had he shifted that energy into doing it the honest way, it would have paid off better for him. The fact that he went to such lengths to create all those companies and book that tour indicates a special (and perhaps, as of yet unidentified) type of narcissism.

Spotify

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:29 pm 

I actually saw this pop up in my BBC app, having glossed over this thread a few times, and gave the article a read.

Super fascinating stuff. I don't really think that meta-commentary on the state of the music industry was really the point of it all, but the fact that he was able to Saul Goodman his way into public space is pretty damn interesting. Completely con people into thinking you're a legitimate band just enough to do things legitimate bands do, like book tours (complete with conned hired gun live band members), perhaps purposefully don't play to anyone, (supposedly) create tons of sock puppet accounts to shit-talk the band all over the internet to get discussion going, eventually people who would've never cared are checking out your music and talking about you. Goddamn, I'm doing it right now.

Hail the post-truth era.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:30 pm 

Yeah but if you can't cash-in on your scam after it's all over, was it really worth doing in the first place? Now he's just ruined his credibility forever and with nothing to show for it. So... good job I guess?

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:38 pm 

I'd bet he'll end up with some degree of cult following after all this is said and done, and if that turns out to be the case, mission accomplished.

This this the most apt comparison to Wiseau.
Obliteration

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next