Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 pm 

I highly doubt that, as Wiseau at least provided something to his followers (a movie and limitless imitations and memes). What did Jared provide, an anecdote? "Hey, remember that Threatin' guy? Yeah he was weird..."

Nah, my money is on a quick fade to obscurity and lingering shame.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:00 pm 

Quote:
“I’m Jered. But you know that.”

ahaahahahahahahaha, what a dick!

But fuck this guy, no one will bother to care halfway through 2019. He'll fade into obscurity like every other meme that's passed trotted down the line, only to pop up at as the punchline to a joke down some trip on memory lane.
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:21 pm 

Wiseau also tried to save his mess as an intended joke or a media stunt. "You fell for it, you're the fool". Except no one fell for it, the joke was on him and he didn't beat the media.
This is carreer suicide. No one will ever take this guy seriously again. Branded forever.
There was a similar case in Denmark when an Amercian filmmaker came to make the greatest, most fantastic viking film ever. At first people believed in him, then realized he had no idea how to make a film and negative budget. In the end the film was made though, and people involved tried to silence it to death, because it was such a piece of crap. Go see "A Viking Saga - Son of Thor".
But it's really fascinating to follow, I'll admit.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:37 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hail the post-truth era.
The concept of "post truth" is the liberal, completely pacified, bullshit, mindblowingly fucking retarded dumbed down version of shitty 20-40 30-50 year old postmodern thought, which itself looks like fangs in comparison but is really just a Halloween prop.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:44 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hail the post-truth era.

Yeah, the music industry has always been on the up-and-up until 2018.

If anything he was discovered and investigated quicker now than he ever would've been in the past.

It's easier to discern the truth now than it ever was. So much for the "post-truth" era.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 am 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
The concept of "post truth" is the liberal, completely pacified, bullshit, mindblowingly fucking retarded dumbed down version of shitty 20-40 30-50 year old postmodern thought, which itself looks like fangs in comparison but is really just a Halloween prop.

Ripping yarn, Dr. Peterson.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Yeah, the music industry has always been on the up-and-up until 2018.

If anything he was discovered and investigated quicker now than he ever would've been in the past.

It's easier to discern the truth now than it ever was. So much for the "post-truth" era.

Except, according to the interview by the BBC, the "discovery" and investigation were instigated by Threatin himself. Generating buzz and hype and misrepresentation have been a part of the music industry forever, but this level of controversy generation as a path to fortune completely divorced from any aspect of the music itself (I think earlier comments were right to suspect that the endgame here is film adaptation money) isn't some tried and true angle.

Moved this thread to the Tavern, as it's about a hard rock act, though there are some tangents related to metal.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 am 

A performative reply from you. :thumbsup:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:11 am 

Only just saw this ha ha!

When "fake it till you make it" is just a bunch of faking it.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 am 

rexxz wrote:
I highly doubt that, as Wiseau at least provided something to his followers (a movie and limitless imitations and memes). What did Jared provide, an anecdote? "Hey, remember that Threatin' guy? Yeah he was weird..."

Nah, my money is on a quick fade to obscurity and lingering shame.

Eh, you're probably right.

But I can just see some unscrupulous label (think: Cleopatra) seeing all the press this guy got ("no press is bad press") and signing him to a deal as a means to "strike while the iron is hot".

And there you go, he gets a record out there (providing something to fans) and uses it as a means to tour. And you know damn well that if it happens do go down like that, he will develop some kind of cult following while the story is still fresh in people's minds. I mean, people in this thread admitted to liking the music.

It's somewhat vaguely reminiscent of the plot of the movie Airheads (awesome movie, BTW).

But in the end, you're probably right, and he'll be a Milli Vanilli-like side note in rock history.
Obliteration

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:25 am 

I'm not trying to necrobump this thread, but felt I should post this recently published BBC interview with mr jered threatin himself here, as a sort of epilogue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... d_threatin
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 pm 

That BBC story is about a year old it seems, but I hadn't read it yet. Interesting read I guess. Kelsey seems like the kind of girl that ends up as fertilizer for her own back yard.

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 pm 

It was a timely thread bump as he just performed in London again:

https://www.altpress.com/news/threatin- ... olls-more/
Quote:
A couple of dozen people showed up for the gig last night with mostly journalists in attendance. According to NME, when the first band hit the stage 20 or so people were there and when speaking with the venue’s booker, Charlie, the amount of tickets sold couldn’t be revealed.

The music plays out over the PA and the curtain drops revealing animatronic mannequins wearing t-shirts that read “Fake Band” while holding cardboard instruments.

Towards the end of the track, Jered finally turned up along with a backing band wearing shirts reading “not real.”

He tells the crowd “You are all invisible” as the song ends and doesn’t speak to the crowd for the remainder of the 45-minute set. During other tracks, the frontman kept a joke going where he points the microphone to a mannequin, goes to take it back and sing but stops himself. That carried on numerous times throughout, but he also brought up a blow-up doll with a BBC News shirt that he mimes receiving fellatio from.

The show gets even better though, as it was riddled with technical errors. The mics kept cutting out and the ridiculous backdrop started to fall down at one point. Jered then ended the set by tearing up the stage, ripping up the banners and decapitating the mannequins. He did a mock bow as he exited.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:29 pm 

Wow, he really likes Andy Kaufman or something
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:19 am 

If I don't order some merch, how is he ever going to replace those robots?!?!?!

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 am 

I don't understand this. Does he think this gimmick is going to work? Is he planning to fail his way to the top?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3