Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 pm 

Who are the non-archived bands releasing new music in 2019 you are excited for?

Lana Del Rey
I'm pretty stoked for this. The new songs and clips she has dropped sound great so far.

Bruce Springsteen
Nothing is officially announced yet, but in a statement at the conclusion of his broadway run, he stated he will spend 2019 wrapping up some various recording projects he has been working on.

Danny Brown
Danny has alluded to having something close to being finished a couple times. Atrocity Exhibition was my favourite record of 2016, and one of my favourite rap albums of all time.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm 

The new Rammstein and the new Arditi.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm 

Bad Religion, The Distillers, Millencolin, Teenage Bottlerocket.
I hear OFF! are working on new material, we'll see if that sees the light of day in 2019

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm 

Alice Cooper
I don't know if this is a certainty, as I know there's a Hollywood Vampires album due this year, but Alice has also spoken of a new solo record. Hopefully it'll be here sooner rather than later.

Deftones
I seem to recall Chino mentioning new material a fair while ago. These guys never release a bad album, but their last 3-4 have been immense.

The Offspring
Might be a double album, but either way, I'm ready for new material from The Offspring. It's been seven years since their last full length.

blink-182
Their last album was shit, but this is supposedly more adventurous, so we'll see how it goes. Perhaps I'm looking forward to this more out of morbid curiosity. They really suffer without Tom Delonge. Speaking of which...

Angels & Airwaves
This'll hopefully see the light of day in 2019. Delonge has recently become one of my favourite songwriters, and he usually comes up with some amazing stuff on every A&A album.

Aaron Lewis
One of my favourite singers. I'm confident he'll deliver another enjoyable country album.

Miranda Lambert
Perhaps more hope than expectation. Her last album was 2016, so should be due another one in the relatively near future.

Ascension of the Watchers
I backed this on one of those pledge websites. Huge fan of Burton C Bell's voice, so looking forward to hearing more of him on laid back material.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:38 pm 

Acretongue "Ghost Nocturne"
One of the best synth/futurepop artists out there is about to release 3-rd album on February 1-st 2019, and since previous one was a masterpiece IMO I'm really excited to hear this one.

Last edited by BlackheartSauron on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Angels & Airwaves
This'll hopefully see the light of day in 2019. Delonge has recently become one of my favourite songwriters, and he usually comes up with some amazing stuff on every A&A album.

I would relish this a thousand times over, but I highly, highly doubt it happens. Tom has gone completely off the deep end with all this space exploration/UFO conspiracy stuff-and all the graphic novels, books, and animated films that go along with all that-and it seems as if he is done with music, or at the very least has completely lost his focus for it. This is one of my all time favorite bands (We Don't Need To Whisper and The Love Album are serious masterpieces), and I would love nothing more than having new music, but I am not terribly confident it ever happens. Which circles me back to...

lordcatfish wrote:
blink-182
Their last album was shit, but this is supposedly more adventurous, so we'll see how it goes. Perhaps I'm looking forward to this more out of morbid curiosity. They really suffer without Tom Delonge. Speaking of which...

I would not personally call it "shit", but yeah, major step down. Skiba is actually a solid replacement and IMO he's not the issue-to me the question that needs to be asked is "why did they need to bring in a slew of outside songwriters for their first album without Tom?". Does Mark Hoppus legit not know how to write Blink songs without Tom? The fact that not a single song of the 28 on the double disc version of California was written by Hoppus/Skiba/Barker alone makes me think that Tom DeLonge was the true creative driver in that band all along. So if they do have a new album on deck for 2019, and it truly will be more adventurous, then maybe they can salvage the post-Tom version of the band.

On topic, the only album that I am cognizant of that hasn't been mentioned in this tread yet is Bad Religion. I'm especially interested to see how the lineup shifts (especially the loss of the godly Brooks Wackerman) have any impact. The singles I've heard thus far lead me to believe that this will be another strong album. EDIT: Whoops, I guess I should learn to read.
Obliteration

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 pm 

"Calfiornia" by blink-182 was pretty weak. 3 whole songs I think of as worth listening to. I'm a big fan of Matt Skiba's work in Alkaline Trio (especially their first 4 albums and their newest one), so I was hoping I'd dig it, but I just didn't. I wasn't that fond of "Neighborhoods" either, to be completely honest, but it at least seemed like a natural progression from the self-titled album and wasn't them attempting to relive their glory days and failing at it (that's what "California" is to me). The fact that Feldmann cowrote a lot of this material with them rubs me the wrong way, too, and from what I can tell he's helping them out again. My hopes are *not* high

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:46 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Ascension of the Watchers
I backed this on one of those pledge websites. Huge fan of Burton C Bell's voice, so looking forward to hearing more of him on laid back material.

Oh, yeah. I'd love for this to finally see the light of day, as well.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:48 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
"Calfiornia" by blink-182 was pretty weak. 3 whole songs I think of as worth listening to. I'm a big fan of Matt Skiba's work in Alkaline Trio (especially their first 4 albums and their newest one), so I was hoping I'd dig it, but I just didn't. I wasn't that fond of "Neighborhoods" either, to be completely honest, but it at least seemed like a natural progression from the self-titled album and wasn't them attempting to relive their glory days and failing at it (that's what "California" is to me). The fact that Feldmann cowrote a lot of this material with them rubs me the wrong way, too, and from what I can tell he's helping them out again. My hopes are *not* high

I'm basically right there with you, except I actually think very, very highly of Neighborhoods. My second favorite Blink album after the self titled.

But yeah, California is 100% trying to be an "old-school" sounding fan service album. That much is glaringly obvious. "Rabbit Hole" is a good tune, though, probably the best out of that bunch.
Obliteration

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
I would relish this a thousand times over, but I highly, highly doubt it happens. Tom has gone completely off the deep end with all this space exploration/UFO conspiracy stuff-and all the graphic novels, books, and animated films that go along with all that-and it seems as if he is done with music, or at the very least has completely lost his focus for it. This is one of my all time favorite bands (We Don't Need To Whisper and The Love Album are serious masterpieces), and I would love nothing more than having new music, but I am not terribly confident it ever happens. Which circles me back to...

He's posted plenty of studio pics and social media updates over the past year, so I'm confident it's a matter of when, not if. But as you say, with all the other stuff he has going on, I just hope it doesn't take too long. I-Empire is the masterpiece for me.

As for California, I'm in total agreement that it's a failed attempt at a throwback. It sounds like a dime a dozen pop punk album, and Skiba's vocals are faceless and underwhelming. It really misses the dynamic between Tom and Mark's vocals. "Rabbit Hole" and "No Future" are the two standouts for me.

I also adore Neighborhoods. Second only to Enema for me (which is pop punk perfection).

KanisMaximus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 pm 

Legendary Jazz Fusion group Snarky Puppy is going on tour this year with new material, so it's almost a certainty that we'll be getting another new album from them soon!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 pm 

For the electronic fans....

It was pushed back from 2018 to 2019 and given who this is it might not see the light of day until 2029 for all I know, but Astral Projection has most of a new album finished. The new stuff they've been dropping into DJ sets since late 2017 has been somewhere between good and jaw-dropping.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:25 am 

It wasn't anticipated, because it was totally unexpected for me, but a new Rome album (“Le Ceneri di Heliodoro“) was released just today. Fortunately, I noticed this still early enough to get myself the limited edition including vinyl and a really nice looking shirt. First impression of the album is quite good, too, yet another strong addition to Rome's discography.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 am 

Without question, the new Brutus. I honestly had no idea this was coming, and it seems like a super quick turnaround from Burst.

Can’t wait to get my hands on this.
Obliteration

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:52 am 

Check out the preview for the new Rammstein!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLRzzEFT3E

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:23 pm 

New Rammstein single, "Deutschland"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQM1c-XCDc

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:29 pm 

Awesome music video, average song. It's great that some bands still respect the underestimated art form of music videos. Looking forward to the new record.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:15 pm 

The song was good, but maybe a little underwhelming as I have rather high expectations for Rammstein. It’s still good, and it is actually getting better upon multiple listens.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:39 am 

Aggrotech/Industrial Metal heavyweights Combichrist will have a new album out in a couple of months, it's called "One Fire". Here is the first single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGY6M59 ... S0&index=1

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:02 am 

Mostly excited for the new Grimes album. Her recent single was really good and I enjoyed her past album. Ethereal nu metal is quite a way for her to describe her upcoming album but it sounds like it's going to be pretty dope.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:48 am 

More info on Rammstein's new album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitled_Rammstein_album

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 am 

Another new Rammstein single:

https://youtu.be/z0NfI2NeDHI

I dunno, I'm still not blown away by the new stuff although it's very competent. Am I too optimistic for expecting another Mein Teil or Sonne?

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm 

It's gonna be Danny for me as well. I can't believe it's been 3 years now since that album, still feels fresh to me.

Yandhi also whenever that drops.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Another new Rammstein single:

https://youtu.be/z0NfI2NeDHI

I dunno, I'm still not blown away by the new stuff although it's very competent. Am I too optimistic for expecting another Mein Teil or Sonne?

This song is growing on me though; better than Deutschland IMO.

aboc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:30 am 

Personally I’m really excited for Eugent Bushpepa’s album. It’s meant to come out at some point during the summer of 2019 apparently.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:26 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:
Angels & Airwaves

Well, we have a new song and some tour dates. No word on an album but hopefully there's one on the way too...

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:58 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Well, we have a new song and some tour dates. No word on an album but hopefully there's one on the way too...

Thanks for pointing this out and now I'm gonna mention the new Blink song as well, and make the obvious (needless?) comparison.

Neither song is any good, but I have to give the edge to AVA, the Blink song is bordering on completely terrible.

That said, I'm not writing either album off, these songs might work in the context of their respective wholes. We shall see.
Obliteration

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 am 

The new Tool is coming out on August 30. So far they have two new tracks that sound right up their alley. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ve-831531/

Here's hoping it turns out well. I liked '10,000 Days' but 'Lateralus' will always be my favorite.

Also, oof, that new Blink 182 song sounds like pop punk imitating modern country that imitates rap and it just isn't working for me. I liked their self-titled, that was a great spot to end the band while showing some growth and change after 'Take Off Your Pants and Jacket' but since reuniting they haven't been all that good. That chorus is so 2000-late with its woa-oh-oh.

It's like Nirvana vs Foo Fighters with how different the band has become but at least Foo Fighters is enjoyable.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:57 am 

White Reaper
Obliteration

BodomSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:28 pm 

Definitely excited for the new Alter Bridge album coming out in October. Also looks like the Goo Goo Dolls are doing a new album so that should be fun. I really enjoyed their last EP.

CosmicChrisTV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 pm 

korn and infant annihilator
https://traumaticserenity.bandcamp.com/
Comedy/Music-Related Videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisSchroederMUSIC

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am 

New Raconteurs comes out tomorrow, I'm stoked. Both their other albums are masterclasses in poppy, hard hitting stuff. Especially Consolers of the Lonely, a great sprawl of blues, hard rock, punk and Americana influences. Exactly up my alley.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am 

jimbies wrote:
Who are the non-archived bands releasing new music in 2019 you are excited for?

Lana Del Rey
I'm pretty stoked for this. The new songs and clips she has dropped sound great so far.

Bruce Springsteen
Nothing is officially announced yet, but in a statement at the conclusion of his broadway run, he stated he will spend 2019 wrapping up some various recording projects he has been working on.

Danny Brown
Danny has alluded to having something close to being finished a couple times. Atrocity Exhibition was my favourite record of 2016, and one of my favourite rap albums of all time.

Well, half way through the year and:

Lana hasn't dropped the album that was supposed to come out in March (no new info about it at all)

Bruce's record came out, and it's very underwhelming IMO

and Danny's is on it's way, but also hasn't announced a release date. DANG.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:18 pm 

Just a week or so away from the latest from Heilung.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am 

Angel Olsen is supposed to be on the new Danny Brown. That should be cool.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:25 pm 

Chelsea Wolfe's new album Birth of Violence should be coming out this September. Apparently it's much mellower than Hiss Spun with an acoustic folky vibe. I'm really glad about that, as it keeps her discography fresh and varied, as it seemed like her stuff was veering heavier with each release lately. She's very good doing "creep folk" anyways.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:35 am 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Chelsea Wolfe's new album Birth of Violence should be coming out this September. Apparently it's much mellower than Hiss Spun with an acoustic folky vibe. I'm really glad about that, as it keeps her discography fresh and varied, as it seemed like her stuff was veering heavier with each release lately. She's very good doing "creep folk" anyways.

Agreed on that - there's only so heavy her sound can get before it risks becoming fuzzed-out noise, so a direction shift isn't a bad thing at all. Very much looking forwards to it :D

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:38 pm 

Fresh and varied? It's literally the sound she started her career with. :lol:

I haven't really liked anything she's done since "Pain is Beauty." Shrug.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 am 

Methuen wrote:
Liquid_Braino wrote:

Agreed on that - there's only so heavy her sound can get before it risks becoming fuzzed-out noise, so a direction shift isn't a bad thing at all. Very much looking forwards to it :D

I'm excited for it to be dialled back, as well. My favourite record of her's is "Pain Is Beauty". I enjoyed "abyss", but "Hiss Spun" was off the mark a bit for me.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 am 

I'm pretty excited for Jimmy Eat World. These guys have truly not made a bad album since 1996.

I'm really excited for FKA Twigs. Her music is so fucking wild.

That Blink album we talked about earlier in this thread turned out to be damn good, very much surprisingly so.
Obliteration

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next