Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:13 pm 

Parliament voted today to reject a no-deal Brexit, meaning tomorrow they'll vote on whether or not to delay Brexit past March 29. The only way a delay will happen though is if the EU agrees to it. If not, then the UK crashes out on the 29th with no deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47562995

This is the single biggest governmental clusterfuck I have ever seen, and I live in the fucking United States.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm 

I have to ask man...do you have some kind of personal horse in this race? Do you feel like it somehow makes us (USA) seem LESS of a mess? The OP and every post I've seen from you comes off as very...excited? About how bad this is going. Like you're om nom noming each new bit of foible.

I don't get it.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm 

It seems we do not actually have a government at the moment tbh. The PM is nominally against leaving with no deal, which is why she tried to arrange the deal no-one likes yet she won't whip the MPs to support a motion stating that we do not want to leave without a deal. That sort of free vote isn't an ethical question or one of personal preference, it's important and its government policy. The rest is going predictably. No-one in politics actually wants Brexit, which is why they keep failing to decide anything except to reject things but without anyone being courageous enough to say that the whole thing is a bad idea. If I were another EU member state, I'm not sure I'd see any advantage in extending article 50. Nothing changes.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I have to ask man...do you have some kind of personal horse in this race? Do you feel like it somehow makes us (USA) seem LESS of a mess? The OP and every post I've seen from you comes off as very...excited? About how bad this is going. Like you're om nom noming each new bit of foible.

I don't get it.

It's just something that I've taken great interest in ever since it started. It's an insane, bizarre spectacle to watch as an entire Western government fucks up over and over again in increasingly spectacular ways. It doesn't negate how broken the US is, but, as I said earlier in the thread, the Brexit campaign and the Trump campaign were based around the same general thing (making white people afraid that brown foreigners would fuck their country up), and both have led to the worst case scenario for their respective countries and will/have lead to major issues around the world.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 pm 

Subrick wrote:
(making white people afraid that brown foreigners would fuck their country up), and both have led to the worst case scenario for their respective countries and will/have lead to major issues around the world.

Spoiler: show
Sorry to meme but I had to xD

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 pm 

Is this political manipulation at this point? Forcing MPs to reject objectively bad ideas so the pro-Brexit crowd will have to give up?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:40 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's just something that I've taken great interest in ever since it started. It's an insane, bizarre spectacle to watch as an entire Western government fucks up over and over again in increasingly spectacular ways. It doesn't negate how broken the US is, but, as I said earlier in the thread, the Brexit campaign and the Trump campaign were based around the same general thing (making white people afraid that brown foreigners would fuck their country up), and both have led to the worst case scenario for their respective countries and will/have lead to major issues around the world.

Indeed. We don't want the UK - one of our closest allies and friends - to come crashing down but we want the idiot modern far-right to come crashing down. Especially people like me from Germany who haven't had them in power yet wish for people to clearly see what kind of damage those kinds of idiots do. Brexit and Trump are doing a great job at it.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MegaMal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:56 am 

As a Brit, all I can say is this whole saga has been terribly depressing.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 pm 

MegaMal wrote:
As a Brit, all I can say is this whole saga has been terribly depressing.

Amen to that! Plus, none of it has been remotely democratic.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm 

Not Brexit related, but it is about British politics. Some dink MP from North Cornwall has actually proposed “knife control” as a means of stopping violent crime:
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ed-2645107

Years ago, I took a bus to a picnic with some friends, carrying a barbecue lighter and a paper bag full of dead, broken and possibly leaking batteries (I stopped at the hazardous recycling station on the way). I suppose this Cornish arse would have thought I was a danger to public safety. :ah-ha:
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:20 pm 

To be fair, we have tabloid newspapers that confuse the "We Sold our Souls" S for Nazi imagery so there's definitely no shortage of idiocy in blighty.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/23/mp-richard-burgon-in-court-for-sun-alleged-nazi-images-libel-case

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm 

I wonder how long the Tories will continue to speak of Brexit as 'the will of the people'.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I wonder how long the Tories will continue to speak of Brexit as 'the will of the people'.

Everyone will trump their line as "the will of the people" if they have won - and sometimes when they haven't won. In Britain I see both sides claim they are on the peoples side actually. In England how they vote would be different if people "knew what they know now". In Scotland because they, as a country voted to stay etc.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:47 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

Yes, they know how to pile on the guilt for those idiots who voted to leave because they didn't want the remainers to have too much of the pie, thinking leaving the EU could never happen!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 pm 

GTog wrote:
Is this political manipulation at this point? Forcing MPs to reject objectively bad ideas so the pro-Brexit crowd will have to give up?

Seems that way! Theresa May’s Nonservatives come up with an intentionally half-ass “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Brexit!” which they know nobody will like. That way the endless delays will be passed off as part of the legitimate negotiation process, and the people who voted to leave will just get bored rather than really agitated.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:30 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
GTog wrote:

Seems that way! Theresa May’s Nonservatives come up with an intentionally half-ass “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Brexit!” which they know nobody will like. That way the endless delays will be passed off as part of the legitimate negotiation process, and the people who voted to leave will just get bored rather than really agitated.

Not certain I follow you here, but doesn't seem like you have May's strategy figured out. I'm fairly sure a no-deal disaster Brexit has been this clique's plan from the beginning, and my money is on that happening this month - it's not endless delays, we're almost at the deadline. Some optimists think it'll be averted: there'll be another election, referendum, or they'll just cancel the whole thing. As sensible as that last option is, I don't see it happening given who currently holds the cards. They also think the EU might grant them an extension for some reason, but I'd be surprised if this happened: the government has, quite simply, not been acting with competence or honour in negotiations. They've been playing to the mob in the UK, and showing no respect to any of its neighbours.

There is a small group of people in charge of the UK and they stand to increase their power and wealth with this change. For the average citizen things will become worse (yet they keep voting for these charlatans...)

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 am 

I'm fairly sure a no-deal disaster Brexit has been this clique's plan from the beginning.

There is a small group of people in charge of the UK and they stand to increase their power and wealth with this change. For the average citizen things will become worse.[/quote]

To quote Meat Loaf, you took the words right out of my mouth. There is indeed a small bunch of very rich idiots who stand to become even richer out of this, especially when we become a floating tax haven. As an aside, I've been watching this happen for years and there are going to be serious implications for everyone as the super rich hoover up all the money. It's absolute madness!

zingote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 pm 

There's also talk of CANZUK down the line which can only be negotiated following BREXIT.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:42 pm 

Theresa's newest idea: Pay Northern Ireland £1bn in exchange for the ten DUP votes she wants for her "deal". Democracy at its finest.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:42 pm 

So, now, we're all thinking "Wow, it really was a long-winded way of getting 'Beano' Boris in power!". Fuck's sake, any Tory alternative to May is more concerning.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:08 pm 

It seems to me that Rifkind's discursive cheese analogy from last year has continuously become more accurate as this thing has wore on.

Quote:
The thing is, the best way to understand Theresa May’s predicament is to imagine that 52 percent of Britain had voted that the government should build a submarine out of cheese. Now, Theresa May was initially against building a submarine out of cheese, obviously. Because it’s a completely insane thing to do. However, in order to become PM, she had to pretend that she thought building a submarine out of cheese was fine and could totally work. "Cheese means cheese," she told us all, madly. Then she actually built one. It’s shit. Of course it is. For God’s sake, are you stupid? It’s a submarine built out of cheese. So now, having built a shit cheese submarine, she has to put up with both Labour and Tory Brexiters insisting that a less shit cheese submarine could have been built. They’re all lying, and they know it. So does everybody else. We've covered this already, I know, but it’s cheese and it’s a submarine. How good could it possibly be? Only she can’t call them out on this. Because she has spent the past two years also lying, by pretending she really could build a decent submarine out of cheese. So that’s where we are.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/now- ... -cbh8gmljd

I read this the day he first tweeted it. Still seems to work.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:09 pm 

Fuck

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:12 pm 

Nothing quite like watching a once proud nation committing sepeku in the name of bigotry and ignorance. Putin's burst his appendix laughing.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:44 pm 

299796kms wrote:
Nothing quite like watching a once proud nation committing sepeku in the name of bigotry and ignorance. Putin's burst his appendix laughing.

Not in my name!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm 

A third vote on May's Brexit agreement took place today, and for the third time, it fucking failed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... 76d61ecefd

This now means that a no deal Brexit is incredibly likely to happen, and a general election might happen as well.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 am 

If Corbyn could clench the office of PM, all of this will be worth it. He's a once-in-a-lifetime politician. Don't miss your chance, UK.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 am 

darkeningday wrote:
If Corbyn could clench the office of PM, all of this will be worth it. He's a once-in-a-lifetime politician. Don't miss your chance, UK.

I take it this is a joke? Corbyn is a tosser who has his eye firmly on the PM position. In fact, I don't trust anyone in the government at the moment. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!!!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 am 

Corbyn is a mirror image of my politics, right down to the minutiae. He's what I wish Bernie would be (or perhaps he's who Bernie used to be). What don't you like about him?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:16 pm 

Does that include running interference for Putin whenever he decides to use nerve gas or radioactive weapons on British soil and apologizing for a country that continues to conduct terrorism in Europe?

Labour and Corbyn perfectly encapsulate the pitfalls of a parliamentary system as opposed to a presidential one. You can't have all of the nice things about one without getting the mendacity, NATO-skeptic, Trump-lite foreign policy of the other. To say nothing of the sheer radioactive idiocy of his deterrence policy, which amounts to signalling that he would instantly surrender if attacked.

Having Trump as POTUS is a gift to a country that continuously seeks to undermine our way of life. Having Trump and Corbyn leading two of the biggest NATO players---on top of Kremlin apologists leading Hungary and the Czech Republic---is close to a political worst-case scenario.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 pm 

You're confusing anti-interventionism and anti-imperialism for paleocon isolationism. He also famously called the Skripal attacks an "outrage and beyond reckless" and is nothing short of appalled by Putin's human rights abuses. No one in British or American politics has been more consistently right about everything than Corbyn. His brand of militant (ironically, anti-military) leftist politics is the cure we need for the neoliberal hellscape we currently inhabit.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:48 pm 

I'm not confusing jack shit. "anti-imperialism," really? People who wave away Crimea, 2016 election interference (here and the UK), or actual attempts to assassinate European heads of state by consistently invoking Kremlin propaganda about "waaaah NATO expansion wha wha wha," as Corbyn frequently does, do not for one second give a damn about "imperialism." They excuse imperialistic actions conducted by Moscow all the time.

Please tell me you don't buy into this "Putin is just so fragile and delicate he's worried an alliance that deploys 50% fewer forces from 25 years ago is actually an expansionist menace" disinformation. Please tell me you don't fall for the "derp we're 5X as powerful as the rest of the world combined" gibberish. Please tell me you don't think if only we elected exclamation points of natsec effeteness that the problems of the world will just leave us alone. Please.

Because if that's where the left-ish base of voters here and abroad is after everything that's happened in plain sight over the last 10 years, then we are so god damn fucked.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:16 am 

You're painting the absolute lad as a Russian sleeper cell :lol:. Next you're going to tell me you swallowed up the "anti-semitic" smear the overwhelmingly right-wing media has painted him as. He's disgusted with the utter lack of democracy in the EU, yes, but he's not about to throw the baby out with the bath water. His brand of Marxian Democratic Socialism represents a considerable threat to the European centers of power, as does his strict stance on BRITISH interventionism in foreign nations.

Ultimately my interests are in worker's rights, an end to fossil fuel use and establishing strict anti-austerity measures. Natsec isn't in my purview.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:40 am 

Well, natsec is the primary responsibility of national leaders---prime ministers, presidents, kings, queens. It's what gives the rest of any given citizenry and its policymakers the luxury of worrying about tax rates or workers' rights or chlorine-washed chicken or whatever the latest fashionable bien-pensant controversy is.

If a potential national leader's response to the question of how to respond to a nuclear attack boils down to "well I'll poll the country and we'll see what they say, also nukes are bad," they self-evidently disqualify themselves to lead a country. Period. Full stop.

Corbyn would probably make a good-to-excellent finance minister or NHS administrator. That's the closest he should get to prime minister.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:08 am 

It's at least worth asking yourself why some of the most daring political minds of the 21st century, from Chris Hedges to Adam Curtis to (and I realize this will trigger you) Noam Chomsky having been pissing themselves with glee at the possibility of Corbyn as PM, and why neoliberal leaders and the military industrial complex has made it their sole goal to take him down.

Here's a quick rundown by Hedges. What you interpret as either naivete or treachery is far, far more nuanced, complex and far-reaching than that. Also, Glenn Greenwald on Corbyn's approach to Russia, NATO and denuclearization and how the media twists that into Cold War era conspiratorial propaganda.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Corbyn is a mirror image of my politics, right down to the minutiae. He's what I wish Bernie would be (or perhaps he's who Bernie used to be). What don't you like about him?

Anti-Semitism, for one. It would be nice if Corbyn could control his own party members!

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 am 

Corbyn hasn't been great on Brexit though really has he, which is a bit concerning given the issue's importance. His plan seems to be more or less to be to hedge his bets as much as possible until the other guys fuck it up, then get himself elected. That's a plausible outcome but it doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence that he knows what he's doing with Brexit.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:56 pm 

drterror666 wrote:
Anti-Semitism, for one. It would be nice if Corbyn could control his own party members!

Ah, the classic leftists are anti-semites smear.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:52 pm 

Grey Wolves know what's up.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
stuff

As I said, we're so fucked. The paragraph "please tell me you don't believe this" originally started out "please tell me you don't take to heart the mendacious screeching of the Chomsky's and Greenwald's of the world," but I reworded it.

Take it from someone who religiously read every single Greenwald column from 2007-2011 and used to approvingly cite Chomsky in college term papers: don't. Don't read them, don't watch them, don't listen to them. They are the type of "thinkers" (in the loosest, stretchy-est sense of the word) who seductively make their audience dumber for paying heed to them. And whatever they claim to the contrary, their natsec policy prescriptions would, if enacted, lead to suffering on a worldwide scale unseen since the 1940's. The world does not, has never, and will never work the way they think it does.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:42 pm 

...have you lived and worked for years upon years in the Middle East like Pulitzer winners like Hedges has? Or have you been staring at the world through the prism of what the centers of US power want you to see?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next