Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 pm 

We are talking about NATO/European deterrence vis a vis Russia. Hedges' experience in the middle east is irrelevant in that context.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 am 

...you do realize Russia is a dumpster fire and that Putin's virtual autocracy over a dwindling country that inches ever closer to total economic collapse is far from immortal, especially as people like Navalny continue to grow in popularity. I should also add that all of those aforementioned leftists have been very outspoken against the human rights violations committed by Putin and his Chechen underlings.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 am 

Well, I lost my bet. EU27 granted a pretty long extension. Not sure why, because we'll only be right back here end October. Six more months of this stupidity...

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:41 pm 

Second referendum or FOAD!!!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 am 

Theresa May resigned. What now?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 am 

I was gonna say, on the one hand: Yay, no more May. On the other hand: I’m not sure anyone in the U.K. is really gonna be happy with PM Boris Johnson.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:36 am 

Subrick wrote:
I was gonna say, on the one hand: Yay, no more May. On the other hand: I’m not sure anyone in the U.K. is really gonna be happy with PM Boris Johnson.

Called it.

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/bo ... index.html

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:18 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 pm 

BJ (Really? Those are his initials?) is the comic relief for the tragedy of Britain. He’s not going to make things better, because no one can, but he’s going to make us laugh while the nation goes tits up.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 am 

Why is the GBP still so valuable? I get my ass kicked in the exchange rate any time I buy something.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:06 pm 

So to someone less stupid than me (i.e. most people here), does Corbyn have a shot?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 pm 

I'm gonna say that just about anyone has a shot in this farrago of bullshit

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:53 pm 

"No deal" rejected, new elections rejected.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:54 am 

PMQs yesterday were interesting: Johnson proved incompetent, unconvincing and avoided answering anything in any meaningful way (no surprise there). He also managed to call Corbyn a 'big girl's blouse', which, for is essentially calling him a pussy. The financial promises they spoke of were a load of hot air and completely sidestepped the terrible effects of their austerity policies.

Seems like a disastrous couple of days for the Tories, but that still doesn't make me too optimistic.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:30 am 

You know the what the really depressing thought is? Boris Johnson would've been the most moral, competent, thoughtful, reasonable and compassionate Republican US President in decades.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:42 am 

droneriot wrote:
"No deal" rejected

This claim has been promoted numerous times over the last year but it's actually pretty meaningless. People should not believe that MPs can keep rejecting everything and that that will make everything turn out all right in the end; we're way past that bridge - enacting Article 50 ensured that. No-deal chaos is the default result until a deal is agreed. That requires something positive, not negative. The SNP actually tried to get legislation through which would ensure, in the event of no deal being reached at the deadline, that revoking Article 50 would be the default. It was a sensible idea for pro- and anti-brexit people alike, but it was rejected.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
You know the what the really depressing thought is? Boris Johnson would've been the most moral, competent, thoughtful, reasonable and compassionate Republican US President in decades.

Considering that the American right wing is straight up fascism, that's actually a very accurate take on Johnson in comparison to someone like Trump.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:50 pm 

"Considering that the American right wing is straight up fascism..." the hell are you talking about?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 pm 

"Love it or leave it", textbook.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
"Considering that the American right wing is straight up fascism..." the hell are you talking about?

You very obviously have not been paying attention to this current administration. The GOP has been moving further and further right for the last 4-5 decades, ever since the time of Nixon, and at this point they are a full on fascist, obstructionist party whose only goal is to enact complete corporate control over the United States. The Democratic Party is really not that much better, as they simply want to maintain the status quo and their own power without any real care towards real leftist causes, but at least they don’t actively engage in disinformation campaigns against the American public out of spite, repeal or cancel regulations designed to keep major corporations from advancing climate change in order to make money, try (and temporarily succeed) to ban certain ethnic and religious subsets of the world population from entering the country because of racism, or forcibly steal the children of migrant Latin American asylum seekers and imprison them in concentration camps with deliberately insufficient conditions for survival.

Among other things, of course.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm 

You know you've reached fascism territory when the Republican government is literally gaslighting you over the weather report.

Last FM

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 pm 

There is nothing "fascist" about anything in American government.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:26 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:

Nah, not "nothing". It's not full-blown fascism (yet) thanks to things like the 1st Amendment, but there's plenty of similarities.
From the cult of personality of Trump and his constant ego-feeding rallies (which include creepy hostile chants like "send her back" or "lock her up" on political opponents), suppression of multiple civil rights, voter suppression, a news station acting 100% as the leader's propaganda mouthpiece, the rise of white supremacy enabled by the president and his cabinet, the concentration camps with migrant kids in cages, Trump's attempts at stifling criticism (with threats of libel lawsuits etc.), Trump pardoning awful convicted criminals because he likes them, and more.

All of the above isn't "nothing".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 am 

My girlfriend (who is trans) has witnessed first hand the degree of fascism on display in this country. It doesn't even involve the idiot in the Whitehouse. Local governments and especially their police departments can be fascist. They execute unarmed civilians because of the color of their skin. My girlfriend was accused of using crack by a cop once just because she is skinny. Friends of mine have been harassed for being black. Some of these issues have been going on for a very long time.

Just because it might not be fascist to you, or me, or some rich white guy, doesn't mean it isn't happening to someone.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 am 

Morrigan wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

Nah, not "nothing". It's not full-blown fascism (yet) thanks to things like the 1st Amendment, but there's plenty of similarities.
From the cult of personality of Trump and his constant ego-feeding rallies (which include creepy hostile chants like "send her back" or "lock her up" on political opponents), suppression of multiple civil rights, voter suppression, a news station acting 100% as the leader's propaganda mouthpiece, the rise of white supremacy enabled by the president and his cabinet, the concentration camps with migrant kids in cages, Trump's attempts at stifling criticism (with threats of libel lawsuits etc.), Trump pardoning awful convicted criminals because he likes them, and more.

All of the above isn't "nothing".

And, emblematically, the rather unsubtle cues that Trump is not planning to leave the office no matter the outcome of the election.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 am 

Trump is literally just a neo-con boomer conservative with an inflated ego that probably has a bunch of dirt on him.

Trump is one of those "conservatives" that seek to conserve wealth and the economic system; not values, morality, culture, or nation. It's like the opposite of fascism.

Calling him a fascist isn't very honest; to fascists or neo-con boomer conservative Trumptards.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:17 am 

Goatfang's post is really good. Yet another reason to support Sanders, whose demilitarization of the cops and a Justice Department investigation of every single killing by police officers proposals are by far the best policies to combat this, even if they don't go far enough imho.

Trump is too fucking dumb to be an actual fascist, it's just that his brand of pathological narcissism often manifests as full-on authoritarian fascism. Case in point: Donnie ordering US businesses to leave China because he got his butt hurt in trade talks. Had this ended there it could've been passed off as more bloviating bullshit from King Bullshit, but after he made some poor intern figure out how to justify his insane "order," the obscure law he cited may actually enable the president to enforce something like that. You see this exact melody played again and again; while many times their results are horrific, such as charging every border crosser with a federal misdemeanor (where previously it was a state civil violation comparable to a parking ticket), the real bete noire hiding in the back is what could happen if someone competent on the right flank of the GOP gets the reins, such as Tom Cotton, Steve King or (and a new challenger has appeared that I'd recommend keeping your eyes on) Josh Hawley. That's when it's time to light the signal flairs.

Anyway, back on topic, Johnson failed again to get enough votes for an election, and the parliamentary suspension went through. At least May's been somewhat vindicated!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:38 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Calling him a fascist isn't very honest; to fascists or neo-con boomer conservative Trumptards.

That's a funny thing to say considering we very recently had fifteen months of literal neo-fascist Matteo Salvini de facto in power for direct comparison.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:44 am 

droneriot wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

That's a funny thing to say considering we very recently had fifteen months of literal neo-fascist Matteo Salvini de facto in power for direct comparison.

If Salvini was trying to be some sort of fascist, he wasn't very good at it.

Calling Salvini a fascist is like when Republicans call Hugo Chavez a communist.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 am 

Maybe you're one of those weirdos who believe fascism would have to be like renaissance fairs and historical re-enactment and all and they'd have to dress the historical costumes and do the historical rituals and all to be the real thing, but then you'd have to wear a white wig to be a democrat and wear a cylinder hat and sideburns to be a republican. Nah it's obviously updated to the 21st century and the key overlaps between Lega Nord, Fratelli d'Italia and street thugs like Lazio Rome/Cagliari Calcio ultras show a clear direction.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Calling Salvini a fascist is like when Republicans call Hugo Chavez a communist.

Um, but Chavismo *is* analogous to several strains of communism....

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am 

droneriot wrote:
Maybe you're one of those weirdos who believe fascism would have to be like renaissance fairs and historical re-enactment and all and they'd have to dress the historical costumes and do the historical rituals and all to be the real thing, but then you'd have to wear a white wig to be a democrat and wear a cylinder hat and sideburns to be a republican. Nah it's obviously updated to the 21st century and the key overlaps between Lega Nord, Fratelli d'Italia and street thugs like Lazio Rome/Cagliari Calcio ultras show a clear direction.

Sure, his party has some relations with "neo-fascists", but he is far from being a proper fascist in any regard. At best you could call it "fascist-lite", but when it comes to identitarian-types, they are as moderate as it gets. I'd call it a parody, even.

If by "updated for the 21st century" you mean, "almost nothing like" then sure. I think Matteo puts on a show for them, but he certainly doesn't act like one.

darkeningday wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:

Um, but Chavismo *is* analogous to several strains of communism....

Sure, if you consider, like...North Korea communist.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:07 am 

I used to live in a village full of leghisti, and a lot of them spoke about killing immigrants. They didn't change their tune when Salvini came to town for a drink, either.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:49 am 

What are the chances of a new Brexit referendum happening anyway? It is painfully obvious that the goings on across the pond is essentially the biggest shitshow in Europe this century.

Might as well give the people one last chance to correct their idiotic 2016 mistake, because clearly politicians on both sides of the debate have their heads firmly entrapped betwixt their arse cheeks.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
because clearly politicians on both sides of the debate have their heads firmly entrapped betwixt their arse cheeks.

I'm sorry, what would be the both sides in this case?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:04 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
because clearly politicians on both sides of the debate have their heads firmly entrapped betwixt their arse cheeks.

I'm sorry, what would be the both sides in this case?

Pro-Brexit is just fucking around without any clue as to what they even want, aside from collapsing the British economy. However, I think the anti-Brexit side could have done a better job at wresting control over the process from the Brexiteers - it just seems to me with yet another deadline looming neither side is really getting anywhere.

Of course, as an American, I know little about British politics. But in American politics it's kind of the same thing - both sides with head-in-ass syndrome. I'm liberal, and people on the left have some really good ideas, especially to fight people on the wrong side of history (Republicans), but there seems to be a disunity between the establishment and the progressive wings when at this point in time there needs to be much more unity. There needs to be a "vote blue no matter who" mindset - but that's enough I will say about American politics.

So in Britain, the anti-Brexit side needs to have a "vote Stay no matter the way" (don't @ me, not my best rhyme) to defeat Brexit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:16 pm 

At the root of the problem is that it's not two sides, but three. Tories, being the prime minister party, are pro-brexit, but they're divided between no-deal and deal. Labour, the main opposition party, is divided between brexit and remain (at least the leavers in Labour are not no-dealers). When things take a majority to progress in any direction, and the parliament is divided in three factions, it's an impasse.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm 

Trump is not even a neo-con, he's a business democrat. He has done nothing fascistic. Exorcizing existing border laws does not make anyone fascistic. Several presidents before, including Obama, have complained about illegal immigration. Trump is finally exorcizing existing law and only now do people think illegal immigration is not a problem. Before, the only people who actually wanted open borders where the corporations who saw immigrants as cheap laborers, now you're telling me you don't care if immigrants become slaves to corporations? You people have completely lost the plot.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:55 pm 

"Exorcizing existing law" is a very accurate description of the Donald Trump presidency.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
Trump is not even a neo-con, he's a business democrat. He has done nothing fascistic.

Yeah. Riling up his base against a certain demographic of people isn't fascistic at all. Nor is locking people from that specfic demographic up in camps for an indefinite amount of time without basic care, separating children from parents, causing irrevocable damage to their development, or letting a kid die here and there. Nothing fascistic about it.

Fascism can also only mean one specific thing and there is definitely no way to categorize fascistic things by severity.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next