Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:28 pm 

Can someone recommend a freebie MP3 editor? I have songs with bullshit long intros ("Live It Up" from Airbourne doesn't start for about 90 seconds) but I'm hoping to find a free one.

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:38 pm 

The one I always have used is Audacity, though some years earlier it was a problem that it exported the files in 128 kbps, but that's been fixed and it's really easy to use. Now you can export it in whatever bittate you want.

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:46 am 

Audacity is free and should do the trick. I also use Adobe Audition.

I'd recommend you edit the files in FLAC though. You can then convert them to mp3 with Audacity. If you edit an mp3 you are going to loose some quality when you export (imagine doing a photocopy of a photocopy etc, each photocopy is going to have less quality).

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:09 pm 

Won't you also lose some quality when you edit in FLAC and convert to mp3 since Audacity uses the LAME encoder, which is arguably not the best encoder (it's open-source though I believe, so that's why they use it). LAME is definitely not bad, I'm just saying that a lot of mp3 files are probably encoded with a better encoder than LAME, which means that you might lose some quality.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:29 pm 

Tekdeth wrote:
Won't you also lose some quality when you edit in FLAC and convert to mp3 since Audacity uses the LAME encoder, which is arguably not the best encoder (it's open-source though I believe, so that's why they use it). LAME is definitely not bad, I'm just saying that a lot of mp3 files are probably encoded with a better encoder than LAME, which means that you might lose some quality.

You are always going to lose quality when you convert to mp3. I'm not sure about LAME not being the best encoder, Hydrogenaudio still recommends it as far as I know.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=LAME

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 pm 

Some edits to MP3 files can be done without decoding so you don't lose any more quality in the process. mp3DirectCut is one such program, though I've never used it myself.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 pm 

https://audiotrimmer.com/

You can do it online, NO mp3 quality change ( -Fixed [AudioTrimmer.com] will be placed in the file name). Just don't use fade in/out because it will produce a 128kbps crap.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 am 

I could never get used to the changes Adobe made and still use the Audition predecessor CoolEdit Pro for such purposes. That's ancient software but amazing in its sheer simplicity.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic