Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 am 

In disbelief at searching for “The Witcher” in here and seeing no results, thought I’d start this and see what happens.
I’m currently playing the third game in the series, having played through the first and second a while back. I’ve also played the video game of the adventure board game. I’ve yet to read any of the books.
But with a world so full of fantasy imagery, light and dark, elves and dwarfs, bards and monster, fiction and mythology and religion, I’d imagine many metal fans are into this franchise.
I’m somewhat surprised there aren’t more bands writing about this in the way that a decade or two ago bands wrote about Warhammer and bands have always written about Tolkienian and Lovecraftian things.
So maybe fans of The Witcher franchise could post here. Fan art, merch, dread at the thought of Henry Cavill playing Geralt, favourite books?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 am 

Everyone here loves Eldric, worry not.

In all seriousness, the third Witcher game is one of most cynical and artistically bankrupt games of the 21st century, and the amount of harm its success has caused the games industry (especially regarding action-RPGs) cannot be understated. It has its finer points, with regard to music and atmosphere, but the game itself feels like a focus-tested Ubisoft for edgy 14 year old white American boys. There's no ghost in that machine.

Witcher 1 had brilliant quests and Witcher 2 had some top-notch writing though, so it's not a total wash.

Also, this discussion should probably just be relegated to the Video Game thread, as the game simply isn't good or notable enough to have its own.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:54 am 

There's a fairly active Vidya Game thread. You'll probably get more bites there.

I tried The Witcher III but it did nothing for me. Combat was hella stiff and boring, and I tend to be directionless in open world games. Just like real life!

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 am 

When I think of The Witcher I think of the books, although I suppose a lot of people would think of the video games (like these BIG Marvel fans who've never read the comics). I haven't read the books though, I think they're just short stories, or are there actual novels?

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:36 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
When I think of The Witcher I think of the books, although I suppose a lot of people would think of the video games (like these BIG Marvel fans who've never read the comics). I haven't read the books though, I think they're just short stories, or are there actual novels?

From my understanding, some are short story collections, others are novels.

I know there’s a video games thread but thought given this began in books perhaps some had read them or had opinions on upcoming tv series or whatnot. Perhaps I should’ve merely mentioned it in the video game thread instead. I suppose the other thing is The Witcher III came out a few years back so people have moved on and the books don’t get much attention unless you’re looking for them, it would seem.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:48 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Everyone here loves Eldric, worry not.

In all seriousness, the third Witcher game is one of most cynical and artistically bankrupt games of the 21st century, and the amount of harm its success has caused the games industry (especially regarding action-RPGs) cannot be understated. It has its finer points, with regard to music and atmosphere, but the game itself feels like a focus-tested Ubisoft for edgy 14 year old white American boys. There's no ghost in that machine.

Witcher 1 had brilliant quests and Witcher 2 had some top-notch writing though, so it's not a total wash.

Also, this discussion should probably just be relegated to the Video Game thread, as the game simply isn't good or notable enough to have its own.

*darkeningday takes a huge whiff of his own farts*

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:10 am 

All the armors, weapons, creatures, and music were ported as mods for skyrim so never had a reason to play the actual game haha.

Reply to topic