Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm 

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston Bruins (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (2nd Eastern Conference wild card)
The Columbus Blue Jackets pulled off one of the biggest upsets in sports history (and the most shocking sweep in NHL history) as they swept the Presidents' Trophy winning Tampa Bay Lightning in four straight in the first round of the playoffs. The series win was the first time in franchise history the Blue Jackets have advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs. In the second round of the playoffs, they will face the Boston Bruins, who defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs in seven games in the first round. This marks the first time Columbus and Boston face each other in the playoffs. Boston won two of the three regular season meetings.

Prediction: Boston in seven games.

New York Islanders (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (1st Eastern Conference wild card)
The Carolina Hurricanes, who qualified for the playoffs for the first time in 10 years (and thus for the only time in the 2010s) made their sole 2010s era playoff appearance more than memorable, as they shocked the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Washington Capitals, in the first round of the playoffs. They face the New York Islanders, who defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins in the opening round. The Islanders won three of the four games during the regular season between the two teams. This marks the first meeting between the Hurricanes and Islanders in the playoffs.

Prediction: Carolina in seven games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

San Jose Sharks (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. Colorado Avalanche (2nd Western Conference wild card)
The Colorado Avalanche, who were the second wild card in the Western Conference, took only five games to extinguish the Calgary Flames in the opening round. In the second round, they will face the San Jose Sharks, who defeated the Vegas Golden Knights in seven. San Jose won every game during the regular season against Colorado. The two teams have met each other in the playoffs four times, with San Jose winning two and Colorado winning two. San Jose won the most recent meeting in 2010.

Prediction: San Jose in six games.

St. Louis Blues (3rd in Central Division) vs. Dallas Stars (1st Western Conference wild card)
The Dallas Stars managed to win their first playoff series in years when they surprised the Nashville Predators in the opening round. They face the St. Louis Blues, who defeated the Winnipeg Jets in six games in round one. Dallas won three of the four regular season meetings. The two teams last met in the playoffs in 2016, when Dallas defeated St. Louis in seven games in the opening round.

Prediction: St. Louis in six games.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 am 

I hope the Avs make shark stew out of San Jose. But they probably won't if they continue to play like they did today :(

edit: That being said, I was absolutely a Sharks fan for the game 7 versus the Golden Knights. Incredible game, probably one of the most memorable I've ever seen. I'll always root for the Avs, but the fuckin Sharks are the only team I would be content with beating them. They need a cup, especially before Thorton retires.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 am 

Yes, the fans still filled the stands, but I think the Islanders moving the rest of the playoffs to the Barclays Center was bad mojo.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 am 

Not one team I can honestly root for at this point..... At least last year had the spectacle of washington, or Vegas with its rise out of nowhere. I will keep watching because I have the feeling Boston may actually take it to the final. We will see.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:52 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I will keep watching because I have the feeling Boston may actually take it to the final

I'd love that, but the top line needs to find their scoring touch again. Granted, this has been a goalie duel so far, but Panarin and Duchene are scoring for CBJ, while the B's second defense pair and 3rd/4th lines are having to end up putting the points on the board. Should be interesting to see how the momentum shifts going into Columbus for games 3 and 4.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:23 pm 

Carolina’s so weird. Only made the playoffs 4 times in the last 17 years, but each time they’ve made at least the Conference Final. Looks like they’ll be doing that again!

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:35 pm 

Fans of some teams complain to have lost the series because their stunning rookie player got knocked out. Fans of some teams say they have lost the series because their starting goaltender got injured. And then there's Carolina. I admire their resilience and laugh at all those who said they had no fans and that they should move to Quebec City. I admire their discipline and laugh at all those who claimed they are just a bunch of jerks who aren't taking things seriously. At this point, I wish them good luck to go all the way and win the cup.

Reply to topic