Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:42 am 

...and it's fuckin' awesome. The influences from Kraftwerk are more obvious than ever and Till sounds great.

I know Rammstein are not metal, but they arguably cater to a lot of metalheads so I was wondering if there is any love for the band here on Metal Archives. Would be awesome to hear your opinions on the band and the new album. So far my favorite tracks so far are "Sex", "Radio", "Tattoo", "Ausländer" and "Puppe" but I really dig everything on the record.

Thoughts?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:56 am 

I found out they're "back" from a friend who plays in a Rammstein tribute... watched the Radio vid, wasn't moved much. I might give it a listen if I have the chance, but not gonna seek it out.

Spoiler: show
there's a song titled "Sex"? :D

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm 

I think it's probably their worst album to date but they are a metal band in my book. I really hated Ausslander the first time I heard it but now I can't get it out of my head.

Deutchland (both the song and the video) is great though.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 pm 

Nowz zhee time of Sprockets ven ve donsse!
(late 80's Saturday night live reference, for you younger generation.)

I have nothing against this band, really- they were a decent industrial rock band and were okay for what they were. Their stuff was always kind of metal and kind of, well, not; really. I'd probably give this a cursory listen and might even like some of it. For the record, I actually did kind of like Kraftwerk.

ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:53 pm 

Yeah, found them in 1995 and have been a fan ever since. The first half of the new album is pretty good, second half not so much except for the song Tattoo. It's better than Leibe ist fur Alle da, but that's it. They've been a little different since Sehnsucht, although not in a terrible way. Mutter and Reise, Reise are good listens and I enjoy them. Rosenrot was Reise, Reise b-sides that had a couple of decent songs, but after that... Will give the new one a few more listens to let it settle a bit more.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:49 am 

You know, I've always considered Rammstein to be a guilty pleasure of mine. The drums are simple and unimaginative, the guitar playing is mostly just repetitive chugging power chords, and the songs are, for the most part, straight-forward; and yet....I like it....a lot. I would say it's mostly because of Till Lindemann; his baritone voice, his crooning, his pronunciations, how he rolls his R's, and just how he's able to adequately sing in some instances (Like on Seeman or Klavier) while in other instances sound like a complete madman (Like on Mein Teil or Puppe). However, I could never get through an entire album in one sitting. It's music that's fun to listen to in short 30-minute bursts, but anything more than that I'm bored to tears. It's mostly because, again, it's very simple, straight-forward music.

That being said, I really like this new album. For a while it seemed the band was running out of steam. Rosenrot, as ambientsorrow has already pointed out, was essentially a B-sides album and it shows, while I found the following album, Liebe Ist Für Alle Da, to be too goddamn streamlined; it just sounded stripped down, with the keyboards and the usual Rammstein "atmosphere" missing throughout the majority of the album (still a few songs I ended up loving though, like Ich Tu Dir Weh or Frühling In Paris). It's just my least favorite Rammstein album overall. On this new album however, Rammstein seems to have reclaimed their groove. Good catchy lyrical melody, good loud music to bang your head to, and a nice usage of electronic music elements that keeps the songs interesting; something I felt was missing on their last album. Perhaps I need to listen to it some more, but as of right now I feel the album is up there with the first four albums when it comes to sheer quality. Worst of the best stuff however, but still quality stuff.

One other thing that makes this band interesting are their music videos. They're one of the few bands that make full-blown, fully produced videos with costumes, sets, and special effects. And they're extremely entertaining, Keine Lust being one good example. I mean, I was laughing like a maniac when I first saw Till Lindemann singing, headbanging, and making all those spastic movements in that fat-suit. So you can imagine my excitement, after all these years, when the music video for Deutschland was released, for it was, yet again, the band doing one of the things they do best, which is making kickass, extravagant music videos.

Just a fun band. Nothing "special" per se, but a fun, fun fucking band nonetheless.

I know this is a long post but I have one quick question:

What's the overall feedback on Rammstein from the European countries, specifically Germany? Because, Lindemann may sound "cool", "edgy", and "intimidating" to a person who doesn't speak German, but some of their songs, when translated, are actually kind of stupid. Like with Sonne, when the chorus is translated, it simply says:
one, here comes the sun
two, here comes the sun
three, she's the brightest star of all
four, here comes the sun

Or with Keine Lust, where a good chunk of the song is just him saying, "I don't feel like it" over and over again. Or in Benzin, when he yells, "BENZIN!" over and over again, which would be equivalent to an English singer yelling, "GASOLINE!" over and over again, which is a little....silly. So, is this one of those situations where non-German speakers are like, "yea, this band is fucking epic!" while German speakers are just like, "Jesus, this band is fucking stupid!"?

Can anyone comment on this?

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:05 am 

aloof wrote:

Spoiler: show
there's a song titled "Sex"? :D

Of course there is :-D

Gravetemplar wrote:
I think it's probably their worst album to date but they are a metal band in my book. I really hated Ausslander the first time I heard it but now I can't get it out of my head.

Give it a few more spins, I'm pretty sure this is a grower. I mean it's gonna be hard to top Sehnsucht and Sonne but I think it's much better than both Rosenrot and Liebe Ist Für Alle Da. Just listen to fuckin "Puppe" hehe.

ambientsorrow wrote:
Yeah, found them in 1995 and have been a fan ever since. The first half of the new album is pretty good, second half not so much except for the song Tattoo. It's better than Leibe ist fur Alle da, but that's it. They've been a little different since Sehnsucht, although not in a terrible way. Mutter and Reise, Reise are good listens and I enjoy them. Rosenrot was Reise, Reise b-sides that had a couple of decent songs, but after that... Will give the new one a few more listens to let it settle a bit more.

I've also been listening to Rammstein since forever and I like almost everything they've done except for a few songs on Rosenrot. I think the second half has some pretty dope stuff as well altough I wish the album had one more song in the vein of Feuer Frei or Links 2-3-4. Then again I love how much space they gave Flake concidering how it turned out, I really love his contributions.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:26 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:

I know this is a long post but I have one quick question:

What's the overall feedback on Rammstein from the European countries, specifically Germany? Because, Lindemann may sound "cool", "edgy", and "intimidating" to a person who doesn't speak German, but some of their songs, when translated, are actually kind of stupid. Like with Sonne, when the chorus is translated, it simply says:
one, here comes the sun
two, here comes the sun
three, she's the brightest star of all
four, here comes the sun

Or with Keine Lust, where a good chunk of the song is just him saying, "I don't feel like it" over and over again. Or in Benzin, when he yells, "BENZIN!" over and over again, which would be equivalent to an English singer yelling, "GASOLINE!" over and over again, which is a little....silly. So, is this one of those situations where non-German speakers are like, "yea, this band is fucking epic!" while German speakers are just like, "Jesus, this band is fucking stupid!"?

Can anyone comment on this?

I've been to Germany more times than I can count and I'd say they are pretty damn popular there. They headline festivals, sell out shows and I've even met people who went to their concerts with their grandparents (I just LOL when I think about what my grandparents would say if they saw Rammstein live :-D). I mean of course there are a shitload of Germans who don't like Rammstein but It's probably one of the most known bands in the country.

About the lyrics: I think sometimes it's a case of the true meaning of the song getting lost in translation. I mean you can translate their lyrics to english word for word but that doesn't mean that you fully understand what they are saying. And then again, some of his lyrics are ment to be stupid/funny while others are pretty deep ("Benzin" vs "Deutschland" for example).

There's also different layers to the lyrics. Take "Mann Gegen Mann", it could be seen as making fun of the macho ideals of metal/industrial but on another plane it could also be seen as a critique of homophobia.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am 

this forum works, I got a copy from a local friend who saw my previous post! :D

listening now. auslander is an excellent earworm. I love the vocal delivery on puppe, but it also grates... :/

with regards to SuperVeji4's lyrical discussion, they're not as one-dimensional as you'd have us believe. sure, they do have gibberish lyrics that were 99% written to sound cool/anthemic to non-german speakers, but they also have heartfelt and properly intelligent ones... spieluhr is my favourite song of theirs, and it breaks my heart everytime. moskau will strike a chord with anyone who has lived far from home. fruhling in paris is... well, that's more personal, but you get the idea :)

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm 

The new album indeed whips ass. Just super catchy and fun. They do really well with the dancey rhythms. Love to jam it at the gym.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:50 am 

I think Rammstein is pretty easily the best in the exclusive club of "not metal but frequently mislabeled as such but loved by metalheads anyway". Overall I like the new album, it's certainly better than LIFAD but it has a bit more filler than I'd like, but then again that's pretty par for the course for any Rammstein album. I'd love for them to make something as good as Sehnsucht or Mutter again but I think it's pretty clear that they're far beyond their prime at this point. Deutschland, Zeig Dich, Auslander, and Puppe all stood out on first listen but I feel like it'll probably grow on me.

CynicalDux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:25 am 

I used to be an hardcore fan of the band in the mid 90s until early 2000s, I was even a member of the official "Fan-Club" which was shut down in 2004 if I recall correctly. After attending a lot of gigs of the band, I stopped listening to them when I discovered old school Thrash like Sodom and Kreator...

A few days ago I tried to listen again the entire Rammstein discography. Strangely I found it bearly listenable, some album like "Herzeleid" felt so outdated and simplistic I could not finish it. On the other hand, talking about industrial music, I can listen to any Ministry with great pleasure, but rammstein, it's a bit cheesy to me and that last album is no exception.

That being said, on stage that's still an outstanding show, even the LAB is still legendary.

gunnar_jarl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 am 

I must confess that I liked Rammstein a lot when I was younger, especially since it was a group that I "discovered" with my closest friend. Went to some concerts and they are always a huge act. From those days I have kept on listening to Rammstein, also because of nostalgic feelings. Some albums I like more, Mutter, Reise Reise (most of it at least) and Rosenrot. Obviously I got me the new album, but it somewhat didn't impress me that much. The tracks are good, as usually well performed and Til's vocals are always of great quality. I don't fancy the electro-dance tones in it but I can get the meaning behind it. Rammstein never made a mistery of the fact that they flirt with the electro-techno-dance/new wave aspect of music, but in older works this has been less evident.

I can appreciate the desire to renovate and propose something a little bit different, personally I kinda like this album (at least most of it) but more of an affectionate point of view.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:11 pm 

Here is my review of the record: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/ignition-a- ... a163888982

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 am 

I really like this record. Puppe is probably my favourite track on the album but I don’t dislike any of it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 pm 

I feel like it's almost like Reise Reise 2. Definitely tons of alt-rock influence, but there are a couple classic NDH tracks as well. Schneider's drum sound kicks ass as usual. One of the standout tracks for me is Puppe, just because of Lindemann's vocal accents that sound like he's crying.

https://therealdiamond02.bandcamp.com/ - My project - Metalcore Melding Mayhem

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:09 pm 

Purchased it physically a couple of days ago, and heard twice so far. Loving it. I just don't get the limited edition though, which just looks like a cashgrab to me because the only difference is in the packaging. No bonus tracks, no bonus DVD, nothing... *shrugs*

Barenulbo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 am 

I am a huge fan of Rammstein, and I have to say that this album marks the end of Rammstein. I would not even call it ''metal''. This will probably be their last album, and it's kinda sad how badly they ended their career with such a joke of an album.

Reply to topic