Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:12 pm 

The way COVID has fueled the rise of right-wing terrorism is both interesting and harrowing-- looking in the United States at the increasing visibility of the militia movement and the plot to kidnap government officials in retaliation for COVID public health measures. I hadn't heard of Conings, but the fact that people actually feel emboldened to publicly support him sure says something about the radicalization of the right in western democracies.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 am 

Ezadara wrote:
The way COVID has fueled the rise of right-wing terrorism is both interesting and harrowing-- looking in the United States at the increasing visibility of the militia movement and the plot to kidnap government officials in retaliation for COVID public health measures. I hadn't heard of Conings, but the fact that people actually feel emboldened to publicly support him sure says something about the radicalization of the right in western democracies.

They've adopted a sort of cod-1950s uniform of pressed shirt and brown overcoat here - every time I see someone dressed that way on the news, I just switch off - it's always some nutter blathering on about FREEDOM and whatnot.

In other news - got my first dose (Pfizer) and booked in for the second in August.

Bad news about the various Sinovac/Sinopharm efforts; seems like actual coverage is quite patchy. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/06/china-ramps-up-vaccinations-as-other-countries-back-away-from-its-vaccines/

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:12 pm 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-daily-covid-19-cases-rise-back-above-20-000-as-cases-and-deaths-increase-for-3rd-straight-day-11623341367?siteid=yhoof2

Case counts are slowly starting to rise again here in the US, and the vaccination rate is slowing down. As expected, the states that are full of conspiracy theory gobbling nutjobs are the ones that are slacking.

I'm at a loss at this point as to what can be done to get these selfish pricks to do what is needed to get this under control. These states are even offering people trucks and guns to get vaccinated (which is telling of the demographic that's refusing the shot). They whine about getting the economy started back up while simultaneously refusing to do what is needed for that to happen, and when another surge happens and places start shutting down again, i'm willing to bet they are gonna start whining about "getting back to work" again.

Same crowd of people who deny the scientific and medical community's advice from people who actually went to school for this and have been prepared for decades for an event like this, yet they're all ears for some potbellied chud filming a Youtube video on his phone about "The Truth behind COVID". Bunch of redneck Karens.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:13 pm 

"We want out of this situation, and we are prepared to do exactly nothing about it!"

EDIT: I wouldn't even be surprised if some of these sad fucks chose to not get vaccinated out of spite for Fauci and Biden. Getting a contagious pulmonary disease to "pwn the libz!"

KayBur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:28 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-daily-covid-19-cases-rise-back-above-20-000-as-cases-and-deaths-increase-for-3rd-straight-day-11623341367?siteid=yhoof2

Case counts are slowly starting to rise again here in the US, and the vaccination rate is slowing down. As expected, the states that are full of conspiracy theory gobbling nutjobs are the ones that are slacking.

I'm at a loss at this point as to what can be done to get these selfish pricks to do what is needed to get this under control. These states are even offering people trucks and guns to get vaccinated (which is telling of the demographic that's refusing the shot). They whine about getting the economy started back up while simultaneously refusing to do what is needed for that to happen, and when another surge happens and places start shutting down again, i'm willing to bet they are gonna start whining about "getting back to work" again.

Same crowd of people who deny the scientific and medical community's advice from people who actually went to school for this and have been prepared for decades for an event like this, yet they're all ears for some potbellied chud filming a Youtube video on his phone about "The Truth behind COVID". Bunch of redneck Karens.

It seems to me that all these "couch experts" and lovers of conspiracy theory should be sent to prisons and mental hospitals. The fewer idiots who spread idiotic ideas, the healthier our society is emotionally.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:15 am 

Question for my American friends here - are your local / county / state / etc. governments all doing different things for COVID ? much joined up thinking going on there ?

It's getting quite silly here in the UK - the 'central' government is doing one thing (and affects England mainly, as there's no extra layer there), and then the local governments in Wales, Scotland, NI are all doing something slightly different, using different terminology, and announcing their stuff at different times. When in every other practical sense it's one country, it's painful having to scour half a dozen different press releases to work out what's what within a 30 mile radius of my house. Seems like the kind of situation where the grownup thing to do would be have one committee deciding the macro stuff at a high level, but noooooo, that'd almost make it seem like the fourth & fifth levels of government created to generate jobs for the girls & boys in the know aren't really necessary.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:17 pm 

^ Where I am, the workplace rules are a state thing. Masks aren’t required, if you’re fully vaccinated, but my workplace still requires them. They have an optional survey, asking if you’re vaccinated, you just write in the relevant information, rather than the obvious thing, showing the vaccination card, or a photo of it. They say that they’ll use the information to consider changing mask rules, maybe. I had two doses of moderna, at the chain big box drug store, a short walk from my house, it was free, because I have insurance. I went to the store, to get beer, yesterday, and the woman behind the counter was reminding someone that she didn’t need a mask, if she was vaccinated. She said she worked in medicine, and it was so second mature to her. I wasn’t wearing one(only became legal two days before), and I wasn’t even asked if I was vaccinated. I know some stores still require it, but generally, people think that what they can’t see can’t affect them. If you live in this country though, and don’t have a vaccination, it’s because you don’t want it. The government bought more than enough. And even if you don’t have insurance, you can just go to some place that’s doing injections, and if there’s a canceled appointment, or they took too many out of the refrigerator, they’ll just give it to you for free, if you don’t have insurance. When I got the first dose, I m(and several other people on the sidewalk) was asked if I wanted a free one, before I walked in the store, and I said that I had an appointment.

Edit: about 5 hours after I posted that, I went into a supermarket. I had a mask with me, but wasn’t wearing it, I didn’t know if it was required. That was Friday, and the repeal of mandatory masks, was Tuesday. Some people were wearing them, some people weren’t. I wasn’t asked if I was fully vaccinated. I am, but didn’t have my vaccine card with me. Obviously, they didn’t ask anyone. This state has a higher rate of vaccination, but don’t be surprised, if you see more outbreaks, and new varieties, somewhere else.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:48 am 

Masks are now the honor system which is what it was always going to be.

There are a lot of dudes expressing their freedom with zero vaccinations right now.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:41 am 

I haven't been employed since October of 2020 due to this. I was among the first vaccinated in the UK due to mental health issues and minor autism, but sitting at home almost constantly is a real struggle. I've actually said goodbye to some very old friends as they came out as anti-vaccers and COVID deniers, which was deeply unsettling to me as I know people personally who contracted the disease and lost loved ones.

We are not technically under lockdown here but we are still in enforced restrictions. For the last eight weeks or so, I've been going into various stores and no one even bothers to wear a mask or question it anymore. This is a world that I am struggling to adjust to and cope with. I don't really know why I am posting this here. I guess I want to feel I am not alone and extend a friendly reachout if anyone is in the same situation and would like to share experiences and have someone to talk to. Stay safe everyone.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:31 pm 

Just got my 2nd dose today.
Getting my "FUCK SARS! WE WANT LARS" sign ready for how many times I'm going to see Metallica before they hang it up.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 am 

The local hardcore punk scene here held a show on Saturday and there was probably 2k+ heads in attendance. It was some of the raddest shit I've ever seen. We have a pretty high vaccination rate here and no one I know is expressing symptoms yet. I suppose we'll find out soon enough if things can truly be back to normal for music.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:17 pm 

On the 24th, last Thursday, my workplace said that if fully vaccinated, you no longer had to wear a mask. I took it off, and threw it away. It was one of those disposable ones, that I’d had for months. It was deeply stained, from my sweat, and people told me I could get a new free one, but why bother, I told them, I would wear it until the rules were lifted. I was wearing bandannas, because they’re better, longer lasting, washable, and not going in a landfill, until last November, when they told me that bandannas weren’t allowed, even though their own signs say they are. I wore a neck gaiter, and was told the same thing, by my supervisor, even though both things were worn by people in other departments.

Thankfully, I didn’t need to listen to the arbitrary bullshit anymore. I left work that day, for the store, I bought some infernal mezcal, in celebration. And I was wearing my fucking Slayer “show no mercy” shirt, and the cashier said ‘hell yeah brother, fucking Slayer.’ Five days later, Tuesday, I was riding my bike to work, and some piece of metal debris popped my tire. It wasn’t worth patching the tube, and I was almost at work, so I walked. I was able to get a ride with someone, that day. The next day, I saw my brother, who works at a bike shop, and has lots of bike paraphernalia, that he gets for free, who gave me a free new tube. But I took the bus to work that day. Going to work, the driver claimed that the transportation security agency said that bandannas aren’t allowed. He let me on. But claimed I would have to get a face mask, or the driver wouldn’t let me on, to get home. Fuck that, I walked home. It only took 65 minutes, and I was not going to play their stupid games. What a joke. Fat fucks claiming they can’t breath through a surgical mask, and pulling it down under their noses get overlooked, meanwhile, I actually have a job, and don’t have children, so I, you know, pay taxes, so there can even be buses in the first place, and get shit from these idiots. I guess that surgical mask manufacturers are smart about where they give donation money. I walked a short, 5 mile distance, rather than give $1 to some institution that chooses to speak to me with such disrespect.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 pm 

Most of Australia is back in lockdown. Our government is completely incompetent. Vaccine rollout has been too slow and when the new outbreak flared up, lockdown was initially no option. And now we are locked down but it's both too late and not completely enforced. It's been a massive debacle. People are wearing masks and generally complying but it shouldn't have happened in the first place if our Prime Minister got his act together.

Our satirical news sites similar to America's The Onion have been enjoying this.

Spoiler: show

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:26 am 

All Metal wrote:
Getting intense - My friend called me and is heavily considering not leaving his house with his wife and new born baby. He lives out in the country, half hour drive to Gatineau, Quebec, Canada which has a metro population as of 2016 of 332,057, which is across the St. Lawrence River to Ottawa (1,323,783 metro population). He's concerned it's going to be millions of deaths at the end of it all and already cleared his local store of rice and lentils and took his long gun course and is planning on hunting to survive - Doomsday scenario.

Is he overly paranoid?

Did this guy come back to civilization?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:39 am 

Fully vaccinated. About time.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:53 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Congrats! Still waiting for my second shot in August.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:35 pm 

I have my second dose scheduled for this Saturday. Good thing too, since there's a bit of a recent outbreak where I live. Coincidentally enough this happened right after some restrictions were lifted.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:02 pm 

Death Mantra wrote:
I have my second dose scheduled for this Saturday. Good thing too, since there's a bit of a recent outbreak where I live. Coincidentally enough this happened right after some restrictions were lifted.

Netherlands, by any chance?

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:30 pm 

Nah, Canada. I thought living in a small town would reduce the odds of something like this happening. Guess not.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:18 am 

I'm fully vaccinated, but the thing is, the Delta strain is starting to show up more and more in different parts of the world (I'm in the U.S. and some stats say about %10 of U.S. cases are now Delta strain) and it's much more contagious and also more dangerous than regular covid.

Yes, according to most sites most vaccines like Mrna ones like Ffizer and Moderna (I got Moderna) make you about 88% unlikely to need to be hospitalized even if you do get the Delta strain, (I think Astrenzeneca is slightly less effective) but for those who DON'T get vaccinated or the immuno-compromized it's going to most likely become the dominant strain and it could really wreak havoc.

Like, I've been out of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since covid started but thinking of going back but most of these guys refuse to get vaccinated (don't ask me why) and for people like them they could eventually be spreading it around.

More and more of what I've heard and read on the news suggest that the gap between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated is going to become bigger and bigger if the delta strain continues to spread.

So for myself and those who are vaccinated I'm not very concerned, but for those who aren't they're going to be putting eachother at risk because it's even killed or seriously effected people as young as 30.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:57 pm 

There, just got my second dose. After a couple weeks for it to kick in, I can relax a bit. I have no issues wearing a mask, so I'll still continue to do so when grocery shopping or whatever. Vaccinated or not, I still don't feel completely safe from this virus and I don't want to contract it under any circumstances. Any anti-masker/vaxxer who catches the delta variant won't get any sympathy from me.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:55 pm 

Got poked for the second time today. Hopefully the side effects don't totally suck.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:48 am 

I got the Pfizer shots, felt hungover the next day. That's about it though, my parents both got the Moderna vax and were suuper sick but my brother, who also got Moderna, felt the same as I did. My parents are in their 60's though so that's the prime age for feeling COVID effects.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:40 am 

Moderna here. I feel like I've been hit by a truck (real bad hangover) and I think its significantly worse after the 2nd dose than the 1st. Nothing too horrible though.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 am 

After the 2nd Pfizer shot my arm hurt where I got the shot just like the first, but I also had the shivers and was laying in bed under the covers on an 85 degree day.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:55 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Congrats! Still waiting for my second shot in August.

Thanks!

I got two Pfizer shots. Sore arm with the first one and felt a bit tired the next day. Sore arm with the second one and no other secondary effects thankfully.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:14 pm 

Pfizer (1st) and Moderna (2nd) here. 1st shot I felt completely fine; even the arm wasn't that sore. 2nd shot I felt some goosebumps before going to bed and a little achy, but nothing too bad. Today I feel a bit burnt out and have an achy back and spine, but nothing I can't deal with. Hopefully it doesn't escalate beyond this, and glad I didn't teach today in case it did get worse.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:56 pm 

I was sick with Covid for a month back in December, almost had to go to the hospital but fought through it. Pretty much everyone in my family has had it, my 3 daughters, two grand daughters, my wife and my mom. My dad, who was the one we worried about the most, he is almost 80 and had a stroke last year, was the only one that didn't get it. As of now, we are all vaccinated, except for the grandchildren who are too young for it yet. My wife, my oldest daughter and I felt very sick after the 2nd shot, Pfizer, but it only lasted for about 12 hours with each of us.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:31 pm 

I got my full vaccination a little over two months ago. First shot didn't do anything but the second one gave me a raging headache and a poor night's sleep. I'm still wearing masks everywhere, though, because there are people I interact with on a regular basis who can't get the vaccine due to allergies.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:39 am 

Any of you report these adverse reactions to the relevant monitoring system in your country?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:58 am 

No.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:08 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Any of you report these adverse reactions to the relevant monitoring system in your country?

No. It's been discussed by myself and many of my friends and relatives and some had worse reactions, some had none but regardless they went away within a day. I have my own theory that those of us that had previously been infected had more of a reaction to the vaccine but that is from from personal, anecdotal experience and nothing else.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:54 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
schizoid wrote:

No. It's been discussed by myself and many of my friends and relatives and some had worse reactions, some had none but regardless they went away within a day. I have my own theory that those of us that had previously been infected had more of a reaction to the vaccine but that is from from personal, anecdotal experience and nothing else.

Here you can't get the second dose if you already passed the virus.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Here you can't get the second dose if you already passed the virus.

Interesting. Why is that?

I didn't disclose that I had had Covid in the paperwork nor did any of my family members, when we had our vaccinations. Besides having had it, I was also exposed to it at least two other times later but didn't get it. Also, I was originally scheduled for the J&J one shot but it got pulled a day before my appointment. Luckily, my provider offered the Pfizer for my date instead. I did mine at the height of when people were getting them, now you can just walk into anyplace that has them, no appointment needed.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:18 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:

I didn't disclose that I had had Covid in the paperwork nor did any of my family members, when we had our vaccinations. Besides having had it, I was also exposed to it at least two other times later but didn't get it. Also, I was originally scheduled for the J&J one shot but it got pulled a day before my appointment. Luckily, my provider offered the Pfizer for my date instead. I did mine at the height of when people were getting them, now you can just walk into anyplace that has them, no appointment needed.

According to my government, having passed it gives you the equivalent protection of one dose of most vaccines. Apparently they've also associated more dangerous reactions to having passed the virus and getting a second shot.

The other day I met a young woman who had passed it and had persistent symptoms. Basically, she had been left in a permanent state of tiredness and had constant headaches after 6 months. Apparently there are studies showing that people with permanent symptoms greatly improve upon getting the vaccine so she was trying to get a second dose but since she was in the system as already having passed the virus it wasn't deemed legal.

There's still a lot about this virus we don't know.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:13 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

There would be more known about it if people reported their adverse reactions to the injections, like they are supposed to. Whether you (or your doctor) consider it mild or serious, it's up to you. But if it's not reported, there is no data. Then no more is known.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

According to my government, having passed it gives you the equivalent protection of one dose of most vaccines. Apparently they've also associated more dangerous reactions to having passed the virus and getting a second shot.

The other day I met a young woman who had passed it and had persistent symptoms. Basically, she had been left in a permanent state of tiredness and had constant headaches after 6 months. Apparently there are studies showing that people with permanent symptoms greatly improve upon getting the vaccine so she was trying to get a second dose but since she was in the system as already having passed the virus it wasn't deemed legal.

There's a woman named Heidi Ferrer who died of Long Term Covid which I hadn't even heard of till I heard of her.

She wrote a couple episodes of Dawson's Creek years ago. Anyway, she wrote a real descriptive blog of what she was going through last year and it's a brutal, gut wrenching story. She went through a lot of suffering, but by the end of it was talking about how she was finally getting better and was happy about being "out of the woods" again. I'm not exactly sure about the timeline, but sometime between September of 2020 and May of this year the pain came back and she ended up taking her life.

Here's the article if you're interested: http://girltomom.com/covid-19/how-im-re ... haul-covid

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:04 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

There would be more known about it if people reported their adverse reactions to the injections, like they are supposed to. Whether you (or your doctor) consider it mild or serious, it's up to you. But if it's not reported, there is no data. Then no more is known.

I don't know what you're talking about, we aren't supposed to report anything here were I live.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:47 pm 

I don't believe you don't have institution in charge of these things in Spain. I have reported stuff (possible side effect to vaccine for my grandfather and my side effects to antihistamines) to Medicines and Medical Devices Agency of Serbia online and it worked smoothly, I was even contacted to clarify something and then I realised I sent wrong name of the drug, so I know they are reading reports very carefully.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:32 pm 

The official information given out right now by the Ministry of Health is that you should contact SEFV-H through a health professional (for example, a medical or nursing professional) if it's a very severe side effect and it wasn't described in the information of the vaccine that you have received (I assume they are referring to the leaflet). Hence why I said "we aren't supposed to report anything", although I should have added "unless it's really serious or extremely weird".

Maybe I misunderstood schizoid's message but it seemed to me he meant we should all contact the authorities with every adverse symptom we experience, which is useless and actually advised against as far as I know. If it's a weird adverse symptom you can (and should) contact a professional but actively reporting every mild reaction is impossible right now. The medical centers have mostly collapsed and we have a 7 days waiting queue just to get checked for minor stuff. In any case I'm not sure why that quote was directed to me since I've only had very minor side effects that were already well documented.

I guess you could also fill a Notification of Suspected Adverse Drug Reactions like on any other European country. https://www.notificaram.es/Pages/CCAA.a ... ack-button

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next