* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ACFAN8895
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:07 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Getting my second Moderna one next Monday. Good stuff. This is one of the brighter things going on for people, the vaccinations.

I got the Pfizer, but it's not like I gave a shit.

I'm sick to hell of the mask and would love for some kind of end to this crap.

I got the Pfizer one as well. It was my first dose. I can't wait for the Metal Zone chip to kick in. I can plug myself into my Orange CR120C and rock out.

Yeah, I can't wait to get out and about again. Between my funky nose and the fact that I wear glasses, the mask can be annoying. But, dying prematurely is a bit more of a downer.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 am 

It is quite a mess around here when it comes to vaccinations. I have no idea when I will get even my first shot. The incompetence of the EU politicians is staggering.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:43 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
It is quite a mess around here when it comes to vaccinations. I have no idea when I will get even my first shot. The incompetence of the EU politicians is staggering.

It's not incompetence. It's by design.
This is what you get when you're more concerned with making cars than with scientific research and public health.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:45 pm 

Well, I got my first shot of moderna today.

I've got the 2nd in a month, and 2 weeks after that i should be good to go and I'm going back to my life.

I mean sure it's not 100% effective, but it's pretty damn effective, and I'm comfortable enough with the protection it should offer me.

I'm looking forward to this being over.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:08 pm 

getting my second on the 24th of the Pfizer shot, we'll see how it goes. My arm was a tad sore the first go around but that's about it. The second apparently can hit you really hard. My parents both got their second moderna shots yesterday and today are pretty fluish.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:35 am 

Doug Ford authorized a police state in Ontario on Friday - random stops of anyone going outside o_O - but already 18 city or regional police departments have said to hell with it :thumbsup:
https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/n ... stop-law-2
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
getting my second on the 24th of the Pfizer shot, we'll see how it goes. My arm was a tad sore the first go around but that's about it. The second apparently can hit you really hard. My parents both got their second moderna shots yesterday and today are pretty fluish.

It seems to vary a lot, but from what I can tell, your first shot is a pretty good indicator of how the second will be. Two of my coworkers had pretty rough reactions to the first shot and they did even worse with the second. I had pretty much your reaction to the first shot, just some arm soreness, and in the days after the second shot the worst I had was a bit of the same soreness and a couple of hours of muscle sensitivity the day after. With any luck you'll have just as mild a response to the second shot as to the first.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:28 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Doug Ford authorized a police state in Ontario on Friday - random stops of anyone going outside o_O - but already 18 city or regional police departments have said to hell with it :thumbsup:

The OPP will be going through with it though. Or at least that's what it looks like on their social media. But yeah, you know it's fucked when even the police are denying orders from their government.

Fuck Ford, and fuck Trudeau. To hell with both of them; get them out of office.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:15 pm 

The federal government is doing about as much as it can given Canada's shortcomings.

We're a "have not" state, and this is just a consequence of it. We have no domestic capabilities for producing vaccines; previous governments over a period of 40 years figured it'd be easier and cheaper to rely on global economic markets for that - they were probably right on the cheaper front, but underestimated just how strong vaccine nationalism would be. Additionally, it takes time to set-up vaccine manufacturing, largely because you need to have that supply chain in place beforehand, and so while we're back to building facilities now, the earliest a facility can be ready is by the end of this year. So, as a country, we're stuck begging others for vaccines in the short-term. I think the country has done as best as we can there; we've signed an excessive number of contracts on the hope that manufacturers would prioritize us, and for the most part and despite inevitable delays from those manufacturers, they appear to be abiding by their contracts and in some cases even exceeding them. Hopefully by the time the US has vaccinated enough Americans by May or June, we'll start seeing their surplus sent up here, too. Canada isn't alone here, btw. Outside of the developing world, the EU is also suffering from the same problems we have. We're rich and wealthy, but not when it comes to this.

Beyond that, there isn't much the federal government can do. Like the EU, we also suffer from a very decentralized political system. In normal times, that's something we see as a positive; local governments have more say in the way things are run locally, which arguably means it's more democratic and citizens on a local level have more control over their own business. However, in times when there is a crisis, states with strong centralized governments - like the US - and authoritarian states benefit; they are better able to mobilize supply lines and take unified action on issues. The US isn't perfect there, since states do try to flex their own muscle, but their federal government has a lot more control over things than ours does. The best our federal government can hope for is to politely ask the provincial governments to take action, and maybe bully them by threatening to withhold funding... which the provincial governments always call their bluff, because they know Canadians would suffer if funding is withheld. This is especially the case when the federal and provincial governments don't meet eye-to-eye politically, and in our case it doesn't help how different our provinces are from the federal government on a partisan level. The federal government could enact the Emergencies Act, but I'm sure that would just make some provinces even more irrationally angry, stubborn, and unwilling to take action. So, in short, we can't get shit done as well as other places because we aren't an authoritarian state and/or a state where the federal government has almost all the power; take that for what it is.

One last bit on the restrictions. It's a mess, and it's dumb af, but a lot of this does rest on regular people. Viruses don't disappear after the first couple waves, and in this case, the variants make it even more infectious. This pandemic is going to last a long time, even with vaccines. At the same time, people are just getting more and more fatigued about this whole thing; we've been living in a perpetual state of lockdown, really, for over a year. There's no easy solutions here. You can't open things up, because that just causes more spread, which overwhelms hospitals and leads to more people dying - maybe not because of the virus, but because overwhelmed doctors will have to decide who lives and who dies even if in both cases the patients could have been saved otherwise. You can't also keep things closed indefinitely, because people just won't tolerate it after a while; they will need to work, will want to live their lives, and will decide the risks are worth it just to have some semblance of normality. It's selfish, but it's also human. Premier Ford has been awful about this, largely because his restrictions don't come with any other efforts to mitigate risks among workers (sick pay, priority vaccinating essential workers, etc.), but I do not blame the provincial government for trying to balance restrictions in the first place and not really knowing what to do here. It's all about managing peoples' behaviour, and that's really hard to do after a year.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:21 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP: damn straight! I hope not a single incumbent anywhere in this country thinks they can sit comfortably for the next election.

Derigin: the feds deserve their share of blame for years of allowing our emergency supply stockpiles to whittle down to nothing; and for being painfully slow both to mobilize what little we still had, and to shut down travel.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:14 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

The OPP will be going through with it though. Or at least that's what it looks like on their social media. But yeah, you know it's fucked when even the police are denying orders from their government.

The problem is, who the hell would replace Trudeau?

Conservatives? They have the least crazy leader in years (he actually recognizes climate change, wow, welcome to the 21str century guys!) but his party doesn't follow him in that and other issues.

NDP? Not sure they have matured into a governing party, although I'd love to see them form a coalition. But Singh is unlikely to make gains. And given the party's general lack of experience, I'm 100% convinced they'd have handled this as well as the Liberals, if not worse. Almost no leader on the planet was ready to face such a pandemic, and it's even worse when it was handled by newbs (like Québec's CAQ) or wannabes (like Trump).

Plus, the handling isn't so bad. We're middle of the pack, but given that we don't have the capacity for producing vaccines, we're not doing too bad.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Derigin: the feds deserve their share of blame for years of allowing our emergency supply stockpiles to whittle down to nothing; and for being painfully slow both to mobilize what little we still had, and to shut down travel.

This is where I sit as well, especially on the travel bit (admittedly I'm not as informed on the earlier point severzhavnost mentioned). @Derigin, I do think your post was quite well informed though on the government's structuring and how that's affecting our vaccine supply right now.

About travel - this is absolutely something where I'm slamming the Federal government, especially considering that the COVID variants are a huge part of our second/third wave (really they're the same, the second wave never stopped) and they came from abroad. As far as I know, international flights can still come into Pearson which is absolutely ridiculous considering how bad things are here in Ontario right now.

And I also question the validity of having to travel for work, especially considering how far technology has come and how large the company Zoom has grown over the past year. I did a large business conference/webinar last summer with people from literally all over the globe through Zoom (including people from even Lebanon and Malaysia), and while it wasn't fully the same as it was before in person but it still ran way better than expected and we all got what we needed from it. So unless you need to have your physical body there to perform a physical action that only you can do, I fail to see why you couldn't just hold your meetings over video. The way the Federal government has addressed the travel issue is showing a clear lack of care for Canadians, or at least not caring enough to address the problems where they're actually happening. Like unless you were already abroad and have to fly back home, why the hell did these variants even get here in the first place??

On that note, regarding giving the provincial government the benefit of the doubt - I would agree with you if Ford was making decisions that were actually based on where the problems are happening, instead of screwing over everyone else. When mentioning on Friday how the spikes in cases were from essential workers, he spoke of lots of construction workers (and I know they've had their rough ride too, my brother works in home renovation) but failed to mention schools when we've been hearing of outbreaks in them for months, both students and teachers getting it and bringing it home to their families. Then you take a look at the data and see how the second wave started spiking right around the time schools opened. Coincidence? I think not. But neither him nor his cabinet will admit to their fuck ups.

And look, I know it's been hard for the kids too, and for parents especially if both of them have to work and can't always be home with the kids. I'm a private music teacher and taught my kid students remotely for the better part of a year, and I see on their faces that they're hurting from this. We all have been. I think we'd be hurting a hell of a lot less if we didn't have to break the rules to have normalcy in our lives, and "deciding the risks are worth it" may not even be a factor, or at least be less. There's already been enough talk over the last few months of how the virus won't just go away because we're vaccinated, which means that at some point, we need to learn how to actually live with the virus. (Like you said, eventually people aren't going to tolerate it because they're tired of being locked up and I wouldn't be surprised if many went from one extreme to the next just to rebel.)

But nope. Fuck outdoor activities, even though they've been shown to be lower risk for transmitting the disease. Fuck the small businesses that have worked tirelessly to the point where their hands are dry, cracked and raw with excessive sanitation to keep things safe for their clients, when they've been seldom linked to outbreaks. But the big box stores are okay. A banker can't go get a haircut, but the hairdresser can go to the bank, and together they can go to Costco.

Doug Ford already backpeddled on restricting playgrounds, and more notably his police-state enforcement after literally the whole province revolted. https://thenationaltelegraph.com/region ... e-measures and when you have literal doctors questioning your methods and handling, it's time to seriously take note. At that point, yes I absolutely would blame the provincial government for not knowing what to do here.

So, Fuck Trudeau for not taking the steps necessary to REALLY protect his country, and fuck the incompetent bastard that is Doug Ford.

---

EDIT: Yes I am aware that schools are now closed in Ontario (took them way too long to do that), and that there are travel restrictions which in my opinion, should be much tighter than they are, and have still come way too late.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:35 pm 

Flippity, nailed it. The foreign variants should never have gotten in here.
The one thing I’ll concede to that bumbling fascist Ford, is that when Ontario schools reopened in February, it looked like we might pull it off. The first four weeks of massive testing in Ottawa schools (including one location at my old HS) detected a whopping 19 infections out of 4,000.
But then it got out of control, and Ford put on a clinic of dithering and fucking it up.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:54 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Flippity, nailed it. The foreign variants should never have gotten in here.
The one thing I’ll concede to that bumbling fascist Ford, is that when Ontario schools reopened in February, it looked like we might pull it off. The first four weeks of massive testing in Ottawa schools (including one location at my old HS) detected a whopping 19 infections out of 4,000.
But then it got out of control, and Ford put on a clinic of dithering and fucking it up.

Probably that long incubation period, coupled with waiting for a case to actually make it into a school before it spreads around the cesspool that it is. "Schools open = virus spreads" - gee, what a revelation.

(that sarcasm's not directed at you personally; moreso the situation itself)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 am 

Aaaaaand, Ted Nugent has tested positive. This comes less than 2 weeks after he asked why the world didn't shut down for COVIDs 1-18.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 am 

jimbies wrote:
Aaaaaand, Ted Nugent has tested positive. This comes less than 2 weeks after he asked why the world didn't shut down for COVIDs 1-18.

Oh no.

Anyway...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 am 

Got my second shot yesterday afternoon and after all the stuff I heard about how bad the side effects were for this, I feel pretty much perfectly fine so far.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 am 

jimbies wrote:

Sweet, sweet vengeance! (Or irony...?)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

The problem is, who the hell would replace Trudeau?

Conservatives? They have the least crazy leader in years (he actually recognizes climate change, wow, welcome to the 21str century guys!) but his party doesn't follow him in that and other issues.

NDP? Not sure they have matured into a governing party, although I'd love to see them form a coalition. But Singh is unlikely to make gains. And given the party's general lack of experience, I'm 100% convinced they'd have handled this as well as the Liberals, if not worse. Almost no leader on the planet was ready to face such a pandemic, and it's even worse when it was handled by newbs (like Québec's CAQ) or wannabes (like Trump).

Plus, the handling isn't so bad. We're middle of the pack, but given that we don't have the capacity for producing vaccines, we're not doing too bad.

I understand these concerns, and you are probably smarter than me for looking ahead :) I just can’t any more. I want everyone who can be held responsible for this assfuck to be out of a job. Come what may, I’m out for blood.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:04 pm 

The situation in India appears to extreme dire.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/22/covid-19-india-response-to-second-wave-is-warning-to-other-countries

That look like a true exponential growth of the virus.

My podcast:

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 pm 

I work with a bunch of people from India via Zoom for various projects. This isn't too surprising unfortunately, a lot of them are in these really dense and urban areas where there's little space for social distancing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:08 pm 

A country like India is the perfect place for Covid to spread like wildfire. It’s almost certainly gonna get worse, too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:30 am 

They just had a few holidays, makes me think those were probably super spreader events. Especially Holi Day. Looks like the j curve hit right after

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:34 am 

With the gap between newly resolved (recoveries+deaths) and new cases, yesterday alone saw a nearly 140k increase in active cases in India. That's almost 6 percent of the current active cases in India. At the same time, Delhi hospitals are rapidly running out of oxygen and other critical supplies. Subrick is absolutely right, this is going to get worse.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 am 

Subrick wrote:
A country like India is the perfect place for Covid to spread like wildfire. It’s almost certainly gonna get worse, too.

Yes, it must be quite scary for them. The numbers are alarming and probably underreported, too; apparently they cannot test everyone! What's the vaccination situation over there, does someone know?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Yes, it must be quite scary for them. The numbers are alarming and probably underreported, too; apparently they cannot test everyone! What's the vaccination situation over there, does someone know?

They'd been following the same pattern as everyone else - starting with the highest-risk groups and working their way down the ladder, mass vaccination centres in hospitals and so on.Unfortunately they've also gone for the same reaction as everyone else "we've done a few older people now, let's get out and party". Which went well.

Most people I know over there are effectively back to 'shelter in place' and won't go out even for food if they can help it. We've had a couple of work processes stop dead because the group have gotten COVID and are in hospital, so it's likely just as serious as it looks.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:

9.6 per 100 people are vaccinated.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:31 pm 

jimbies wrote:

I mean, i'm not happy about that, as it's hard for me to be happy about almost anyone getting sick (other than maybe Trump or some subhuman scum like Derek Chauvin if he got it), but I've never liked Nugent much and i like him even less for telling people not to take covid seriously.

Plus, he very obviously represents the kind of right-wing red necks who pretend that covid is a joke and not to be taken seriously, and if there's anyone who should get sick it's them.

Messed up thing is I've heard of and even know one guy who got covid who felt like shit and somehow later on still said "covid is bullshit".

I mean there's been people going to their grave denying it.

The power of denial is unbelievable.

I hope Nugent gets better but feels like shit and tells everyone to take it more seriously, but that won't happen. He'll probably have a mild case and tell everyone it's no big deal and he had it.

I never liked him, and honestly, I don't even think his music is that good. Yes, he has talent as a guitarist, but what little I've heard I have no interest in listening to again.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:26 am 

British government was asked today for an inquiry into the handling of COVID, government replies 'we're a bit too busy handling COVID, come back another time'. I suppose we haven't had any manufactured outrage for almost a week :lol:

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:03 pm 

This was absolutely enraging to read. A vaccine maker in Alberta is now going to leave after repeatedly getting the cold shoulder from Canada's federal government. When looking at where the funding is going, it's also hard to not see it as politically motivated.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/provid ... T2pn1FSanw

Quote:
Sorenson said he believes the government picked winners and losers based on where a company was based, saying his Alberta roots may be to blame for the less-than-enthusiastic response from a government that doesn't hold a single seat in that province.

"People have said to me so many times and I refused to acknowledge it, but the truth is, if Providence was located in Quebec we wouldn't be having this conversation," Sorenson said.

"Canada's broken. The federal government doesn't see past Ontario heading west."

Pointing to a $40 million investment in Vancouver-based Precision Nanosystems, the Medicago support and a recently announced $483 million investment in pharmaceutical giant Sanofi to expand an existing Toronto vaccine plant, Sorenson said he thinks Canada's industrial policy is based on political motivations.

"It's pretty damn easy to figure out what their level of determination will be in regards to funding. It's about votes," he said.

While much of the federal funds are earmarked for companies in B.C., Ontario and Quebec, Providence and two other entities on the Prairies — Entos Pharmaceuticals in Edmonton and the University of Saskatchewan's Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO) — have also received federal support to pursue COVID-19-related vaccines or therapeutics.

Last summer, the vaccine task force — composed of doctors, researchers and former pharmaceutical executives from across the country, including Western Canada — recommended Canada sign deals with foreign companies like AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax, Johnson & Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Sanofi, and the one Canadian company, Medicago.

Two of the 10 members of the vaccine task force worked as Sanofi executives, while another worked with GSK and Sanofi in a senior role. Canada has ordered up to 76 million doses from GSK-Sanofi, but that product was indefinitely delayed last year after it failed to produce sufficient results in clinical trials.

One member of the task force, Gary Kobinger — who helped develop a successful Ebola vaccine with a team in Winnipeg — resigned last fall amid concerns about the task force's transparency and its ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:37 pm 

India's 3-day moving average of daily new cases now up to about 390k and 3-day moving average of daily deaths over 3500 (based on data up unto and including April 30th). On April 1st, those numbers were at 65k and 427 respectively. Including today, total active cases in India now well past 3.5 million. India alone currently accounts for over 40% of the world's new daily cases.

Neighbouring Nepal now also showing signs of a j-curve and is running out of hospital beds rapidly. In addition, their vaccine supply has been disrupted by the India outbreaks.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 am 

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-56913348

It is difficult to put this into words. Dante comes to mind. I really hope that they are able to get this under control over there.

My podcast:

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:49 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

It is difficult to put this into words. Dante comes to mind. I really hope that they are able to get this under control over there.

Heartbreaking stuff...
Fire walk with me"

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:56 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Jesus....

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:26 am 

:(

Was going to make another rant after another ratlickers' protest, but nothing really comes close to this. I don't know what it'll take to get this under control in India, but I really wish they do it.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:43 pm 

What's even more fucked is that it's very apparent to that the official count is entirely missing a lot of the deaths and infected. There's no way to actually keep track of how many people are dying or are infected with their entire healthcare system being as overwhelmed as it is.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:57 am 

Keep it classy, commies:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/03/chin ... index.html

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am 

Getting the vaccine in less than two weeks! That's sooner than I expected.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

Why am I not surprised that you would use mass suffering in India to try and “gotcha!” the leftists here?

Also, CCP ain’t communist, they’re state capitalist.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Getting the vaccine in less than two weeks! That's sooner than I expected.

I just got it last Saturday (Pfizer).

After the first shot my arm hurt, but that was it.

After the 2nd, I had the arm pain, along with dizziness and the shivers.

Hopefully, you luck out and don't go through this. It wasn't the end of the world and obviously it was worth it, but it also sucked for most of a day.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next