Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:12 am 

The second wave is still months away. We're still in the first.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:19 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Crazy how the US is hitting 40-50k cases a day now. Have to wonder what the 2nd wave will be like there, but I'm going to assume disastrous.

Also, finding the news sites very frustrating with their reporting, this mix of garbage science (posting news stories about studies that are far from being peer-reviewed) and conflicting stories (and yes, I realize they/the governments have to create a specific level of fear - don't make them panic, but make them scared enough to listen to us etc - but it's still incredibly annoying).

Can't have a second wave if the first wave never ends. *tapshead.jpg*

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 am 

A coworker tested positive. She's on the day shift while I'm on the night shift, so maybe I'm safe? Luckily the higher-ups have decided to bury this issue and not do any of the deep cleaning or testing of the rest of us that we're supposed to do per company "policy".

I work at a pharmacy, folks!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm 

Bolsonaro tested positive :beer:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:14 pm 

Not for brains.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:58 pm 

matras wrote:

I stopped in just to post this news... any chance this will make him direct Brazil to take the virus serious?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Not for brains.

:lol:

A friend of mine is dating a Brazilian girl who moved here to the states a year or so ago, and I was floored when she said that Bolsanaro is a stupid version of Trump. I didn't know there could be such a thing.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:12 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Not for brains.

:lol:

A friend of mine is dating a Brazilian girl who moved here to the states a year or so ago, and I was floored when she said that Bolsanaro is a stupid version of Trump. I didn't know there could be such a thing.

I'm sure many Italians thought the same thing about Berlusconi, yet here we are.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
matras wrote:

I stopped in just to post this news... any chance this will make him direct Brazil to take the virus serious?

Ha! I just saw that he claims he feels OK, which proves (according to him) that the disease is just a bad cold. If anything, this stupid asshole is just going to give ammo to the whole "reopen now, the disease isn't a big deal" crowd.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am 

Boris was in intensive care and on a ventilator and it still didn't make him smarter, Bolsonaro will be no different.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:18 am 

Here we go again...

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:23 am 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/coronavirus-special-mental-health-disaster/613510/

Quote:
In any case, the full extent of the fallout will not come into focus for some time. Psychological disorders can be slow to develop, and as a result, the Textbook of Disaster Psychiatry, which Morganstein helped write, warns that demand for mental-health care may spike even as a pandemic subsides. “If history is any indicator,” Morganstein says of COVID-19, “we should expect a significant tail of mental-health effects, and those could be extraordinary.” Taylor worries that the virus will cause significant upticks in obsessive-compulsive disorder, agoraphobia, and germaphobia, not to mention possible neuropsychiatric effects, such as chronic fatigue syndrome.

Similar to what happened after the "Spanish Flu".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Long-term_effects

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:18 am 

New infections go up because many restrictions were lifted, which wouldn't be a problem with normal people, but everyone with the tiniest bit of money wants to use the opportunity to go back to full on shark tank capitalism, laying people off, evicting people, calling collection agencies of people et cetera and it creates a level of chaos that is an ideal breeding ground for the virus. Unfortunately the article quoted above also seems to ignore that most mental health effects are the result of severely harmful anti-social practices by people in power rather than just the virus itself. If employers, landlords and service providers were legally held to minimum standards of decency we wouldn't have 5% the problems we have now.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:41 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Fantastic article. I have more to say on the matter of mental health but this article basically said everything. I hope we all look after ourselves.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:11 pm 

I have ordered the book that is mentioned in the article; The Psychology of Pandemics. I am really curious about its contents and what the author has to say about the psychological impacts of a pandemic.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:43 pm 

I'm getting really pissed off about all the people, some of them even my friends, who keep saying they think that covid is no big deal and isn't killing all that many people.

I mean, what do you even say to these people?

I have a really good friend who is really disappointing me because he keeps talking about what a crock of shit he thinks covid is. I mean, i know he knows it's real, but still he acts like it's being made out to be worse than it is and i know he's wrong.

I know he's very frustrated because he's not being allowed to run his business and the county he happens to work in is very rural and literally only has TWO people hospitalized right now due to covid so he thinks he should be allowed to open, and i can sympathisize with where he's coming from, but just look at how astronomically the death toll has risen in states like Arizona, Texas and Florida as they've tried to re-open, i mean, the ERs are full and it's really really bad.

Then you hear stories of even young people dying like one story last night on the news about a 22 year old guy with zero prior conditions dying in South Carolina.

I mean, what do you tell these people who think that covid isn't serious since it technically probably only killed like 0.50% of people who get it and when they see that only 2 people in their county are currently in the hospital for it?

Do you think there's any way to convey to these people that just because it SEEMS like it isn't that dangerous cause most people live and that RIGHT NOW the exact area they are in doesn't have many cases doesn't actually mean that this isn't a really fucking serious pandemic?

Or do you think there's any truth to their believing that covid isn't that serious?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:10 pm 

Seems like there's a balance between full blown panic and optimistic delusion that people are having a hard time balancing. I also have friends that say some frustrating shit about the virus. Not as bad as what you said, but a few have been out to restaurants and sat inside while eating. They'll say stuff like "well you have to wear a mask when you walk around but when you sit down you take it off", but it's not like that'll help as opposed to sitting on a patio or just getting takeout. You're inside, therefore the risk dramatically increases that you can get infected.

As for the stories of "that one young person dying who had no symptoms", I just ignore them and generally all the scare stories about the virus. When the data across multiple countries shows that a very small percentage of young people are going to die from the virus, that doesn't mean 0% are going to die. It just means it's a serious fucking exception. The media likes to cling to those exceptions because A) It makes good headlines and B) It makes younger people take the pandemic seriously. That said though, dying and becoming really sick are two different things. Personally, even if I don't die from the virus, I don't want to ever get it, because it's looking like the after effects could be incredibly bad and takes months, potentially years to recover from.

I also think some people simply want things to go back to normal again and will bullshit their way into thinking "well, it's not THAT bad". Even I was guilty of doing this when our gym reopened. I went a few times, and every time I went no one was wearing a mask except me. Well, around the third time of going there was like one or two people there, so I just said "fuck it" and decided not to wear a mask while working now. Now, thankfully, that was over two weeks ago and I know I didn't catch anything (or if I did I was asymptomatic, go me), but that entire night I couldn't stop thinking "I mean... what if I got it?!" The whole situation just put this unnecessary stress on me that would've been mitigated had I just worn the stupid fucking mask. So now, obviously, I wear the mask all the time- I'm the only one usually, but fuck other people, they can all die I don't give a shit :lol:

Point is, is that some people kind of need that moment of not wearing a mask and go through the same exercise I did. Sure- go to a restaurant or gym or store and don't wear a mask. But if you have some sense, you'll sit there for hours wondering if you're now infected, and you'll eventually think if it's really worth not wearing the mask as it just creates an unnecessary amount of stress.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Seems like there's a balance between full blown panic and optimistic delusion that people are having a hard time balancing. I also have friends that say some frustrating shit about the virus. Not as bad as what you said, but a few have been out to restaurants and sat inside while eating. They'll say stuff like "well you have to wear a mask when you walk around but when you sit down you take it off", but it's not like that'll help as opposed to sitting on a patio or just getting takeout. You're inside, therefore the risk dramatically increases that you can get infected.

As for the stories of "that one young person dying who had no symptoms", I just ignore them and generally all the scare stories about the virus. When the data across multiple countries shows that a very small percentage of young people are going to die from the virus, that doesn't mean 0% are going to die. It just means it's a serious fucking exception. The media likes to cling to those exceptions because A) It makes good headlines and B) It makes younger people take the pandemic seriously. That said though, dying and becoming really sick are two different things. Personally, even if I don't die from the virus, I don't want to ever get it, because it's looking like the after effects could be incredibly bad and takes months, potentially years to recover from.

I also think some people simply want things to go back to normal again and will bullshit their way into thinking "well, it's not THAT bad". Even I was guilty of doing this when our gym reopened. I went a few times, and every time I went no one was wearing a mask except me. Well, around the third time of going there was like one or two people there, so I just said "fuck it" and decided not to wear a mask while working now. Now, thankfully, that was over two weeks ago and I know I didn't catch anything (or if I did I was asymptomatic, go me), but that entire night I couldn't stop thinking "I mean... what if I got it?!" The whole situation just put this unnecessary stress on me that would've been mitigated had I just worn the stupid fucking mask. So now, obviously, I wear the mask all the time- I'm the only one usually, but fuck other people, they can all die I don't give a shit :lol:

Point is, is that some people kind of need that moment of not wearing a mask and go through the same exercise I did. Sure- go to a restaurant or gym or store and don't wear a mask. But if you have some sense, you'll sit there for hours wondering if you're now infected, and you'll eventually think if it's really worth not wearing the mask as it just creates an unnecessary amount of stress.

Yeah, I think you are right that it's hard for people to balance between complete panic and pretending it's nothing.

Me personally, I am lucky to be able to work from home and currently am staying with family so I have taken this very seriously and literally not left my house since early March, but I think I'm smart to do so cause I have asthma which, even though it's not that bad, used to be worse when I was little and people with asthma and respiratory issues are at greater risk with covid. I mean, I have experienced gasping for air as an adult because of asthma attacks and it's seriously not fun, and I can only imagine how much worse it would be with covid. Not to mention that my family is unwilling to risk the chance of getting it and I'm not willing to expose them either, so I'm really trying to wait for a vaccine before i go out again.

I'm an introvert by nature so it's really not hard for me lol.

I mean, it's easy to pretend it's not that bad if you look at the percentages of people dying being around 0.5%, but then if you do the math that adds up to about 1.5 million people in the U.S. dying if everyone got it, so it's not a tiny thing by any means.

The problem with this kind of shit is that it's invisible unless you actually know anyone who's gotten it, but I think that if everyone with covid would suddenly glow purple that we'd be walking around seeing like every 6th of 7th person glowing and we'd be like "shit, this stuff is everywhere!"

It's just one of those things where unless it effects you personally, a large number of people are going to deny the problem, and so many more of those people are being effected by being unable to work or live there lives normally that they are going to be pissed off and downplay in retaliation.

I think that even with all the people who take this seriously now that as a whole we won't recognize how bad this was till it's all over and we go back and look at the history books and really respect how dire this situation was.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:57 pm 

People are idiots, but normal people being idiots doesn't have 1% the amount of impact as bosses in big companies saying if you call in sick you'll be fired. A million normal people wearing a mask can't make up for such stupidity. The few users from Germany will understand what I'm saying, that is what is happening here, our good survival rate so far is being completely destroyed by greedy subhuman pigs, and nothing any right-wing demonstrators or other normal stupid conspiracy people will do will ever be remotely be able to come close to that level of anti-social, anti-human destructive behaviour. Every single asshole corporation owner right now needs to spend at least the next ten years in jail, period. With no masks and no protection and ideally no food and water.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm 

I am kind of amazed to read our Senate is on vacation. People are dying and people are in need of assistance. They are on vacation and won't return until next week to vote on a stimulus package. Just amazed at how things in the United State work.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm 

It's because none of what's happening right now will affect the overwhelming majority of the people in Congress right now. When government becomes an elite club for the wealthy, they tend to become completely out of touch with the concerns of the common man.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:21 am 

There' now (about the third really, first decent one) an XKCD to help you manage your covid risk :)

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:45 am 

Thanks for the ammunition Methuen, I threw that across some of my family and friends "just to make sure they understood the various risk levels across a multitude of scenarios" ;)

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 am 

I'm going to throw out a question that's related to COVID which I can't answer, and which I don't know who/where else to ask. It's a chemistry question, so not necessarily something I could just ask my doctor about.

Is it safe to combine isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) with ethyl alcohol (ethanol)? I'm not exactly trying to make my own hand sanitizer, but I'm wondering what to do if a small bottle of, say, ethanol hand sanitizer runs out and the only replacement is a large refill bottle of a isopropanol. If it's fine to mix the two I'd rather do that than lug a 40oz bottle around with me when I'm jogging or going to the grocery store.

I apologize if this is a dumb question, my brain is essentially chemistry-retardant.

That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 am 

That's how they enrich uranium, man. :(

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:37 pm 

There was a story in German news two days ago about a 30 year old guy in Texas who was going to a "Covid party" to prove the virus was a hoax and he was immune anyway because he was young, and his last words before he died were "I think I made a mistake." Any confirmation from anyone more local?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:49 pm 

I found this.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 pm 

That's the one.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:56 pm 

How do you weaponize a virus?
Just give it to Americans and let the stupid do the work for you.

I do find great irony in the fact that we are now travel banned from most of the rest of the world.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:11 pm 

Mellifleur wrote:
That's how they enrich uranium, man. :(

If only this was more well-known before the pandemic struck, we could have prevented the stupid from spreading by just irradiating everything.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:22 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I'm going to throw out a question that's related to COVID which I can't answer, and which I don't know who/where else to ask. It's a chemistry question, so not necessarily something I could just ask my doctor about.

Is it safe to combine isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) with ethyl alcohol (ethanol)? I'm not exactly trying to make my own hand sanitizer, but I'm wondering what to do if a small bottle of, say, ethanol hand sanitizer runs out and the only replacement is a large refill bottle of a isopropanol. If it's fine to mix the two I'd rather do that than lug a 40oz bottle around with me when I'm jogging or going to the grocery store.

I apologize if this is a dumb question, my brain is essentially chemistry-retardant.

I thought you can mix them before I checked pure mixture of ethanol and 2-propanol that has an exclamation mark, which means:
Quote:
Acute toxicity (oral, dermal, inhalation), category 4
Skin irritation, category 2
Eye irritation, category 2
Skin sensitisation, category 1
Specific Target Organ Toxicity – Single exposure, category 3

This is probably for pure isopropanol (IPA).
Quote:
Isopropyl alcohol is readily absorbed through the skin, so spilling large amounts of IPA on the skin may cause accidental poisoning. Small amounts of IPA on the skin is generally not dangerous, but repeated skin exposure can cause itching, redness, rash, drying, and cracking. Prolonged skin contact may cause corrosion. Always wash thoroughly with soap and water when contact with IPA occurs, and always use safety equipment when dealing with large amounts of IPA.

Quote:
It’s common for doctors to sterilize medical equipment with isopropyl alcohol given its antiseptic properties, and you may even use it to sanitize your tweezers before removing a splinter or to clean a small cut on your skin. But using large amounts of isopropyl alcohol, or covering a large area of your skin, can cause serious damage. Avoid using rubbing alcohol to clean wounds or other more serious injuries, since it can delay healing and lead to even more skin irritation. Also skip using it on sensitive areas, like sunburned, dry, or otherwise irritated skin.
And if you’re thinking about using rubbing alcohol to DIY hand sanitizer, you should think again.

I advise you to wash that small bottle with tap water when it runs out of ethanol and refill it with propanol. I assume you use those alcohols as 70-80% (mixed with water), not pure (100%) as they tend to evaporate much faster when you use them and have no efficacy in disinfection. Also, use moisturiser because alcohols tend to dry out skin. I prefer using disinfecting gels as the have some oils and are more gentle to skin.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 pm 

^yeah I use hand cream all the time and if I can find a sanitizing gel I'll pick that over something more liquid. I don't think I've ever seen an isopropanol-based hand sanitizer with a concentration above 80% here in the states. Actually, apart from first-aid sprays, I don't think I've ever seen any alcohol hand sanitizers above 80% regardless of whether ethyl or isopropyl. They're pretty much always between 62% and 75%.

I guess it's weirding me out that every sanitizer I find is some new, potentially untrustworthy brand that didn't exist pre-COVID. In the past if I had to refill a small bottle I didn't think twice about mixture safety because everything was always the same two brands.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:02 pm 

I thought you might have a bottle of pure isopropanol. XD The day before the state of emergency was introduced we were allowed to take home 2L of pure ethanol from a lab. I even cleaned windows with it, and I still have around 1L because nobody besides me is using it at home except for disinfecting the phone.
When I was at the university recently I saw they have boxes with green disinfecting gel that smells wonderful. Its name was written on those boxes - it begins with a ''d'' and ends with ''ol'' but I can't remember its name, I wish I wrote it down.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:55 am 

Turns out that the UK has adopted another American political insanity - now we get 'anti-mask' fruitcakes too - just what the situation needed !

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/face-masks-coverings-mandatory-protest-keep-britain-free-hyde-park-a9627446.html

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:16 am 

Well we'll see about the United States. Now that Trump's incompetence got the virus nicely established in the Southeastern United States, a hurricane season that already broke over half a dozen records (soon with the first ever G-storm in July) is really warming up. What's it gonna be with anti-mask activists when people have to stay at emergency shelters?

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:19 am 

droneriot wrote:
Well we'll see about the United States. Now that Trump's incompetence got the virus nicely established in the Southeastern United States, a hurricane season that already broke over half a dozen records (soon with the first ever G-storm in July) is really warming up. What's it gonna be with anti-mask activists when people have to stay at emergency shelters?

I'd have thought that emergency shelters would be bordering on communism, and t hat they'd prefer to die protecting their own little slice of Florida (or wherever ?) :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 am 

America's wang will be underwater by the end of the century anyway. Might as well start practicing now.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 am 

droneriot wrote:

Jesus. I didn't even think of that.

I'm sure every American will treat each other with nothing but love and respect. /s
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:45 pm 

Well, for about 4 days now, I've had a very dry cough. In the last 48 hours, I've had some chest tightness and even some actual pain directly in my breast bone.

I'm a very active person (45 minute workout every morning, 5km run and usually a 10-12km walk throughout the day), and I've had no issues with fatigue or becoming more winded during these activities. There have been a total of 25 cases in my city of 74,000 people from March until today, and no known active cases. Having said all this, I am not a hypochondriac and don't worry much about stuff, but the cough has gotten a little worse, so I got swabbed today.

It was a complete fiasco to get done (so much red tape and unnecessary bullshit), but the test itself is very easy and I didn't even feel it/my eyes didn't water. I guess now comes the hard part of waiting for 4 days for the results.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:50 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
America's wang will be underwater by the end of the century anyway. Might as well start practicing now.

They prefer "the sunshine state".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next