Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 am 

Another annual thread here. We have the most anticipated thread, but I'll dedicate this one to talk about only releases that have already come out.

Here are some favourites from January:

Beach Slang - The Deadbeat Bang Of Heartbreak City
Do you like guitars and drums? This is a very solid rock n' roll record with no frills. To me, it sounds like The Replacements and the Rolling Stones. Favourite tracks: Tommy In The 80's, Kicking Over Bottles

Algiers - There is No Year
What genre is this? Death-soul? Southern-Protest-Punk? I like this one more than their last record (The Underside Of Power). Might be a little preachy for some, but it's very dark and very good. Also the last song kinda starts like a Darkthrone song. Favourite tracks: Hour Of The Furnaces, Wait For The Sound

October Drift - Forever Whatever
Another straight up rock record. More alternative here, but it still sounds very organic like the band playing all at once. A little Emo in places, maybe. Favourite tracks: Oh The Silence, Don't Give Me Hope.

Wolf Parade - Thin Mind
More of the same isn't always bad. Spencer Krug has a pretty good track record of creating good indie rock records. This doesn't sound that different from any Wolf Parade record, but that's okay with me. Favourite Tracks: Under Glass, Julia Take Your Man Home

Still haven't heard the Polica album that came out yesterday.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:05 pm 

The new Envy, The Fallen Crimson, is fucking outstanding and an early contender for AOTY.
Obliteration

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:24 am 

The Sylvaine / Unreqvited split is worth a go (I know I know, they spelled it with a 'v')

The Sylvaine tracks are accoustic-y, and all clean vocals; the Unreqvited tracks are instrumental. It's a great EP for zoning out of the world for half an hour.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:34 am 

That Beach Slang album is some great stuff! Been listening to it this morning and I love what I am hearing - very organic and kick-your-face rock'n'roll! If there are more bands around like them (new ones) I would love to hear them.

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 am 

https://ocrippers.bandcamp.com/album/ii-2020

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am 

Here is some stuff from February I enjoyed:

The Men - Mercy
Pretty great garage/psych rock. They release a lot of music, so a lot of their albums have filler, but this seems like the most cohesive piece in a while. Favourite tracks: Wading In Dirty Water / Children All Over The World

Asgeir - Bury The Moon
For fans of Novo Amor and Bon Iver. Record starts of really great with three incredible tracks, and tails off a bit by the end, but it's still better than decent. Favourite tracks: Pictures / Youth

Agnes Obel - Myopia
If you've ever listened to Agnes, you're familiar with her creepy, cinematic chamber-pop. She hasn't reinvented anything here, and some of it sounds very "same-y", but it's dark and pretty fantastic. Favourite tracks: Roscian / Won't You Call Me

Beauts - Dalliance
Still getting into this one. Pretty standard indie rock, but it's quite catchy and fun. Favourite tracks so far: The City Love Me / Drifters, All.

I also kinda like the new Matthew Good record, but it's way too fucking long. Disappointed with the new Best Coast. Denzel Curry is good, but it's actually too short at just 17 minutes.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:19 pm 

Loathe - I Let It In And It Took Everything. If you like Deftones and metalcore with lots of groovy parts (think the last two Norma Jean records) do yourself a favor and listen to this one. I can't stop listening to this.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:16 am 

I’m absolutely loving the new Code Orange. I don’t know why but that band just resonates with me in a big way.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am 

Mortiis has released a dungeon synth album for the first time in ages, it's called "Spirit Of Rebellion". Awesome stuff!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:12 pm 

So far I'm enjoying...

Four Year Strong - Brain Pain
This is probably the best thing this band's done since "Rise or Die Trying". Very energetic and catchy.

The Bombpops - Death in Venice Beach
This sounds like it could have been released on Lookout Records in 1996, so I'm definitely into it. Tour with MTX and The Queers when, exactly?

Worriers - You or Someone You Know
Underrated melodic punk that reminds me of later Against Me!. I saw them open for that band once, actually, and I've been hooked ever since. They continue to deliver the goods here.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:50 pm 

i thought the new algiers was a big step down...

I havent heard that much new stuff yet but I thought the new The Cult of Dom Keller was good. I think i like the new Hällas more than the debut as well.

wheelman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:22 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I’m absolutely loving the new Code Orange. I don’t know why but that band just resonates with me in a big way.

i feel the same way man, boundary pushing stuff, absolutely amazing

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm 

The Acacia Strain is releasing a bunch of mini eps over the year, with two of them released right now. So far they're really good, they've definitely kept a lot of their hardcore elements but have been delving pretty extensively into sludge and doom. Also got to give a shout out to their last album It Comes In Waves, it came out right at the end of 2019 as a total surprise to everyone and I didn't even realized it existed until early February. It's definitely their best album since Wormwood, and I definitely recommend it as a first listen for anyone that hasn't heard them but also isn't exactly into deathcore/hardcore/beatdown/etc.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:03 am 

The Birthday Massacre - Diamonds

https://thebirthdaymassacre.bandcamp.com/album/diamonds

I've been following this band since their second album (Walking With Strangers, 2007). They play a kind of late 80s goth rock + synthesisers sound, with a smattering of decent riffs / guitar solos (ala The Cult, The Bolshoi, et al). Catcher than a catchy thing too. They're one of those bands that you hear and can't believe that they're not absolutely huge.

Their latest record is just released, and works really well as a softer follow up to Under Your Spell (2017) - really nice album to have on for an afternoon with a bottle of wine and some artistry. Instead of faster songs with big choruses, they've gone for a lot of lengthy instrumental passages drenched in synthesisers and keyboards - In a lot of this album, imagine a more cheerful Chelsea Wolfe. I'm on my third playthrough having picked it up this morning - definitely one to explore and soak up.

If you're new to them - get past the purple bunnies & hearts 2005 goth kid image, and enjoy the music !

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:35 pm 

The latest Night Flight Orchestra album, _Aeromantic_, is the best in their catalog, I'd say. "Transmissions," "Curves," and "Divinyls" are highlights. It's more melodic and a bit darker this time around.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:57 am 

I've been listening recently to the newest Nine Inch Nails releases, Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts IV: Locusts. Pretty good dark ambient/industrial (ish?), a fitting soundtrack to a nightwalk in these weird and uncertain times. As you might be able to tell by the titles, V is more soothing while IV is a bit darker and eerie. It's free (for now) on the NIN webstore: https://store.nin.com/products/ghosts-digital-download

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:27 pm 

Here's the goods from March!

Honey Harper - Starmaker
Very peculiar 'country' (I guess?) record from my homeland of Canada. Calls on some psychedelic qualities and some unconventional sounds (a flute solo in one song, a carnival sounding synth in another). Great vocal harmonies throughout the record. Favourite tracks: Vaguely Satisfied, Someone Else's Dream

Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
This is getting tons of press, and it deserves it. She seems to be improving in quality with each release. This album sounds super slick and the song-writing is very tight. Favourite tracks: Oxbow, Saint Cloud

Brian Fallon - Local Honey
This might be my least favourite of his three solo records, but it's still quite good. It's all VERY sad, and there are no big rockers. I think the first song is really bad, but after that, the record has two of the saddest songs I've heard in awhile, which are also my favourites: 21 Days & Vincent

Basia Bulat - Are You In Love
Another singer-songwriter from Canada. This album might be a couple songs too long, but most of it is very, very good. This and the Waxahatchee are good counter-parts coming out in the same month. Favourite songs: Are You In Love & Electric Roses

Jeezy - Twenty20/PyrexVision
Okay, I don't ACTUALLY think Jeezy is very good music, but fuck if this isn't fun. It's super short, and is exactly what you'd expect from the Atlanta rapper. Favourite tracks: Buy A Bank & Poppin'

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:47 pm 

Swedish punk rock band Lastkaj 14 released their new album a few days ago, and it's very good as expected.
https://lastkaj14.bandcamp.com/album/speglar-och-r-k

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 am 

Great recommendations and please keep them coming. I'm sort of bored w/ metal right now.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 am 

New Ulver track is awesome Depeche Mode-inspired electronic, maybe they'll release a whole album like this.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am 

Yeah, I am looking forward to Ulver's album. The single is so cool.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:42 am 

I'd like to nominate Obsidian, the debut LP of Tech-Deathcore band Viscera.

This is honestly basically as perfect as tech-death--not just tech-deathcore, but tech-death in general--can get. The riffs are crazy fast (Affliction actually made me double-take) and they just do NOT stop. This band was apparently rejected by the MA team and while I usually am fine with their inclusions I really have no fucking idea why because this album is just nothing but tech-death riffs upon riffs upon riffs. Most deathcore bands--hell most tech-death bands--would kill to have one riff as good as as these and these dudes just fire them off effortlessly. I have a feeling even death metal fans who don't like deathcore would like these riffs.

But it's not just the riffs that elevate it in my eyes but the fact that Viscera are masters at composing songs that truly feel like coherent musical journeys as opposed to dispassionately emotionless sections welded together with no flow. A lot of tech-death falls into this trap of sounding unintentionally robotic and lifeless but these dudes have the perfect production and song-writing skills to avoid all that. Each section flows so effortlessly it's honestly embarrassing how many tech-death(core) bands can't seem to do the same.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:48 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Yeah, I am looking forward to Ulver's album. The single is so cool.

The Assassination Of Julius Caesar is my favourite Ulver record (Yes, I'm including the black metal ones. I think it's fucking brilliant. The artwork/inlay of the record is incredible, as well.)

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:19 am 

For hip hop, $uicideboy$ dropped a new album, and as always it's straight quality, and continues to evolve their style. This album sort of has reminiscence of Dark Side of The Clouds instead of more of their hype songs on stuff like Grey Sheep II, but to be honest I sometimes like that material more. The hype tracks are fun, but I usually don't come back to them as much.

DaBaby released another album, which makes it three studio albums in a little over one year. He's definitely got some serious work ethic, not only has he released three albums but he's made some damn good music videos over the last year, as well as did some extensive touring before the virus hit. Now, his sound doesn't really evolve too much from album to album, so you either like his style or not. I personally enjoy it, and feel like he deserves the exponential recognition he's gotten over the last year.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:46 am 

This Fiona Apple one "Fetch the Bolt Cutters" is delightfully expansive, eccentric, borderless stuff. Liking it...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:41 am 

Six years later, Martial Industrial heavyweights Arditi have a new album now and it's awesome! :D

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... Sun/843457

https://leidungr.bandcamp.com/album/insignia-of-the-sun

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:23 pm 

The Ghost Inside released a very emotionally moving music video to preview their new album that's going to come out soon. If you don't know, the band was involved in a terrible car accident in Texas in which all the members were badly injured. The tour bus driver died, the drummer lost his leg, I think a few of them sustained really bad back injuries and had to regain lots of basic motor control through PT. The video is awesome, I was exactly the biggest fan of them, but I've been revisiting a lot of their material pre-crash and appreciate it quite a bit now. Really good melodic hardcore, the lyrics can be a bit repetitive, but I find it's good uplifting music for the time we're all in right now.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
The Ghost Inside released a very emotionally moving music video to preview their new album that's going to come out soon. If you don't know, the band was involved in a terrible car accident in Texas in which all the members were badly injured. The tour bus driver died, the drummer lost his leg, I think a few of them sustained really bad back injuries and had to regain lots of basic motor control through PT. The video is awesome, I was exactly the biggest fan of them, but I've been revisiting a lot of their material pre-crash and appreciate it quite a bit now. Really good melodic hardcore, the lyrics can be a bit repetitive, but I find it's good uplifting music for the time we're all in right now.

RESPECT!!! :headbang:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am 

Reid wrote:
I've been listening recently to the newest Nine Inch Nails releases, Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts IV: Locusts. Pretty good dark ambient/industrial (ish?), a fitting soundtrack to a nightwalk in these weird and uncertain times. As you might be able to tell by the titles, V is more soothing while IV is a bit darker and eerie. It's free (for now) on the NIN webstore: https://store.nin.com/products/ghosts-digital-download

I need to listen to this. I loved their first album, but have fallen behind. I haven't even listened to the second. I must've burned myself out on the first.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 am 

Here are some favourites from April:

Logan Ledger - Self Titled
A little bit country, a little bit Roy Orbison, with a dash of something you'd hear in Lynch's roadhouse every once in a while. Favourite tracks: Let The Mermaids Flirt With Me, Invisible Blue

Cmpny Of Anmls - Iaras
Alternative / Post-rock for fans of Mogwai. Really picks up in the middle of the record with a string of 4-5 songs that are all great, but Favourite tracks: Heaven, Bender

Seth Anderson - We Could Be
Somewhat in the wheelhouse of Dave Hause and Brian Fallon, only a little more folk in places. Favourite tracks: Highway Lights, We Could Be

Nathan Kalish - Songs For Nobody
I'm guessing people that like Drive-By Truckers would like Nathan, as he sounds a lot like Patterson Hood sometimes. This is more the country side of DBT than the rock side, though. Favourite tracks: Kalimotxo, Independence Day (not a Springsteen cover, btw)

Tre Capitol - Liberty
Really good, concise Hip-Hop record in under 25 minutes. I hear a lot of Vince Staples in this. Favourite tracks: LA2JPN, Take Them Higher

A couple others I'm still kind of getting into from the month are the new Strokes album (Casablanca's comes across even more annoying than usual) and the Australian Swing-Dance DJ Parov Stelar's new EP. I really love the first song Brass Devil, but the third and fourth songs are real duds to me, which is literally 40% of the EP.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:14 pm 

The new Vanessa Carlton, Love Is An Art, is absolutely tremendous.

She’s totally matured in her songwriting, performance (especially vocally) and production/arrangement chops, and her new music is this weird, dark, slightly psychedelic chamber-ish pop/rock. Really distinct and worth a listen.
Obliteration

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:40 pm 

I'm really digging this new Mindforce EP. Just a really energetic, fun mixture of hardcore and thrash metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNbapeRdYpY

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:40 am 

jimbies wrote:
Cmpny Of Anmls - Iaras
Alternative / Post-rock for fans of Mogwai. Really picks up in the middle of the record with a string of 4-5 songs that are all great, but Favourite tracks: Heaven, Bender

Hey - where did you find that ? Their bandcamp has a two track EP, listened to bit of Iaras elsewhere & would like to put some money their way !

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am 

Methuen wrote:
jimbies wrote:
Cmpny Of Anmls - Iaras

Hey - where did you find that ? Their bandcamp has a two track EP, listened to bit of Iaras elsewhere & would like to put some money their way !

I've just been listening to it on Spotify. I haven't found a physical copy of it anywhere, sadly.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 am 

jimbies wrote:
Methuen wrote:
jimbies wrote:
Cmpny Of Anmls - Iaras

I've just been listening to it on Spotify. I haven't found a physical copy of it anywhere, sadly.

Ah shame - I can't even find a legit digital copy. Never mind - Thanks for sharing, your description was spot on, my wife loves Mogwai & I've a passing acquaintance, and we've had that record on repeat this morning, easing us into the week !

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:12 pm 

So, even though they're on the archives for their first albums, as the band appeals reference says- "This band has more chugs than Stone Cold Steve Austin after catching a couple of Coors Lights. More hardcore than metal, for sure"

Veil of Maya just released a new video, and if you like modern core music, well, this is for you. I personally hated their last full length, False Idols, because it just felt like a clusterfuck of clean singing and heavy chugs with no emotional consistency formulated. That's tough to say too, considering their earlier work is some of my favorite metalcore music that's ever been released, and has aged beautifully. The album before False Idols was definitely better, seemed to flow a lot more, and did a 10x better job showcasing Luke's vocals.

But anyways, this song is better than literally anything off that previous album, and I'm happy about that, for sure.

Probably one of the greatest shows I've ever been to was when these guys played a side show right towards the tail end of when Brandon Butler was the vocalist. It was a 15 minute walk from my college campus, so I just put my shit in my car and walked down to see it. Literally was able to stand less than a foot in front of Marc Okubo. It was me, and a bunch of kids my age, all picking the chugs perfectly along with him because we were all guitar nerds. He's by far one of my favorite guitar players, just incredible to watch multi task between programming his looper pedal and coming into a main riff.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pm 

Sorry for the double post but MIA is hinting at dropping a new album this year, after claiming the previous release would be her last. I'm hyped, everything she's ever released is absolute fire. Here's a new track.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 pm 

Jeff Rosenstock has, yet again, surprise released a brand new album. As usual, it's completely free, though vinyl will be available later of course. You can download that right here -
http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/qur108.htm
Pretty strong contender for my favorite punk album of 2020 already. Passionate, energetic & fairly creative stuff.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 pm 

Some decent stuff came out in May:

Houses Of Heaven - Silent Places
For fans of The Cure. Pretty standard goth-rock, nothing ground-breaking, but some great songs. Favourite tracks: Sleep, All Possible Obstacles Are Present

Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM
As posted above, Jeff's new record is pretty good and fun punk rock. Favourite tracks: Nikes (alt), Fame

Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately
Contender for album of the year for me. Perfume Genius has put out quality material for years, and this might be one of their best. I don't exactly know what genre it is (Art-rock/art-pop sounds so pretentious, but I guess a lot of people would find this music pretentious anyway) but there is a great mix of bangers and ballads on this. Favourite tracks are hard to pick, but lets go with: Describe, On The Floor, One More Try (but this thing works better as an entire piece)

The 1975 - Notes On A Conditional Form
Another big pop rock record. I do really like parts of this, but man, it's just too fucking long to really be considered a great album (too much filler). I believe there is an incredible record inside this, it just needs to be trimmed. Favourite tracks: People, The Birthday Party, If You're Too Shy Let Me Know

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:32 pm 

Heads. - PUSH https://headsnoise.bandcamp.com/album/push
This album is amazing and sounds like Young Widows and Total Control having a nice time together over a plate of quaaludes.

Car Seat Headrest - Making A Door Less Open https://carseatheadrest.bandcamp.com/album/making-a-door-less-open
I dont like it as much as his last two albums, but I really appreciate it when he hits the highs on this album. I love messy, experimental rock.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next