Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:13 am 

I've been hearing some bands lately that have metal in their sound but which don't strike me as being typical of any metal style, for example, bands like Ghostmane, and then trap metal/rap metal bands or punk rap of different types like Horror, ZilaKami and Sosmula.

I know the latter 2 are considered ''trap metal'', but what style of music would you guys consider Ghostmane and Horror?

Ghostmane almost does sound like metal of sorts on a few tracks and all these bands do have some metal mixed in.

Do you guys like these styles and where do you think there are origins can be traced to musically?

https://youtu.be/1lfao1kiPis

https://youtu.be/fKByLtUn_5Y

https://youtu.be/ywzzYnR3Q-Y

https://youtu.be/uPeCMkgl7dg

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:58 am 

Ghostmane is a rap artist that uses black metal imagery. Some people would call it "horrorcore" but imo that label is way overused so I tend to stay away from it. Same with trap, especially now. Trap use to describe guys like Gucci Mane or Waka Flocka but what people are labeling trap now sounds so different from that it almost doesn't mean anything anymore. That EP of Ghostmane's you posted is just modern hardcore, he's super into hardcore and black metal, even put Harm's Way on his last tour.

I definitely like a lot of his work, and his fans have mashed his music with different movies together to create incredible music vids for him. For example, Moby released a video for his song "Are You Lost In The World Like Me?", and while it's definitely a solid song, someone took out Moby's music and put two ghostmane tracks on it instead. The result is probably one my favorite music videos I've seen in a really long time. I also love his song Euronymous, really good black metal tribute, specifically made for metalheads that also like rap.

Also, I don't get everyone calling these guys screaming to beats metal or trap. Don't know what you'd call it, but it definitely ain't either of those hahaha whatever kids will be kids let them define it whatever way they want I guess.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:32 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
Ghostmane is a rap artist that uses black metal imagery. Some people would call it "horrorcore" but imo that label is way overused so I tend to stay away from it. Same with trap, especially now. Trap use to describe guys like Gucci Mane or Waka Flocka but what people are labeling trap now sounds so different from that it almost doesn't mean anything anymore. That EP of Ghostmane's you posted is just modern hardcore, he's super into hardcore and black metal, even put Harm's Way on his last tour.

I definitely like a lot of his work, and his fans have mashed his music with different movies together to create incredible music vids for him. For example, Moby released a video for his song "Are You Lost In The World Like Me?", and while it's definitely a solid song, someone took out Moby's music and put two ghostmane tracks on it instead. The result is probably one my favorite music videos I've seen in a really long time. I also love his song Euronymous, really good black metal tribute, specifically made for metalheads that also like rap.

Also, I don't get everyone calling these guys screaming to beats metal or trap. Don't know what you'd call it, but it definitely ain't either of those hahaha whatever kids will be kids let them define it whatever way they want I guess.

Thanks i'll check that stuff out.

Well i don't know anything about trap music, but there seems to be a new style that people are calling ''Trap Metal'' and not just ''trap''.

Look it up and it seems to be its' own thing and some of the guys like SosMula and ZillaKami are pretty heavy and their own thing, along with Horror.

For instance, these videos: https://youtu.be/DMfnUe3SHkM

https://youtu.be/UUd2ET7vOtQ

I agree that that stuff isn't horrorcore.

I just recently got into that and that's rappers from the 90s like the Gravediggaz, Flatlinerz, Brotha Lynch Hung, etc, good stuff but it's just a style of rap with very morbid lyrics and doesn't have the trap and industrial type influence that this newer ''trap metal'' style has.

There's also Death Grips who i don't know much and who doesn't appeal to me as much but they are kind of interesting as well.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:56 am 

Unorthodox wrote:

Yeah I liked those videos.

That's definitely what people are calling ''trap metal'' these days, particularly the Euronymous tribute.

Of course, I wouldn't really call it metal by any means, but it has the influence, whereas horrorcore never really had much metal influence but just had similarly morbid lyrics to death and black metal bands, but i still enjoy that stuff as well.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:07 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I know the latter 2 are considered ''trap metal'', but what style of music would you guys consider Ghostmane and Horror?

Ghostmane almost does sound like metal of sorts on a few tracks and all these bands do have some metal mixed in.

Which ones do you feel have metal in them, out of interest ? I tried out 'The System is Falling' and 'Euronymous' below, and without the music videos they're not too different from the stuff on urban music TV channels.

Also - since you guys know about this stuff - is there a term / name for that sound effect these 'trap'-rappers all use ? like a clock doing a drum fill (see the start of The System is Falling). Just always curious what the correct term for this stuff is ?

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:24 am 

Methuen wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Also - since you guys know about this stuff - is there a term / name for that sound effect these 'trap'-rappers all use ? like a clock doing a drum fill (see the start of The System is Falling). Just always curious what the correct term for this stuff is ?

I don't think that there is a specific name in trap music for it. It's a drum roll using a closed hihat sample. The sample is processed with a high pass filter, so it sounds like a short "t" sound. For the drum roll, it is played very fast, in 32th notes. Since the sound source is a sample, this sounds super mechanical, which is a major part of the sound.

Trap drumming is a bit atypical for electronic music in that the hihat is the most important part of the drum kit. Normally (in Techno, House, Hip Hop, etc.) it is either the base drum or the base drum and the snare. In Trap, the hihat lays down the rhythmical grid (t t t t t t t trtrtrtrtr), which is similar to the ride in jazz (ding ding deding deding), funnily enough.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:11 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Which ones do you feel have metal in them, out of interest ? I tried out 'The System is Falling' and 'Euronymous' below, and without the music videos they're not too different from the stuff on urban music TV channels.

Not that many of them really had that much metal in them, just sort of a bit of influence like the Euronymous tribute that one poster posted a link to.

But there are some tracks that have some heavy guitar parts at times that I could look for at some point.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 pm 

So, what are some of the bands/artists that started trap music in general and where and when can its' origins be traced to?

Would you guys say these bands we are talking about are less typical of trap music in general and really a different style altogether?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:28 am 

Trap's origins are like Black Metal's origins in that the artists that "started" it have close to no resemblance to modern trap other than in name. The name derives from the dirty south rappers in the poorer parts of Atlanta, and how they felt like dealing drugs and gang violence was essentially a "trap" they couldn't (and, sadly, many still can't) escape. If you're raised in a family that makes a living dealing drugs, if your friends deal drugs, if you grew up in a local community that has a shit education system that only prepares you to work a minimum wage job, you might, just maybe, do what a lot of people in your local community do to make money by dealing drugs and embracing gang life. Though this mini doc is only about Chicago, it largely reflects what happens in a lot of African American communities in this country.

Anyway, Gucci Mane was the first person to coin trap music with Trap House. You can already hear the resemblance with modern trap with the "tick tick tick" snares that descent in pitch and distinct hi hat. Although he was the first, Waka Flocka largely popularized a lot of the elements still heard in trap music. Frankly, when I first heard him, I absolutely hated it, but I distinctly remember one day that it sort of "clicked" as amazing hype music. Kinda like hardcore or death metal for rap, little musicianship, little attention to lyrics, just good music to get pumped to. Fuck, I still listen to Flockaveli sometimes, it's an undeniable classic at this point.

From there it's sort of become a catch-all for anyone that uses that snare/hi hat arrangement that Flocka popularized, and now I guess everything under the sun is trap. Trap seems to now mean, in a way, "hype rap", kind of taking the place of Crunk (even though Crunk died a longass time ago [shouts out to Injury Reserve for trying to keep it alive!]). Even- *big ass sigh*- Tekashi69 I've heard described as "trap" before. But yeah, I wouldn't consider Ghostemane trap, or Ho99o9, or xxxtentacion trap. But if that's what the kids call it, whatever. It's crazy, because I'm 27 now, and when this whole trap thing deviated from Flocka it was the first time in my life I really felt kind of old, seeing something get morphed into something very different by a somewhat younger group of people. I let them have fun with it, I don't want to be the stick-in-my-ass oldie that thinks the "good old days" are all that count. I don't know, maybe I'm not old, just secluded. I think Ghostemane is my age :lol:

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:16 am 

it's called a triple time hi-hat

makes a snake-hissing sound

trap started in Memphis, they laid the groundwork that three 6 Mafia followed, which later influenced Atlantans. Trap elements to look for are those, among the 808s and autotune and perhaps simple grooves

Reply to topic