Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:12 pm 

While it only took me a few minutes to create the list of my favourite metal albums of the decade, this list here took me quite some time. While I listen to different music genres, the broad metal genre is by far my favourite. These are the ten best records I could think of but I might have forgotten some. I decided to only choose each band once.

1. Grimskunk - Unreason in the Age of Madness (2018)
2. Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage (2016)
3. In Extremo - Sterneneisen (2011)
4. Oomph! - Ritual (2019)
5. Spacemak3r - Spacemak3r (2010)
6. Lindemann - Skills in Pills (2015)
7. Babymetal - Babymetal (2014)
8. Rammstein - Rammstein (2019)
9. Emigrate - Silent So Long (2014)
10. Blink-182 - Nine (2019)

Honourable mentions:

Coppelius - Zinnober (2010)
Subway to Sally - Mitgift (2014)
Spock's Beard - X (2010)
Pendragon - Passion (2011)
Arena - Double Vision (2018)

Band of the decade: In Extremo

''Hanako and the Suicide Forest'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/hanako-and-the-suicide-forest-a187892062

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:58 pm 

Heaps more could have gone into this and it was extremely difficult to narrow down but for the sake of being concise, here's my top 30:

1. Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle - Perils From the Sea (2013): Middle-aged man delivers a series of short stories about his life over awkward electronic beats for 77 minutes. 10/10.

2. Ceremony - Rohnert Park (2010): This album has stuck with me right through the entirety of the decade and I'm sure it still will for many years to come. A future punk classic, without a doubt.

3. Idles - Brutalism (2017): The blue-collared, even more pissed off British counterpart to Rohnert Park. Again, a future punk classic for sure.

4. Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises (2010): Very stripped down approach from Kozelek here after the grandiose April. Very haunting and forlorn Segovia-esque acoustic folk.

5. Sun Kil Moon - Benji (2014): Clinical depression in auditory form, Kozelek gets deeply personal here. Enough's been said over the years about this album so I won't drain it, but just a fantastic series of sad narratives backed by some absolutely gorgeous acoustic folk arrangements.

6. Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect (2015): While their 2017 album Relatives in Descent had arguably stronger highlights, this is just the more consistent album to me overall. Modern post-punk's best offering.

7. Pile - Dripping (2012): The direction indie rock should have taken in the 00's and 10's. The grit of 90's noise rock kings like The Jesus Lizard and Shellac mixed with the dynamics and melodic sense of Modest Mouse and Built to Spill and just a touch of american primitive. These guys deserve to be so much bigger in the scene.

8. Jon Hopkins - Immunity (2013): Beautifully produced and absolutely massive IDM/Microhouse album. Been my main soundtrack to summer nights for years now.

9. Preoccupations - Viet Cong (2015): Excellent post-punk debut that still holds up in every way. The opening riff to "Continental Shelf" still gives me chills.

10. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest (2013): While previous BoC releases always had a bit of a nostalgic, playful side to them (even the at times unnerving Geogaddi), this is arguably the darkest BoC album to date in my opinion. Evoking images of dusk lit desert highways, abandoned satellite stations, and derelict settlements, this record feels downright apocalyptic at times while still maintaining that vintage warm, hazy BoC production.

11. Birds in Row - You, Me & The Violence (2012): An emotional trainwreck of a hardcore album. The closing breakdown to "Walter Freeman" still gets me every time.

12. Parquet Courts - Wide Awake! (2018): Influences ranging from Talking Heads to Malkmus to Mark E Smith, this is a rather stylistically mixed bag of indie and post-punk. Very guitar driven with some of the best bass lines in a modern rock record and engaging lyrics make this an always fun and entertaining listen.

13. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata (2014): I don't check out nearly as much hip hop as I'd like to in recent years but this is a straight up heater front to back. Both guys arguably at their best here.

14. Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You (2014): The two prior albums are a pair of modern screamo juggernauts in their own right, but this tamed down, heavily post-rock influenced approach just hit me at a point in my life where it was deeply affecting on a more personal level. Lyrics are important with this one.

15. Bambara - Shadow on Everything (2018): Claustrophobic post-punk soaked in a deep southern, sleazy haze bearing influence from the likes of The Birthday Party, early Bad Seeds, and The Gun Club.

16. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away (2013)
17. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (2017)
18. Loma Prieta - I.V. (2012)
19. Title Fight - Floral Green (2012)
20. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for my Halo (2011)
21. Wild Nothing - Nocturne (2012)
22. Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes (2015)
23. Daughters - Daughters (2010)
24. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory (2012)
25. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972 (2011)
26. Grouper - Ruins (2014)
27. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse (2011)
28. Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Hiding Places (2019)
29. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (2012)
30. Tropical Fuck Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace (2018)
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:48 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
6. Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect (2015): While their 2017 album Relatives in Descent had arguably stronger highlights, this is just the more consistent album to me overall. Modern post-punk's best offering.

Agreed! They haven't yet hit the high water mark Agent Intellect is. That whole thing is solid start-to-finish.

Methuen wrote:
Bat For Lashes: The Bride (2016) - Natasha Khan is one of my favourite singers - she's got one of those smoky voices that just don't happen that often. This album is her 'I'm happy !' album, to degree, and calls back to older stuff from Two Suns in the melodies and vocal lines. Try out 'Widow's Peak'.

Oh wow, I love this album, but I've never heard anyone call it her happy album. I think the story in it is haunting and sad. Would make a wonderful film.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
8. Jon Hopkins - Immunity (2013): Beautifully produced and absolutely massive IDM/Microhouse album. Been my main soundtrack to summer nights for years now.

I discovered him because of his song that Coldplay sampled for the intro and outro of one of their albums. I still listen to "Insides" on a semi-regular basis.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:18 pm 

Not sure whether it's an oversight on my part, but has anyone mentioned Janelle Monáe? For some reason I forget to post about The ArchAndroid and The Electric Lady. Both impressive albums. Dirty Computer didn't grab me as much though.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:28 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Not sure whether it's an oversight on my part, but has anyone mentioned Janelle Monáe? For some reason I forget to post about The ArchAndroid and The Electric Lady. Both impressive albums. Dirty Computer didn't grab me as much though.

Wow, I truly thought ArchAndroid was pre-2010. Seems like a lifetime ago. Yeah, she's fantastic at everything she does (acting included)

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:02 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Steven Wilson-The Raven That Refused To Sing (2013). The live band is just on fire here, and the title track is still extremely moving.

All his albums are great, but I haven't spent enough time with them yet nor has one in particular leaped out at me yet.

FirebathDan wrote:
Deftones-...Gore (2016)
Gost-Behemoth (2015), Non Paradisi (2016), Possessor (2018)
Winery Dogs-Winery Dogs (2013), Hot Streak (2015)

Definitely thought about including these, just not quite as prominent as some others, like Perturbator, who you mention later.

FirebathDan wrote:
Tool-Fear Innoculum (2019)

I screwed up in not including this one, it definitely should have been on there. It's not on the level of some of their earlier work, but it's still Tool.

FirebathDan wrote:
Vanessa Carlton-Liberman (2015)

Another I probably should have included, but couldn't decide between that one or Rabbits On the Run. I was obsessed with her in the 00s and initially found the later albums to be a disappointment at first, but they've grown on me over time and have some of my favorite tracks of her's.

Methuen wrote:

The Birthday Massacre: Pins and Needles (2010) / Under Your Spell (2017) - Absolutely cannot choose between their records at the best of times, so narrowing it down a decade makes things no easier. I'll always pick 'Walking with strangers' and be the idiots dancing along to 'Kill the Lights' at the shows, but these two albums are excellent - great lyrics, great hooks, great big crunch guitars and what seem to be (probably because of their look) 'purple' synths just drowning you in electronic gothy goodness. A great vision of a 'heavy Chvrches', too.

That's an interesting way to think about them. I'm pleasantly surprised to find another fan of theirs here. I thought they were a band so "me" that no one else would get them. UYS and their one from earlier this year haven't grown on me yet, but I also could have picked PaN or WWS just as easily instead of HaS.

I also need to check out that Bat For Lashes album. Her first two were great, but I haven't gotten around to the later ones yet.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 am 

Goat (Sweden) "Commune." That album was life-changing for me. Their follow up was nearly as good, but really- those guys blew my mind. Some of the most amazing music I have ever heard.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:48 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I also need to check out that Bat For Lashes album. Her first two were great, but I haven't gotten around to the later ones yet.

It's mellow musically, even by her standards, but it's a powerhouse emotionally and her vocals are top-notch. I only finally checked it out at the beginning of this year partly because of jimbies high praise for it and partly because I was going to her show in mid February and wanted to familiarize myself with all her stuff. Very glad I did, and should've included The Bride in my shortlist here. As it's looking like Bat For Lashes might be the only gig I see this year, I'm glad it was her because she was amazing.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:09 pm 

^It's wierd, because I typically don't enjoy that type of music; most of the time I find it boring at best- but for some reason, I REALLY like her. Just her voice, the way she sings, and the effects of the melodies she uses, it's haunting but in a good way. Not at all like typical bubblegum pop, even though it kind of is that.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:20 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Another I probably should have included, but couldn't decide between that one or Rabbits On the Run. I was obsessed with her in the 00s and initially found the later albums to be a disappointment at first, but they've grown on me over time and have some of my favorite tracks of her's.

I think Love Is An Art blows both clean out of the water, but is obviously ineligible for this thread. I do appreciate how both her writing and voice have evolved over the years, I very much prefer the almost psychedelic weirdness of her later work.

She’s also done my all time favorite cover version.
Obliteration

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:12 pm 

I was quite underwhelmed with her latest one on the first listen, but as she is one of my favorite artists, I'm certain I'll eventually come back around to it, and maybe a few plays later I'll get into it more, as that is how the last two were as well.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Methuen wrote:

The Birthday Massacre: Pins and Needles (2010) / Under Your Spell (2017) - Absolutely cannot choose between their records at the best of times, so narrowing it down a decade makes things no easier. I'll always pick 'Walking with strangers' and be the idiots dancing along to 'Kill the Lights' at the shows, but these two albums are excellent - great lyrics, great hooks, great big crunch guitars and what seem to be (probably because of their look) 'purple' synths just drowning you in electronic gothy goodness. A great vision of a 'heavy Chvrches', too.

That's an interesting way to think about them. I'm pleasantly surprised to find another fan of theirs here. I thought they were a band so "me" that no one else would get them. UYS and their one from earlier this year haven't grown on me yet, but I also could have picked PaN or WWS just as easily instead of HaS.

I'm always astonished at how poorly-known TBM are - it's a great shame, as they're very good at what they do & it's not as if it's inaccessible experimental stuff, death growls, or something that puts off Johnny Mainstream. Lovely people too, got to meet them at a signing aeons ago in London, and they were just the chirpiest bunch - total opposite of your usual goth bands that are all a bit SERIOUS BUSINESS all of the time.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am 

Well, there are accented lines here and there that are sort of harsh, but yeah, not enough to be offputting to most people. All I can figure is that groups that mash together three or more distinct genres (even if there's some proximity and fanbase overlap) always run the risk that each portion of their potential fanbase might object to one of the other facets. The primarily industrial rock crowd probably would find the synthpop side too saccharine , the gothic rock fans find the industrial side too heavy, the synthpop fans find the gothic rock side too moody, etc. People who enjoy all three or more are in bliss, but perhaps fewer in number.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:00 pm 

I've not given this as much as thought as for the top 10 metal albums of the decade, but based on a top 30 of all genres I did earlier this year, these would be my top pics, althought I might have forgotten about a few records.

1. Ulver – The Assassination of Julius Caesar (2017)
I know it was mentionned in the opening post not to include bands from the archives, but since this record has basically nothing to do with metal music, and since it's my favorite non-metal release of the decade, I decided to include it. This is Ulver's peak from the last decade. They are at their best with a compelling theme guiding the listener through such a beautiful mix of trip-hop, electronic music, pop and downtempo.

2. Musk Ox – Woodfall (2014)
If you guys have not heard of Musk Ox yet, I strongly recommand listening to this. Nathaniel Larochette is the guy who wrote and performed the accoustic interludes on the last Agalloch record. He also toured with them twice as the opening act. Once alone, playing stuff from his first album, and again with his band when he had finished Woodfall. It's a beautiful neofolk record that focuses mostly on strings (classical guitar, violin, cello) with post-rock sensibilities and some of the most beautiful classical guitar work I've heard in ages.

3. Scale the Summit – The Migration (2013)
Gorgeous progressive instrumental rock with post-rock sensibilities. Some classify them as djent, but the tech parts aren't as central and they are more focused on building an atmosphere than to display technical prowess.

4. Foster the People – Torches (2011)
Best pop record of the decade if you ask me. I love how catchy, smart and well-crafted their songs are.

5. If These Trees Could Talk – The Bones of a Dying World (2016)
Absolutely gorgeous soundscapey post-rock from one of my all time favorites post-rock bands

6. Alt-J – An Awesome Wave (2012)
Another very interesting indie/pop record. Better than anything they've released since. It's catchy, poppy and memorable in all the right ways.

7. Carpenter Brut – Trilogy (2015)
All hail to the synthwave God! Seriously! This is synthwave music for metalheads PERIOD. It's dark! It's heavy and I just love how the intensity varies throughout this record. There's a few slower tracks in there, but for the most part it's this very dynamic, high energy stuff that gets your blood pumping.

8. Loco Locass – Le Québec est mort, vive le Québec (2012)
I'm including this although I don't love it quite as much as I did when it first came out because it still stuck with me for many years and it's more than capable french (from Québec) hip-hop with social, political, personnal and even spiritual and mythological themes scattered throughout. It's all in French though. So it might be hard to understand if you don't speak the language.

9. Mogwai – Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (2011)
Somehow Mogwai's fanbase seems to be very divided on this one, but I really like it.

10. King Buffalo – Longing to be the Mountain (2018)
If you've not heard this one yet, it's an essential record. It's hard to describe, but I'll try my best. I would say they are a stoner/prog rock band that takes a lot of influences from psychedelic/space rock of the 60's and 70's and creates tracks with this crazy atmosphere that makes you feel like you're in a science-fiction movie but still in the middle of the desert, like Dune or something like that.

Honorable mentions:
11. The Claypool Lennon Delirium – South of Reality (2019)
12. Nicolas Jaar – Space is Only Noise (2011)
13. Janelle Monae – The ArchAndroid (2010)
14. Daft Punk – Random Access Memories (2013)
15. Kvelertak – Kvelertak (2011)
16. Les Cowboys Fringants – Octobre (2015)
17. Explosions in the Sky – Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (2011)

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 pm 

Good to see another person that appreciates Carpenter Brut. I saw his set two years ago and it was fucking awesome.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:37 am 

I'm a fan of them too, just not quite as much as a few others. The whole dark-synth scene is probably my favorite non-metal music subgenre of the past decade.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:32 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I
If you guys have not heard of Musk Ox yet, I strongly recommand listening to this. Nathaniel Larochette is the guy who wrote and performed the accoustic interludes on the last Agalloch record. He also toured with them twice as the opening act. Once alone, playing stuff from his first album, and again with his band when he had finished Woodfall. It's a beautiful neofolk record that focuses mostly on strings (classical guitar, violin, cello) with post-rock sensibilities and some of the most beautiful classical guitar work I've heard in ages.

Somehow Mogwai's fanbase seems to be very divided on this one, but I really like it.

Good list, even though you BROKE THE RULES :grumble: (I had Ulver's album on my official ballot because fuck it, they are on the archives)

I actually played a show in 2010 where Nathanial opened for us. It's funny, at the time I was in an indie/folk band and we ended up having this huge chat about Agalloch and Woods Of Ypres (which got the headlining act, also an indie band, involved in the convo because they were from Windsor, Ontario and knew David Gold quite well)

I agree with the Mogwai choice. It's actually one of my favourite records of theirs. I like some of your honourable mentions as well!

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:50 am 

We almost need a whole separate year end list/thread for metal bands releasing non-metal albums. Then I'd have room for Anathema, Opeth, Autumn, Ulver, Within Temptation, and such.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Good to see another person that appreciates Carpenter Brut. I saw his set two years ago and it was fucking awesome.

Tight stuff!

jimbies wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
I

Good list, even though you BROKE THE RULES :grumble: (I had Ulver's album on my official ballot because fuck it, they are on the archives)

I actually played a show in 2010 where Nathanial opened for us. It's funny, at the time I was in an indie/folk band and we ended up having this huge chat about Agalloch and Woods Of Ypres (which got the headlining act, also an indie band, involved in the convo because they were from Windsor, Ontario and knew David Gold quite well)

I agree with the Mogwai choice. It's actually one of my favourite records of theirs. I like some of your honourable mentions as well!

Well, I mean... I didn't get to mention Ulver in the official thread because The Assassination of Julius Caeser is not a metal album, and now I shouldn't get to list them here because Ulver is on the Archives? I understand the logic, but it has to be on one of my lists, I'm sorry!

So you played with Nathaniel! That's great! The guy is also one of the sweetest person I've ever met. I actually saw him again in the crowd at a Cynic and Scale the Summit show in Montreal, and we talked for quite some time. He's actually also a big fan of Scale the Summit and spoke of them with a lot of admiration and a sparkle in his eye. What was the name of your band?

As for the honorable mentions, I had to throw in albums by Janelle Monae and Daft Punk in there. These two albums are textbook quality pop music, and are also very innovative in their own way.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:48 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
We almost need a whole separate year end list/thread for metal bands releasing non-metal albums. Then I'd have room for Anathema, Opeth, Autumn, Ulver, Within Temptation, and such.

IMHO, this should have been a non-metal albums of the decade thread. But I get why the OP asked this. I just had to break the rule for Ulver!

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:27 pm 

Yeah, it gets crazy. I have my M-A approved metal albums of the year, my non-M-A approved "metal" albums of the year, my M-A approved non-metal albums of the year, and my non-MA approved non-metal albums of the year. Being a music fan is hard work.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

IMHO, this should have been a non-metal albums of the decade thread. But I get why the OP asked this. I just had to break the rule for Ulver!

Ah, I ain't even mad. I mean, I totally get it! I'll PM you some stuff from the info band I played in.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 pm 

In no particular order:

Kathleen Edwards -Voyageur [2012] - A Canadian alternative country album. Its in my top 100 albums. Its like one of those road trip albums that keeps you going and going, appeals to your emotions.
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (2019) - Its a mixture of Joni Mitchell, Father John Misty, PJ Harvey and Beach House. Its those typical melancholic songwriter albums and in a good way.
Anderson Paak - Malibu (2016) - Its one of those melodic hip hop, RnB, soul, funk, gospel and slow jam albums. Really quality musicianship for my taste.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (2010) - Its in my top 100 albums of all time. Represents their shift from the much darker Neon Bible album into the more lighter sound (harsh critics call it a Bruce Springsteen copycat sound) which is not a bad thing at all. Really quality story telling songs.
Arcade Fire - Reflektor (2013) - Again in my top 100 albums. Interesting storytelling, back to the darker sound, sort of.
Arcade Fire - Everything Now (2017) - I always been a fan of AF, this album is probably my least favorite of theirs yet still enough tracks to keep you head nodding.

Beach House - Depression Cherry (2015) - This is one of those happy sad albums. It sounds sad and happy at the same time.
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (2015) - I like this album more for its musical side, its like a Sunday gospel album for hipsters and cool people.

Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials (2011) Contender for my fav. F+M album. I would say its her heaviest and loudest album and full of energy.
Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful (2015) - Probably my fav. album, I'm not sure yet. Every other track on the album gives me goosebumps.
Florence + The Machine - High As Hope (2018) My least favorite of her 4 albums. Its much slower, delicate, slow and personal.

Justice - Woman (2016) - It was interesting to listen to this album considering the horrific attacks that plauged France in 2015. You somewhat feel it in that album, the sadness and the turmoil. It seems very personal and offering some healing in the process. (PS: I like it more than Daft Punk's RAM album. Sue me!)
Kings of Leon - Mechanical Bull (2013) - This album offers everything from slow tracks, to fast ones, heavy to light. I like 95% of the tracks on the album. It might sound too simple yet doesnt mean its bad.
Queens of the Stone Age -[2013]- ...Like Clockwork - The only album that I really got into by the QOTSA. I know their obvious hits from past albums but this one is dark and melodic and well balanced.
Peter Bjorn And John -[2011]- Gimme Some - This one is my fav. after their break to fame album "Writer's Block". I find it the heaviest and the loudest. Gives you that garage punk rock The Hives vibe sometimes.
PJ Harvey -[2011]- Let England ShakeI knew of PJ for ages but somehow never got to listen to her material. This album is really the one that I like.
Two Door Cinema Club -[2010]- Tourist History Debut album, great fun fast and uplifting. Never got into their later material.
Lana Del Rey -[2012]- Born To Die - A debut one, surprisingly that album is only 8 years old, I thought it was much older. Nothing to say here that people dont already know. She gave us the emo pop version of the mainstreams of Gaga, Swift, Perry, Lorde and maybe even Billie Eilish.

Portugal. The Man -[2013]- Evil Friends - Their last album before they went pop mainstream. they still holds their unique sound. They are the US version of Peter Bjorn And John.
Portugal. The Man -[2011]- In The Mountain In The Cloud - One of the top 100 albums for me. Fav. albums from Satanic Satanist 2009 until Evil Friends 2013. They are one of those bands that if you do the best of album you can end up with about 50 tracks easily.

more albums to come......
PART:2

The Libertines - Anthems for Doomed Youth (2015)
- After a lengthy hiatus they release a pretty solid album that is exactly how I would have wanted it to sound, old sound.
The Avalanches - Wildflower (2016) Really musically intricate band, their albums feel like a long sound track to a movie that doesn't exist.
Todd Terje - It's Album Time (2014) One of the few DJ artists that release an albums and its great from beginning to end. No filler.
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hypnotic Eye (2014) Great rock album overall. Most bands that have a 30+ year carrer have hard time keeping relevant. This album does.
Toro y Moi - What For (2015) Great dream pop album
Trampled by Turtles - Live at First Avenue (2013) Good intro to anyone trying to get into bluegrass. They shred. Hard!
St. Vincent - MASSEDUCTION (2017) I knew of St Vincent for ages and could never get into her music. This album does it for me.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway (2016) Contrary to popular opinion I like that album. Thats what I would expect from them as far as sound, lyrics and vibe.
Ray Lamontagne - Part Of The Light (2018) I'm a fan of Ray.
Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros (2016) - I would say thats his heaviest album and has that "Ghost" doomish sound to it.
My Morning Jacket - Waterfall (2015) Again I'm a fan of MMJ, so its on the list
Jamie xx - In Colour (2015) Jamie XX really created his own sound as a musician and as a DJ. Every track on the album is solid. A rarity once again from DJ albums.
HAIM - Days Are Gone (2013) These sisters are able to recreate that 80's soft rock sound, considering their young ages they have great musicianship.
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound (2017) My intro to Jason Isbell as some one mentioned him earlier as well. Great take on alternative country with interesting lyrics as well.
The Head and the Heart - Let's Be Still (2013) Just a good folk album. If you like The Fleet Foxes, Good Old War, Of Monsters and Men.
Goat - World Music (2012) - I always though they are somehow connected to Ghost (all masked, both from Sweden) playing good wired music.
REM - Collapse Into Now (2011) - Strangely this album was a commercial flop so they quit as a band. I like their latest 2 albums than their previous 15 years of music (Anything after Automatic For The People was not my thing)
Kanye West - Yeezus (2013) - His last album that I really liked, probably the heaviest and the angriest. I think this is when he started to act strangely more and more and that to me reflected in the music as well. His latest Jesus is King is musically well done. I'm just not a fan of the religious angle.

Last edited by Yahko on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm 

^^^^

Nice list! Didn't expect to see Kathleen Edwards here. That's an incredible record. "Change the Sheets" is a wonderful song. I actually met Kathleen once, just before that record came out, in Wakefield, Quebec. Great person.

I'm a big Arcade Fire fan, as well, but I must say I really REALLY did not like the last one. All the rest are fantastic, imo.

I don't think I've heard that Justice album. I liked the debut A LOT, and then really disliked Audio, Video, Disco and never checked anything else out. Also, good mention for Lana. I'm a late-bloomer on her, but I've backtracked and gotten into all the records besides Honeymoon.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:43 am 

jimbies wrote:
Nice list! Didn't expect to see Kathleen Edwards here. That's an incredible record. "Change the Sheets" is a wonderful song. I actually met Kathleen once, just before that record came out, in Wakefield, Quebec. Great person.

I saw her with Matt Mays at Massey Hall in 2018 maybe. She did a few songs, forgot the lyrics to one song and had to start over - "Guys, I haven't sang it live in like 10 years, forgot the damn lyrics.....fuck". She was cool.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:34 pm 

As much time as I spent on my initial list, it clearly wasn't enough, because I keep running into music I'm kicking myself for not including. I'm on a big TesseracT and Tompkins binge right now, and One should have been on there, as well as Skyharbor's Guiding Lights.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2