Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:17 pm 

I went into this pandemic a fan of Conan O' Brien and after listening to most of the episodes of his podcast over the last 6 or so weeks I've been off work I am now a full fledged fan boy of him and the show.

I love the show so much I even enjoy hearing from his assistant Sona and the producer, Matt Gourley.

Does anyone else love this show? I could talk about it all day.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:45 pm 

I became his fan in 2001, when Late Night show was aired in Finland. I don't quite remember how long they were aired, but perhaps for a year or so.

Then... Nothing.

A few months go, I accidentally bump into his Youtube account TeamCoco. I was binge-watching his stuff. Those "Clueless Gamer" episodes are grand! I do not know if they have some written stuff in them, but at least some are not. Conan's got fast wits!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:04 pm 

I forgot about all those clueless gamer videos. I've never watched them, but I will now after you mentioning it.

And yes, he's very quick witted. I would find myself pretty intimidated if I somehow ended up in a battle of wits with him.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:08 pm 

A lot of his early lockdown skits he was doing on YouTube definitely cracked me up.

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:11 pm 

Being a huge Springsteen fan, I always loved any of the skits with Max.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:25 pm 

I'm a big fan of Conan O'Brien's work, specially his international specials, his trip to Italy with Jordan Schalansky was great.

Last edited by Thexhumed on Fri May 15, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krelgen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 pm 

I used to watch his show, but haven't listened to his podcast. Back in the day, Conan used to have the funniest skits of all the late night shows. His "Clutch Cargo" interviews were great. There's a few clips floating around on Youtube. And anything with Jordan Schlansky is gold. I'd highly recommend them.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:50 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
I'm a big fan of Conan O'Brien work, specially his international specials, his trip to Italy with Jordan Schalansky was great.

Yes. This was where I first learned about his relationship with Jordan. I love watching him tear into Jordan and Jordan will play the straight man the whole time, but will take a few swings back every once in awhile.

I really like his back and forth with his assistant, Sona:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:26 am 

I can't help it. Here's more:

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:09 pm 

I was a HUGE fan of Conan since about 2001. I would never miss "Late Night" and felt that Conan was the most clever comedian on TV. Then...he took over for Jay Leno. That show felt differently, and after a little while the change was just too noticeable and I phased out of tuning in. Which I think was largely the reason for his failure. It wasn't all about Leno's shitty lead-in. His brand of humor was tampered with somewhat, the segments suffered, and I think long-time fans like me lost a good deal of interest. I was still shocked when he was cancelled, though. Even when he got the show on TBS it felt that he was never able to recapture the "Late Night" energy he used to have. I haven't watched an episode of Conan in years and it really depresses me to realize that.

But, maybe I should give this podcast of his a try. One of my favorite moments in Conan history was the "strike show episodes," since Conan off-script and left to his own devices is where he shines best.

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:02 am 

Does Conan no longer have a late night show on TV and only does podcasts now, or does he do both?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:36 am 

Grisly Bare wrote:
Does Conan no longer have a late night show on TV and only does podcasts now, or does he do both?

I'm pretty sure he does both. I don't know when the last time he did the late night show on TV due to the pandemic, though.

Maybe, he's been doing it lately. Ever since going back to work my Conan podcast time has dwindled down to zero.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 am 

Been listening to this podcast recently and I have to say some of the funniest parts are just when Sona, Gorley and Conan are joking around together. I've listened to the opening and closing of a few episodes just because the guest wasn't as funny or interesting as the other part.

For me the John Mullany episode was a little bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be hilarious, but I dunno it was like they didn't work well together.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:17 am 

Earthshine wrote:
Been listening to this podcast recently and I have to say some of the funniest parts are just when Sona, Gorley and Conan are joking around together. I've listened to the opening and closing of a few episodes just because the guest wasn't as funny or interesting as the other part.

For me the John Mullany episode was a little bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be hilarious, but I dunno it was like they didn't work well together.

Yea, I know what you mean with Mullany, but I don't find him to be all that hilarious to be honest.

Reply to topic