Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 pm 

Has anyone ever done surveys or studies to figure out whether American metal bands tend to lean more left or right politically? I'm sure there are views on both sides, as well as bands that lean towards extreme anarchy or fascism, unfortunately. But I don't know as a whole whether there is some systematic tendencies leaning one way or the other across the political spectrum. And furthermore how political views in metal have changed over time in the US.

As a lifelong metal fan who has always tended to ignore any political messaging in my music, but in reality as a liberal person who supports the BLM movement, for example, I guess it's becoming increasingly important that I put my ears where my mouth is or something like that.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 pm 

Most of the more popular death metal bands these days lean left, at least socially. I know Exhumed and Ghoul take time out to rip into shitty pro-fash commenters on their social media pages, at least, and I've seen most Unique Leader bands throw their support behind BLM.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pm 

The amount of right-wing supporters in metal bands directly correlates to how much influence said bands take from Pantera and/or Lamb of God.

I'm only kind of kidding, in my lived experience (in southern Canada, which is one of the more Americanized places in the world not actually in the US) it's almost a given that any thrash/groove metal band will have at least one confederate flag guy. Extreme metal seems less prone to it (the black metal scene is particularly left-leaning, which is a weird statement to make since 10 years ago it probably would have been the other way around).

You can't really generalize things, but chances are if I see a local band and one of the guys is playing a Dimebag signature guitar onstage, I don't want to know what his thoughts are on trans people or BLM.

BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - Death? Prog? Melodic? iunno
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:40 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
The amount of right-wing supporters in metal bands directly correlates to how much influence said bands take from Pantera and/or Lamb of God.

Lamb of God is pretty left wing o.0

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:01 pm 

I was gonna say, Randy Blythe just said in an interview the other day that Confederate statues should be removed from public display, preferring that they be placed in museums, complete with graffiti and other defacings intact, as a testament to this moment in history where the overwhelming majority of people in the US are saying "no more" to police brutality and institutionalized racism. He said, and this is copypasted from Loudwire's article about it:

Quote:
"I think it's important to recognize when and why these monuments were put up, because there's this false narrative that at the end of the Civil War, the Confederacy put up all these monuments," said Blythe, who elaborated, "Most of these monuments, they were erected during the Jim Crow era, when the segregationist laws were put into effect. And they were put there to cement the position of white people in our society, particularly in the South."

Speaking more directly about the divisive statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, the commander of the Confederate army whose 1865 surrender essentially ended the Civil War, Blythe relayed, "I find it very interesting, for me, the biggest monument is Robert E. Lee on Monument Avenue, that Robert E. Lee himself was very against erecting such monuments; on several different occasions, he spoke against it."

Blythe contends that Lee felt reminders of the Civil War should be removed to afford the opportunity for healing. "But with Jim Crow and the need to — now that slaves are illegal — the need to keep black people in a subservient position, both physically and economically, they erect these big monuments," the singer went on, noting that tax dollars are behind the maintenance, lighting and current police protection of Confederate statues.

"It's just a reminder of going back all the way to why the African-American community is here in the first place, which is slavery," asserted the singer, who noted Richmond's community is predominantly Black. "Richmond had the second-largest slave market in the United States; the first was in New Orleans."

Blythe also spoke about the death of Minneapolis man George Floyd, who died in police custody on video, spurring worldwide protests against police brutality and for racial equality. He said these tensions have been building up and "in Richmond, particularly the younger population, they've had enough of this. We've talked about putting the statues in context or maybe adding signs or all this other stuff. I think particularly the youth today are just, like, 'No. This is a slap in the face.'"

Local officials around the country have used executive authority to order the removal of Confederate statues and the national debate on how to properly handle this issue often results in heated debates.

Blythe, however, has a unique idea.

"I believe — it's my personal belief — that the statues should be preserved," he urged, cautioning, "Not where they are, in this glorified position on Monument [Avenue], and everybody's tax dollars are paying to take care of them."

As for what to do with them, the Lamb of God singer suggested, "But I think they should be taken — they are supposed to be put in storage. And maybe they can be in a museum exhibit or something, so people can understand this time. And when I say this time, I'm talking about right now; there's graffiti all over these things."

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:05 pm 

I think it's actually relatively hard to find right-wing metal bands in general, at least of the sort that qualify here. But I'm not entirely sure it's healthy though. If everyone is of more or less the same ideology you tend towards group think, conformity, and a lack of diversity of opinion, which can result in stagnation and a lack of progress.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:12 pm 

Iced Earth is somewhat right wing, or at least Jon Schaffer definitely is, and they suck, so that's enough of a connection for me.

Most metal bands don't seem to put current western political movements at the forefront of their music. Maybe you'll get a song saying it's shitty to be a racist like Metal Church did back in the 90s, but that's usually about it except for some select bands like Megadeth with the stupid ass Alex Jones lyrics. Panopticon has some left-wing lyrics though.

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:49 pm 

I tend to avoid bands with overt political messages, music should be fun. I think art is meant to be absorbed for enjoyment than education and despite social commentary being welcomed by fans from their artists, politics are so much more divisive. That discordance gets in the way of fun.

Music can be very liberating for social causes though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I think it's actually relatively hard to find right-wing metal bands in general, at least of the sort that qualify here. But I'm not entirely sure it's healthy though. If everyone is of more or less the same ideology you tends towards group think, conformity, and a lack of diversity of opinion, which can result in stagnation and a lack of progress.

Whatever "progress" gets made by entertaining fascist shit isn't progress worth making. And anybody who thinks the left is a unified hivemind devoid of factions and infighting hasn't spent more than an hour in deep left spaces.

And while Lamb of God is more explicitly left wing nowadays and has always been at the very least anti-Bush, they did have a song about how the southern pride is good and people should quit holding the Confederacy against it back on As the Palaces Burn. They've come a long way from that obviously but that + their Virginia origins + their Pantera influence means meatheaded racists were going to flock to them no matter how many explicitly anti-war songs they write.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:58 pm 

Not a single mention of Tempo of the Damned? :nono:

Steve was shitting on Bush during a time when it was only acceptable for an American to shit on the alt-rock band Bush.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:00 pm 

There was plenty of anti-bush music in those times. I certainly remember. Most people had just retreated into a catatonic state concerning politricks so most of the protest music of that era didn't end up sticking. Pentagon papers aside, that was the first time a lot of Americans had ever genuinely internalized the fact that they'd been completely played and tricked into evil by their leaders. It's a hard pill.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:28 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I think it's actually relatively hard to find right-wing metal bands in general, at least of the sort that qualify here. But I'm not entirely sure it's healthy though. If everyone is of more or less the same ideology you tends towards group think, conformity, and a lack of diversity of opinion, which can result in stagnation and a lack of progress.

Whatever "progress" gets made by entertaining fascist shit isn't progress worth making.

Right-wing isn't inherently fascist any more than left-wing is totalitarian communism. It's the extremes that are dangerous.

Mellifleur wrote:
There was plenty of anti-bush music in those times. I certainly remember. Most people had just retreated into a catatonic state concerning politricks so most of the protest music of that era didn't end up sticking. Pentagon papers aside, that was the first time a lot of Americans had ever genuinely internalized the fact that they'd been completely played and tricked into evil by their leaders. It's a hard pill.

I lost track of how many "Rock Against Bush" compilations I walked by in the 00s. What irked me is how when Obama came into office all those sorts of bands suddenly became silent, even though Obama continued many of Bush's worst policies. The team in power changed, but the common people get fucked either way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:57 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

My thing with this is that it shouldn't have to be this binary. Not being right wing, and not listening to right wing bands - I don't think that means I'm in some group think echo chamber artistically. There are a lot of things music and art can be about. If there's a right wing act that can communicate a message without regurgitating bad arguments or being repugnant to me ideologically, I wouldn't have a problem listening at all - haven't seen one yet though...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Iced Earth is somewhat right wing, or at least Jon Schaffer definitely is, and they suck, so that's enough of a connection for me.

Matt Barlow becoming a fucking cop is a hilarious add-on too.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

My thing with this is that it shouldn't have to be this binary. Not being right wing, and not listening to right wing bands - I don't think that means I'm in some group think echo chamber artistically. There are a lot of things music and art can be about. If there's a right wing act that can communicate a message without regurgitating bad arguments or being repugnant to me ideologically, I wouldn't have a problem listening at all - haven't seen one yet though...

What about Rush? They're more libertarian, but particularly Neil's earlier works I'd say are more on the right than the left.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

What about Rush? They're more libertarian, but particularly Neil's earlier works I'd say are more on the right than the left.

I guess that would be an example then. Their stuff was so old that I never really bothered to read the lyrics in the political context I know today, but yeah I mean some of their 70s stuff could be that way for sure. It seemed like their image wasn't the hyperpoliticized thing of a Havok 'Conformicide' too so that was also a factor in not really associating them as such. The lyrics being so good, too, also helped.

Quote:
Matt Barlow becoming a fucking cop is a hilarious add-on too.

They truly should be played at more Republican campaign rallies...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 am 

I think it's kind of ironic that the guy who once wrote songs like "Peace Sells...but Whose Buying" and "Hook in Mouth" (against censorship) is now one of the most outspoken right wing bands in mainstream metal. Now, he's not as extreme as some of these racist idiots (e.g Arghoslent) that are out there, but still, some of the crap he spouts off is pretty cringeworthy in a Ted Nugent, "Guns fer Jesus, Deport 'em all!" mentality.

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:24 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I think it's kind of ironic that the guy who once wrote songs like "Peace Sells...but Whose Buying" and "Hook in Mouth" (against censorship) is now one of the most outspoken right wing bands in mainstream metal. Now, he's not as extreme as some of these racist idiots (e.g Arghoslent) that are out there, but still, some of the crap he spouts off is pretty cringeworthy in a Ted Nugent, "Guns fer Jesus, Deport 'em all!" mentality.
Despite how polar opposite I am from Ted Nugent politically, I have always enjoyed his music. I just simply tune him out when he begins going political. Are you able to?

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:02 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I lost track of how many "Rock Against Bush" compilations I walked by in the 00s. What irked me is how when Obama came into office all those sorts of bands suddenly became silent, even though Obama continued many of Bush's worst policies. The team in power changed, but the common people get fucked either way.

People are often more concerned with being with the right in-group rather than be critical about the actual policies their own group applies. It's always easier to critique people you don't sympathize with. It's certainly not limited to the example you gave. In Sweden its painfully obvious that people on both sides of the political spectrum critique the other side when they do something and when they themselves do the very same thing no one suddenly gets upset.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:06 am 

Bush was an easy target, for sure. That said, there was plenty of politically driven metal and hardcore that was released during the Obama years. The Acacia Strain, Beneath The Massacre, Thy Art is Murder, Fit For An Autopsy. It's not like everyone who talked about politics "went away".

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 am 

brightfield wrote:
Has anyone ever done surveys or studies to figure out whether American metal bands tend to lean more left or right politically? I'm sure there are views on both sides, as well as bands that lean towards extreme anarchy or fascism, unfortunately. But I don't know as a whole whether there is some systematic tendencies leaning one way or the other across the political spectrum. And furthermore how political views in metal have changed over time in the US.

As a lifelong metal fan who has always tended to ignore any political messaging in my music, but in reality as a liberal person who supports the BLM movement, for example, I guess it's becoming increasingly important that I put my ears where my mouth is or something like that.

Are you asking are US metal bands political of some flavour in their messaging, or in their daily lives / as a fundamental to them ? What kind of 'right' or 'left' are you thinking ?

I'm asking that question, as I'd observe that plenty put across a vaguely 'left' (fuck the man, anti-this-or-that) type message through their music, and then want a nice big house, wife & kids, Lincoln to drive (or be driven in) between shows. Both sides of the political loony bin would have a lot to say about that situation.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 am 

I feel like claiming anarchism and nazism are the same isn't the best start for a topic about politics. Last time I checked anarchists didn't murder 17-18 million people.

Other than the Pantera redneck thing, I feel bands in the USA tend to be more left leaning because rock and metal have always had a history of fighting social injustice there. It's quite the opposite in countries like Finland, Ukraine and Russia which are obviously right wing oriented. Another one I've spotted is how oblivious to the whole thing Australians are. It's usual for bands in Australia/New Zealand to openly display nazi symbols like swastikas or black suns (Bolzer and Vassafor are the obvious examples) but they will go on interviews saying it's great their parents/ancestors/whatever are coloured people/aboriginal Australians/etc.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:45 am 

Well, John Petrucci is a Trump supporter but Mike Portnoy is very left-oriented and has made anti-Trump comments.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:54 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I feel like claiming anarchism and nazism are the same isn't the best start for a topic about politics. Last time I checked anarchists didn't murder 17-18 million people.

In raw numbers they're definitely down the league table, but look up some of the syndicalist / anarchist groups in the Spanish Civil War - they had a great time murdering monks / nuns / political enemies / captured soldiers in the usual creative manner adopted by political headbangers the world over.

Gravetemplar wrote:
Other than the Pantera redneck thing, I feel bands in the USA tend to be more left leaning because rock and metal have always had a history of fighting social injustice there.

Honest question - I skipped that entire genre thing in popular metal - how did Pantera end up with such a bad reputation for this kind of stuff ? I've seen the gymbro fans & so on, and met their attitude, but then you get that with Slayer fans too.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:03 am 

Yeah but with a small section of Slayer fans, not the majority. That's the difference.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:20 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Other than the Pantera redneck thing, I feel bands in the USA tend to be more left leaning because rock and metal have always had a history of fighting social injustice there. It's quite the opposite in countries like Finland, Ukraine and Russia which are obviously right wing oriented.

Unfortunately, yes. There's a significant portion of metal fandom in Finland that quietly accepts or supports edgy right wing politics. It's either that or apolitical.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 am 

In Nordic countries where you get a hundred bands out of different combinations of six guys it's easy to get a large amount of bands going in the same direction.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:46 am 

Do you think it has anything to do with the right-wing being strongly represented in American politics (where even half the elected Democrats are international right-wingers), whereas in Nordic countries it's generally the international left/center-left that's more represented in politics? Metal has always attracted people who feel ostracized for various reasons, I wonder if this has metastasized into more contrarian politics.

Mellifleur wrote:

In 2003, if you were an American and not on the America/Bush train, you were probably a terrorist.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 am 

Methuen wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

In raw numbers they're definitely down the league table, but look up some of the syndicalist / anarchist groups in the Spanish Civil War - they had a great time murdering monks / nuns / political enemies / captured soldiers in the usual creative manner adopted by political headbangers the world over.

I'm not going to defend the atrocities committed by the Republican faction in times of civil war that happened in 1936 (I'm sure there were a lot, war is fucked up) but it's still not the same and it will never be for one simple reason: no actual anarchist organisation still advocates for the murdering of nuns here. Anarchist organisations here fight for social equality, dignity and Civil Rights. On the other hands, we still have fascist political parties here in Spain that still spew racist messages and are completely fine with the "murdering of lefties". They have even said political opponents should be "shot near a ditch", an usual form of execution in the Civil War. I'm from Spain by the way and my country is still fucked up by 36 years of the fascist Francoist dictatorship. There were 36 years of oppression and murder. A lot of people in here still think those were "the golden years." The fascist party here got 3.640.000 votes in the last election, the 3rd most voted political party. A party that directly quotes Trump and is very nostalgic of the dictatorship, Franco and the murdering of anyone that wasn't white, straight and Catholic. So please, don't tell me it's the same. Not by a long shot.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:00 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
your long post

That's fair, I don't live in Spain, so don't have your experience of now - happy to take this over to the free-for-all so that this thread isn't derailed !

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:16 am 

Methuen wrote:
Honest question - I skipped that entire genre thing in popular metal - how did Pantera end up with such a bad reputation for this kind of stuff ? I've seen the gymbro fans & so on, and met their attitude, but then you get that with Slayer fans too.

It's probably at least partially their "home video" compilations. I've never seen them, but I've heard things about them. The drunken shenanigans side of rock/metal has never appealed to me.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:25 am 

brightfield wrote:
Has anyone ever done surveys or studies to figure out whether American metal bands tend to lean more left or right politically?

I couldn't find anything using Google Scholar. You can look at pdf 8 here (Part 3 of the book) for some interesting insights.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm 

Recently I was reading some Waco Jesus lyrics for whatever reason I don't remember and I think it's safe to assume that the Dayton, Ohio spree killer wasn't the only radical incel in goregrind.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:42 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
your long post

That's fair, I don't live in Spain, so don't have your experience of now - happy to take this over to the free-for-all so that this thread isn't derailed !

I'm sorry to be this blunt but there's a lot of wild shit going on in my country right now and we still have a lot of unresolved stuff from those years. There's a very scary rise of fascism here and they'll probably be a part of the next government so I don't take this stuff lightly. Thanks for understanding!

To get back on topic, I'll try to answer your last question:

Methuen wrote:

I have the impression Anselmo is to blame for this since he's always had this redneck/Southern appeal but afaik Pantera was very supportive of "Confederate pride" or whatever you want to call it.

Slayer had a very strong anti-religious message that didn't sit as well to religious folk.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:03 pm 

over here in NL its not very clear cut. There are some far right bands here ofcourse but not that many are open about it. Also some people seemingly have transitioned from being labour oriented to conservative right wing. One of the major conservative right wing parties of the last 20 years the PVV wrapped right wing stuff in a leftist veil, like how foreign aid should be spend at home on our own healthcare etc but then they always end up voting for cliche right wing anti spending bills.

The death metal scene however still I'd is leftist on average. I suspect most still would vote mostly for our socialist party or the greens. The new bm scene that has been getting attention the last couple years is as far as i know p much straight leftist, only the older bm people are more right wing.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:33 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
Despite how polar opposite I am from Ted Nugent politically, I have always enjoyed his music. I just simply tune him out when he begins going political. Are you able to?

I am not the person obviously you are talking to about Ted Nugent but personally myself yes I like his music. Its very decent stuff musically. Don't know what else to say.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm 

I too enjoy Nugent's guitar playing and his music, same with most of that of Mustaine. If only they would just "Shut the hell up and play guitar..."

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:22 pm 

It's crazy how many times I would go to the All Shall Perish fan page on FB and see a comment saying "You guys need to stop talking about politics, you're musicians", without realizing that the bands most famous album is highly critical of capitalism.

So, with that said, I think it's fine that Mustaine and Ted Nugent talk about politics. Fuck- I think it's fine Varg talks about his loony tune ideas. But no one should be surprised if they find it turns people away, or attracts people with certain political views.

On a side note, the one thing I think is interesting about this forum, and I only realized the slight irony of it all recently, is that people here are generally not too fond of core music. There's nothing at all wrong with that, but simultaneously the members of this board more often lean left as opposed to right, which these days is more in line with core bands than a lot of the current metal scene (especially in Europe).

Just kinda goes to show that even if you have the opposite political views of artists, their art can still be appreciated, and visa versa.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
It's crazy how many times I would go to the All Shall Perish fan page on FB and see a comment saying "You guys need to stop talking about politics, you're musicians", without realizing that the bands most famous album is highly critical of capitalism.

Something similar happened a few weeks back to System of a Down and it's funny to watch but at the same time it's sad. Turns out their own drummer has been completely oblivious to what Serj Tankian was singing about. Or he was in it just for the money. Some of their fans have apparently just found SOAD are a political band that leans heavily on the left spectrum. Who could have guessed that a group of people singing against the Armenian genocide and against capitalism would be political?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/system-o ... cy-2703672

https://www.nme.com/news/music/system-o ... es-2690005

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:29 am 

Similarly, there's a good bit of uproar whenever Gwar makes a political statement, usually along the lines of "Brockie wasn't political," and then all the out-of-character interviews that Dave Brockie did where he calls for a full-on revolution led by black and Native peoples of the US are brought up. "Wow, I didn't know!"

You didn't know that a Canadian who came to America for ART SCHOOL and started a dozen PUNK BANDS, always railing against fascists and neolibs and hyper-capitalists, would have leaned left? Dude was good friends with Jello Biafra. Let it sink in.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next