Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm 

Local boys done good, The Vintage Caravan, have an album out tomorrow if anyone is interested! I'm excited at least.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:45 am 

Not an album, but I'm going to be interested to see what David Gilmour does on this song -

https://bravewords.com/news/peter-green-new-book-on-late-fleetwood-mac-co-founder-to-feature-newly-recorded-music-from-david-gilmour-kirk-hammett-teaser-video

Quote:
During the evolution of the book it was decided to include some unique music as part of the project. A newly discovered vocal take by Peter (Green), recorded in the late sixties in his mother’s house on a tape recorder, of "Need Your Love So Bad" formed the basis of the first song with guitars provided by Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour, a huge fan of Peter’s work. The track was produced by Laurie Latham. Peter heard and approved mixes of the track.

manson the unikorn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 am 

There's a local group from Richmond, VA called Downhaul which has this midwestern mathy emo style, but with a hint of folk and they're releasing a sophomore album at the end of May! I'm super excited, their debut was fantastic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 am 

Sleater-Kinney have a new one coming out called Path of Wellness.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... u-1167753/

Tracklist and first single video there... this one sounds much more like their older stuff than The Center Won't Hold; more groovy and bouncy again. Sounds good.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:13 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Sleater-Kinney have a new one coming out called Path of Wellness.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... u-1167753/

Tracklist and first single video there... this one sounds much more like their older stuff than The Center Won't Hold; more groovy and bouncy again. Sounds good.

Couldn't get into 'The Center...', at all - this new single I like though, it's got that just-post-80s pop-rock feeling without sounding completely contrived. What's the best of their older stuff to try out ? (asking since you're on a roll for posting stuff I like this week...)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 am 

'The Woods' is probably their masterpiece - it's sort of punky but also has a lot of classic and garage rock shit going on and really just kind of blends genres. But I've heard most of their stuff and it's all at least good if not great except for that last album - their comeback album No Cities to Love is a great slice of ultra catchy pop punkish kind of rock, really just their own style entirely.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm 

Here's one that was announced a few weeks back but I'm just now hearing about: a new album from the OG melodic hardcore/skate punk/pop punk legends Descendents, out July 23rd on Epitaph.

https://www.epitaph.com/artists/descend ... 9th-walnut

Apparently, this album was recorded back in 2002 by the Milo Goes to College-era lineup (Milo, Bill Stevenson, Frank Navetta, and Tony Lombardo) with Milo recording vocals in the past year or so. Most of the material predates MGTC, with at least one song from that album's sessions. A couple pre-Milo tracks (Ride the Wild and It's a Hectic World) have been re-recorded. The first single is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alERHDp5YFU

Personally I'm really excited for this, Milo Goes to College and Everything Sucks are two of my favorite punk albums of all time. Wondering why these songs weren't recorded back in the day/recorded until 2002--hopefully it's not due to subpar quality of songwriting.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:29 am 

^I preordered that the moment it went on sale. They're definitely one of my favorite punk bands of all time.

Looking forward to this new Creeper EP, "American Noir". They're an overtly theatrical goth-tinged pop punk band, though "Sex, Death & the Infinite Void" - the album they put out last year - has a lot more to it than just that (some Jim Steinman-esque parts for example - they also said they were influenced by Roy Orbison and I can hear that in there too, not to mention the gothic rock elements that are clearly present). Anyway, yeah, I like this new single.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ1Ot-bNCW4

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:37 pm 

I'm really looking forward to Laura Brehm's new full length, her first in 11 years. The singles she's released have been very promising indeed. Ambient piano-driven stuff.

Unfortunately the album release date got shoved back, because she had a death in the family and had to take some time to recover emotionally.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:15 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
As for AVA, I’m beyond skeptical at this point, Tom DeLonge is so far off his rocker with this UFO conspiracy stuff that music seems like an afterthought. That said, the two singles that were released last year were damn good.

It's happening!! Lifeforms is out on 24th September. Looks like four of the recently released songs will be on it (including the one that came out today, "Restless Souls"). "All That's Left Is Love" isn't featured.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:25 am 

Excited for the newly announced album from Vince Staples. I feel like Big Fish Theory and FUN are both classics.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:46 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
As for AVA, I’m beyond skeptical at this point, Tom DeLonge is so far off his rocker with this UFO conspiracy stuff that music seems like an afterthought. That said, the two singles that were released last year were damn good.

It's happening!! Lifeforms is out on 24th September. Looks like four of the recently released songs will be on it (including the one that came out today, "Restless Souls"). "All That's Left Is Love" isn't featured.

It’s about time :lol:

That said, “Euphoria” and “Restless Souls” were decent, not excellent. Still, I’ll buy the vinyl when released.
Obliteration

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2