Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 am 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Can anyone recommend seedy 80s shit? I’m looking for something like Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns, anything that’s like Akira with gangs, drugs, rape, general vile and evil

Hard Boiled by Miller and Darrow maybe? Probably my best bet.

Neonomicon by Alan Moore is another tough one, but it's genius at the same time, though it's cthulhu stuff instead of gang violence, and not really 80s. Or if you really want to go weird, The Filth by Grant Morrison is kinda messed up, though again, not 80s stuff.

EDIT: HOW COULD I FORGET - you HAVE to check out Fukitor which is just... total over the top grindhouse depravity, hand drawn sleaze, ultra gore and sexual violence. A lot of controversy about misogyny and racism, but it's not as clear cut. Here's pictures and some thoughts. https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2013/ ... f-fukitor/

Art style

Spoiler: show

billboy73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:23 pm 

Loved comics when I was younger, but largely stopped in the early 2000's. I was mainly into X-men and Batman stuff. About a year ago I started digging into my old boxes of comics and started buying to fill in some of the issues I never bought back in the day. I have really been enjoying going through Claremont's original run on X-men (buying X-men Classic issues). Recently I have been reading the 1st series of Excalibur and really enjoying it. Nightcrawler has always been my favorite X-man. Claremont did a 12 issue run on Nightcrawler a few years back that I will track down to read next.

Haven't been into any newer stuff yet, but the Batman '89 info that DC released a few days ago has me pretty excited. Loved that movie and the artwork that was released so far looks pretty awesome.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2