Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Floodland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm 

There's music far superior to metal in every aspect and much more rewarding.
My life long experience has made me realize any of these styles would result in immense pleasure, making you forget metal has even ever existed:
Martial Industrial
Neoclassical
Punk rock (the British kind, e.g. Crass)
Hardcore Punk
Post Punk
Gothic rock a-la Bauhaus, Sisters Of Mercy
Avantgarde a-la Diamanda Gallas
No Wave a-la Swans
electronic music a-la Diabolous Rising, Raism, Frontline Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Controlled Bleeding
New Wave of the early or pseudo early stuff with strong Eighties vibe
Progressive rock such as Rush (mainly stuff like Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows)
Miscellaneous mentioning of: Austrian Pazuzu, French Shub Niggurath, Puissance, Arditi, Magma, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, Devil Doll, Laibach (Macbeth is amazing), Lacrimosa, Laeather Strip, Tangerine Dream...

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:37 pm 

Floodland wrote:
lots of nonsense

If there ever was a case of leave the hall, this is it!

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:38 pm 

I like lots of that stuff (and plenty more, jazz-fusion, hard bop, Arabic chamber jazz, mugam, Hindustani Indian classical, darksynth, ethereal wave, progressive bluegrass, roots reggae, Mande music, etc.), and metalheads who only listen to metal and don't explore other non-mainstream genres are definitely missing out, but to say all of that is superior to metal is ridiculous. It's all varied great types of music for different flavors and moods.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 am 

Howdy, it seems I'm late to this party, but I need some rec myself.

What I'm looking is some sort of soft or upbeat minimal or acoustic rock/metal, without melancholic touches like Anathema or Antimatter, or Green Carnation, and so forth. Something pleasant and catchy without additional heavy luggage.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 am 

Xymosys wrote:
Howdy, it seems I'm late to this party, but I need some rec myself.

What I'm looking is some sort of soft or upbeat minimal or acoustic rock/metal, without melancholic touches like Anathema or Antimatter, or Green Carnation, and so forth. Something pleasant and catchy without additional heavy luggage.

They are listed here as a metal band, but try the album "Mute Boy, Sad Girl" by Autumnblaze if you haven't heard it.
In terms of stuff not archived as being attached to metal, Blackfield's self-titled album is pretty nice.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:25 am 

I'm thinking you might be misinterpreting what Xymosys is looking for. It seems the "without melodic touches" indicates he's looking for happier, more optimistic bands, essentially the opposite of the ones he listed. And in that case, Autumnblaze's gothic, black metal, and doom influences don't fit with that, and that Blackfield album is also pretty melancholic.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:36 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Killing Joke has had a quite long and winding career, and I'm not nearly as familiar with it as I'd like, but their early post-punk albums are especially good.

Huge Killing Joke fan here, I'd say their later stuff is even better: Pandemonium, Democracy, Killing Joke (2003) and Hosannas From the Basements of Hell is an amazing run of 4 consecutive great albums. You should check them if you're not familiar with them.

I can't express enough how much killing joke is awesome.

I have been digging alot of non metal artist lately , one is a satanic doo whop band called Twin Temple:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7upcari_WxB_cPhVvIFELc8J2j1sxrnM

Another is a synth new wave band called Choir Boy and this is one of my favorite albums from last year

https://youtu.be/tE7_58dNsk4

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2