Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:45 pm 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-booed-alabama-rally-after-telling-supporters-get-vaccinated-n1277404

That moment when you realize that you've completely lost control of the toxic cult that you've created. These people are essentially a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:57 pm 

Did anyone expect it to go any differently, though? The Q/Trump cult pretty much immediately turns on anyone in the fold that advocates for something they don't like. The fact that it's their God Emperor that they're booing now is of zero surprise to me. It was inevitable that eventually he'd say something that they think is off brand and they'd go after him. Whether or not this is a sustained rejection of Trump by the cult is to be seen, but I can't imagine anybody thinking that this'd last forever.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:43 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

Holy crap.

I mean, if he had convinced his "fanbase" to get vaccinated, that would be great. But... wow. That is unbelievable. Followers of the newer variants of American far-right political ideology turning on the person who arguably is the main reason those beliefs have gotten as popular as they have.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:20 pm 

Orange unchained said as soon as they started booing that it's their right to choose, which got them back to cheering. Fuck Alabama anyways.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:57 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

Holy crap.

I mean, if he had convinced his "fanbase" to get vaccinated, that would be great. But... wow. That is unbelievable. Followers of the newer variants of American far-right political ideology turning on the person who arguably is the main reason those beliefs have gotten as popular as they have.

That's because they don't stand for anything. The politicians don't have a platform other than "we must win elections", the base don't have values other than "me, me, me!" Right this moment, they simultaneously give flowers to Trump for the magnificent deal he cut with Talibans, attack Biden for following through, and oppose any measure that would help the people victimized by the Talibans (because ew, refugees); or they simultaneously praise Trump for quick vaccine while attacking anyone who suggests they actually take it.

It's like they don't know anymore how not to be fucking contrarians.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:50 pm 

To quote the Chapo guys, "I wish I loved anything as much as conservative talk radio hosts love dying of Covid."

Dick Farrell and Phil Valentine so far. Who's next?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:00 am 

The truly sad thing is that all of this could be avoided if humans could just fucking be nice to each other.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:10 am 

The "war" in Afghanistan ended in the most fitting way possible: by blowing up 7 kids to kill, allegedly, one terrorist. This is America, folks. What's worth noting is that only when ending this fake war and dismantling the money laundering front called "the Afghan government" does the news of America's utterly despicable mass murder spree travel the international press junket. We've killed tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of children across the world in these defense contractor cash cow projects, but only when one president has the implacable courage to end this bullshit do people suddenly start to care.

My single greatest hope is that Joe Biden will be able to maintain the courage for ending all of these murder campaigns, but I'm not holding my breath after the absolute thrashing the supposedly "liberal media" gave his efforts. Still, he was able to do something no other president could and must be lauded for it. He's secured my vote for a second term if he decides to run.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:57 pm 

As of this morning, Roe v. Wade protections no longer exist in the state of Texas.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... t-n1278206

thisisfine.gif

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:28 pm 

Seems like the Court is teeing up to overturn Roe before the end of the year. I thought they would just chip away at it, but their bald-faced rejection of the Texas case indicates otherwise.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:29 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
As of this morning, Roe v. Wade protections no longer exist in the state of Texas.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... t-n1278206

thisisfine.gif

No surprise. They want to get something to the supreme court so the conservative majority can throw Roe v. Wade out.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/sep/01/texas-abortion-law-afghanistan-latest-news-joe-biden-coronavirus

Quote:
The law offers no exceptions for rape or incest.

Men make decision about women and their body. Utterly sickening.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by oneyoudontknow on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:34 pm 

It's so batshit crazy to me that people really care about abortion with everything else going on. But on the other hand not surprising either, I guess. Deep misguided religious convictions. Politicians using it cynically to bait voters and angle to keep power. It's all monstrous. All on the backs of the poor and underserved.

These fucking ghouls also do nothing to make the world any better for these kids women will be forced to have - no action on the climate, nothing on guns, etc.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:03 pm 

For Evangelicals, abortion isn't the biggest issue; it's the only issue. It's literally all they care about, and they don't even know why. And that's understandable, because most evangelicals didn't give a shit about abortion until the GOP saw a massive voting population at their fingertips and started dogwhistling to them about baby murder.

And how did the GOP first get in bed with the fundies? Enter segregation and Jerry Falwell Sr.

Part of the reason they're hammering so hard on abortion is to distract from what really kicked off their relationship.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:02 pm 

Meanwhile, two school districts in Florida that are taking the most BASIC Covid precautions (masks) are literally being de-funded. America IS the shithole country Trump was talking about, he just didn't know it.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:54 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
For Evangelicals, abortion isn't the biggest issue; it's the only issue. It's literally all they care about, and they don't even know why. And that's understandable, because most evangelicals didn't give a shit about abortion until the GOP saw a massive voting population at their fingertips and started dogwhistling to them about baby murder.

And how did the GOP first get in bed with the fundies? Enter segregation and Jerry Falwell Sr.

Part of the reason they're hammering so hard on abortion is to distract from what really kicked off their relationship.

Agreed. But it also goes a step further. They firmly believe in the great replacement theory. To them there’s not enough white Christian babies being born, so they’re going to do whatever they can to keep the white Christian demographic at the top of the heap. It’s Tucker Carlson’s theories on steroids.

However, there might be a major backlash if Roe gets overturned. There are a lot of women, even some moderate Karens that will come out and vote in droves for the midterms to eradicate Republicans who hold office for overturning. It would make the women’s march seem like a day in the park.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:33 am 

So, what do Republicans propose instead of abortion? Generous parental (maternity AND paternity) leaves? Programs to support teenage women who have to stop school because of their pregnancy? Making sure delivery isn't cost prohibitive and women can stay at the hospital for free after delivery? Supporting adoption programs? Passing laws to support young mothers at work? Programs that help struggling parents, including single mothers (and single fathers too!)? Promoting science-backed sex ed? Supporting parental planning programs? Helping access to affordable contraception?

What do you mean, not only do they don't do that, but they are actually in opposition to some of these?

Republicans are crazy. "Don't do the sex" isn't and will never be a solution, because people will always do the sex. That's human nature.

(Note: and I'm not even saying that abortion should be banned if they did all of these measures - just pointing out how they don't actually care about babies and even less about women. There's a quote about the unborn being the perfect demographic for politicians to abuse since they don't even have their say and once they're born, well, they're not unborn anymore so you can in good conscience stop caring.)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:55 am 

There's never an alternative.

There's never a progressive solution to these problems.

It always feels to me like they're bitter that they had to stick with the spawn, so now they're gonna make sure everyone else has to.

Keep the kid and suffer. "Pick yourself up by your bootstraps". "Shouldn't have had the kid".

There's never been any compassion for these women once they have the kid. There's only anger for not shouldering the burden.

Ricky Gervais had a good line in one of his stand up specials about Pro Life people caring so much until the child grows up to be gay.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:59 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
It always feels to me like they're bitter that they had to stick with the spawn, so now they're gonna make sure everyone else has to.

Reminds me of when I used to work on polls. When abortion came up, the most common personal response we'd get for why people - especially women - were so adamantly against it is the exact opposite of what you just said: it's that they themselves couldn't have kids (for whatever reason) and felt that when (other) women had abortions they were, in essence, mocking their infertility or involuntary celibacy... which itself feeds into their notion/belief that people who get abortions are dirty, loose women. A belief they justify through their views on religion.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:03 pm 

Derigin wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Reminds me of when I used to work on polls. When abortion came up, the most common personal response we'd get for why people - especially women - were so adamantly against it is the exact opposite of what you just said: it's that they themselves couldn't have kids (for whatever reason) and felt that when (other) women had abortions they were, in essence, mocking their infertility or involuntary celibacy... which itself feeds into their notion/belief that people who get abortions are dirty, loose women. A belief they justify through their views on religion.

Holy shit that's pathetic :\

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:50 pm 

Two of our local restaurants have closed due to a lack of staff, and of course everyone's reactionry response is "nObOdY wAnTs To WoRk AnYmOrE!!!"

Of course nobody wants to work anymore, we're in the middle of a fucking GLOBAL HEALTH CRISIS! Nobody's gonna work a shit ass minimum wage job so they can get harassed by a bunch of Karens while running the risk of contracting a potentially deadly virus. They show no interest in better pay, benefits, or safer working conditions for these workers. Their answer to the staffing shortage is of course to just force them back to work by cutting unemployment benefits. I'm honestly embarrassed to live around here at this point.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:57 am 

Texas anti abortion groups have even set whistleblowing hotlines now.

It would be a shame* if people just flooded them with fake reports and memes.... :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... stleblower

Spoiler: show
not

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 am 

Don' meme them. If the people who set the site up are at least semi-competent (they're probably not, but don't assume), they will have filters for Dickus McBingus and Greg Abott and Deez Nutts. Put real addresses, real-sounding names, and make up real stories so it's harder to filter spam. Sadly they blocked Canada, so I can't do it.

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:04 pm 

Derigin wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

That's not surprising...women who can't have children are usually devastated by it, whether they have fertility issues or simply waited too long.

I would've thought the most common response would be something like "I became a parent." It's easy to assume that someone who's against abortion is a Christian or 'anti-women's rights' or something stupid, but, believe it or not, having children changes your views on things.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 pm 

It shouldn't. It's none of your business whatsoever. That arguement falls apart anyway, because if you actually cared about children, you'd want them to be born in the best possible circumstances, to a family that can financially support them and with the lowest chance of fetal alcohol syndrome.

The only moral way to oppose abortion is to push for free healthcare and universal childcare. Abortion is a stabilizer for economic precarity; pushing to take that away, especially without ANYTHING to replace it, is barbaric.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:26 pm 

Yeah there are so many circumstances in the world that it makes literally no sense to care about if or why someone else got an abortion. Leave it alone. All you're doing is feeding into corporate, insidious narratives for these craven governors to run for some higher office someday.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:56 pm 

Well, at least the people and party pushing for it support safe, effective and subsidized birth control... oh wait.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:20 pm 

Got to control the women. Age old machinery.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:25 am 

This pretty much hits the nail on the head with these pro-life hypocrites

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:01 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Got to control the women. Age old machinery.

Keep the women "in their place" and the poor poor. The rich hypocrites will be able to afford flying out of state for an abortion, or travel to one of the few clinics. The poor will be criminalized, or will have to remain poor by having to deal with unforeseen circumstances. So really, for Republicans, it's win-win-win, holy trifecta of misogyny, keeping the poor poor and keeping their Christian sheep in tow.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:58 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

This pretty much hits the nail on the head with these pro-life hypocrites

:lol: This is why I love George Carlin. He's able to point out the hypocrisy of the pro-lifers while also doing it in a comedic way.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:25 pm 

EricJ wrote:
It's easy to assume that someone who's against abortion is a Christian or 'anti-women's rights'

I mean

They definitely are anti-women's rights. This is a fact.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 am 

"I had a child so now I'm entitled to support forcing you to carry the fetus to term and forcing you to be a mother and forcing you to provide adequate care of the child you didn't want to have under threat of incarceration. It's because I care so much for children you see, but on an unrelated note if your fetal alcohol syndrome afflicted, thieving, Goodwill clothes wearing little shit comes within spitting distance of my little angel I'll be notifying CPS."

I'll go further than Carlin: opposition to bodily autonomy proves definitively that you have nothing but contempt for children, at any stage. You think the fetus is having a blast while the mother is OD'ing on painkillers to try to forget that the parasite in her womb is a product of her "mistake" of being raped so she can get through her 14 hour shift? And yes, if the Texas law becomes a blueprint, that scenario could happen in half the country.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:25 am 

Yeah I mean if these pro-life people wanted to really improve things they'd leave abortion alone and just get free childcare, paid parental leave at work, etc on the table.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah I mean if these pro-life people wanted to really improve things they'd leave abortion alone and just get free childcare, paid parental leave at work, etc on the table.

Anti-abortion policies are simply mechanisms for upholding class divisions and poverty - as well as keeping class divisions and ethnicity divisions aligned. That is too complex to see for the uneducated grassroots supporters of those policies, which works to the advantage of propagating those policies, because if the supporters are not literate enough to even grasp the best counterarguments for their opinions, they are able to keep their obtuse echo chambers undisturbed. Most of the anti-abortion people clearly do not benefit from those policies, but there are certainly powerful, wealthy people, who believe that it's in their interests to maintain and exacerbate those divisions that anti-womens rights laws cause.

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
EricJ wrote:
It's easy to assume that someone who's against abortion is a Christian or 'anti-women's rights'

I mean

They definitely are anti-women's rights. This is a fact.

Lol, that's an opinion. I suggest you google the difference.

Last edited by hakarl on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was banned for repeated trolling

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:40 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Anti-abortion policies are simply mechanisms for upholding class divisions and poverty - as well as keeping class divisions and ethnicity divisions aligned. That is too complex to see for the uneducated grassroots supporters of those policies, which works to the advantage of propagating those policies, because if the supporters are not literate enough to even grasp the best counterarguments for their opinions, they are able to keep their obtuse echo chambers undisturbed. Most of the anti-abortion people clearly do not benefit from those policies, but there are certainly powerful, wealthy people, who believe that it's in their interests to maintain and exacerbate those divisions that anti-womens rights laws cause.

There was a report recently on critical race theory that said the Koch Bros had funded this huge messaging campaign here in the States, as a way to push the kind of education agenda they want:

Quote:
The CRT fight helps all three. Republicans get a manufactured controversy that motivates their base to keep them in power, and they get the financial support of the Kochs and their corporate friends. The Kochs and other radical capitalists get a false panic around the state of public education, which helps their ongoing campaign to privatize schools, and they gain allies who will push the economic agenda that keeps them at the top. The overwhelmingly white Republican base is rewarded with a story that is easier for them to accept than the true one—a story where they are both the heroes of American history and the true victims of the American present, oppressed by “political correctness.”

As my organization wrote in our expansive report, “Advancing White Supremacy,” the Koch network has purposefully exploited this relationship for years. The network has long-standing ties to white nationalist scholars and has used their research to drive policies that serve its economic goals at the expense of people of color, including efforts to resegregate our nation’s schools, dismantle voting rights, and expand the prison-industrial complex.

You can see this play out in how the Koch think tanks we studied propose “solving” the CRT problems. They propose solutions like deregulating teacher licensing and relaxing restrictions on which public schools parents can send their kids to, both long-standing goals of the organization. This dramatic mismatch between supposedly existential stakes on the one hand and technocratic fixes on the other exposes their true intentions. They are inciting outrages against racial justice, and then using that outrage as a Trojan horse for entrenching radical free market ideology in every institution possible.

https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... -backlash/

No doubt there is something like this going on with the abortion shit too. Seems darkeningday posted a link above with a similar idea.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:13 pm 

These Koch bros... I do not like them. Psychopaths with too much money.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I really don't think that's accurate at all. Occam's Razor suggests that abortion just became a unifying issue for Christian leaders and the Republican party platform (which itself replaced segregation when it became politically unfeasible), and it now makes up too much of the base to be disentangled. Churches and Christian organizations will lose their tax breaks if they advocate for a political party, so they simply tell their constituents "vote for the party that isn't like King Herod" and off they go to the polls, knowing full well which party their Supreme Leader told them to support. It's really that simple.

For the wealthy conservative elites though, there's a major factor you're overlooking imo: more poor babies = more poor voters and more minority children = less white majority. Both of those are anathema to the American elites as long as we live in a pseudo-democratic nation, and they know it. Which is one of the reasons they've steered their base--most of whom are resolutely anti-abortion--towards dismantling democracy.

Once we've arrived at a nation where only certain people are allowed to vote though, then yes, restricting abortion would be a useful method to maintain a large, immiserated and compliant workforce.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:02 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I really don't think that's accurate at all. Occam's Razor suggests that abortion just became a unifying issue for Christian leaders and the Republican party platform (which itself replaced segregation when it became politically unfeasible), and it now makes up too much of the base to be disentangled. Churches and Christian organizations will lose their tax breaks if they advocate for a political party, so they simply tell their constituents "vote for the party that isn't like King Herod" and off they go to the polls, knowing full well which party their Supreme Leader told them to support. It's really that simple.

For the wealthy conservative elites though, there's a major factor you're overlooking imo: more poor babies = more poor voters and more minority children = less white majority. Both of those are anathema to the American elites as long as we live in a pseudo-democratic nation, and they know it. Which is one of the reasons they've steered their base--most of whom are resolutely anti-abortion--towards dismantling democracy.

Once we've arrived at a nation where only certain people are allowed to vote though, then yes, restricting abortion would be a useful method to maintain a large, immiserated and compliant workforce.

I wasn't overlooking it as much as I just wasn't going into detail as to why I thought they're doing it. As for your last point - you're not at that point yet, but voting rights are actively being eroded in some states, and you already have a significant population of completely disenfranchised people.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:22 am 

Newsom won in a landslide and it's very funny and good. Don't like the guy at all but this recall was a sham and a total shitshow. Pleased with the results.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 69  Next