Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm 

InnesI wrote:
Yeah, someone called it funeral pop in a magazine and I adopted it. Sometimes funeral folk seems more appropriate though. I got into it through Anna von Hausswolff, Chelsea Wolffe and Lana Del Rey (though she probably isn't really part of the same movement). I've also had Susanne Sundfør on my list of to-listen-to for years now but never got around to it. Will do now all the while listening to all these other recommendations. I already tried Bat For Lashes and I love it!

"Funeral pop" isn't a bad term either, and better fits some of the ones who incorporate more electronic instrumentation or have more commercial sides at times, including Bat For Lashes and Hausswolff. It also brings in other artists like Zola Jesus or Grimes to an extent. I like the alliteration of "funeral folk", and it makes sense for the artists that focus more on acoustic or at least clean instruments.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:46 am 

Oh, man. One listen in and I love the new Eric Church album.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:46 am 

Oublieths - Mornelance is some great Dungeon Synth that came out in 2021. Their label has put the entire thing online for you listen to for free. If you enjoy Dungeon Synth, this is very good.

https://youtu.be/M7pOFF8TbXU

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:52 am 

The new Vintage Caravan!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:37 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Oh, man. One listen in and I love the new Eric Church album.

And now, he has released a companion piece to it. I'm not as into it after one listen, but between the two, there is an absolute classic here.

Metalisepic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 pm 

Echoes and Signals's Mercurial is a fantastic heavy prog album. The music reminds me of bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Villagers of Ioannina City and even a bit of Cult of Luna in the first track.

https://echoesandsignals.bandcamp.com/

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:36 am 

Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert & Jon Randall - The Marfa Tapes
I'm a big fan of Miranda Lambert, so I expected to like this, but this exceeded my expectations. I'd say it's the first top tier album I've heard this year. It's a sparse, stripped down country / acoustic record. The idea was to capture the spirit of the initial song writing sessions for some (maybe all) of these tracks, so they went back to where they originally wrote them - on a ranch in Marfa, Texas - and recorded them over 5 days last year. It was recorded outside, so you hear things like grass crunching underfoot, cows mooing in the background, the wind blowing by, and even a helicopter hovering overhead on one song. It's got a warts and all sort of approach, as there was apparently very little work done to fix anything up. This gives it a live, authentic feel that works well, but the main reason I find I enjoy it so much is simply that the songs are really good.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm 

The new Mighty Mighty Bosstones is just...really good.

If you know this band, then you know what they do, and they do it better than anyone else.
Obliteration

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:09 am 

Really love the new Manchester Orchestra album, "The Million Masks Of God" . A great indie rock record that has some emo brushes and really slick production. My favourite tracks are: Inaudible, Angel Of Death*, Bed Head, Telepath

Also think "Heaven's Just A Flight" by Caroline Kingsbury is quite good. Maybe a couple songs too long. Anyone looking for an 80's throw-back of electro-pop, this is for you. I heard huge Cyndi Lauper influence here. Favourite songs are "Breaking Apart", "16" and "Fall In Love".

*not a Slayer cover.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:54 am 

Here's to hoping the new Vildhjarta actually gets released this year. Two songs dropped, one in late 2019 and now this one (talk about a slow release). They say this new album will be out by the end of the year, but after how long it's been no one should be hopeful :lol: . At any rate, this new song they dropped in April is awesome.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert & Jon Randall - The Marfa Tapes
I'm a big fan of Miranda Lambert, so I expected to like this, but this exceeded my expectations. I'd say it's the first top tier album I've heard this year. It's a sparse, stripped down country / acoustic record. The idea was to capture the spirit of the initial song writing sessions for some (maybe all) of these tracks, so they went back to where they originally wrote them - on a ranch in Marfa, Texas - and recorded them over 5 days last year. It was recorded outside, so you hear things like grass crunching underfoot, cows mooing in the background, the wind blowing by, and even a helicopter hovering overhead on one song. It's got a warts and all sort of approach, as there was apparently very little work done to fix anything up. This gives it a live, authentic feel that works well, but the main reason I find I enjoy it so much is simply that the songs are really good.

seconded - it's one of the best albums i've heard all year

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:22 pm 

An album completely unexpectedly rapidly working its way up to near the top of my list is Bruit's The Machine Is Burning..., with beautiful classical-influenced and electronic-garnished melancholic post-rock. Definitely worth checking out if you're into Godspeed You! Black Emperor and such.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 pm 

Yeah I like that quite a bit :)

Metalisepic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 am 

Great fusion/prog album with groove elements and influences from oriental music. https://bendthefuture.bandcamp.com/album/without-notice

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
An album completely unexpectedly rapidly working its way up to near the top of my list is Bruit's The Machine Is Burning..., with beautiful classical-influenced and electronic-garnished melancholic post-rock. Definitely worth checking out if you're into Godspeed You! Black Emperor and such.

Wonderful, thanks for sharing. The first track of the album is really amazing. And cool to see they're from my hometown.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:04 pm 

Is the new Weezer album worth it? I haven't really kept up with their newer material due to how inconsistent it is in terms of quality.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm 

Now my copy turned up, and is currently living on my turntable, I can safely say 'Silver Synthetic' is one of my albums of the year - great warm 70s sunny-day-by-the-sea kind of music. There's a touch of Led Zep here and there in the tone that just make it so perfectly comfortable. Thanks to Empyreal for that one.

https://silversynthetic.bandcamp.com/

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:57 pm 

An album I discovered awhile ago and keeps really growing on me is Azmari's Samai, which is essentially Turkish jazz/fusion, but rather unlike most other fusion I've heard, some really creative stuff, rather trippy at times.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:48 am 

I enjoyed that one too but wouldn't say that its that Turkish.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:43 am 

I've heard some Turkish music, but I can't claim expertise in it, I'm just relying on various sites and the band themselves classifying their music as very Turkish influenced.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:35 pm 

If anyone here's a fan of skate punk (aka stuff like NOFX/Strung Out/Pennywise/Millencolin), this new Belvedere album "Hindsight is the Sixth Sense" absolutely rules.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I've heard some Turkish music, but I can't claim expertise in it, I'm just relying on various sites and the band themselves classifying their music as very Turkish influenced.

Theres a touch of it in there but people are kind of seeing the song titles and then make the assumption its Turkish influenced based on that. I've prob heard more Turkish music than anyone here and tbh its not that much more than a pinch. Def would like to see more stuff influenced by Turkish music though.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:33 pm 

Well, they say that a lot of the inspiration for the record is from them doing a couple weeks of shows in Istanbul, studying Turkish scales, and also incorporating instruments like ney and baglama on the album. Their sound is a fusion of many things, so I wouldn't expect it to sound strictly like traditional Turkish music, just to add elements of it.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:59 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
If anyone here's a fan of skate punk (aka stuff like NOFX/Strung Out/Pennywise/Millencolin), this new Belvedere album "Hindsight is the Sixth Sense" absolutely rules.

Got this on now and it's really good. Thanks for linking it. Can never get enough of this sort of style.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:09 am 

The new Black Midi album sounds cool.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:22 am 

Jess and the Ancient Ones' Vertigo is really good psychedelic rock. Been meaning to check them out for awhile now, and it didn't disappoint at all.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:01 am 

I've barely heard anything from 2021, but I particularly like Psychodrama - Orocline (solo electronic/industrial). I've always liked this sort of stuff that's at the more abrasive/outsider end of electronic music. He also released an EP under the Psychodrama moniker a few weeks beforehand, perhaps to clear out the cobwebs on a few tracks that almost made the cut for the album.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:45 pm 

The new Perturbator album is all darkwaved up and I'm digging it real hard.

https://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/ ... sacraments

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:50 am 

The new Suffocate For Fuck Sake is my front runner for AOTY. This is an emotionally devastating album which resonates deep and hits hard. Absolutely mind blowing.

I also really enjoyed the new St. Vincent, as I expected I would, but need a few more spins for it to really sink in. This one is way less immediate than her previous three.
Obliteration

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:14 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
The new Perturbator album is all darkwaved up and I'm digging it real hard.

https://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/ ... sacraments

Yeah, I've been pretty stoked for this one. Definitely a different sort of album for him, I wasn't expecting so much of the post-punk and gothic rock elements, but I'm all for them. It'll certainly be a top 10 contender, though I need a few more plays to really absorb it, and I still probably prefer the more overtly dark-synth vibes of prior albums. I particularly like some of his past vocal tracks with Hayley Stewart, Greta Link, and Isabella Goloversic, but I suppose he was aiming for different flavors here. "The Other Place" and "Messalina, Messalina" are the standout tracks so far.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Fri May 28, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:58 pm 

Black Midi - Cavalcade is already out and it's the best album of the year so far. Think King Crimson goes math rock or something like that.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am 

The new Youth Novel album is great. Screamo/emoviolence for fans of Orchid, Pg. 99, Funeral Diner, Tristan Tzara, Ampere...

https://zegemabeachrecords.bandcamp.com ... outh-novel

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:33 pm 

Really been digging the new Haerts album Dream Nation. Their sound is a little tricky to pin down, but it's somewhere in the dream pop/synthpop/indie rock nexus, though this album seems a bit less electronic and a tad more neo-soul-influenced. The keyboards on this track remind me of Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry", which for the longest time I thought was a synthesizer but eventually found out was a Farsifa organ with some processing, and I suspect they're doing something similar here for that ethereal, spacey vibe.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:12 pm 

This Gruff Rhys album is some nice indie rock... eclectic and mellow and there's a nice sense of earthy musicality to it.

Interesting that all these songs were inspired by a volcano.

https://gruffrhys.bandcamp.com/album/seeking-new-gods

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:25 pm 

This year keeps getting better and better. Way too early to tell if it'll top last year, but I'm gradually fretting less than I was a few months ago, though actually my non-metal list is stronger than my metal one, which is its own interesting problem.

Anyway, Daniel Tompkins (TesseracT) has become quite prolific of late, and I can't stop listening to the latest White Moth Black Butterfly, The Cost of Dreaming, which is kind of an ambient electro/art pop project with some other collaborators.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm 

https://mdoumoctar.bandcamp.com/album/afrique-victime

Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victime

Saharan guitar rock that sounds like a very cool twist on the American bands of the 70s and early 80s. Just fluid melodies forever. Reminds me of Van Halen, Satriani, Johnny Winter, that kinda stuff - but different, with this native folk twist for this guy's homeland. Fascinating. And good for the summer.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:00 am 

my first impression is that its a bit of a step down compared with his previous album but its a cool one still.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:54 am 

This was the first I heard of his. Planning to check out his previous one and some other stuff though, yeah.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:10 am 

"Nowhere Generation" by Rise Against is... good.
Not as good as their first four albums, but... well, this is the first time I've liked a Rise Against album *since* those first four albums. They've dialed up the speed a bit compared to the last few and it's much appreciated. Definitely sounds closer to the skate punk of old than the more hard rock-oriented stuff they've been doing since the late aughts, even if it's still not quite as aggressive as... say, "Revolutions Per Minute", "The Unraveling" or "Siren Songs of the Counter-Culture". Don't get me wrong, the hard rock is still there (see: "Sudden Urge", the title track and "Sooner or Later") but the punk stuff outweighs it. Is their long string of disappointments (starting with "Appeal to Reason" for me...) finally over or is this a fluke? Who knows, honestly? Oh, and Tim McIlrath's voice sounds like it's in better shape than on their utterly disastrous "Wolves" album, so that helps too.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:28 am 

Speaking of catchy punk music, the new album "Waste My Heart" by The Raging Nathans is pretty fun.

An Ferbasach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:00 pm 

I'm enjoying the new Dead Daisies album, Holy Ground. Catchy melodic hard rock with Glenn Hughes on vocals.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next