Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:27 pm 

That new Turnstile album is a banger alright.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:09 pm 

https://jescahoop.bandcamp.com/album/the-deconstruction-of-jacks-house

I had attended the live performance of this release at Bandcamp and it was stunning. So is this release of them. It is not a recording of the live performance, but the tracks were played there as well, but in a different order.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:58 am 

The new Angels & Airwaves is top notch as expected. I felt like they put out most of the album beforehand, so I swerved most of the pre-release stuff to keep it as fresh as possible. Really good stuff.

Also stumbled upon the new Miss Li album, having not listened to her in a number of years. Really catchy pop album.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 am 

christone "kingfish" ingram - 662 came out in july, and it's some magnificent rockin' blues

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:08 pm 

The new James Blake album Friends That Break Your Heart is as expected, decent. I really like it so far. I've always appreciated his immense balladry and his interesting turn as electronic singer-songwriter.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:57 pm 

Got a few I haven't posted:

$uicideboy$- Long Term Effects of SUFFERING
I don't what it is, but these guys have become my favorite hip hop group, probably ever. I think Ruby is a massively underrated rapper, tasteful flow and great lyricist. The beats on all their albums are just absolutely well done. There's nothing like them out right now, the rest of the genre is just playing a different game. Last years mixtape was my AOTY because the vibe just fit perfectly into the covid quarantine environment that we were all in. This album continues that trend, and while I don't feel like I'm in the same place I was a year ago (as all of us shouldn't, to a degree), the music still speaks to me. Great album.
Spoiler: show

JCole- The Off-Season
Great artist releasing another great album. The beats are great for the summer season, just came off of listening to this album on repeat. Great lyricist, great choice in beats. Not much to say, absolute fire.

Slaughter to Prevail- Kostolom
Just a fun slamming deathcore album. Alex Terrible is unequivocally one of the best screamers out there right now too.

Spiritbox- Eternal Blue
Now this album, I didn't expect to like as much as I did. I had heard some of the earlier singles released by these guys and just wasn't nearly as impressed as a lot of people seemed to be. Just felt like a watered down pop version of djent and thall bands. However, with this release it feels like their style sort of comes together and just works. Courtney LaPlante has an absolutely beautiful voice and really does bring something refreshing to this style of heavy music. At times, almost feels like Evanescence got a modern upgrade.

Knocked Loose -A Tear In The Fabric of Life
These guys just came out with an unrelenting force of unadulterated heat. A 21 minute EP that goes to an animated film created for the music. I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of their second full length, so I didn't come in expecting much. I loved Pop Culture and Laugh Tracks though, so I still held out to see if I enjoyed it as much. It's without a doubt the best thing they've ever put out. It's proggy in places, absolutely top of the line production by the one and only Will Putney, and flows perfectly all the way through. Highly recommend.

There might be some others too lol. Still haven't listened to the new Vildhjarta album even though they did the premier on that today. Probably will give an opinion on this thread sometime later.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 am 

That Spiritbox album rules, so does the new Knocked Loose EP. Hell, the Knocked Loose EP might be the most intense thing that band has ever done, and at times made me uncomfortable (in a good way)... really fucking good stuff.

In other metalcore news, the new Ice Nine Kills album "Welcome to Horrorwood: The Silver Scream 2" is a hell of a lot of fun. Sometimes all you need is big dumb songs about campy horror movies, y'all.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:09 pm 

I kept hearing Spiritbox brought up and finally gave in. I was serendipitously surprised. I was thinking I'd have the same issue with them that I do with Jinjer, where most others seem to dig them far more than I do. Spiritbox is a lot more melodic than I expected, with really fantastic cleans and vocal hooks. Still very heavy, with quite a lush and atmospheric production in quieter moments. They're somewhere in-between two other loosely similar bands I like, Red Handed Denial and Sordid Pink/Destiny Potato.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:02 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9a2PKVgYY

New Jack White song is pretty good. Not anything new for him really, but I always love his guitar tone and these great big fat riffs he does. Hope he's got a new album soon, it's been almost 4 years now.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:58 am 

A super under the radar soulful rock group Atlas Gray recently released their second album, Through the Dark. I saw them live opening for another act awhile ago and was quite impressed with their sound. It's another really solid release from them with new material and a couple reworked older tunes.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:31 am 

Pretty sure Every Time I Die wouldn't count as metal around here, they're more hardcore/metalcore. Their new album Radical dropped a little while ago, and it's amazing. Might even say it tops Low Teens.

Looks like Spiritbox and Knocked Loose have already been mentioned, I loved both of those. I hadn't gotten into Spiritbox yet because I wanted to wait until they released Eternal Blue, and it ended up being the best metalcore album I've ever heard. As for Knocked Loose, I've been listening to the guys for a while, and they're BY FAR my favorite hardcore band. The new EP was pretty good, but I'd say their other stuff is a little better. I did love the animated film though, dark and creepy in the best ways.

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:55 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Pretty sure Every Time I Die wouldn't count as metal around here, they're more hardcore/metalcore. Their new album Radical dropped a little while ago, and it's amazing. Might even say it tops Low Teens.

I haven't decided yet if it's better than Low Teens, but I agree that it's quite excellent.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:38 am 

Marissa Nadler's The Path of the Clouds is as great as I hoped it would be. This sort of song is what I think I want from Lana Del Rey, but don't get.

And what a time to be alive. Emma Ruth Rundle collaborated with Chelsea Wolfe for a tune earlier this year, and now she collaborates with Marissa for this one.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 am 

I am going to lose my mind over this new Marissa Nadler album. I've been a simp for her for a decade now.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:23 am 

New Tori Amos hits hard. “29 Years” is incredible.
Obliteration

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:28 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I am going to lose my mind over this new Marissa Nadler album. I've been a simp for her for a decade now.

Yeah, it's a little newer to me. I'd heard Chelsea Wolfe's name for a number of years prior and she just didn't get into my cue until around four years ago, but when I finally had the muse for discovery, she blew me away. Then I slowly started realizing that she's not just a singular entity, there's this whole network of "funeral folk" artists, and it's become one of my favorite music scenes. Marissa and Emma were the next two I branched out into. What's interesting is that Emma used to have a wetter sound with more voluminous reverb and such, and Marissa was a little more straight-ahead with a fingerpicking-driven style. But now based on some songs on this album and the singles for ERR's, they might be switching places. This album is going to get a lot of play in the upcoming weeks, but I should also highlight the opener "Bessie, Did You Make It?", which is a killer selection right out of the gate, and probably tied for my favorite from the album with the first tune I posted.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:38 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:

Yeah, that was the early stand out for me. There's a lot of great stuff on there though.

Henkka (ex Children of Bodom) has a new band called Moon Shot, whose debut came out a week or two ago. I'm liking it quite a bit - catchy rock with some poppy moments and some heavier moments too.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:25 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

Yeah, that was the early stand out for me. There's a lot of great stuff on there though.

That was indeed a thoroughly enjoyable album. "Devil's Bane" was also a salient track. Maybe it'll finally get me to start paying more consistent attention to her oeuvre.

jimbies wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
https://sturgillsimpson.bandcamp.com/album/the-ballad-of-dood-juanita

New Sturgill Simpson album is as stripped down and basic as this style gets but it works. His voice sounds incredible. I gotta track down the lyrics next time I listen.

It's an incredible album. The song "Sam" puts a tear in my eye every time.

I was pretty lukewarm about the earlier Sturgill albums I heard, but this one did it for me much more so. I'm more into bluegrass, so it was more up my alley. It gave me some O Brother, Where Art Though? flashbacks.

And on a different flavor of that topic, Bela Fleck's My Bluegrass Heart is another remarkable bluegrass album this year. Mostly instrumental, with an all-star cast of guests like Chris Thile, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, David Grisman, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, Bryan Sutton, Sierra Hull, Molly Tuttle, Tony Trischka, and others.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:33 am 

Okay, yeah, the Marissa Nadler album might be my favourite of her discography. I've listened to it 4.5 times already. Bessie, Did You Make It is fucking fascinating. This is probably going to dethrone "July" as my favourite of her albums.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:12 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Okay, yeah, the Marissa Nadler album might be my favourite of her discography. I've listened to it 4.5 times already. Bessie, Did You Make It is fucking fascinating. This is probably going to dethrone "July" as my favourite of her albums.

Yeah, Marissa is great. Saw her at a fest with a ton of metal bands playing and she was pretty sweet and a bit nervous because of it. One of the best shows I've ever been to. I still like July better, mostly because Drive and Desire are unsurpassable.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:30 pm 

Those are fantastic as well, but "1923" is one of my favorite songs ever.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:01 am 

Janie In Love might actually be my favourite of her songs.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:35 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That was indeed a thoroughly enjoyable album. "Devil's Bane" was also a salient track. Maybe it'll finally get me to start paying more consistent attention to her oeuvre.

Not sure how familiar you are with her catalogue, but I'd probably rank this new album as mid tier. Good stuff, but her earlier material set an incredibly high benchmark. And if / when you do dig in to her discography, make sure you listen to the B-sides too, as some of her best songs are non album tracks.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:57 am 

jimbies wrote:
Janie In Love might actually be my favourite of her songs.

That's a nice one too. My second favorite might be "Mayflower May". She just has so many great ones.

lordcatfish wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Not sure how familiar you are with her catalogue, but I'd probably rank this new album as mid tier. Good stuff, but her earlier material set an incredibly high benchmark. And if / when you do dig in to her discography, make sure you listen to the B-sides too, as some of her best songs are non album tracks.

I'm not. I have the first three on CD, and I've also heard a few others, but she's just one of those artists I listen to once every few years and think, "hey, that's pretty cool, I should listen to something else of her's again soon", and then I just don't. I listened to Little Earthquakes again last year, so this album and that one were my last two experiences with her, so I guess that kind of bookends it. I have friends who are really into her music, I've seen a few interviews with her, and some of my other favorite singers have been inspired by or compared to her, so I'm not sure why she hasn't taken off for me yet. This is my favorite thing of her's I've heard so far though. What are a few essential B-sides? And I should say that in general I'm probably going to be drawn towards more melancholic ones with more intricate piano work.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:15 am 

I'd say her best B-sides are the below, but there's a lot to pick from, so can't say for sure you'd agree. A lot of the non album tracks are available on the deluxe editions of her first three albums, or on the A Piano collection (all of which are on Spotify and the like).

Flying Dutchman (I think this is one her absolute best songs)
Sugar (try both studio and a live version with the band - there's a great soundcheck rendition on the live disc of To Venus and Back or A Piano)
Honey
Cooling
Never Seen Blue
Beulah Land
Siren
Mountain
Indian Summer
Snow Cherries from France

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:01 pm 

A couple of great darkwave/synth-pop albums this year:

Kælan Mikla - Undir köldum norðurljósum
Suzi Sabotage - Postmodern Dystopia

Also:

Last edited by CreepingDeath16 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:22 pm 

I want to mention an album that I keep returning to this year, but keep forgetting to post about, but should do so while it's fresh on my mind after another listen to it last night. It is Murcof's The Alias Sessions, and it's a stellar dark ambient album, very spacey, but a bit livelier than many ambient albums, and it kind of builds up over the hour and a half length, with the best material being the last half dozen tracks or so.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:41 pm 

that new Jpegmafia album was really good.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:13 pm 

Emma Ruth Rundle's Engines of Hell is even more of a slow-burner than I expected, but I already quite like it and know it's going to continue growing on me.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:42 pm 

Wheel's Resident Human is a killer album for people who like bands like Tool and Soen.

Also, I'm afraid to listen to the whole album again yet, but "Nectar of the Gods" from Lana Del Rey's latest hit me like a ton of bricks a week ago, so that's definitely a worthwhile song.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:42 am 

I implore anyone who ever REMOTELY likes Bruce Springsteen to watch the No Nukes concert film that was released yesterday. I've seen Bruce live 25 times, and watched every live film he's ever released. NOTHING comes close to this. This was the closest thing to match to the feeling of actually being there. This is the pinnacle of a band firing on all cylinders.

I don't know about sitting and listening to the recording on spotify/CD/Vinyl, because such a huge part of this for me was how great the footage looks, and the explosive energy in the performances.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:10 pm 

Here's my second favorite dark ambient album of the year at this point, the atmosphere feels so cinematic.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:29 am 

The new Robert Plant & Alison Krauss album Raise the Roof is out today, and it is really good (which isn't surprising). Will see how it fares over time but for now I'd say it's probably in the same league as Raising Sand.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:36 am 

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:12 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
I'd say her best B-sides are the below, but there's a lot to pick from, so can't say for sure you'd agree. A lot of the non album tracks are available on the deluxe editions of her first three albums, or on the A Piano collection (all of which are on Spotify and the like).

Flying Dutchman (I think this is one her absolute best songs)
Sugar (try both studio and a live version with the band - there's a great soundcheck rendition on the live disc of To Venus and Back or A Piano)
Honey
Cooling
Never Seen Blue
Beulah Land
Siren
Mountain
Indian Summer
Snow Cherries from France

Plus "Garlands", the bonus track from the "Beekeeper" DVD. It's not only a brilliant rarity but my favourite Amos track ever. Eight and a half minutes of epic subtlety.

The new album: The last two didn't do much for me, and this idleness continues... "Do something for me!" – "Nope."

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss – "Raise the Roof": For the last 20 years, Plant's voice has been old enough to be unable to age any further. Like from an age-old wine salvaged from the belly of a sunken pirate ship, every sip tastes the same (and like fine vinegar). "Raise the Roof" isn't quite as dark and dangerous as "Raising Sand" but more compelling than his last couple of solo albums.

The The - The Comeback Special, Live at the Royal Albert Hall: Finally, Matt Johnson comes out of hiding. The voice has aged a bit, the performances are a bit lacking in energy, the songs seem to be tuned down and refurbished for a contemporary audience but this live album is better than nothing.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:12 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Wheel's Resident Human is a killer album for people who like bands like Tool and Soen.

Also, I'm afraid to listen to the whole album again yet, but "Nectar of the Gods" from Lana Del Rey's latest hit me like a ton of bricks a week ago, so that's definitely a worthwhile song.

Blue Banisters is a grower. Some songs are more likable than others.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:04 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
The new Robert Plant & Alison Krauss album Raise the Roof is out today, and it is really good (which isn't surprising). Will see how it fares over time but for now I'd say it's probably in the same league as Raising Sand.

Coastliner wrote:
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss – "Raise the Roof": For the last 20 years, Plant's voice has been old enough to be unable to age any further. Like from an age-old wine salvaged from the belly of a sunken pirate ship, every sip tastes the same (and like fine vinegar). "Raise the Roof" isn't quite as dark and dangerous as "Raising Sand" but more compelling than his last couple of solo albums.

This is a really low-key album that I think will probably take a few listens to really sink in. I like it, and "Last Kind Words Blues" was a standout cut in particular, but I could see others growing on me if I get back to it. It also makes me want to revisit Raising Sand, which came out right before I really started digging into Alison's work, and I wasn't used to the idea of post-Zeppelin Plant, so I didn't have enough context to fully appreciate it back then.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:17 pm 

@LithoJazzoSphere - I've literally just found out that Sarah Jarosz had new music out this year because she got a Grammy nomination (although I've read it was written in 2017). Either I've somehow completely overlooked it or it got little to no mention on her social media and such. You given it a listen? I know you tend to be clued up on some of this stuff.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:45 pm 

That one was for World On the Ground, which was released on June 5th of 2020, so the first eligible Grammy for it was awarded last March. I'm not sure what you read about something written in '17, but she did also win a '17 Grammy for "House of Mercy" for Best American Roots Performance and Undercurrent for Best Folk Album, which was a '16 release. She does actually have a new one this year as well, Blue Heron Suite, although length-wise it's almost more of an extended EP than an album. I've heard all of her albums, including the ones from this year and last year. Last year's was on my extended list, and that'll probably be true for this year's as well. They're both good, but her masterpieces for me are still the first two, Song Up In Her Head and Follow Me Down.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 am 

Sorry yeah, I meant Blue Heron Suite. I saw a Facebook post saying it had been nominated for a Grammy. I somehow didn't even know it existed up until I saw that. I read around a bit and it's based on something she wrote in 2017.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next