Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:02 am 

we're nearing the last week of january and still no thread for this?

do mention a genre or description if what you're recommending is anything less popular than lady gaga

i'll start things rollin' with steve earle - j.t.. you know what to expect if you recognize the name. it's country if you don't.

Last edited by joppek on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:45 am 

I was going to start one, but I was waiting until I had at least a couple nice releases under my belt. So far, in 2021, the only non-archived album I've been able to dig is the new album "Fuck Art" by The Dirty Nil. They're a Canadian punk/alt rock band, very much for fans of Pup, Jeff Rosenstock, Off With Their Heads.

The opening track "Doom Boy" starts with some nice, cheesy metal riffs and has a hilarious lyric of,

"We could hold hands, listen to Slayer, in the back of my dodge caravan (it's my mom's dodge caravan)"

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:58 am 

I've enjoyed albums so far from Dead Astronauts, Sithu Aye, Blue Stahli, and Front Line Assembly, but I don't have strong enough opinions of them just yet to specifically recommend one. Typically I wait until something really catches my attention, which requires a more impactful first listen or an album grows on me in a second or further play.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:43 pm 

I'm listening to Nicaurs, a one-woman project making some kind of stoner/doom flavored rock, really cool and a beautiful voice

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I was going to start one, but I was waiting until I had at least a couple nice releases under my belt. So far, in 2021, the only non-archived album I've been able to dig is the new album "Fuck Art" by The Dirty Nil. They're a Canadian punk/alt rock band, very much for fans of Pup, Jeff Rosenstock, Off With Their Heads.

The opening track "Doom Boy" starts with some nice, cheesy metal riffs and has a hilarious lyric of,

"We could hold hands, listen to Slayer, in the back of my dodge caravan (it's my mom's dodge caravan)"

Yeah, the new Dirty Nil album is absolutely fantastic. Bold of them to release what's probably gonna be one of the best albums of the year on the first of January... Gonna be hard for other (non-archived) bands to follow up now.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:02 am 

Well, the first month of 2021 is complete, and I actually only heard two non-archived albums so far.

One, of course, is The Dirty Nil album "Fuck Art", which i quite enjoy. Really into the songs "Doom Boy", "Elvis, 77" and "Possession". The closer is pretty good, too.

The other one was by a band I had never heard of named Lonely The Brave, but I didn't dig it at all. Anyway, this is a huge, huge decrease for me, as I usually hear closer to 10 a month.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:45 am 

Weezer has had a very spotty at best discography since their last truly great album, Make Believe (IMO, anyways), was released in 2005. But this new album OK Human is actually a really interesting listen. Time will tell if it is a truly great album or not, but the idea of replacing guitars and bass with strings and piano is an interesting one (albeit not a new one), and well done here.

That said, this is allegedly the first of four albums Weezer is putting out this year; there’s this, the delayed Van Weezer (a harder rocking album), a mellow rock album where all songs are in the vein of “Island In The Sun” (this could be good), and a dance rock record in the vein of Franz Ferdinand. Quantity over quality? We’ll see. If the last 15 or so years are any indication, most of this could be garbage.

Also worth mentioning is the new Hazy Mountains album Pull Of The Moon. This is an excellent synthwave/dream pop/funk/disco hybrid.

https://hazymountains.bandcamp.com/
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:03 pm 

The new Transatlantic, The Absolute Universe is instrumentally and vocally phenomenal.

I’ve been extremely conflicted about this band. Tremendous music made in part by some of my favorite musicians. Prog to excess.

But I can’t get behind Neal Morse as a lyricist at all. The born again-isms are so strong on 2009’s The Whirlwind that I wrote the band off completely and totally skipped 2014’s Kaleidoscope. I am also sketchy on Flying Colors because of his involvement.

To be fair, I have yet to deep dive this album’s lyrics, so I am in awe of this record on a surface musical level.

It’s worth hearing the Forevermore (Extended) version, but supposedly The Breath Of Life (Abridged) version is so distinct that it’s essentially a totally different album.

And yeah, I know this band is listed on MA, but come on-there is nothing metal about this band.
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:15 am 

Yeah, Steven Wilson’s The Future Bites is amazing. As expected, really.

I know people are cold on this album because it’s not a guitar-centric rock album (fans of progressive music are weird like that), but fuck it-the writing, performances, production, textures, atmosphere, theme, etc. are all expertly crafted and carry immense emotional weight.
Obliteration

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:38 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Yeah, Steven Wilson’s The Future Bites is amazing. As expected, really.

I know people are cold on this album because it’s not a guitar-centric rock album (fans of progressive music are weird like that), but fuck it-the writing, performances, production, textures, atmosphere, theme, etc. are all expertly crafted and carry immense emotional weight.

I think quite the opposite, it's his worst album. I have nothing against pop, my problem with the album is that Steven is a bad pop artist. Vocals are bad and the lyrics are some of the dumbest stuff I've read in a while. Really heinous and dumb anti-consumerism message that could have been done by a teenager. The overall vibe I get from the concept of the album is that it was made by someone completely detached from reality with no real issues with consumerism. The marketing behind the albums is plain disgusting, how can you advertise and sell special editions most people can't afford while complaining about consumerism and special editions? Best case scenario it's all irony and he's actually laughing at... himself? Makes no sense if you ask me.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:55 am 

i'm currently listening to haerdsmaelta – all alone in the danger zone, and while i've only got to the fifth track, so far this is some really good slightly off-kilter, skilfully made modern punk rock (i'm shit at categorizing this kind of stuff, so listen for yourself)

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 am 

excellent surf rock ep here: https://losdedos.bandcamp.com/album/los-dedos

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:39 am 

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage
Absolutely love this. Dark, sad, poignant, beautifully arranged. Some great lyrics, as always, from Nick. Going to a contender for AOTY I think. Favourite tracks so far are Carnage and White Elephant

The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy
This isn't as strong as some of their earlier records, but it's still a lot of fun, and of course, Craig Finn's lyrics are incredible. Still getting into it, but I really love the songs Family Farm and Riptown

Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah - New Fragility
I hadn't listened to these guys in over 15 years, and decided to check out the new one, solely based on the fact that there wasn't a plethora of new releases at the time. Glad I did. Solid indie rock record. Favourite tracks: Thousand Oaks, Innocent Weight

Lucero - When You Found Me
I've always liked a few songs on every Lucero album, and this is no different. I don't feel like it's something I will revisit over and over, but a few really great stand out songs like Have You Lost Your Way, Pull Me Close Don't Let Go and Back In Ohio. If you like Gaslight Anthem and haven't heard of/checked these guys out, you should.

Extra shout outs for the new Mogwai, Beth Lee and Sun June. The Ricky Warwick (lead singer of Thin Lizzy these days) has a couple nice summer time rockers (Fighting Heart, When Life Was Hard & Fast)

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:01 am 

Regional Justice Center's "Crime and Punishment" is an absolutely pummeling piece of hardcore.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:23 am 

I was introduced to Paul Gilbert watching Mr Big live - what a guitarist - anyway, new record out, the first single should appeal to existing fans & anyone that likes a decent bit of widdly instrumental rock - https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul-gilbert-to-release-werewolves-of-portland-solo-album-in-june/ (edit - just realised the album isn't actually out yet, which will teach me to skim read. Happy to move if it spoils the flow !)

Artwork

Spoiler: show

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 pm 

The new Godspeed You! Black Emperor is out and it's their best in a while.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 pm 

The aggregated ratings for it are astronomical, and I enjoyed it, but none of their last few albums have had anywhere near the magic of the early ones for me.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
The new Godspeed You! Black Emperor is out and it's their best in a while.

Would very much agree with this-- I think it's easily the best post-hiatus album, and honestly? I might prefer it to F#A# (never was a huge fan of that album).

The two drone/shorter tracks are probably the highlights-- Fire At Static Valley is one of the most ominous and melancholy-sounding pieces they've done, and OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN (for D.H.) is just beautiful. The longer tracks are both definitely great, I just need more listens for them to sink in.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:06 am 

Joel Hoekstra's 13's Running Games is some pretty kickass 80s throwback hard rock. My favorite album of the year so far, actually. All-star lineup with Russell Allen on vocals, Vinny Appice on drums, Tony Franklin on bass, and Derek Sherinian on keyboards.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:58 am 

I've been listening a bit to Lana Del Rey and her new albums Chemtrails over the Country Club and I really like it. She's gone for the opposite of the debut album making this one sound underproduced and fragile and she does it really well. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes her previous albums but also to those that likes down sized, sad and/or dreamy pop music. It's well worth your time.

I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:47 am 

I don't know, I'm quite a bit let down by the new Lana album. I absolutely loved NFR, and I like most of her older stuff (besides Lust For Life), but this one just left me kind of "meh". I guess I'll have to hear it again. The only song I truly loved on the first few listens was Yosemite.

March was kind of a slow month. I feel like it's been a slow year for new music.

Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights
A decent indie rock record. Not quite the quality of the last one imo. As cheesy as a song like "The Shining but Tropical" is, I love it. I find the first three songs great, and then it trails off a bit.

Bell Orchestre - House Music
A mix of ambient/classical/baroque pop. The whole thing is meant to be listened to as one piece, as one track flows into the other. I really love putting this on as I do other things. I've found it to be super relaxing and also engaging, in a weird way. I found myself using it as a soundtrack to do yoga to in the morning.

Pretty disappointed with the new album from The Antlers. Familiars is actually in my top 50 albums of all time, and for their first album since (first in 7 years), I couldn't find much on it I loved. Also disappointed with the new Benny The Butcher album. He was on a roll with The Plugs I Met and Burden Of Proof. With the new album being called "The Plugs I Met 2", I had beyond high hopes, and was let down.

I don't know guys, maybe it's just me lately?

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:22 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I don't know, I'm quite a bit let down by the new Lana album. I absolutely loved NFR, and I like most of her older stuff (besides Lust For Life), but this one just left me kind of "meh". I guess I'll have to hear it again. The only song I truly loved on the first few listens was Yosemite.

For what its worth it took me a few listens before I could appreciated it fully.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:13 pm 

I'm just going to write a whole-ass review for ERRA's self-titled LP that released a few weeks ago, as if it were a band on this site.

/////

Many self-titled albums that are not also debuts represent a band shedding its former fanbase and sound for commercial viability. The goal of these bands is to fool their potential new fans into thinking that the ST is their first album ever. By titling them the same names as the bands themselves, these albums serve to say "this is who we are now, and everything before is nothing but an embarrassing old shame."

Other self-titled albums are ERRA's fifth album: titled as such because they are the purest expression of everything that band stands for, monumental achievements that sythesize every single aspect of the band's sound and perfect them.

ERRA plays a style of technical and progressive metalcore that represents the most extreme type of metalcore--not in the sense that they are extremely heavy, but in that they have gone beyond the roots of their genre as far as they could. This style of metalcore is too distanced from metal's straightforward riff-driven structure, yet at the same time it is too technical, too atmospheric, too grandiose for hardcore. This is pure -core--no longer a fusion of metal and hardcore, but an entirely new genre synthesized from the fusion of them and expanded into its own unique being. Bands like Invent, Animate, Blueshift, Heart of a Coward, and Northlane represent this style of metalcore. And ERRA, to be frank, is the ultimate example of it.

ERRA started off playing a style of djent-heavy technical progressive metalcore, with their albums Impulse and Augment, the latter of which I (and many) still considered one of the best metalcore albums of all time. Embracing both chug sections with complex rhythms with astructual tapping sections, ERRA's music never was comprised of riffs the way metalheads view them. When rhythm guitarist Alan Rigdon and harsh vocalist Garrison Lee left after Augment's release, the band recruited a new vocalist JT Cavey from Texas in July, and radically changed their style with their next LP, Drift. Jesse Cash, lead singer and guitarist, modified the band's sound extensively, trading away some of the heaviness for a more stripped-down and oceanic sound, as if one were falling down deep into the deepest trenches of the oceans. The album was definitely controversial, but upon release, even a guy like me who absolutely went into it expecting to hate instead came out amazed at how ERRA reinvented their sound completely and crafted music as heartfelt and technical as their previous work. I was thus excited immensely for their next LP, Neon, but that album was a rather messy and unfocused expansion of Drift's core ideas, with far worse production. I was rather disappointed, and when the self-titled was announced, I was a bit hesitant.

Thankfully, it's a good contender for their best album, and one of the best metalcore albums of all time.

ERRA (the album) is the perfect expansion to Drift's stripped-down sound that could possibly exist. Rather than the deep benthic feel of that LP, the ST focuses on almost a more soaring and open-air feel with clearer production. The instrumentals are as amazing as ever--ERRA's guitars are compromised of a few certain techniques. Firstly, they adore a style of riffing that feels almost like a metal riff, but broken up by djent-esque chugs for a staccato feel--the intro to Remnant and the verse riff Eidolon are excellent examples of this. They also adore tapping sections, which often meander without repeating themselves into a coherent melody, yet never feel aimless. These are some of my favorite parts of the album. ERRA is simply incredibly good at integrating little licks, taps, chugs, and all sorts of guitar techniques without ever being needlessly random or aimless. Technicality is threaded into the songs to improve them, never to show off. The band has no issue with chugging power chords for a catchy chorus or slowing things down when they have to be, such as the majority of Shadow Autonomous, a calm song which tastefully includes bits and pieces of technical guitarwork when they matter. 1:35 of that song is nowhere near the most complex section in the whole album, but it's one of my faves on the whole album regardless. Even when they are being more melodic and softer, ERRA never uses that an excuse to just pump out a generic procession of chugs and power chords. Breakdowns are a constant in the album, as they should be given its genre, but they are never forced, nor does the band dwell excessively on them. ERRA's breakdowns often simply appear without a big fanfare or build-up section, because that's not fitting for this kind of music and these dudes know how to make songs that flow together amazingly.

Which really truly is ERRA's biggest strength. Metalcore, and to be frank its two parent genres that form its name, can have a really large problem of each song in an album sounding near-identical from a tone perspective, but ERRA almost never falls into that trap. ERRA's songs are distinct not merely because of what notes they are playing. They feel distinct. Electric Twilight is not merely a song about a surreal psychoactive experience during a mind-melting lightning storm, the very song itself evokes that emotion from its dreamy clean vocals and haunting synths and keys; its chorus sounds as if the rain is pouring down around you with the pummeling guitar chords, and the JT's vocals as well as the slapping bass and chugging breakdown in the post-chorus bridge (and intro) are a reflection on the experience. Lunar Halo's surreal, oneiric, and celestial soundscape and tone bleed through every bit of its composition from its vocoder intro to its soaring chorus and its guitar leads that flit about. Scorpion Hymn is as dark as its name implies. Every song evokes its intended emotions as strongly through its composition as in its lyrics. ERRA's songs are about something, and not merely playing host to lyrics about something. Strip the vocals entirely, and they would still evoke these emotions. The lyrics themselves are, frankly, often impenetrable rambling word salad, but honestly I love that shit so I'm all for it.

This is due in heavy part to the production. I won't deny: I like my music to have a bit of atmosphere to it, so I already prefer crystal-clear production backed by synths, keys, or whatever the band needs to make their music work. So of course, I adore the mixing of this album, which both makes the guitars and vocals clearly legible and backs them up with tasteful synths and keys. The album depicts some strange glassy black room, and I sure feel like I'm in that place when I hear this album.

JT and Jesse's vocals are a perfect fit for the album. When he first entered the band, JT stuck a bit too much to his hardcore-ish mids, and while they form a good majority of his vocals on here, every once in a while he dips into highs and lows that show the extent of his vocal range, and in Divisionary he suddenly busts out absolutely gorgeous clean singing. Jesse handles the clean singing mostly, though, and I don't have much to say here. He's good. That's all I can say really. His cleans are never whiny or overly emo while retaining an emotional timber that makes him just a joy to listen to.

Trying to name standout sections is almost a fool's game. Where do I begin: Snowblood's glorious solo and breakdown, Divisionary's haunting ending, Remnant's pummeling intro riff, Vanish Canvas's soaring chorus? There's too many to list. The most surprising, at least, is the album closer, Memory Fiction. Rather than end the album on a long epic song (as they did on Augment and Drift with Dementia and The Hypnotist, respectively), the ST album ends on a cleans-only ballad. And you know what? I'm such a fucking fanboy for this band I don't care. It's beautiful, emotional, even includes a few delicious guitar licks and riffs, and ends the album amazingly.

Can I just take a second to talk about how amazing the song titles in this album are? Snowblood, Gungrave (a song which by the way is one of the best in the album yet I have not mentioned at all because the rest is also nearly as good and remembering every single good thing about this album is difficult), Electric Twilight, Scorpion Hymn, Shadow Autonomous, Memory Fiction. It's beautiful, frankly.

If I were writing this review for MA, I would rank this album 100% without a doubt. It is not perfect, no album is, and I personally would have liked a few more guitar solos, but a 100% doesn't mean "perfect", anyway. It means an album that is both amazing and fulfills its goals as best as it can, and ERRA does. It is a monumental achievement, and while I want to say "the only flaw is that it ends", it is so tightly crafted that I feel any addition would have to be extremely careful. Except maybe one or two more solos. Those would have been nice.

/////

Yeah I'm a pretty big fanboy of this album and band, frankly. Could ya guess? I don't think that the typical MA user would like it, but hey.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:23 pm 

I've been a massive Erra fan since right before Augment came out, but at the moment that ^ is tl;dr.

I've followed every album they've made up to this point, including Jesse's side project Ghost Atlas, and I can say that the band, as good as they still are, will never be as good as they once were. Garrison was perfection, and Augment to me still stands as not only the best thing they've ever made, but one of the best albums of the genre and a top 5 albums in general.

This new one had singles like "Snowblood" and "House of Glass" and stuff which were great, and "Divisionary" right before it came out solidifying that this would be awesome as usual (prior to this I'd say only Drift was a letdown). Which for the most part it is. But that line between Erra and Ghost Atlas has blurred so much it's basically the Jesse Cash show. With that said, there is a lot to like about this new one and it is a grower in a lot of ways. I remember first hearing "Memory Fiction" and being underwhelmed. A few more listens and it's become one of my favorite songs on the album, even if it is a Ghost Atlas song with the Erra name attached to it (or in other words, Saosin worship). As a whole, it's not a 100%. None of their albums are except maybe Augment imo.

Lots more to say, but eh, don't got time or motivation.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:35 am 

InnesI wrote:
I've been listening a bit to Lana Del Rey and her new albums Chemtrails over the Country Club and I really like it. She's gone for the opposite of the debut album making this one sound underproduced and fragile and she does it really well. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes her previous albums but also to those that likes down sized, sad and/or dreamy pop music. It's well worth your time.

Much prefer this sound. There's always something about her albums that rub me up the wrong way; on the last one I'm pretty sure it was the overproduced vocals. Hopefully going for a purposefully under-produced sound gets around a few of those niggles, as on paper she's exactly what I like in pop music (ie: slightly odd singer-songwriter).

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:53 am 

Methuen wrote:
Much prefer this sound. There's always something about her albums that rub me up the wrong way; on the last one I'm pretty sure it was the overproduced vocals. Hopefully going for a purposefully under-produced sound gets around a few of those niggles, as on paper she's exactly what I like in pop music (ie: slightly odd singer-songwriter).

I haven't explored that sense much but it sounds like exactly the type of stuff I would like as well. If you have some good recommendations on slightly odd singer-songwriters I'd gladly check them out.
Ad hominem

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:11 pm 

I've tried to get into Lana Del Rey and can't, including the album this year, plus NFR in '19 which everyone else seemed to adore. The way people describe her albums often sounds intriguing and like it might appeal to my tastes, but something doesn't click for me. She does have an interesting voice, and she may not be up for it, but I'm really curious to hear her in a folk/Americana context.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:02 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I've tried to get into Lana Del Rey and can't

Same. Never was able to get into her and didn't find what I heard appealing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:33 am 

The song that finally hooked me in was Salvatore. I find it beautiful and haunting, and sounds like something you'd hear in a David Lynch film, or in the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am 

I’m really enjoying the new Glasvegas. I dig the atmosphere this band deals in.

The new DFA79 quite wild. Highly enjoyable.
Obliteration

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:02 am 

Kanga's You And I Will Never Die is rapidly becoming one of my favorite albums this year. The blend of relaxing female vocals over saturnine yet energetic electronic backings is really infectious.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:53 am 

InnesI wrote:
Methuen wrote:

I haven't explored that sense much but it sounds like exactly the type of stuff I would like as well. If you have some good recommendations on slightly odd singer-songwriters I'd gladly check them out.

Bat For Lashes, Ladyhawke, Julia Holter - all very different, all very good. Carla Bruni (yes, Mrs Sarkozy) has some really quirky stuff in her discography too.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:32 pm 

I love Bat For Lashes.

For that matter, there's Chelsea Wolfe, Marissa Nadler, Emma Ruth Rundle, and Agnes Obel, to name a few.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:36 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Kanga's You And I Will Never Die is rapidly becoming one of my favorite albums this year. The blend of relaxing female vocals over saturnine yet energetic electronic backings is really infectious.

This is really nice - kind of reminds me of Collide, if you know them ? What's the album like as a whole, same kind of vibe ?

Agreed on Chelsea Wolfe / ERR - their collaboration single is brilliant too. Don't know the others, thanks for the recs :)

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:19 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Bat For Lashes, Ladyhawke, Julia Holter - all very different, all very good. Carla Bruni (yes, Mrs Sarkozy) has some really quirky stuff in her discography too.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I love Bat For Lashes.

For that matter, there's Chelsea Wolfe, Marissa Nadler, Emma Ruth Rundle, and Agnes Obel, to name a few.

Thank you both for the recommendations. I have only heard Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle previously. I will check out the others.
Ad hominem

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:59 am 

Methuen wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

This is really nice - kind of reminds me of Collide, if you know them ? What's the album like as a whole, same kind of vibe ?

Yeah, Collide is more rock-oriented, and the electronic elements are more trip-hop-oriented, but they're in the same ballpark, I suppose. Some of the songs are a bit more straightforward and poppier, but there's always a bit of an edge and an ethereal quality to it that I like. Her vocal harmonies have an enjoyable bittersweet quality. But I particularly like the tune I posted for its structure, it starts out more minimalistically, and saves the big "chorus" for a cathartic release in the final minute or so. It's serendipitous to discover songs that feel like an epic journey in under five minutes.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am 

InnesI wrote:
Methuen wrote:

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I love Bat For Lashes.

Thank you both for the recommendations. I have only heard Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle previously. I will check out the others.

Adding another one to this list for you: Thayer Sarrano. Check out the album Wings Alleluia.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 am 

jimbies wrote:
Adding another one to this list for you: Thayer Sarrano. Check out the album Wings Alleluia.

Cheers! :beer:
Ad hominem

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 pm 

jimbies wrote:
InnesI wrote:
Methuen wrote:

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I love Bat For Lashes.

I think you mentioned her last year and I found that a quite enjoyable album. While we're at it, I might as well drop in Darkher, Susanne Sundfor and Anna von Hausswolff. This whole "funeral folk" scene or whatever we want to call it (and I suppose some of the artists mentioned aren't technically quite a part of it) is probably one of my top three non-metal musical movements of the past decade or so.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I think you mentioned her last year and I found that a quite enjoyable album. While we're at it, I might as well drop in Darkher, Susanne Sundfor and Anna von Hausswolff. This whole "funeral folk" scene or whatever we want to call it (and I suppose some of the artists mentioned aren't technically quite a part of it) is probably one of my top three non-metal musical movements of the past decade or so.

Yeah, someone called it funeral pop in a magazine and I adopted it. Sometimes funeral folk seems more appropriate though. I got into it through Anna von Hausswolff, Chelsea Wolffe and Lana Del Rey (though she probably isn't really part of the same movement). I've also had Susanne Sundfør on my list of to-listen-to for years now but never got around to it. Will do now all the while listening to all these other recommendations. I already tried Bat For Lashes and I love it!
Ad hominem

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next